Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's old, but The Ship That Flew is a wonderful tale. Very 1950's, though. It's a children's book, so you could read it aloud to your kids and still claim your fiction book for the month.

A Patchwork Child is wonderful! Your kids might be a little young for it, but when they get older they will probably like listening to you read it aloud.

A Child's Garden of Verses is poetry, but a long-standing favorite here and something that should be read aloud to every child. And adult.

The Buffalo Children is another good children's book that should be read aloud to the kids, and you can still claim the book for your reading list.

I love all things Terry Pratchett (mostly for adults, but some teen/tween books, too). Pay attention to the original publication dates and think about what was going on at those times -- some of his humor is commentary on real life at the time of writing.

The Secret Garden and A Little Princess again are two good read-alouds. My first introduction to them was my friend reading them aloud to me in college. Kid appropriate, but so enjoyable in adulthood, too.

Jasper Fforde is another author I quite enjoy. Adult stuff here (simply goes over kids' heads), lots of literary puns and fun. I especially enjoyed The Big Over Easy.

Charles Dickens is a favorite of mine. I love the way he plays around with words, and some of the stuff he says! He can be a little heavy going sometimes, so read him when you are not tired. Or simply re-read whatever you read when you were tired.

Mark Twain is another favorite. Notes similar to Charlie, above. The kids here really loved A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court. Such wonderful absurdities!

Jules Verne is worth checking out, too.

Anything Robert Louis Stevenson.

KIPLING! You simply MUST read the Just So Stories! I AM the Elephant's Child, and I married the Camel (humph).

O. Henry wrote a bunch of short stories that are very good reads.

Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, and any other compilations of tall tales you can find are absolute musts.

The Wind In the Willows, Rabbit Hill (the author of that one was a friend of my grandmother), Peter Pan, Alice In Wonderland -- there's a lot of old classics that are simply wonderful reads.

Can you tell I have an addiction to kids' books?

I also love Emily Dickenson. Again it's poetry, not fiction. But so worth reading.

Slightly fictionalized autobiography: Jame Herriot's books. Hilarious!

For a wonderful spoof of the stereotypical Gothic Romance: The Curse of the Concullens. Truly a wonderful read! My English teacher in high school assigned it. Most of the kids groaned over it. I laughed my head off.

I read some heavier stuff, too, including murder mysteries (both light ones and darker ones). Martha Grimes wrote more than murder mysteries, and I am enthralled by how she writes. Not lighter fare, though. Do NOT read any Elizabeth George right now -- I had to stop reading her stuff when I was pregnant and haven't picked her back up yet. Rather harsh reading when you are mother to littles. Dick Francis was another favorite and easier to handle. J. A. Jance also writes some good tales in this category.

More light-hearted mysteries: The Cat Who... books. There's a lot of them, focused on a main character (Quill) and his cat(s). Elizabeth Raisin books and anything Agatha Christie are entertaining reads.

For a light romance check out Martha Stewart, especially Airs Above the Ground. Her books were good brain-candy when I was in college.

You are my book twin

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

OMG OMG I am going to the Garth Brooks concert in Feb.  He is coming to the city and sold out of his initial 5 booked shows in under an hour (51thousand seats sold in under an hour), so he opened a few more shows.  Tickets went on sale at 10am today, the one I first tried to buy tickets for sold out in the 10 minutes it was trying to find me tickets and another show opened up.  3 pm feb 25th I am going to the concert, and I bought a pair for my folks for their xmas gift.  Prepaid for our parking already too.  So excited.  The last big concert I ever went to (and the first) was back when I was 16 and went to Bon Jovi.  I have always wanted to go to a Garth Brooks concert.  My budget may be crazy tight but this was so worth the money (Just under $80 per ticket).  I am so excited, even more than when I got to get my pic done with Tony Horton and do a live workout with him back in October haha. 

Also it is dd9's school christmas concert tonight. Very excited for that too.  I am enjoying this day, even if it is full as always, and dd9 forgot her backpack and lunch at home (swinging it by the school shortly on my way to work).  Still a good day.

• Like 11

Honestly my reading and language studies have been so neglected I'm not sure why I keep buying things.

This is where the shiny and new can kick you in the butt. I often go on hiatus to get through the stuff I already have.

I have TWTM 4. I was the nerd who pre-ordered it. You are welcome, Susan.

She has a science book out that I don't have yet. I discovered it yesterday. Drool.

• Like 3

OMG OMG I am going to the Garth Brooks concert in Feb. He is coming to the city and sold out of his initial 5 booked shows in under an hour (51thousand seats sold in under an hour), so he opened a few more shows. Tickets went on sale at 10am today, the one I first tried to buy tickets for sold out in the 10 minutes it was trying to find me tickets and another show opened up. 3 pm feb 25th I am going to the concert, and I bought a pair for my folks for their xmas gift. Prepaid for our parking already too. So excited. The last big concert I ever went to (and the first) was back when I was 16 and went to Bon Jovi. I have always wanted to go to a Garth Brooks concert. My budget may be crazy tight but this was so worth the money (Just under $80 per ticket). I am so excited, even more than when I got to get my pic done with Tony Horton and do a live workout with him back in October haha.

Also it is dd9's school christmas concert tonight. Very excited for that too. I am enjoying this day, even if it is full as always, and dd9 forgot her backpack and lunch at home (swinging it by the school shortly on my way to work). Still a good day.

That is exciting! My last concert was Dave Mathews in my early 20s. Can we say contact high, children? :lol: Sometime I want to buy tickets to something... And then I just don't do it. I would so go to Garth though. Yay you!

And working out with Tony... you so famous;-)

• Like 1

((Jean))

Well, the relaxing morning turned into not so much. MIL blood sugar was high. I am pretty sure that it was because someone sent her candy for Christmas... PSA: do not send candy to sugar-loving diabetic people. FIL was worried. It is better now, but it was a lot of explaining, questioning, testing etc. One of the worst positions I have been in in life is trying to navigate this while trying not to imply that a sweet person that I love is being... not quite truthful. It stinks.

Now I am wasting time on the boards. I must.get.off.

• Like 3

Good morning. The crud has gone down into my chest. I have gone from soprano to bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH is asking:  If you lose your voice will you not be able to type anymore?

• Like 3

OMG OMG I am going to the Garth Brooks concert in Feb.  He is coming to the city and sold out of his initial 5 booked shows in under an hour (51thousand seats sold in under an hour), so he opened a few more shows.  Tickets went on sale at 10am today, the one I first tried to buy tickets for sold out in the 10 minutes it was trying to find me tickets and another show opened up.  3 pm feb 25th I am going to the concert, and I bought a pair for my folks for their xmas gift.  Prepaid for our parking already too.  So excited.  The last big concert I ever went to (and the first) was back when I was 16 and went to Bon Jovi.  I have always wanted to go to a Garth Brooks concert.  My budget may be crazy tight but this was so worth the money (Just under $80 per ticket).  I am so excited, even more than when I got to get my pic done with Tony Horton and do a live workout with him back in October haha. 

Also it is dd9's school christmas concert tonight. Very excited for that too.  I am enjoying this day, even if it is full as always, and dd9 forgot her backpack and lunch at home (swinging it by the school shortly on my way to work).  Still a good day.

Congrats!  And break a leg to your DD!  She's going to do great!

((Jean))

Well, the relaxing morning turned into not so much. MIL blood sugar was high. I am pretty sure that it was because someone sent her candy for Christmas... PSA: do not send candy to sugar-loving diabetic people. FIL was worried. It is better now, but it was a lot of explaining, questioning, testing etc. One of the worst positions I have been in in life is trying to navigate this while trying not to imply that a sweet person that I love is being... not quite truthful. It stinks.

Now I am wasting time on the boards. I must.get.off.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

We have discovered that the big bucket of soft peppermints we bought is not a safe thing to have in this house -- I can't stop at just one, and they really raise my BG.  DD15 is valiantly trying to consume them all in short order so they will not be around to tempt me.

• Like 1

Man, I have felt like I've been scrambling since I got up. Imma eat something, then go flip laundry, walk dogs, collect library books, pack art supplies, and get ready to kick it into high gear this afternoon. 

And here I was planning to relax. Grr.

Liking in sympathy.  Go get 'em!

• Like 1

Is Pierre our new cook??? Cool!

Ok, mustard. Ketchup later. Gotta go to work.

That's a Booya/h to you, too, missy!

Yes, Pierre will step in when he thinks we are eating too much non-self-loving junk.  He's also wincing every time he hears "ketchup", though I did explain our alternative use of the word here.

• Like 5

OMG OMG I am going to the Garth Brooks concert in Feb. He is coming to the city and sold out of his initial 5 booked shows in under an hour (51thousand seats sold in under an hour), so he opened a few more shows. Tickets went on sale at 10am today, the one I first tried to buy tickets for sold out in the 10 minutes it was trying to find me tickets and another show opened up. 3 pm feb 25th I am going to the concert, and I bought a pair for my folks for their xmas gift. Prepaid for our parking already too. So excited. The last big concert I ever went to (and the first) was back when I was 16 and went to Bon Jovi. I have always wanted to go to a Garth Brooks concert. My budget may be crazy tight but this was so worth the money (Just under $80 per ticket). I am so excited, even more than when I got to get my pic done with Tony Horton and do a live workout with him back in October haha.

Also it is dd9's school christmas concert tonight. Very excited for that too. I am enjoying this day, even if it is full as always, and dd9 forgot her backpack and lunch at home (swinging it by the school shortly on my way to work). Still a good day.

That sounds like so much fun! And it's the day before my birthday...I'm jealous.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My middles are done with school until the new year. I'm spending this afternoon planning out January for them and writing up mid-year notes for my planner.  I looked back at my initial goals for them for the year, and I need to tweak a tiny bit.

I used an insane amount of double strength bleach on my boys' sheets and I am pleased that they finally smell clean. Oxyclean in previous cycles had not been strong enough.

• Like 4

I saw Garth Brooks in concert about 18 years ago - it was awesome!!!!

• Like 2

That's a Booya/h to you, too, missy!

Yes, Pierre will step in when he thinks we are eating too much non-self-loving junk.  He's also wincing every time he hears "ketchup", though I did explain our alternative use of the word here.

To clarify:  Pierre is NOT French.  Do NOT call him a French Chef.  He's Belgian, and specializes in chocolate.

Just to be clear - does that mean that chocolate is not considered non-self-loving junk?

Ketchup - of the devil

Chocolate - a Belgian delicacy

Correct?

• Like 4

And got my eye appointment rescheduled. :svengo:

I was reading a funny article today on writing. It was supposed to be serious, but was clearly written by a man who has his whole day to devote to his writing now. His comment was about not quitting your job to write (which I support). Here was the funny part. So you waste what? Three hours watching television? Is three hours a day too much to dedicate to pursuing your dream???

Buddy--you ought to take a look at how hard I had to work to find two hours of uninterrupted time per day to work on my novel. You ought to see the gymnastics I put my schedule through to get an extra hour for the month of NaNoWriMo. Three hours to watch television? What planet do you live on where there are three hours to watch television? Because I really want to visit--it would make this writing gig so much easier. That would be writers' paradise. 

ETA: :rant:

Okay. I feel better.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I am glad you are caring for the goat. She is my favorite goat and deserves to smell like daisies:-) 

I made the antipasto platter:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AKjrB2c4rOhD0LO9EY8tI2idJktu6Oedi0E

I also made the Pull Apart Bread. No link right now, but for AMJ, I think it is Carlsbad Kitchens blog or something like that.  It was very messy and I hope it turns out. I saved a little of the stuffing ingredients and put them on GF bread. I think if I were making it again (which I will be), I would eliminate the garlic salt (the bacon, cheese and butter make it salty enough). I would have gone heavier on the cream cheese. I think it needs that cooler balance. But, it should be good anyway.

I also wrapped a scarf for a friend who will be at dh's party tonight. She has had a rough year physically and I wish I could take it all away for her. At least I can wrap her in something warm, pretty and soft:-)

I get to go have mimosas with my neighbor friend in about an hour. We haven't seen each other in ages, so it will be nice. I will probably want to fall asleep when I get home at the late hour of 5pm because I never have a cocktail this early in the day. But, I will today because I love mimosas.  I need to walk there. It is about 4 degrees out. You know it is cold when people tell you to "be careful" when you are walking a whopping 1 street over, lol.  

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. :D

Now, I need to clean up the kitchen, load the washer, and check the kids' work for the day. Tonight, I plan on being a slug due to the previously mentioned mimosas.

• Like 8

I also wrapped a scarf for a friend who will be at dh's party tonight. She has had a rough year physically and I wish I could take it all away for her. At least I can wrap her in something warm, pretty and soft:-)

I love this. What a beautiful sentiment!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

So, I had cold leftover Costco pizza for supper then I went to a holiday party with delicious food that I did not eat because none of the other women were eating.  ***sigh***

:grouphug:

And that whole "I can't eat because no one else is..." I'm sorry, but I don't understand that sentiment. But, I can also be a hog, so there's that.  :laugh:

ps. I share. I don't hog it all. 

• Like 7