Menu

Ignore this thread!

I want some magic skinny juice!

According to my DSIL:

1Tbsp pure cranberry juice (straight, no watering down or sugaring)

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1 cup brewed dandelion tea (1 teabag steeped in a cup of water)

1 gallon distilled or filtered water (she's been using distilled, for some reason)

Put your brewed tea and both juices into a pitcher big enough to hold the gallon with a little room to spare.  Suspend your tea bag inside the pitcher, too, if you want to extract every last bit of the dandelion tea.  Fill up the pitcher with the water and chill in the fridge (tastes a little better than room temp, though you can drink it room temp, too).

• Like 2

I can imagine doing something like this when the kids are older and more independent.  Right now, I need pretty much zero weekly prep/planning.  If I put it on a list at the beginning of the week, it's almost guaranteed to fail.   ;)  Without the specific assignment list, I might actually succeed!  

#whenallelsefailsloweryourexpectations

My kids are older and I don't plan either. We just do the next thing. I used to plan but it was so much work when I rarely needed it. 

I think there are planners and not planners in this world and we should accept who we are.  ;) I still think planning can be fun, but I could waste hours doing it, and really, I'm not going to follow it for long anyway. 

• Like 3

Going gluten free to the level of someone who is gluten intolerant is pretty easy.  I'm finding that going gluten free to the level of someone with celiac is going to be much harder and much more expensive  I'm going to have to replace the toaster oven, some pans, the colander. . .   I've been told that I can salvage things like the Kitchenaid mixer if I clean it really well.  I hope so because those are expensive and the only reason I have one is because the ILs gave it to us years ago. 

So with celiac even tiny trace amounts can cause significant problems, right?

• Like 2

I think that I'm screwed.  (Sorry for the language.)  I knew that I was getting low on one important med.  And normally I would have enough to get me through to when the refill comes in but when I called to order the refill, I found that the prescription had expired.  They will call the doctor but I know from experience that this will not be a super quick process especially since they won't even call until Monday because of course I discovered this on the weekend.  Sigh. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I know its rather late in the weekend now, but could you call your doctor's on-call number and ask that doc to call over a new prescription?  Enough to tide you over until your doc can handle it?

Or would the pharmacy be willing to give you a few to tide you over until they can talk to the doctor's office?  Some pharmacies do that....

• Like 1

The Story of My Life

By Ellie

Oh, never mind. :001_tt2:

My friend came in from California and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The ho'ike (recital) at my home was wonderful. We had planned to dance on the patio, with the guests sitting in the grass. We practiced positions and entrances and exits and that whole thing. And then it rained. By the afternoon it was all sunny, but the grass was wet and not appropriate for sitting. :-) So we moved inside, and all the rehearsing of entrances and exits and whatnot instantly changed. Our motto was "Semper Gumby: Ever Flexible." The dancers did well, their friends and family members enjoyed it, and we made some wonderful memories. Also, I have a list of things we'll be working on this year. :D

Last Tuesday, my trusty 2004 Dodge Gran Caravan was towed away. :( We decided to go ahead and total it and look for something new. The Dodge had over 200,000 miles on it and it needed some work done, so totaling it seemed like the right thing to do.

Wednesday, I took an elderly friend to the emergency room. Which wasn't easy, seeing as how my car had been towed away the evening before. I had a couple of hurried conversations with my insurance company to  see if a rental car was possible until I found a new car; it was, and so I had to call the Enterprise rental car office and arrange for someone to pick me up. I went directly from there to my friend's house to pick her up. We spent four hours at the hospital. She had a UTI. Then we had to go to the pharmacy, which is inside a big ol' grocery store, and so while we were waiting I also did some shopping for her.

Thursday we went car shopping for me. We found one at the first place we went...and we spent four.long.hours taking care of business. :mad: I drove home through rush hour traffic, stopped at the grocery store, rushed home and prepared a veggie tray and dip, and went to choir practice.

Saturday morning I sang with the choir for a priestly ordination. It was my last diocesan choir performance of the year; we've been practicing twice a month since October, and sang in April (Chrism Mass), May (transitional deaconate ordination) and then yesterday.

Saturday evening we went to a local park to hear the bag pipe band that Mr. Ellie has joined, some sort of performing arts council thing. It was a beautiful park, just right for a small Highland games. I mentioned that to one of the pipers beforehand, and he said he and some others had been thinking about that, and I said I had been on a Highland games committee in California and would love to help organize one here. He took my name and contact information. Mr. Ellie sort of rolled his eyes when I mentioned "committee." :D

This morning the [regular church] choir sang for the last time until August.

Tomorrow, I have to deposit the check my insurance company has already sent me and then make a payment on the credit card we used to make the down payment. Oh, and I need to mail the title to the Caravan to the insurance company; I'll feel better sending it certified, which means a trip to the post office.

Next Saturday, we will have a thing at my church where members of the pastoral council are chosen. This is my third year, and so I will be off the council

And then...I have nothing planned except hula. I am FINISHED with rehearsals of any kind. No meetings. No responsibilities at church other than showing up. Well, ok, except for pipe band practice on Wednesday nights as I learn to play the bass drum, and maybe planning a Highland games...but yeah, other than that, I am FINISHED.

:party:

And so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 9

How bad is it if the baby's room is the laundry room? And we continue using it as a laundry room...It's a big laundry room. Does that help? Babies love white noise, don't they!

I knew someone who opted (in high school) to move into the house's laundry room so she could stop sharing with her sister (who kept getting into her things and kept the room a mess).  Might as well start them early!

• Like 5

I am fixing to suffer from summer. It isn't bad today--lots of clouds and some rain. But I'm listening to a sound I actually love (cicadas in the trees) and thinking about the sun and really feeling that this may be the year that I have to go get antidepressants to help me through. I'm not sleeping well at night (very restless) and I already dread going outside to walk dogs and take puppies to the creek. 

Just once in my life, I'd like to half-way enjoy a summer. Sigh. :mellow:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I've had a very down day. Spent most of the day in bed, trying not to care that I felt awful and that I knew things were not getting done that needed to be done. However, I'm sitting up now, and I did have a nap. I still feel very wiped out, and grateful that we don't have school tomorrow. What with one thing and another on top of being sick, there will be more than enough to do tomorrow.

• Like 2

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I know its rather late in the weekend now, but could you call your doctor's on-call number and ask that doc to call over a new prescription? Enough to tide you over until your doc can handle it?

Or would the pharmacy be willing to give you a few to tide you over until they can talk to the doctor's office? Some pharmacies do that....

This medicine is compounded so it's not as easy.

• Like 1

I just did a really quick planning session for the children's literature class I will be teaching overseeing beginning in August.   :hurray:   Right now, I am scheduled to have two students -- dd12 and dd14.  I'm hoping that ds16 will join in for an easy half credit!

• Like 4

(((Critter)))

Unusual time for seasonal depression, right?  What causes it?

Sun. The great big yellow hateful thing. It's reverse SAD. I think I've probably had it all my life.

Imma go bake GF blueberry muffins in my cave-kitchen to distract myself.

In my case it's the high heat combined with high humidity and high mosquito population (and other bitey bugs).  I can't cool down, I can't dry off (stay sweaty), and I'm mosquito candy so I'm always covered in bites (and I'm sensitive to them, so I itch like crazy).  I get cabin fever and super crabby.  This is further augmented when I can't sleep dark, cool, and quiet.

What does help is if I can put on my permethrined clothing, dab on some DEET, and go paddling on a lake.  Or go swimming for a bit in ILs' pool (though I then need to get inside when done to avoid the bugs).  Sometimes -- just sometimes -- I can manage a little time outside early in the daylight to watch the morning light, usually if it rained a lot in the late night and knocked down the mosquito population for a few hours.  Getting to watch the morning light (closest thing I have to horizons and sunrises) helps a lot.

In my floor plan for my airplane bungalow design I need to make the east-facing master window(s) either box or bay windows, with seats.  This would let me stick my face further "out", getting more of the morning light exposure while still being in my bedroom.  It can be heavenly for a just-woke-up experience.

• Like 5

So I overcame my ennui enough to move ds9's stuff out of the basement and then vacuum and deep clean and lay out sleeping bags for the kids.  And then I cleaned up the mess they'd made in my room, so I have my safe place again.   :001_wub:   I hope it's the right decision.  We really do have mice at this time of year (though so far all have been caught in the traps upon entry).  But it will be at least another week before the walls are finished and painted, and I don't think I can survive having the kids occupy my room the entire time.   Selfish mama slinking away.... :leaving:

This will be much better for all involved.  They get the basement camp experience, and you get the desperately needed respite while dealing with the rest of the renovation mess.

• Like 2

I kind of want to join a gym. I just cannot get motivated, I think I need some accountability. I wonder what the childcare there looks like, if the kids would be happy there.

Plus, honestly, I am just so darn bored.

Yeah, I'm contemplating a gym or Y membership, preferably a place with aqua fitness or aqua zumba classes for exactly these reasons.

• Like 2

So here's the laundry room- excuse the huge mess. It's the junk room right now. DH says we can't put up doors around the w/d because of how close they are to the door into the room. There's an apprx. 3x5 closet area w/ no door that you can't see very well. We'd take all the junk out, put a real floor down, put a shelf over the w/d so it's high and can be locked, and put the baby bed far away by the window. There's at least 3ft of room you can't see to the left of the window. Does it still seem pathetic? He'd probably be in the co-sleeper in our room for the first 6mos or so, but we could put his stuff in the laundry room.

Or, we could just take the w/d out and put them back into the old laundry room downstairs, but that would make me sad. We paid a guy to come in and put hookups for us up there. Baby would probably only be in the room for about 2-3 years: DS should move out and we probably won't stay here for much longer than that anyway. 

What's on the other side of the wall from the machines?  If you are actually renovating and the budget would stretch could you move that wall into the room to essentially create a laundry closet in the hall outside?  It would mean moving the connections, but it might be an idea.  It would put a solid wall between the machines and the room.

• Like 1

In my case it's the high heat combined with high humidity and high mosquito population (and other bitey bugs).  I can't cool down, I can't dry off (stay sweaty), and I'm mosquito candy so I'm always covered in bites (and I'm sensitive to them, so I itch like crazy).  I get cabin fever and super crabby.  This is further augmented when I can't sleep dark, cool, and quiet.

Yep. Not a fan of the heat, humidity or the biting bugs myself. 

• Like 1

I don't have a play room unless you count the basement and we wouldn't let him down there unsupervised until closer to 5yrs. 

The w/d are electric and the room is never humid. I think it's too big to get humid. Does the presence of chemicals bother you or the smell? I don't think it smells, but they'd be locked up high. The room doesn't have any overhead lights, so maybe we could install one and put a light with a ceiling fan to help reduce any chance of humidity or smells.

Put up track lighting.  You can even get track lighting that plugs into an outlet.  That's what we put in our "parlor" (the front homeschool room).  It didn't have any overhead lighting, just an outlet controlled by a light switch (for table lamps  :toetap05: ).

• Like 2

What's on the other side of the wall from the machines?  If you are actually renovating and the budget would stretch could you move that wall into the room to essentially create a laundry closet in the hall outside?  It would mean moving the connections, but it might be an idea.  It would put a solid wall between the machines and the room.

The other side of the wall is my DD's bathroom and bedroom. She wants us to break down the wall so she can share a room with baby, but it's not happening. I'm sure she'll thank me later.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

I stayed home from church this morning.  #migraine :(

The past two days have been awful.  I guess I need to make another trip to the neurologist to discuss options.

Good morning. I have finally started to adjust to sleeping without Rocky. Though every now and then there's a noise that I used to attribute to Rocky but is probably just the house settling or something. It doesn't scare me. I just notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for both of you.

• Like 3

I just did a really quick planning session for the children's literature class I will be teaching overseeing beginning in August. :hurray: Right now, I am scheduled to have two students -- dd12 and dd14. I'm hoping that ds16 will join in for an easy half credit!

What kind of literature?

• Like 1

The Story of My Life

By Ellie

The ho'ike (recital) at my home was wonderful. We had planned to dance on the patio, with the guests sitting in the grass. We practiced positions and entrances and exits and that whole thing. And then it rained. By the afternoon it was all sunny, but the grass was wet and not appropriate for sitting. :-) So we moved inside, and all the rehearsing of entrances and exits and whatnot instantly changed. Our motto was "Semper Gumby: Ever Flexible." The dancers did well, their friends and family members enjoyed it, and we made some wonderful memories. Also, I have a list of things we'll be working on this year. :D

Last Tuesday, my trusty 2004 Dodge Gran Caravan was towed away. :( We decided to go ahead and total it and look for something new. The Dodge had over 200,000 miles on it and it needed some work done, so totaling it seemed like the right thing to do.

Wednesday, I took an elderly friend to the emergency room. Which wasn't easy, seeing as how my car had been towed away the evening before. I had a couple of hurried conversations with my insurance company to  see if a rental car was possible until I found a new car; it was, and so I had to call the Enterprise rental car office and arrange for someone to pick me up. I went directly from there to my friend's house to pick her up. We spent four hours at the hospital. She had a UTI. Then we had to go to the pharmacy, which is inside a big ol' grocery store, and so while we were waiting I also did some shopping for her.

Thursday we went car shopping for me. We found one at the first place we went...and we spent four.long.hours taking care of business. :mad: I drove home through rush hour traffic, stopped at the grocery store, rushed home and prepared a veggie tray and dip, and went to choir practice.

Saturday morning I sang with the choir for a priestly ordination. It was my last diocesan choir performance of the year; we've been practicing twice a month since October, and sang in April (Chrism Mass), May (transitional deaconate ordination) and then yesterday.

Saturday evening we went to a local park to hear the bag pipe band that Mr. Ellie has joined, some sort of performing arts council thing. It was a beautiful park, just right for a small Highland games. I mentioned that to one of the pipers beforehand, and he said he and some others had been thinking about that, and I said I had been on a Highland games committee in California and would love to help organize one here. He took my name and contact information. Mr. Ellie sort of rolled his eyes when I mentioned "committee." :D

Tomorrow, I have to deposit the check my insurance company has already sent me and then make a payment on the credit card we used to make the down payment. Oh, and I need to mail the title to the Caravan to the insurance company; I'll feel better sending it certified, which means a trip to the post office.

Next Saturday, we will have a thing at my church where members of the pastoral council are chosen. This is my third year, and so I will be off the council

And then...I have nothing planned except hula. I am FINISHED with rehearsals of any kind. No meetings. No responsibilities at church other than showing up. Well, ok, except for pipe band practice on Wednesday nights as I learn to play the bass drum, and maybe planning a Highland games...but yeah, other than that, I am FINISHED.

:hurray:  :hurray:  and  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I've had a very down day. Spent most of the day in bed, trying not to care that I felt awful and that I knew things were not getting done that needed to be done. However, I'm sitting up now, and I did have a nap. I still feel very wiped out, and grateful that we don't have school tomorrow. What with one thing and another on top of being sick, there will be more than enough to do tomorrow.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

I just did a really quick planning session for the children's literature class I will be teaching overseeing beginning in August.   :hurray:   Right now, I am scheduled to have two students -- dd12 and dd14.  I'm hoping that ds16 will join in for an easy half credit!

I'm planning a children's literature class too, but in Spanish. It won't be ready until spring though. Or next fall. I have to read the books first...

• Like 3

The other side of the wall is my DD's bathroom and bedroom. She wants us to break down the wall so she can share a room with baby, but it's not happening. I'm sure she'll thank me later.

Is the machine hook-up wall a wall in common with the bathroom?  Any chance of incorporating your laundry area into the bathroom?  I've seen that done places.

Alternatively, could you inch the machines to the side a bit to get a little more space between them and the door, and then build a small room around the machines?  It would take up approximately half of the big room and leave you with a small room for the nursery, but you could also end up with a small hallway branching off of the main one and doors from it going into the small laundry and the nursery.  If you can put a ventilating fan into the ceiling of the laundry this could also help with any humidity.

What kind of literature?

We're going to do a children's lit class similar to what I did in college for my education degree.  Dd12 is still a bit on the immature side, so I want to hold off high school literature for a little bit longer.

So we're going to be studying children's books for different age groups, authors/illustrators, literature awards, etc.

• Like 2

We had a fun weekend visiting and birthday partying for DDnow13.  She got her wish -- her birthday "cake" was monkey bread.   :laugh:   Made without cinnamon so allergic dear cousin could have some, too.   :drool:

• Like 5

We're going to do a children's lit class similar to what I did in college for my education degree. Dd12 is still a bit on the immature side, so I want to hold off high school literature for a little bit longer.

So we're going to be studying children's books for different age groups, authors/illustrators, literature awards, etc.

Oh! I read that as a literature class for your children. :LOL:

• Like 1

The Story of My Life

By Ellie

Ellie, you are my hero.  That is one impressive life.   :svengo:   

Retreating now to my introverted cave.....

• Like 1

Which reminds me:  

We apparently have one of these in our area now.... I've seen lawn ads.   :D

AAARRRRGGHHHH!  There's one TWO HOURS away from us!   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:   They need to move just a tad closer....

• Like 1

I told BIL & SIL today (each separately) that I can tolerate noisier group visits longer when we are gathered at their house.  We also spent last night in their (new) guest bedroom and were quite comfy.  In short, they done good: chose a good house with good acoustic control, decorated it in a way that improves sound absorption, and are generally generous and accommodating hosts.  Not to slight other BIL & SIL, but I prefer this BIL/SIL's house.  This weekend I had the best whole family visit in a LONG time!  20 people all doing various things in various loud groups in the common areas, and I didn't get worn out from noise!

• Like 8

Dh has been complaining of dizziness lately - it started in NYC, which he thought was from all the up and down in tall buildings, but it is still with him a week later. He also said his joints are hurting. He is afraid he has lyme disease. Hopefully he will get to the doctor and get checked out this week.

I am still waiting on ds21 to find out if he has had the ttg (celiac) test done. He is sometimes slow to get to these kinds of things.

Our 26th anniversary is on Thursday, but we went out for dinner tonight because I/we will be tied up with the Beauty and the Beast show all week. We got an appetizer of bacon wrapped, goat cheese filled figs and shared a super delicious strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. With ice cream. :D I am so stuffed.

• Like 7

Dh has been complaining of dizziness lately - it started in NYC, which he thought was from all the up and down in tall buildings, but it is still with him a week later. He also said his joints are hurting. He is afraid he has lyme disease. Hopefully he will get to the doctor and get checked out this week.

I am still waiting on ds21 to find out if he has had the ttg (celiac) test done. He is sometimes slow to get to these kinds of things.

Our 26th anniversary is on Thursday, but we went out for dinner tonight because I/we will be tied up with the Beauty and the Beast show all week. We got an appetizer of bacon wrapped, goat cheese filled figs and shared a super delicious strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. With ice cream. :D I am so stuffed.

I'm sorry he's feeling poorly.  I hope he feels better soon.  MIL & FIL here missed out on the birthday weekend due to flu.  Might he have caught a variant of that?

Congrats on the anniversary!  

• Like 1

SIL told me this weekend that the public high school DD13 would be slated for come 9th grade had it's science-focused study track taken away (moved to another school), but she thinks they now have a Robotics lab and study track there.  I mentioned this to DD13 just now, and she started drooling.  She's also dancing with anticipation over Khan Academy having some free lesson stuff in computer science, programming, animation, and hour of code.

I know this is coming from far out in left field, but maybe, just perhaps, DD13 might be inclined towards the engineering side of things....

• Like 4

I have been good this evening.  After getting home and making everyone get their own supper (so I could catch up here!) I planned meals for the week (using up more stuff we have on hand here) and drafted a grocery shopping list for tomorrow.  I'll be trying out two more recipes from the Fresh20 cookbook, and buying myself some nice veggies as treats.

Maybe I've been good enough to earn the new veggie cookbook Amazon will be delivering tomorrow....   :leaving:

• Like 4