Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ed help please.

Dd's lit assignment today was to write a "nature themed poem".  (Assigned by the Oak Meadow syllabus).  She handed me a Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said "nice try but no cigar".  So she handed me a second verse to the Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said, "forget poetry.".  Give me a prose description of our back yard and bird feeder with lots of adjectives and adverbs.  She handed me a list of adjectives and adverbs.  Sigh.  Do you think that fourth time is a charm?  In the past I would have given up because in the past she would have been melting down.  But she's in 10th grade.  I'm not expecting Emily Dickinson etc. but I do expect her to do the assignment in either poetry or descriptive prose.

OK - while I wrote this post, she wrote on a piece of paper:  "Cats are hunting birds, while they eat.  The backyard is like a jungle, overgrown, green and somewhat dead."  I'm leaving this for today because she threw the syllabus at me (which I made her come back and pick up) and has retreated to her room.  If I push more, I will not get any work from her but will get a meltdown.  (She's had what I call "writing mutism" in all preceding school years.  This year I'm getting more writing out of her but it is still a struggle.)   Anyway. . .    next week (probably Tuesday because Monday we will be occupied with the doctor) I have promised her that we are going to work on this descriptive paragraph.  So what do I make her do to this?  And how?  I've heard people refer to "dress ups" from IEW?  What does that mean in practical terms? 

:grouphug:

I think Krissi was on the right track with helping her to create free verse.  Maybe she can see the yard from the cat's point of view.  Or the bird's.  

Think about not just visual elements, but sounds and smells.  What does the grass feel like?

I don't require poetry writing of my own kids (even though I was a high school English teacher).  Truthfully, I don't know that poetry writing can be taught to someone who doesn't want to do it.  I may be wrong on that, but it's my working theory at the moment.

• Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I have three more of the things to send out, and I'll be done with December's quota. I'll probably take two weeks off from querying for the Christmas break, and then get after it again in January. 

I'm behind on my writing production schedule.  :svengo:  I was supposed to have another Singing Time class completely written (only halfway done), and the first two weeks of a semester class done (haven't started). I guess I should get busy.

• Like 4

Ed help please.

Dd's lit assignment today was to write a "nature themed poem".  (Assigned by the Oak Meadow syllabus).  She handed me a Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said "nice try but no cigar".  So she handed me a second verse to the Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said, "forget poetry.".  Give me a prose description of our back yard and bird feeder with lots of adjectives and adverbs.  She handed me a list of adjectives and adverbs.  Sigh.  Do you think that fourth time is a charm?  In the past I would have given up because in the past she would have been melting down.  But she's in 10th grade.  I'm not expecting Emily Dickinson etc. but I do expect her to do the assignment in either poetry or descriptive prose.

OK - while I wrote this post, she wrote on a piece of paper:  "Cats are hunting birds, while they eat.  The backyard is like a jungle, overgrown, green and somewhat dead."  I'm leaving this for today because she threw the syllabus at me (which I made her come back and pick up) and has retreated to her room.  If I push more, I will not get any work from her but will get a meltdown.  (She's had what I call "writing mutism" in all preceding school years.  This year I'm getting more writing out of her but it is still a struggle.)   Anyway. . .    next week (probably Tuesday because Monday we will be occupied with the doctor) I have promised her that we are going to work on this descriptive paragraph.  So what do I make her do to this?  And how?  I've heard people refer to "dress ups" from IEW?  What does that mean in practical terms? 

I really like that second sentence.  Can she expound on that further?

• Like 3

I Linear Algebra'd. And now my ear hurts (only slightly thus far). I don't know what's up - I've been wheezing a ton this entire week, the tiniest bit of coughing, and the occasional sore throat, the tiniest bit of needing to blow my nose, so it's like I'm getting sick, but it's staying right at that superficial level (other than the wheezing - there have been a couple of times that that got pretty bad). I wish I'd either just actually get sick and then better, or (preferably) that it'd just go away, instead of just lingering. 

• Like 1

I'm with Krissi - have her use what she's already got. I like Krissi's poem. Also, maybe you could find some examples online of bad nature poems to show her, just so she can see you don't need publication-worthy stuff - that stuff like that will do. I don't know that it's a hill to die on though, especially since it is so hard to find a legit real-life purpose, and she did manage to come up with two roses are red ditties.

When I was a kid (circa K-1st grade), we had poëzie-albums (poetry albums), which we mispronounced as poezie-albums (kitty albums), and which you'd have all your friends and family members write a poem in, along with some pretty stickers. of course, many kids had their parents write stuff, or copied a poem, since in NL they don't even begin to teach writing until 1st grade, but anyway... it was neat. not sure that's related, other than as something popular from about 1989/1990 that could maybe have a retro resurgence moment at some point.

Very poorly written poem I just wrote using the "just start with something and then think of words that will rhyme"-method... obviously not a recipe for great poetry, but it will do the job for an assignment like that (or I think it will... I mean, it's obviously not worth an A, but it can get a C, right?):

It is dark out.

The wind howls.

Please don't pout

Put away your trowels

And have a pint of stout

Tomorrow is another day

To work out in the garden

So please go put the tools away

And let the plants harden

In the wind coming from the bay

Come morning the many birds will sing

The sun will shine so bright

The flowers'll bloom and vines will cling

When it no more is night

Displaying nature's own bling-bling.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 3

Also, I thought colds and the like were supposed to linger *afterwards*, not prelinger. (I think I just invented a word - not sure if there's a better word already in existence).

That's a good word!  You could even make a sign: Prelingering Not Allowed.

THAT would catch peoples' eyes!

• Like 3

Laundry beckons.

My messy kitchen beckons.

We just came back from a walk around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights. In years past our subdivision was quite famous for its abundance of decorated houses. Now... not so much. There is one “Griswold Houseâ€, though, which is pretty cool.

• Like 3

I don't require poetry writing of my own kids (even though I was a high school English teacher).  Truthfully, I don't know that poetry writing can be taught to someone who doesn't want to do it.  I may be wrong on that, but it's my working theory at the moment.

I think SWB was kind of meh about creative writing in a thing she did once.  Not that it isn't valuable, but that it isn't the best approach to learning writing for most kids (does poetry constitute creative writing?? ).  

Anyway, with so much pushback, I'm inclined to think that reading poetry is probably more valuable than writing it at this point?  And that poetry may not be a hill worth dying on.  

Take this with a huge bucket of salt, though.  I haven't got teenagers yet and know nothing about poetry (except the exceptional collection of haiku I've enjoyed here on ITT).  

• Like 6

Conversation with baby. Baby is 4, btw, but the youngest so we still call her Baby.

Dh eating a cookie.

Baby: what you eating?

Dh: biscuit.

Baby: mommy make bistuits. With tocolate chips. Dey yummy. Can I have a bistuit?

I found some sugar wafers for her.

Me: here. Only eat 1 or 2.

Baby: or a thousand???

Baby opens the bag.

Baby: ummm!! Dese are soo dood!!

I still call my 7 year old Baby.😜😜 Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Did Oak Meadow just say, "Write a poem," and give no further scaffolding? I know my kids would have a problem with that. DS(16) may be able to handle it but only because we did MCT poetry when he was younger and some other poetry related stuff after.

I would find her an easy (short) poem model to follow, maybe a cinquain or even a haiku and call it a day. Or a limerick! I wouldn't go for a sonnet unless she feels ambitious. All she has to do is follow the formula and it doesn't have to be good or inspired. Poetry is art and not everyone is an artist. 

• Like 4

I'm going to have ITTers always do the first in all my series, so they can tell me when I screw up, and still leave great feedback, lol! Nah, jk. Actually, of the 6 kids (not counting mine), only two were new. The other 4 were ITTers. I had a blast! It was a cool class though: there was an age range of 4-12, and they all said they liked it! Singing is a real unifier. :)

• Like 10

I'm going to have ITTers always do the first in all my series, so they can tell me when I screw up, and still leave great feedback, lol! Nah, jk. Actually, of the 6 kids (not counting mine), only two were new. The other 4 were ITTers. I had a blast! It was a cool class though: there was an age range of 4-12, and they all said they liked it! Singing is a real unifier. :)

I love how vocal my dd's are getting!  Especially Dd8.  She was so shy in the first class she took with you, but now I think they all realize that you are a real person (as opposed to, say, Daniel Tiger).  They are interacting so well.

• Like 2

You sure MY child was brilliant?!?!

I didn't realize your child was there!! I was running through doing work.

Yes, your child is brilliant! He just jumps right in there, and accepts correction easily. He is ... quite enthusiastic, lol!

And, you canNOT miss the three little ducklings that were there!!!! Cutest little mallards you'll ever see :D

• Like 10

You sure MY child was brilliant?!?!

I didn't realize your child was there!! I was running through doing work.

The trio of girls are mine.   :hat:   I knew to look for your ds because Renai gave me a heads-up that you'd enrolled.  Didn't know for sure who belonged to you, but I guessed right!  And yes.... it was glow of brilliance that tipped me off.    ITT kids are known for that.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 7

I love how vocal my dd's are getting!  Especially Dd8.  She was so shy in the first class she took with you, but now I think they all realize that you are a real person (as opposed to, say, Daniel Tiger).  They are interacting so well.

I know, they've grown so much!

And I try to remember to call each student's name at least twice, so they know I'm paying attention to them. I think it helps make a connection. But, now I don't remember if I did that in this class... :confused1:  And I didn't say goodbye to that other little kid before he left.   :sad:

• Like 1

I know, they've grown so much!

And I try to remember to call each student's name at least twice, so they know I'm paying attention to them. I think it helps make a connection. But, now I don't remember if I did that in this class... :confused1:  And I didn't say goodbye to that other little kid before he left.   :sad:

Which was probably my fault!  I jumped in to chat, thinking others had signed off.  Didn't realize until later that you were still live.  

Landon loves Renai

He even talks in her class

Renai is awesome!

Perfect!!  

I think I'm falling in love with Critter.

Well you have to share her. Otherwise there may be duels.

I saw Renai today! I saw Renai today! I even waved!

I saw  Angi today! I saw Angi today!  (Well, actually her brilliant child.  Because my kid was spilling food all over the kitchen floor and then demanding I take him to go potty.  So I missed most of the class, including Angi's wave, apparently.)

Jealous!

I still call my 7 year old Baby.😜😜

Me too (dd8). She said she doesn't mind. :D

My messy kitchen is messy no longer.!!

Mine is still messy.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Dd15 has her midstate audition this morning and everyone has Children's Choir Christmas Concert this afternoon. The Middles have a church youth group Christmas party tonight. Things are winding down!

Y'all were on a roll last night with the poetry!

How are you feeling, Slache?

Coffee!

• Like 5

Insomnia

Bubble and boil,

Trouble and toil,

The sound of the kettle at four

Insomnia bites,

And so I won’t fight,

I’ll just get up and write some more.

Random Musings

See, Critter, this is the type of stuff that will keep you a following on facebook.

• Like 6