• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So for now the kid is sitting in, basically, and that is impacting the effectiveness of the group, right?  Might the person who included the kid be willing to consider partial attendance by said kid, in which he attends maybe one out of 4 group meetings (or some other arbitrary number the group might accept)?  The group needs freedom to be the group they were intended to be.  Including the kid in an adult's group won't give the kid the benefits intended if the group's work and behavior are modified because of the kid's youth and inexperience.

There is an impact, but I don't know if it is limiting effectiveness yet. 

I'm trying to decide which scene from my novel to submit for critique this week. I have three possible selections. I'm leaning toward the one in which my protagonist catches the teenage secondary character messing around with magic that she shouldn't be messing with. :tongue_smilie: But I'll probably chicken out. It's a good scene, though.

• Like 6

I'm trying to decide which scene from my novel to submit for critique this week. I have three possible selections. I'm leaning toward the one in which my protagonist catches the teenage secondary character messing around with magic that she shouldn't be messing with. :tongue_smilie: But I'll probably chicken out. It's a good scene, though.

Just do it!  If When you get published, you are going to have every reader silently critiquing, no?  So better to put it out there in the small group and get feedback. :)

• Like 5

Just do it!  If When you get published, you are going to have every reader silently critiquing, no?  So better to put it out there in the small group and get feedback.  :)

I suppose it could be a way to ask a teenager if the my teenager's reaction is more or less believable. :D

• Like 6

I try to choose selections that are right for word count, involve one scene, and have some conflict or suspense of some kind. I usually also try to get sections with some dialogue. That makes them interesting to read by themselves, and I can usually sum up events prior so that they make sense for the reader. I'm nearly always looking for feedback on whether I get my point across with the scene, if I've got the tension at the right point, or if it drags in any way.

• Like 4

In case you were wondering if we were rednecks... :D

When I was growing up we were friends with rich rednecks. So many adventures. So many broken bones. I was so chicken that I never broke a bone, but I watched them break several.

Eta: Rednecks should not have money. They do bad things with it.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

It is cloudy here, and it looks like rain. The daytime temps have been nice, the upper 70s. Good weather for nature walks, if I only had the time. Today is the only day this week that does not have an appointment of some sort for someone. So I'm gonna try to enjoy the day at home.

ahh, a rainy day at home! Now that sounds delightful!

I made a stupid mistake and overdrew our account. We have another transaction pending which we could have covered, but now we can't so it'll be $70 in fees instead of $35. I might take the baby into the bank and cry and ask to have the fees waved. I'm so irritated! Matt's the one that does this, not me! Oi. We're still recovering from that $1,800 loss. Everything will be better once we get our tax return. Do you think I could ask for it early? :laugh:

I'm sorry, Slashie. I hope you can get it figured out without difficulty. 

At our first therapy appointment of the day. We should have a little time between appointments. Not enough to actually go home, but we'll probably go to the park for a bit. I think I've given up on schooling him on Wednesdays. As long as we read together, I'll call it good.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

I would call it good, too!

My stupid body is trying to be sick.  Having dental work done is not helping as dislodged bacteria taxes my already compromised immune system. 

ETA:  Getting sick at this time of year has meant ER visits, 6 months straight on antibiotics one year, 7 months straight the next. . . stuff like that.  So I'm a bit nervous about this getting sick thing.

you are not allowed to get sick! Elephant Ninja Brigade being mobilized, stat! 

Last night before bed, ds11 came up to me and gave me a big hug and said "Mom, thanks for letting me play the cello. I am really glad about it." 😊

aww! Such sweetness!
  • Like 7

When I was growing up we were friends with rich rednecks. So many adventures. So many broken bones. I was so chicken that I never broke a bone, but I watched them break several.

When I was teaching jr. high we had an end of the year party at a rich family's house. Pool, tennis courts, the whole bit. What kept the kids occupied all afternoon? A black plastic tarp spread out down a hill with a garden hose and dish soap. Yay for the "Red-Neck Waterslide"!
  • Like 10

Late start today. House is picked up, laundry's rotated, dishwasher's running. We still need to school and yoga, but the kids are watching Dumbo right now.

#popcorn

I've been thinking about it and it was luck, not fear that protected me. I did a lot of stupid things with those kids.

I'm hungry. What's for lunch?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Peanutbutterdillas and veggies for the kids, spinach salad for moi.

• Like 4

Saw the dermatologist. My skin is fine. Yay me. :D

Will leave in a bit to see the ophthalmologist. There's a funny little growth on my upper eye lid, right where the lashes grow, that has been there for years and is not noticeable to the general public. I thought it should be checked out.

Monday, I cooked a chuck roast in my Instant Pot. It was tasty, but there was lots left over. So yesterday I made two frozen dinners for Mr. Ellie, with rice, roast, and gravy, and two smaller dishes with corn. So on those nights when we'er busy and there's not time to cook, or someone doesn't feel like cooking, he has two home-cooked meals in the freezer. There's still a spaghetti-and-meatball dinner in there. We only have the freezer that's part of the fridge, which doesn't give us much room for freezing meals, or I'd freeze more. Anyway...

Laundry today, watching "Lark Rise to Candleford" and ironing tonight. Preferably in jammies.

• Like 9

How do you get rid of or treat stress? There is no particular reason for the high stress levels other than just being busy and not getting enough sleep. (Don't tell me "get enough sleep" or I will elephant stomp you! I'm working on it!)

Going out. Hiking or the bookstore. Maybe a movie. Something different than the routine.

Bible. Pray.

Wine.

TeA.

Eat unhealthy things and watch a movie.

Getting enough sleep, exercise, teA, Bible and wine on a regular basis changes my life.

Sometimes my husband will spend a half hour massaging me. I know you don't like massages, but maybe sitting by candlelight and talking or similar.

You haven't been posting about going to the Y. Are you getting enough exercise?

• Like 4

My stupid body is trying to be sick.  Having dental work done is not helping as dislodged bacteria taxes my already compromised immune system. 

ETA:  Getting sick at this time of year has meant ER visits, 6 months straight on antibiotics one year, 7 months straight the next. . . stuff like that.  So I'm a bit nervous about this getting sick thing. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Last night before bed, ds11 came up to me and gave me a big hug and said "Mom, thanks for letting me play the cello. I am really glad about it." 😊

This is NOT helping.  The cello is yet another instrument I find oh-so-tempting.  I don't have the time, money, or space for all of the instruments I'd like to play!

Tell your son he has to play some for me, please.

• Like 2

I just heard squeals of distress; dd was scaling the pantry shelves to reach my secret stash of Nutella.

Would that be the 2nd grader or the 4-year-old?

I guess your stash ain't that secret.

• Like 1

There is an impact, but I don't know if it is limiting effectiveness yet. 

I hope not.

I don't begrudge the kid an opportunity to sit in with more mature writers, and I hope he actually gets some tremendous growth out of it.  I just hope it doesn't hit the group too hard and compromise what the group gathers for in the first place.

So, when might your short story get into print?   :bigear:   We need to know when to brag, and when to throw a party in your honor.

• Like 2

Aww, why chicken out?  I bet it's good!

• Like 2

My girls are outside playing with their "plastic-grocery-bag kites" - we finally have a windy day!

In case you were wondering if we were rednecks... :D

Sounds perfect!  We so seldom get enough wind to fly kites and usually have plenty of kite-eating-trees around anyways.  Maybe they won't find grocery bags so appetizing!

• Like 1

How do you get rid of or treat stress?  There is no particular reason for the high stress levels other than just being busy and not getting enough sleep.  (Don't tell me "get enough sleep" or I will elephant stomp you!  I'm working on it!) 

Among other things I visit ITT....

• Like 4

How do you get rid of or treat stress?  There is no particular reason for the high stress levels other than just being busy and not getting enough sleep.  (Don't tell me "get enough sleep" or I will elephant stomp you!  I'm working on it!) 

Jean, is it stress or exhaustion?  I know that when I get overtired even little things are overwhelming.  I will also feel my heart race and feel shaky.  It's not really stress, though.  The stress feelings are just a symptom of exhaustion.

I'm really sorry that you are feeling badly. Being chronically tired is a horrible feeling and does terrible things to your body. 

Take care of yourself, friend. :grouphug:

ETA:  It's a LOVE ON JEAN BOOYA!

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 6