Menu

Ignore this thread!

I got to Aldi and there was a line of 30 people waiting for the store to open.  Turns out they were trying to get one of the 13 ($80!) wine Advent calendars.  Many people were disappointed.  There were a lot more cheese calendars available, but even those were gone shortly after I got one (for ds13's birthday).  No fights broke out. :biggrin:  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I got to Aldi and there was a line of 30 people waiting for the store to open.  Turns out they were trying to get one of the 13 ($80!) wine Advent calendars.  Many people were disappointed.  There were a lot more cheese calendars available, but even those were gone shortly after I got one (for ds13's birthday).  No fights broke out. :biggrin:  

I don't think I need to be drinking wine everyday for 25 days. I do like the idea of an adult calendar though. Perhaps 25 different treats. Dry cheese one day, cashews the next, pistachios... I could get into that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Adult advent calendars seem to be a thing this year.  Or maybe they've been around awhile and I'm just now noticing them. . .  

They are a relatively new thing.  I used to buy an extra chocolate one for my husband and I each year because we wanted to celebrate too. Neither of us drink, so the beer a day or wine and cheese ones aren't appealing to us....but I wholly embrace this new tradition!

• Like 1

I am alive. My mother flew home yesterday and we are all recovering from the visit. Some of us were ill just before she came and dh and I are coming down with something now but for the most part we were healthy and feeling well while she was here.  My cousins came over on Sunday and we had an early family Thanksgiving.  I cooked for three days to make it happen, but I'm glad I had a chance to make all of the old family recipes. (And I have a lot of empathy for my grandmother who clearly cooked for at least three days to make those dishes all happen as well.)

Older Dd is contemplating formally asking me to homeschool her again. We've been talking about the benefits and drawbacks of each situation and she's contemplating her feelings on the matter.  She's very frustrated that classroom disciplinary matters are taking the bulk of the instruction time at school, but she loves having specials, social time, and recess.  Our plans are still to pull her out after elementary school regardless of what she decides now, but dh is still concerned about my health. I am currently still after schooling the girls, but it *has* been lovely having mornings to work with Oldest and to take care of all of my medical stuff.  I don't know what I'm going to do. In my ideal world, where I'm healthy and my kids have no learning issues, and we have money, I'd homeschool everyone and do more outside classes and music lessons.  It's just tough making decisions in my real world.  I'm praying about it and dh is too and we'll see what happens....

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Any of you ladies been to an acupuncturist?  My mom is contemplating having it done and asked me what she should be looking for in a clinic and doctor, because I go every other week (sarcasm emoji).

I watched it done to a dog once. Is that helpful?

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Any of you ladies been to an acupuncturist?  My mom is contemplating having it done and asked me what she should be looking for in a clinic and doctor, because I go every other week (sarcasm emoji).

I have.  It doesn't hurt.  The acupuncturist sat down with me prior in a free consultation to discuss my health very comprehensively.  The clinic was clean and well managed.  They also sold Chinese herbal medicines but I didn't take any of those.  In my case though I discontinued it after awhile because it made no difference to my pain levels (which is why I was going).  Others I know have been helped a lot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have.  It doesn't hurt.  The acupuncturist sat down with me prior in a free consultation to discuss my health very comprehensively.  The clinic was clean and well managed.  They also sold Chinese herbal medicines but I didn't take any of those.  In my case though I discontinued it after awhile because it made no difference to my pain levels (which is why I was going).  Others I know have been helped a lot. 

Than you so very much!  Are there any question she should ask?

Just now, mama25angels said:

Than you so very much!  Are there any question she should ask?

Look for reviews online first. 

Is the acupuncturist licensed in her state? 

Are needles single use?  (they should be)

What process do they have for evaluating progress?  (many places will tell you what to expect after a month of treatment, for example)

Are there any side effects for the treatment?

How frequent will the sessions be?  (In my case it was more than once a week at first and then tapered down to once a week and then once every two weeks and then once a month)

• Like 2

We went to homeschool ice skating this morning at dd's request.  We got there at the start, she put skates on, she went on the ice.  For 5 minutes.  Nobody we knew was there yet and this particular place doesn't allow the walkers for anyone over 5.  The past couple of times dd went (mostly parties) she used the walker for about 10 minutes and then was fine.  Just long enough to get over her anxiety.  The person monitoring the ice said we could rent one, but the person taking the money said absolutely no one over 5 years old.  So, that was a bust and dd felt really awful because she "chickened out".  

We ran by the grocery store for soft pretzels because dd was also disappointed that the snack bar wasn't open yet (they used to go there with their old nanny so she remembered), then it was a beautiful fall day so I decided to take them to the zoo.

We ended up having a great time at the zoo.  Dd mentioned how the day started out so awful and got much much better.  She LOVES touching the stingrays and there was one at the zoo that kept going around splashing people.  It was really funny.'

It's already Wednesday and I am WAY WAY behind on my to-do list for the week.  My house is still a mess, my classrooms are an even worse mess (because we had 4-H last night), I have a ton of planning to do.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Look for reviews online first. 

Is the acupuncturist licensed in her state? 

Are needles single use?  (they should be)

What process do they have for evaluating progress?  (many places will tell you what to expect after a month of treatment, for example)

Are there any side effects for the treatment?

How frequent will the sessions be?  (In my case it was more than once a week at first and then tapered down to once a week and then once every two weeks and then once a month)

Thank you Jean!

• Like 1

I just want  you all to know I got library books turned in. On time. Before on time. Early.  

And, I also delivered a load of clothes to the thrift shop. That should have been done before I went to Costco, because when I opened up the back of the Sienna to put all my stuff from Costco... I saw a ton of bags that hadn't been delivered to the thrift shop.?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Dd14 is happily tearing apart some Halloween costumes I bought for her today.

She is always looking for fabric for her sewing projects.  I was able to get quite a few costumes at 90 percent off.  It's cheaper than buying fabric for the kinds of things that she's working on.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Junie, that's an awesome idea!  Dd20 will sometimes buy clothes/linens at Goodwill for fabric.

Today is the last day of the semester at dd15's tutorial.  Yay!  I love that they are done so early!  The high school kids will be assigned a little work over the break, but it's very manageable.  Spring semester ends in April.  Also awesome.

I need to practice my orchestra music today.  Rehearsal tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!

I have a meeting this morning at DS1’s school to discuss his grades. Not looking forward to this. The gals I am meeting with are great, it’s just the subject matter.... There seems to be no answer. And so now, we’re really asking ourselves, why would a boy, who has no obvious learning disability, who consistently tests average on all the tests, be failing two classes and getting D- in 2 classes? And these grades are typical of him. Last year first semester he failed 3 classes. Second semester he failed one, and got a falling D- in another. He likely would have failed that one had the semester not ended when it did. And nothing, whether positive things (prizes) or negative things will motivate him. So, the question is why?? Last spring we had him at a well known tutoring place and the owner who tested him and worked with him some said he should be an A-B student, looking at colleges. But the reality is, he probably won’t graduate high school. And we don’t know where to go for help.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  It's Friday Eve!  Cold and misting rain this morning.  !

We're off to work early this morning, because I need to leave just before 3 this afternoon.

I would love cold and misty. Although I am absolutely not complaining about our weather. It is beautiful and the trees are gorgeous. Autumn is our best season here.

• Like 3

Krissi,

I don't know your ds1, but I can tell you my experience.  Maybe it will help in some way.

I was a good student in elementary school and 7th grade.  Eighth grade and up -- I really didn't care.  I didn't get horrible grades, but they were much lower than they should have been.

My sister (1 year younger) was always known as "the pretty one".  I was "the smart one".

Our junior high divided kids up into sections based on "smartness".  The powers that be thought that people wouldn't figure out that some sections were "college prep" and others were "we just hope you make it to the next grade"; everyone knew which section was which by the end of the first week of school.

In 7th and 8th grade I was placed in the 3rd highest section.  I would have liked to have been in the 2nd section -- I thought that I could do it -- but I was ok with being in 3rd.

When my sister entered 7th grade, she was placed in a middle-of-the-road section.  My parents apparently were not pleased about this and the school gave my sister some test.  Suddenly she was placed in the top section.  Two sections above me.

And I quit trying.

I was so jealous.  And mad.  

If she was going to be "the pretty one" and "the smart one", then I figured it didn't matter what I did.

I felt like my parents loved her more than me.

All this to say: talk to your ds and maybe even share my story with him.  See if there's something going on inside him that is causing him to not care about his grades.

Hugs to all of you.

• Like 6

This week is running out way too fast.  

Anyone know what kind of insoles I can buy on Amazon would work best if I had plantar fasciitis (doesn't really flare up anymore) and have bad knees and have really good Brooks sneakers that helped a lot, but are getting worn down and I don't want to buy new sneakers quite yet so I want to get some insoles that will help revive them?

I'm on my feet on ceramic tile for 4 or 5 hours a day, plus try to work-out occasionally.

Baby is going to be one of those kids who has to come home to eat lunch in kindergarten. Or college. He does not want to drink from a cup or bottle! He’s fine with food but bores of it quickly. 

I’m not trying to wean now but I would like to mix it up some. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!

I have a meeting this morning at DS1’s school to discuss his grades. Not looking forward to this. The gals I am meeting with are great, it’s just the subject matter.... There seems to be no answer. And so now, we’re really asking ourselves, why would a boy, who has no obvious learning disability, who consistently tests average on all the tests, be failing two classes and getting D- in 2 classes? And these grades are typical of him. Last year first semester he failed 3 classes. Second semester he failed one, and got a falling D- in another. He likely would have failed that one had the semester not ended when it did. And nothing, whether positive things (prizes) or negative things will motivate him. So, the question is why?? Last spring we had him at a well known tutoring place and the owner who tested him and worked with him some said he should be an A-B student, looking at colleges. But the reality is, he probably won’t graduate high school. And we don’t know where to go for help.

How does he generally do with managing time and organization? Does he follow through on chores at home? Is his room orderly?

Does he seem happy? 

I struggled in high school--everyone though I just wasn't trying. Turns out I had undiagnosed ADHD.

Depression or substance abuse are also possibilities when a kid is underperforming.

Does he have friends? Does he have things in life he does enjoy and puts effort into?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!

Depression. Change the gender of your pronouns here and you're telling a story about me and it was depression.

• Like 3