Menu

Ignore this thread!

So much for Mt. Washmore, my dryer is no longer getting hot.   :glare:   We checked the breaker, it's fine.  When dh gets back I guess he'll start checking heating element, fuses, etc.  

Did you check the vent duct-work?  Ours wasn't drying, and it was a rag in the ducting that was the culprit.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Sick kids can go to the stores in pjs. Well, and a coat and shoes of course. 

(((Gymnast)))

Yeah, usually. But she was in a gown, because she was so warm. And it was in the low 30s outside at the time, so...

I wound up waiting for dh, who had come soon after, and they waited in the truck while I went in and got stuff. (oh, and she wore regular clothes)

• Like 4

Dd6’s stuffy (Lamby) got a Christmas present from Santa this year. (A lovely, lacy straw hat, which she wore to church). So....yeah stuffies are still pretty real to her. ;)

I have a tiger that I've had since was a toddler. She's very real. She is the matriarch to all my other stuffies.

• Like 6

Yeah, usually. But she was in a gown, because she was so warm. And it was in the low 30s outside at the time, so...

I wound up waiting for dh, who had come soon after, and they waited in the truck while I went in and got stuff. (oh, and she wore regular clothes)

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Is Gymnast feeling better this morning?

I think so. Her temp is back to normal, but I did give her dye-free acetaminophen last night because the temp kept climbing and she woke up with a nightmare saying her dad hit her. Mind you, she was lying on the couch next to me (I was doing stuff), and he was lying in bed. She kept crying (a weird yell-type cry) and carrying on, and it took 10 minutes to calm her down.

Just now she asked my why she felt cold and needed a blanket but was sweating. So, it's working its way out. She's hoping to go outside today. It's supposed to get up to 55 this afternoon.

• Like 2

Could also be appendicitis even in a weird place. I'd get her checked out.

Ok, so I looked it up, and it says the pain is on the right side. She has off-and-on complained since last week (like maybe 2-3) times, and it was always more on the left side - so I'm thinking her stomach.

I think so. Her temp is back to normal, but I did give her dye-free acetaminophen last night because the temp kept climbing and she woke up with a nightmare saying her dad hit her. Mind you, she was lying on the couch next to me (I was doing stuff), and he was lying in bed. She kept crying (a weird yell-type cry) and carrying on, and it took 10 minutes to calm her down.

Just now she asked my why she felt cold and needed a blanket but was sweating. So, it's working its way out. She's hoping to go outside today. It's supposed to get up to 55 this afternoon.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   More hugs, to help speed her recovery.

Even if she's not better could she maybe put on some warm things and get two minutes outside?  Because outside!  It could help boost her spirits and further her recovery (I hope).

• Like 1

My baby named her blanket Chewie (because she chewed on the corners) and uses the pronoun “she†when referring to said blanket and makes sure Chewie is comfortable every night and has some friends to sleep with, since Baby isn’t quite as attached to Chewie as she used to be.

Captain Mal named his blanket Oa (pronounced Oh-aah) and he is a boy. Our friend Oa goes everywhere with us still. Oa is a magic blanket.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 7

DH took the boys to cut up a tree (already down) and split wood. They need the exercise. They were in fine form this morning, snapping and snipping at everyone and everything.

ETA: Clama et Labora. You squeak, you work. Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

:seeya: Howdy from the top of page 2619!  (I've been hiding out for a while now this morning, so that may be as far as I get in my ketchup).

Happy to be reading everyone's Christmas posts.  Merry Post-Christmas Vacation Week (to all who are taking one)!

Ours was fantastic but busy, because the broken oven saga forced me to do cooking/baking on Christmas day.  We had a perfectly timed white snowfall Christmas morning, with balmy (30 degree) temps and no wind, so after gifts were done we all went on a snowy hike.  Couldn't have asked for a better day.  

I am now reveling in Post-Christmas respite (that is, all five kids happily building and sewing and drawing and knitting with all their new gifts while I don't cook a single meal because  :001_wub: leftovers!!! :001_wub: ) .  I'm tackling low-priority projects I don't normally get to, which is nice.  I like checking things off. 

We've also been unusually social and had several evenings out with various peeps.  Tonight is dinner at a BFFs home, and tomorrow my London friends (college roomie) are popping over for brunch.  Then New Years Eve party with adopted grandparents, followed by taking down the tree on New Years Day. Then we are done, I think, with all things officially festive.   

Only downside is that we do, indeed, have a slow small oil leak. Discovered it on Christmas Eve. It's running down the fuel line (from where it connects to the filter thingy) so not actually collecting where I was putting the tin trays before Christmas.  It's tiny (< a tablespoon a day) so I've been using absorbent powder to contain it until the festivities quiet down and I can call the Tank Guys.  This could be a Sell Stock From Our Tiny Retirement Fund kind of expense, so prayers for a simple solution would be appreciated.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 11

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I could completely get used to this sleeping in till 8:00am thing.

Uh, actually I think I am used to it.😜. This could become a real problem when Christmas Vacation is over.😩😩😩

• Like 7

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   More hugs, to help speed her recovery.

Even if she's not better could she maybe put on some warm things and get two minutes outside?  Because outside!  It could help boost her spirits and further her recovery (I hope).

Oh, sure. The only reason she didn't go out yesterday is because she couldn't muster the energy to get up and go anywhere other than the bathroom. She seemed to be in better spirits when she woke up at around 6:15am.  :svengo:  She even said she was hungry and asked for food.  :thumbup1:  I was still working, but dh was making his lunch so made a quick breakfast for her (eggs, frijoles machucados, and corn tortilla), which she did not eat.  :svengo: She fell back to sleep, and is currently still sleeping.

• Like 5

Oh, sure. The only reason she didn't go out yesterday is because she couldn't muster the energy to get up and go anywhere other than the bathroom. She seemed to be in better spirits when she woke up at around 6:15am. :svengo: She even said she was hungry and asked for food. :thumbup1: I was still working, but dh was making his lunch so made a quick breakfast for her (eggs, frijoles machucados, and corn tortilla), which she did not eat. :svengo: She fell back to sleep, and is currently still sleeping.

Don't worry, I'll eat her breakfast.
  • Like 2

Good morning. I wish that I was still sleeping but I can’t breathe through my nose. Stupid nose. I wonder how it would like it if I cut it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would look like Voldemort's girlfriend. Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

Good morning. I wish that I was still sleeping but I can’t breathe through my nose. Stupid nose. I wonder how it would like it if I cut it off?

You really shouldn't do that. Something about "cutting off the nose to spite the face." Except, you'd be cutting off the nose to spite the nose. Nah, that won't work.

• Like 9

Oh, sure. The only reason she didn't go out yesterday is because she couldn't muster the energy to get up and go anywhere other than the bathroom. She seemed to be in better spirits when she woke up at around 6:15am.  :svengo:  She even said she was hungry and asked for food.  :thumbup1:  I was still working, but dh was making his lunch so made a quick breakfast for her (eggs, frijoles machucados, and corn tortilla), which she did not eat.  :svengo: She fell back to sleep, and is currently still sleeping.

Signs of improvement!  Yay!

• Like 1

Wouldn't that spite your face?

• Like 2

My aunt still works full time as an accountant at almost 75yrs old. She is busy w/ no intention of retiring. But can you get a CPA w/ an associate’s degree?

No.

I agree.  I got a CPA with a 4 year degree many years ago.  I suspect most states require a 5-year / master's degree now.  At least it seemed to be headed that way at the time.  

Oddly, when we lived in SC, no one was outside ever. Here (North of Boston) everyone is outside, four seasons. We aren’t city (small rural-turned-bedroom community) but bikers are out there constantly. And walkers. And runners. And horses. Dh prefers it now to the car, even in rain. Plus his work gives up to 3 additional vacation days for green commuting, so that’s a nice bonus. 😎. I’m beginning to think that long winters give people a greater appreciation of being outdoors when they can?

Yes, that, but also having more months bug-free than buggy.  Down here we can have mosquitoes year-round, darn it.

• Like 1

One of our credit cards rejected the debt consolidation unless we agree to pay $7 a month more which is taking two months off of our total payments. 1,631 days until we're debt-free. I know this is very important to you so I thought I should share the update.

Can you manage that?

Dh took down the Christmas tree and most decorations today. I like to leave the tree up until Epiphany, but it had a sinking spot in the middle.

Dh took our tree down too, which made me very happy.  Except now I need to vacuum fake pine needles and I can't because vacuum is still not fixed.  Did I tell y'all about my vacuum?  I ordered a new roller brush (and belts) from Amazon, but the roller brush was wrong.  My "complaint" got interrupted by Christmas, but now, supposedly, the correct roller brush is headed my way.  We'll see.  All this because I thought I could save a little over taking it to the repair shop.  Which now I think would have been quicker and simpler.  

We have no plans for New Years Eve, but I hesitate to invite anyone here since a) it's a mess and b) I have no vacuum and c) I'm lazy.  

• Like 3

My magnesium was JUSt delivered!!

Do we really get points for quoting ourselves?!

500 points!  Each time!

And you get a bonus 5672 points for patience and just being lovable.

• Like 3

I’m an auntie again! :hurray: Welcome to the world, Declan!

Weighing in at 8lb 2oz and measuring 21†ain’t too shabby despite being two weeks early! (My family makes big babies.)

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Welcome, new Babiness!

• Like 1

Stupid atm's!!

The first one said I exceeded my daily limit by all but $30 of what I requested. Which made no sense. Tried it again and it worked!

Went to the second one and it let me put my card in and choose deposit. Then it said couldn't do it. Then the whole thing shut down. Thank God it didn't shut down with my card inside like last time!!

So errand running today was a bust.

This is why I always go into the bank.  Plus, I worry about credit card skimmers being possibly attached to an atm. 

Stupid atm's!!

The first one said I exceeded my daily limit by all but $30 of what I requested. Which made no sense. Tried it again and it worked!

Went to the second one and it let me put my card in and choose deposit. Then it said couldn't do it. Then the whole thing shut down. Thank God it didn't shut down with my card inside like last time!!

So errand running today was a bust.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Maybe the machines caught a virus.  Or they want the holiday weekend off.

The kitten won't stop scratching at the gash behind her ear. It has become even worse and would never heal if I left her alone.

So...I fashioned her a sort of hoodie out of an old sock. It seems to be working, but I am no longer the kitten's favorite person.

I can't stop laughing. It's ridiculous.

2bf68c8b9c3bb242944ccdf6de62d0bc.jpg

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Dh took down the Christmas tree and most decorations today. I like to leave the tree up until Epiphany, but it had a sinking spot in the middle.

Our tree doesn't come down until at least Gymnast's birthday on the 8th. Before, it stayed until Epiphany. I am putting away the nativities (except one) and all the Santas. And probably take the ornaments off, but leave the candy canes on.

I ended up not having to parallel park on my official test!

I had to parallel park on both the car and the big rig tests. At least on the big rig test, the cones were further apart, lol. Parallel parking a big rig wasn't as bad as you'd think - I think I had more trouble learning to parallel park the car. 

My aunt still works full time as an accountant at almost 75yrs old. She is busy w/ no intention of retiring. But can you get a CPA w/ an associate’s degree?

Requirements vary by state, but it looks like pretty much every state now requires a minimum of 120 hours, and many 150 hours. That said, afaict, not all states require a bachelor's degree or higher - but by the time you have 120 or 150 hours, you'd probably qualify for some sort of bachelor's degree anyway... At the moment, in NY, you can sit for the CPA exam without meeting those requirements if you have 15 years of accounting experience. I haven't looked into all states. Either way, the exam is not easy, and afaik the failure rate is very high for first timers. My dad is more or less the Dutch equivalent of a CPA, and the pass rate was less than 20% for the exam - afaik, it's pretty similar in the US. 

The main thing is that you can do bookkeeping with an associate's in accounting, and take some classes on the side here and there and gradually move up, and eventually sit for the CPA exam if you want to go that far. Or not. Either way, there's progress you can make along the way... even if you never sit for the CPA exam, or even if you never complete a bachelor's, with more experience and knowledge, you can get some increase in responsibilities (and presumably pay) though you obviously can't do audits without a CPA exam. 

• Like 1