Menu

Ignore this thread!

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet is doing what she can to make me move.  She rang her doggie doorbell so that she could run out to chase squirrels.  I said "Really?" and she came over to lick my hand adorably so that I would be more inclined to get up to let her out.  ? 

And so did you get up to let her out? Or were you just inclined?

• Haha 1

Hot here too. We have 91. The baby birds on the light on the back porch are panting. The chickens are panting. The husband is panting. The only things happy are the bugs. We have had a horsefly explosion. It's not safe to walk without a ball cap.

• Sad 1

Hi Ladies! We’re back!! All recovering from car sickeness. The camp is a 1 1/2 hour drive, but it’s horribly curvy and everyone is green around the gills. We had a great time. The weather was perfect, well, a little cold Friday and Saturday. I went on the zip line 3 times. Slept horribly, but that’s ok. It is so beautiful up there in the mountains. But it’s good to be home again.

• Like 7

Krissi, you daredevil!  

What is Carne Asada, and can you come and teach ds22 how to make it?

I finished the arrangement of Music for a Found Harmonium, rearranged some plants on the deck, cleaned the toilet, and tied a successful taut-line hitch.  I think that's enough for today.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Junie said:

I want sushi.

I will probably end up with jello.

Bah.  Can you have raspberry jello with whipped cream?  

11 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

A pox on ye 24 hr plague and sick stomachs. 

I revised and am putting in revisions into the document. Also cooking pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage for dinner.

Bacon, Everyone!  Did you see that?  Critter has BACON!!

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

It’s supposed to be 100 degrees here tomoorrow. I’m leaving this state and moving with Slashie to Alaska.

Too far!  Don't leave us!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

I can haz Krissi! 

Junie! Embrel! Ahora!

Gracias.  Yo lo tengo.  Voy a esperar hasta que el Enbrel no esta tan frio.

(I'm sure there are some errors in that.  Maybe it will bring Renai out of hiding.)  :)

• Like 3

I started reading "The Soul of Black Folk", from SWB's facebook thing, and also downloaded "I, Alex Cross", which was on the PBS list.  Have you seen that?  There is a list of 100 novels and you are supposed to vote for your favorite and then we'll know what The Great American Read is.  There are a lot of books on there that I haven't read.  Apparently I have until Oct. to read all of them and then pick my favorite.  :laugh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi, you daredevil!  

What is Carne Asada, and can you come and teach ds22 how to make it?

I finished the arrangement of Music for a Found Harmonium, rearranged some plants on the deck, cleaned the toilet, and tied a successful taut-line hitch.  I think that's enough for today.

Marinade flank steak in beer, lemon or lime juice, a splash of teriyaki sauce. Grill. Slice. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Day 130 10000 steps. 

Day 1 of hip exercises. 

Today I went for a hike with Dd, Juliet, my neighbor  and her dog. Thus the 10000 steps. My goal is still 6500. 

My hips are very unstable. If I stand up after an hour of standing, I am tottering. So this is my attempt to stay out of a wheelchair as I age. 

Question:  Is this an hour of standing (mostly) still or an hour of standing and moving around.

I can walk around for a while, but I can't stand in place for more than a few minutes.  Singing in church is difficult when we are asked to stand. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

Question:  Is this an hour of standing (mostly) still or an hour of standing and moving around.

I can walk around for a while, but I can't stand in place for more than a few minutes.  Singing in church is difficult when we are asked to stand. 

Oops. Typo. One hour of sitting. I think my hip muscles shrink up or something. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Junie said:

Quoting you a second time to say that standing in place is definitely harder for me than standing and moving. 

• Like 2

We have an Ohuhu stove and an Etekcity version of the MSR pocket rocket.

The Esbit solid fuel tablets started to simmer at 2 minutes and brought a rolling boil at 5 min. One tablet extinguished at 11 1/2 min.  It was “supposed” to last 14 according to the package.

The Etekcity brought water to simmer at 3 1/2 minutes and to a rolling boil at 5 minutes. We turned the fuel off afterwards, but there was obviously considerable fuel left. At some point we’ll run through a whole tank just to calculate run time....but I didn’t have a lot of extra time tonight.

The Pieto igniter on the Etekcity lit immediately. It took several tries to get the Esbit tablet to light, and it smells super fishy.

We are trying to diversify our camping gear....but also calculate total fuel costs as part of the deal. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The Ohuhu wind shield works nicely and folds compactly, fwiw. We didn’t get one initially, but it worked well tonight as we were testing on an evening with strong breezes.

We loved the Jetboil, though if we use it again on family trips, it would be helpful to have a larger capacity cup.  We used it many times every day for meals and coffee and didn't use up the fuel canister.  (We brought an extra along just in case.)  The Ohuhu worked great for us at home but both times when we used it out in the woods, it was really hard to get it going and keep it going.  I think it was just too humid.  (We didn't bring alcohol fuel for it - only used found twigs and some hardwood fuel pellets and dryer lint that we brought along.  On the backpacking trip it worked better with some vaseline-soaked cottonball firestarters - they burned well enough to dry out our "dry" twigs.  We just never gathered enough twigs to keep refueling and heat more than two pots of water.)  

The pocket rocket stoves are so lightweight and consistent - I will have to see how large a pot they can handle.  It would definitely drop some weight in someone's pack over the Ohuhu.  :biggrin:

Good morning!

Rainy and maybe stormy today.  At this moment, all 6 kids are in the kitchen emptying and loading the dishwasher.  Could be the scene of some excitement before long - the kitchen isn't that big.  :biggrin:

I need to get myself in gear and get things done.  Tackle!  But first, 

Coffee!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Rainy and maybe stormy today.  At this moment, all 6 kids are in the kitchen emptying and loading the dishwasher.  Could be the scene of some excitement before long - the kitchen isn't that big.  :biggrin:

I need to get myself in gear and get things done.  Tackle!  But first, 

Coffee!

We have never attempted this, but I can just imagine.  Our kitchen isn't big enough for all 6 kids to empty the dishwasher either.  (Not that they would want to.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!!

Home!! It felt so good to sleep in my own bed. Of course, we left the widows open because #hot and a very lonely kitty woke us up at about 4:30am.  So, now i’m up COFFEEing, ITTing and will be devotiOning out on the patio and she is finally happy. 

DS1 has finals today.

Regular school for the rest of us.

• Like 7

On 5/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, Susan in TN said:

In honor of her most wonderful weekend, I am making Krissi's famous ranch dressing.  (And will make blue cheese while I'm at it.)

How did the dressing turn out?? Did I tell you that the magazine actually had two base recipes, one for oil and vinegar and one for creamy and then each base had 6 different things you could add to make different dressings? I’ll try to take a picture and post it here. It’s really quite awesome. Blue cheese is another variation on the theme.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Good morning, ITT!!!

(But you must imagine that I said this the way Smee did in "Hook").

Did we tell you that Junie and I met IRL last October?

That was so much fun!  Let me know the next time your nearish me and maybe we can do it again!

Oh, and if you can find the picture of us can you PM it to me? 

• Like 2