• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

And I forgot to comment about the Prednisone.

I go into serious 'roid rage.  It's not pretty.  I become a monster with a bazooka in one hand and a flame thrower in the other.  

I hope to never, ever have to take it again.

Dunno, Junie. Sounds pretty hot to me.

teehee.gif

• Like 5

I'd probably go with a middle school text and modify it to make it simpler. Then and again, I'm not entirely sure how you're planning on approaching it, so, your method might be better. Like you said, you want to get them reading ASAP (I mean reading short texts). If you were to wait a couple of years, using a modified middle school text would be so much easier to do than if you were to try it now, I'd imagine.

Some more thoughts on vocab words from stuff I stumbled across last night: Dutch 12yos know about 17,000 Dutch words. Dutch kids who grow up in homes speaking a foreign language as their first language (usually Arabic or Turkish, neither of which is an Indo-European language) know about 10,000 Dutch words at 12yo. For reference, American 12yos know about 12,000 English words. I'd assume that the more words you know in your native language, the more time you'll have available to learn words in a foreign language, and the more likely you'd be to encounter cognates (of course, the latter only works if the language is in the same language family). 

Also, when I went to Google (in English) about how many vocab words per day, among the first results I came across a bunch of threads where people were talking about 100 foreign vocab words/day. Which is *maybe* doable short term for some people, but that'd be 36,500/year... now, I know there exist people who can memorize the phone book, so, I'm not going to say it's impossible, but for the overwhelming majority of people... yeah, that'd be impossible. 

I don't want the work/stress involved with a middle school text at this point, especially since he likes to take his school books to bed. I was like "Let's take a year to learn the Greek alphabet" and he took the book to quiet time and had it memorized in like 2 days.  :mellow:

Fluent Forever suggests 30 words a day for an adult. I love the philosophy of *how* to acquire a language with FF, but not the speed. I can see doing French with my English/Spanish reading/speaking child, but we're taking Japanese at a snail's pace. People who know more about it than me say things like stroke order is important and things like that will not be mastered with FF speeds.

We have done ZERO foreign language this year.  :(

Yeah, I thought he hated Athenaze for some reason. This looks like the polar opposite. There are streaming videos, too. Because iPad.   :hat:

• Like 2

🎈🎈🎈🎉 Happy Birthday, Mom of Jean! 🎉🎈🎈🎈

(((JJM)))

Jean, can I send dd19 over to talk about A&P with Events Planner? She is so excited to get back to school and That Class, it's about driving me nuts!

What's the problem?  I'm teaching it to dd so I might be able to help in some way. 

What's the problem? I'm teaching it to dd so I might be able to help in some way.

Dd19: Mom! Did I tell you about the "such and such" system? <insert lengthy explanation> And when this happens, it effects the "so and so thingamajiggy" like this! <insert lengthy explanation> And next semester I think we're going to do the "hense and thus" system and the lab will be so awesome and we get to disect "these various things" and maybe I'll get to hold another brain!

Me: That's nice, dear. I'm doing our taxes now.

Repeat 20 times a day.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

Dd19: Mom! Did I tell you about the "such and such" system? <insert lengthy explanation> And when this happens, it effects the "so and so thingamajiggy" like this! <insert lengthy explanation> And next semester I think we're going to do the "hense and thus" system and the lab will be so awesome and we get to disect "these various things" and maybe I'll get to hold another brain!

Repeat 20 times a day.

I love her excitement! 

• Like 1

Repeat 20 times a day.

:lol:

Which materials did you order?

Just some first words stuff - I have to teach myself Russian if we're going to do this, LOL.  Which I don't mind.  I like languages.  But it's a whole different alphabet, so...

Little Linguists Russian For Kids*

First Thousand Words in Russian (Usborne)

Russian Picture Word Book

If he doesn't run away crying after the first few weeks, I'll look into something more substantial for next year.

* A mistake - I thought it was a different book. :glare:

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

I don't want the work/stress involved with a middle school text at this point, especially since he likes to take his school books to bed. I was like "Let's take a year to learn the Greek alphabet" and he took the book to quiet time and had it memorized in like 2 days.  :mellow:

Fluent Forever suggests 30 words a day for an adult. I love the philosophy of *how* to acquire a language with FF, but not the speed. I can see doing French with my English/Spanish reading/speaking child, but we're taking Japanese at a snail's pace. People who know more about it than me say things like stroke order is important and things like that will not be mastered with FF speeds.

If Japanese is anything like Chinese, once you've learned some of it, you'll get some intuition about stroke order, so that should help, a lot. 

Mine memorized the Greek alphabet in no time too, and I didn't even make them. It's just 24 letters though - it shouldn't take a long time.

30 words a day is a lot, in the long run. After a year, you'd almost be at a 12yo level, and after 2 years at an adult level, and then after that at well-educated adult level. I doubt that's really sustainable, since the words would be becoming more and more rare, so you'd be getting less and less reinforcement from reading and watching TV etc. Getting to a 12yo level is relatively easy, getting to a grown-up level is harder, and I just don't think it can be done linearly, and then getting to the level of a well-educated adult... I don't know. It takes time. If it didn't, more native speakers would get to the level of well-educated adult. 

• Like 1

Just some first words stuff - I have to teach myself Russian if we're going to do this, LOL.  Which I don't mind.  I like languages.  But it's a whole different alphabet, so...

Little Linguists Russian For Kids

First Thousand Words in Russian (Usborne)

Russian Picture Word Book

If he doesn't run away crying after the first few weeks, I'll look into something more substantial for next year.

The alphabet isn't that bad - just that that thing that looks like a gamma can have either a g or a v sound. 

Yeah, I thought he hated Athenaze for some reason. This looks like the polar opposite. There are streaming videos, too. Because iPad. :hat:

It was shelved because of lack of time and commitment on my end. My child is no John. Anything school related is force fed here.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

I had a roommate once from Eastern Europe. Super innocent (was so shocked when two of the students were engaging in forbidden relations that she said her mother would never have let her come if she’d known). Her English wasn’t quite fluent yet. She was a big Eminem fan and would sing along to some seriously eyebrow-raising lyrics not knowing what they were. I didn’t have the heart to tell her but I probably should have.

Sometimes in Zumba some of the Spanish speaking dancers tell the instructor what we are really dancing to.  :scared: :rofl:

• Like 4

The alphabet isn't that bad - just that that thing that looks like a gamma can have either a g or a v sound. 

"that thing that looks like a gamma"

Um, either it's a gamma or it's not, no?  If it looks like a gamma, chances are it's a gamma. 

Unless I am not understanding your comment.

I wonder why Spotify is playing tons of German rap for me?  I know that I'm eclectic but this is a bit surprising even for me.  (It's not half bad though.  But I have no idea if the lyrics are clean or not.)

I love German rap.

If Japanese is anything like Chinese, once you've learned some of it, you'll get some intuition about stroke order, so that should help, a lot. 

Mine memorized the Greek alphabet in no time too, and I didn't even make them. It's just 24 letters though - it shouldn't take a long time.

30 words a day is a lot, in the long run. After a year, you'd almost be at a 12yo level, and after 2 years at an adult level, and then after that at well-educated adult level. I doubt that's really sustainable, since the words would be becoming more and more rare, so you'd be getting less and less reinforcement from reading and watching TV etc. Getting to a 12yo level is relatively easy, getting to a grown-up level is harder, and I just don't think it can be done linearly, and then getting to the level of a well-educated adult... I don't know. It takes time. If it didn't, more native speakers would get to the level of well-educated adult. 

FF is supposed to get you fluent in 3 months and then it's just practice.

Are you doing anything for listening/speaking, or just books?

Russian should be listened to by all people at all times.

It shelved because of lack of time and commitment on my end.  My child is no John.  Anything school related is force fed here. 

Give me time.

Sometimes in Zumba some of the Spanish speaking dancers tell the instructor what we are really dancing to.  :scared: :rofl:

Yep. Even The Macarena is nasty.

• Like 2

Um, either it's a gamma or it's not, no?  If it looks like a gamma, chances are it's a gamma. 

I thought it was called something else in Russian than in Greek. But maybe not. I don't know. Maybe the thing that looks like a gamma is called a gamma too in Russian. Anyway, that thing. 

FF is supposed to get you fluent in 3 months and then it's just practice.

You're not fluent until you know about 20,000 words, imnsho. So, that'd take about 2 years at 30 words/day. Which is unlikely to be sustainable at that pace for most people. After 3 months at 30 words/day you'd know only about 2700 words - enough to get by, but nowhere near enough to converse about w/e you want.

Russian letters don't have names. It's just the sounds.

If I remember correctly what the short person told me.  I'd ask her but she's busy with her Russian tutor! :laugh:

• Like 4

I thought it was called something else in Russian than in Greek. But maybe not. I don't know. Maybe the thing that looks like a gamma is called a gamma too in Russian. Anyway, that thing. 

You're not fluent until you know about 20,000 words, imnsho. So, that'd take about 2 years at 30 words/day. Which is unlikely to be sustainable at that pace for most people. After 3 months at 30 words/day you'd know only about 2700 words - enough to get by, but nowhere near enough to converse about w/e you want.

I don't know any of this stuff. It's kind of irrelevant to me at this point.

Remember when I was upset that my godson was being held back in kindergarten? Well, now his sister is failing 1st so mom brought her home. They're using the state's virtual academy. I assume this is a good thing.

As long as the mom isn't just sticking them in front of a screen and ignoring them, it's a good thing.  They are so young. 

• Like 3

I don't do languages well. Maybe my brain doesn't process language quickly enough. My dad, on the other hand, learned Hebrew when he was in his 60's - the first foreign language he ever attempted. Dd15 loves Spanish and listens to Spanish radio a lot. Don't think she's learned the Macarena. :D

In other words, all languages here except basic Latin are outsourced!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

My brain often cannot process (American) English accents, expecially if they are Deep South or very fast New England, though I'm getting better. When I was in college, I struggled to understand Southern Missouri accent unless I could watch the speaker's face and partially lip-read. No question where my kids get their auditory processing issues! 🙄

• Like 1

I had to do a very intense English tutoring assignment in the past (in Japan).  The poor guy was sweating buckets because his boss sat in the class with us monitoring his progress.  On the last day, he told me that he was being transferred to Alabama!  I wonder if he thought that I had totally taught him wrong and if he understood anything that anyone said to him? 

• Like 6

My mom grew up in northern Pennsylvania, so she has a very Yankee accent.  My father was from rural Arkansas, so a Deep South accent.  I got used to both.

When I went to college in the South, I picked up a lot of southern accent that (I think) is mostly gone.  I do say "Y'all", though, instead of the Youze Guys that I grew up with.

ETA:  Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

As long as the mom isn't just sticking them in front of a screen and ignoring them, it's a good thing.  They are so young. 

She's a good mom.

Maybe my brain doesn't process language quickly enough.

This is totally a thing! This is why I don't think language should be mandatory in school. Either start it in elementary or leave the kids alone. I took Spanish in high school because I was afraid to learn a language from a book.

• Like 3

School is done. Housekeeping is done. I proofread a chapter, prepared my critique section for the meeting tonight, printed off a poem, entered a writing contest, and got the books to take back to the library. I am taking lots of cough drops with me tonight.

#productive

#itired

• Like 3

Tomorrow is my birthday, people!! I’m really having a hard time with it. I did 30just fine. I was very glad to get out of my 20’s. Forty was not a problem. But 50....I’m getting depressed. And not for some vain “i’m Getting wrinkles and my youth is fleeting†sort of reason. I’m just looking at aging in the face with my own parents, especially my dad, and my in-laws and my friends’ parents (a good friend of mine has a dad in hospice right now) and I’m like, “I don’t want to do this!!†Of course, it’s not like I have a choice or anything.

• Like 4