Menu

Ignore this thread!

No, but I came up with a name. Lisa Emily. :001_wub:

we came up with names at dinner. For the kittens. No, we don't have them yet. But we have a plethora of names. My two favorite pairs.... Midge and Molly or Dot and Dina.

I'm always so impressed by your horticultural skills!

thank you!! I love to garden. It's much more satisfying than housework.

I had to call my phone to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do that constantly

I did the thing.

I did all the things. And now I am hiding out in my bedroom. Because very noisy children. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

***WARNING: Annoyingly serious post. Apologies in advance.***

What I am looking for, I think, is a short guide to conducting a respectful discussion. Like a one-page guide. I could plant it with one of the elders whom I know. This issue has come up before (having questions mocked, not necessarily the YEC thing; we’re total outliers on that.), just not with DD, and I have raised concerns before about the tone of the leader when questioned. Any ideas or other suggestions?

I've lurked here a long time and have been sucked in to reading this thread (though I did quit for a while this winter). My guess is I've read about 75 per cent of it. I was trying to resist ever posting (I figured that would make it easier to slip out), but today's posts got to me.

Here's a link to a pamphlet such as you requested. I figure it might be right up your daughter's ally, but if the youth leader hasn't even heard of Mere Christianity (sorry, I don't know how to italicize that on this forum), it might not be what he needs. I think it's a great guide for respectful discussion, but a big part of the problem in the event you described is that there was no discussion. There was dismissal in a most uncharitable fashion.

http://www.newhopefairfax.org/files/Coffin%20Argumentation-20%20principles.pdf

I also think that Junie was on the right track when she said that the youth leader had the sense that he had crossed the line, and your daughter's answer has muddied things now. It would take great humility on her part, but would she consider writing him a brief note to confess her sin in lying to him? I think his sin was by far the greater in this situation, but if you want to respect her wishes of not going to him yourself, you might see if she's willing to admit her wrongdoing (and I admit that I feel so much compassion for her being put in such a situation that I completely understand). If the false anesthetic is removed from the stinging conscience, perhaps it could open a healing discussion. He needs an opportunity to confess his sin, too. Perhaps I'm being too charitable or optimistic here, but I wanted to propose the idea at least so that you could apply your own knowledge of your situation to it.

Now I'm going to run off and hide because I feel embarrassed by my awfully bold jumping in as a total stranger to your thread. I hope the pamphlet and the bibliography can perhaps be useful.

• Like 4

I've lurked here a long time and have been sucked in to reading this thread (though I did quit for a while this winter). My guess is I've read about 75 per cent of it. I was trying to resist ever posting (I figured that would make it easier to slip out), but today's posts got to me.

Here's a link to a pamphlet such as you requested. I figure it might be right up your daughter's ally, but if the youth leader hasn't even heard of Mere Christianity (sorry, I don't know how to italicize that on this forum), it might not be what he needs. I think it's a great guide for respectful discussion, but a big part of the problem in the event you described is that there was no discussion. There was dismissal in a most uncharitable fashion.

I also think that Junie was on the right track when she said that the youth leader had the sense that he had crossed the line, and your daughter's answer has muddied things now. It would take great humility on her part, but would she consider writing him a brief note to confess her sin in lying to him? I think his sin was by far the greater in this situation, but if you want to respect her wishes of not going to him yourself, you might see if she's willing to admit her wrongdoing (and I admit that I feel so much compassion for her being put in such a situation that I completely understand). If the false anesthetic is removed from the stinging conscience, perhaps it could open a healing discussion. He needs an opportunity to confess his sin, too. Perhaps I'm being too charitable or optimistic here, but I wanted to propose the idea at least so that you could apply your own knowledge of your situation to it.

Now I'm going to run off and hide because I feel embarrassed by my awfully bold jumping in as a total stranger to your thread. I hope the pamphlet and the bibliography can perhaps be useful.

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :party:

Thanks for caring.  :001_wub:

• Like 3

Don't go! Join us! You know you want to...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Guess what I almost forgot to put on the grocery list. Bananas! After the song and things. So I sent DH a text, and realized that over the last three days my communication style has been that of a 16 year old boy. Food. Bed. Dishes. Dogs. Bananas. Grunt. Everything is one word or less. For the record, that communication style has been quite effective...

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!! COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

It's Sunday!!!!

It's raining!!! Never rains here in May. That's give me another 3 hours of weeding to do in the garden in about two weeks!

I have bananas. I bought them at The AFSA yesterday. I also have ripe bananas to be made into bread this afternoon.

Welcome Duae Guattae!! Don't be a stranger.

Gotta leave for church soon!!

• Like 4

Hi there!  Stick around for the fun times, too!

• Like 2

Guess what I almost forgot to put on the grocery list. Bananas! After the song and things. So I sent DH a text, and realized that over the last three days my communication style has been that of a 16 year old boy. Food. Bed. Dishes. Dogs. Bananas. Grunt. Everything is one word or less. For the record, that communication style has been quite effective...

Hey, clarity and conciseness!  Use what works!

• Like 2

My poor protagonist just got bitten by his antagonist's dog. Channeling my inner shakiness and nausea for that. I hate being bitten. It happens very rarely. But I'm always a little shy and wary after I've been nailed.

• Like 3

I disagree that JJM's dd committed a sin by telling him she was fine. We don't owe others whatever info they ask about how we're feeling or anything else private. It's ok to give a vague "social lubricant" answer to preserve your privacy. He just publicly humiliated her and she probably just wanted to get away from him. Another kid she just could hVe walked away but it was an adult in a position of authorit so she had to come up with something polite to say so he would leave her alone. I would have done the same thing and not felt like it was a sin. Yeah, it might have been better to calmly reply, yes you did for xyz reasons, but that's asking an awful lot of anybody, esp a teen.

Anyway, that I do have an opinion on. :)

:iagree: Sin is about intent. She didn't want to mislead him; she was merely protecting herself.
  • Like 1

I feel very bad because dh was on his way to work and I begged him to come back and take ds12 to the doctor just to make sure what he has is the flu and not an atypical case of strep. (I was still at church waiting for dd10 to be dropped off from an overnight.) He turned around right away and wasn't upset, but I know he was really hoping to get a few hours of work done. He said he'll go tonight after dd18's recital. In the mean time, I have to take the other girls to their dress rehearsal and then straight to the voice recital. Unless his director makes a change in policy, ds12 will not be allowed to play in the concert Tuesday because of missing the dress rehearsal today. Oh well. I am hoping he is OK for his cello recital on Thursday and choir tour, which leaves on Friday.

A FAFSA on sickness!

And a FAFSA Audit on stupid eye doctors. I'm still mad about that.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Warning: FAFSA Audit Update

Believe it or not, our audit is still not over. Now they are requesting a signed copy of our 2015 tax return and W-2. Aparently, the university wants to use them to verify the amount of financial aid ds received. Which is asinine since they have it on record right there in the financial aid office. I mean, literally right there. Like, on your desktop computer which is 22 inches from your face. :banghead:

• Like 2

FAFSA!

DH's car is dead, done, kaput. He can't drive half a block without it overheating. He can't fix it. We can't afford to replace it. Maybe we can next month when his bonus comes in, but definitely not right now. And now that money can't go toward all the other things that need to be done. I swear, everytime we start to get ahead, something like this happens. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I want to just crawl back into bed and give up on life.

😭😱😠😵😖😭ðŸ™

ETA: This also means that all sanity-saving out-of-the-house activities will be cancelled for the foreseeable future.

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 2

FAFSA!

DH's car is dead, done, kaput. He can't drive half a block without it overheating. He can't fix it. We can't afford to replace it. Maybe we can next month when his bonus comes in, but definitely not right now. And now that money can't go toward all the other things that need to be done. I swear, everytime we start to get ahead, something like this happens. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I want to just crawl back into bed and give up on life.

😭😱😠😵😖😭ðŸ™

ETA: This also means that all sanity-saving out-of-the-house activities will be cancelled for the foreseeable future.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I did 6 miles in an hour on the elliptical today. I haven't done a 10-min mile since high school. I'm not even sure I ever did it then. Go me.

(Please understand that all of my "go me" posts are not meant as brags, but are rather me trying to self-motivate. In case it was not obvious. 😬)

• Like 10

Ds12 has the flu and is dehydrated. They gave him some anti-nausea medicine and said he has to drink 90oz of clear liquids with calories. The medicine seemed to help quickly because ds perked up and was already telling the nurse jokes before they left. If he starts throwing up again we have to take him to the ER.

• Like 2

Oh, bad Spud, breaking my resolution not to fight on the net. 😔 Hopefully that was not too fighty. I don't want to fight. I just remember being a teen having to go up against teachers and feeling so shaky and nauseous...it's a very brave thing your dd did!

It wasn't fighty, Spudz.

I agree!

Ds12 has the flu and is dehydrated. They gave him some anti-nausea medicine and said he has to drink 90oz of clear liquids with calories. The medicine seemed to help quickly because ds perked up and was already telling the nurse jokes before they left. If he starts throwing up again we have to take him to the ER.

Oh dear, Susan!! Where's the Bunny Slippers?? And a hot beverage for you, too!!
  • Like 2