Menu

Ignore this thread!

2000. Got to 47K. Listening to Gregory Isakov's The Stable Song again. It fits the scene I was working on. Sometimes I just flat love my protagonist. Sometimes I want to kill him. Tonight was one of those fall-in-love-with-the-guy moments. :001_smile:

:hurray:  :hurray:   Critter goed!  Do that again tomorrow and you could declare your win!

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

A skill I have been working on, mostly with my children, but other people, too, is answering, but not answering the question. You can say, “thank you, I’ll let you know if I need anything.â€

Krissi's being reasonable and helpful!

• Like 3

I love it when they ask me if I found everything I needed. I usually don't, and I happily say so. 

Once I spoke before thinking when one asked me if she could help me find anything.  "Sanity", I blurted out. 

"Sorry, we are fresh out.  Have you tried Walmart?"

I liked her!

• Like 5

I didn't do this, but I put one of my oldest and most loved characters on a plane and told him to never come back. Somehow, I don't think he'll listen to me, and I'll have him causing problems for the protagonist again. But I bawled buckets both times I wrote that scene and watched him walking away into the crowd.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

“You let him see these and he’ll lose his appetite,†he said, holding the smoking page at arms length, turning it over and sideways. “I think I have it now. It’s a volcano, or a chest wound.â€
“It’s supposed to be you.â€
“I must have it upside down.â€
“She says it's you. Or it’s a Dragon, anyway.â€
“I don’t think she got my good side.†

Best lines today.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

• Like 1

Dd14 finished her 50K words on Thanksgiving morning. She has decided not to start editing for a few more days, per Critter's wise advice which I always pass along. :)

We watched Jurassic World with Grandma and Grandpa and had popcorn and ice cream. Ds22 has gone back go school. Dh is quizzing dd14 on driver's permit questions. She is very very eager to get her driving permit, which she could legally get a week from tomorrow. :svengo:

Lately I've been watching Godless on Netflix. Gory but interesting.

Hooray for DD14!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

I’m so glad that school starts up again tomorrow. Though I’m not really ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here.  We need normal, but I'm not ready.

Speaking of ready, bedtime might be slightly delayed.  I smell a skunk outside, and the cat isn't coming when I call.  I think she's steering clear until our aromatic visitor departs.

• Like 2

We had another fly-plosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did we! I couldn't find the flyswatter and I may have inadvertently poisoned DH's toothbrush.

Also, the flying insect poison smells really good. Poison should not smell lovely.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Y'all, I have a sad story.

I just learned that a very old friend of mine passed away last night. I do not know details.

We met in 1976 or '77; I knew the first time we spoke that she was a soul sister. We attended the same church; I was interpreting the services in sign language, and she was very interested in learning to sign. I invited a friend to be a guest interpreter one day, a nice young man I had met in sign language class, and she was fascinated with him. It was love at first sight. She began attending the church where he interpreted and became involved with deaf ministry, and eventually they married. By that time Mr. Ellie and I were also attending that church, and we became close to each other as couples as well as workers at church.

A few years later, Mr. Ellie and I moved to another part of the state, eight hours away. We stayed in touch, but, you know, eight hours is a long way. My friend and her dh had three children (she had one from a previous marriage) and seemed to be living happily ever after. And then her dh was charged with s*xually abusing a young man. o_0 While he was married to my friend. He admitted it and pled guilty, and went to jail for 18 months. My friend had to go back to work to support her family. When he came home, they had one more child (!). Things were never right again (duh). [insert very long story] After 19 years of marriage, they divorced.

My friend went to community college and graduated, then earned a BA from the university, and finally became a certified teacher. Her father lived in town and was a great help to her, thank goodness, but she really did make a good life for herself and her children, who are all happily married with children of their own now.

She was able to visit me here in Texas a few years ago. I encouraged her to do flash mob and the Thrill the World event. :-) After all our years apart, we were still soul sisters.

RIP, Susan, my soul sister.

:grouphug:

“Composition is the major subject in every class. The teachers are not professors of Latin or Greek, but of grammar or clear expression, the humanities or beautiful expression, rhetoric or forceful expression.â€

It makes sense that this method was originally developed for seminarians. I think ElizaG described it somewhere as being about becoming a communicator.

I wish I could do this. I really really wish I could. Seriously.

I get so frustrated with my kids, sometimes I think I am doing it so so wrong and I don't know how to make it right. I thought I started off right, but now...all I feel like I'm doing is checking off boxes and keeping the quarrels at bay. I want to educate.  And I just feel like I don't know how.  

We've had a nice vacation and I really don't want to go back to school.

Booya/h!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I didn't mean anyone has to spend a year on ancient lit. Just that I don't think it'd be hard to do. I think we also still have some (all?) of Sima Qian's histories, right?

One time, we saw a sign outside a store that said "we sharpen everything", so I turned to DW and asked "do you think they can sharpen my wit?". 

My parents are having their 40th wedding anniversary in Sept, and I'm thinking of taking them to the place where they had their honeymoon (mostly because I was thinking of taking them and the kids there, and then later realized they were going to have their anniversary, lol). So, I've spent the evening researching cost, etc, and also whether the people who ran the B&B when I was a kid/teen are still the same people running it etc. Apparently not... the woman died in '08, and her husband in '10. He was 59 (I don't know how old she was... I found this on a "light a candle" website). So, one of their kids is running the place (and another one running a place nearby). I'm not super surprised that they died... I thought they were older than my parents, which, well, at least the man was, but he was only 3 years older than my mom... and he died 7 years ago (and I don't think his wife was significantly older than him or anything). So, now I'm like, feeling weird about telling my parents (I'd talked to my mom about this recently, and she also thought they were significantly older, like at least 10 years older or so). Like, "hey, let's go to the place where you had your honeymoon for your 40th anniversary, and where we occasionally went on vacation when I was a kid/teen, and btw, those people who ran it, who were barely any older than you, died when they were younger than you are now... just wanted to make sure you feel nice and old and mortal and stuff". Like I said, just feeling weird. And my parents are still young (well, middle-aged, but not old)... they're 61 and 63.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

Oven is clean. And I did. And somehow it made it back... :glare:

This might call for a family meeting, so everyone can listen to you tell your can of carpet adhesive that it's okay, it will be found again in its new home.  The entire family can then reassure poor CA that they won't forget it exists, and they can all accompany it to its new home to tell it what a nice home it is and they would all be happy to visit it there.

I think your CA is simply worried that it will be lost and no longer found, so it wandered back.

• Like 2

Good morning!

It's The Queen's favorite day! :yawn:

I am planning a lightish day of school today because Grandma and Grandpa are still here. Violin/viola lessons and children's choir this afternoon. Boy Scouts tonight for ds13 and dh.

☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ Coffee! ☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

(Krissi, do you have any spare peppermint mocha creamer this morning? I think I could use some. :D )

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

I didn't mean anyone has to spend a year on ancient lit. Just that I don't think it'd be hard to do. I think we also still have some (all?) of Sima Qian's histories, right?

One time, we saw a sign outside a store that said "we sharpen everything", so I turned to DW and asked "do you think they can sharpen my wit?". 

My parents are having their 40th wedding anniversary in Sept, and I'm thinking of taking them to the place where they had their honeymoon (mostly because I was thinking of taking them and the kids there, and then later realized they were going to have their anniversary, lol). So, I've spent the evening researching cost, etc, and also whether the people who ran the B&B when I was a kid/teen are still the same people running it etc. Apparently not... the woman died in '08, and her husband in '10. He was 59 (I don't know how old she was... I found this on a "light a candle" website). So, one of their kids is running the place (and another one running a place nearby). I'm not super surprised that they died... I thought they were older than my parents, which, well, at least the man was, but he was only 3 years older than my mom... and he died 7 years ago (and I don't think his wife was significantly older than him or anything). So, now I'm like, feeling weird about telling my parents (I'd talked to my mom about this recently, and she also thought they were significantly older, like at least 10 years older or so). Like, "hey, let's go to the place where you had your honeymoon for your 40th anniversary, and where we occasionally went on vacation when I was a kid/teen, and btw, those people who ran it, who were barely any older than you, died when they were younger than you are now... just wanted to make sure you feel nice and old and mortal and stuff". Like I said, just feeling weird. And my parents are still young (well, middle-aged, but not old)... they're 61 and 63.

It sounds like it can be a nice trip, and maybe just focus on the fact that one of the kids runs the place now, if it gets mentioned at all.  Carrying on the business to the next generation and all that.

Regarding the bolded:  I think you should walk in and ask them!   :laugh:

• Like 3

The cat is yowling at the back door but I won't let her go out until after I call the vet to see when I can get her looked at.  Something is up with her paws, and I'd simply like it checked out.  She's bleeding just a little.

It's time for me to get on with the business of the day and the week.  Huzzah.   :glare:

• Like 2

Good morning!

It's The Queen's favorite day! :yawn:

I am planning a lightish day of school today because Grandma and Grandpa are still here. Violin/viola lessons and childrenms choir this afternoon. Boy Scouts tonight for ds12 and dh.

☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ Coffee! ☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

(Krissi, do you have any spare peppermint mocha creamer this morning? I think I could use some. :D )

Yes, I'm hoping to keep it lighter here too.  One violin lesson this afternoon.  Swim tonight for dd; basketball for ds.  We're twins - ish.  

“Composition is the major subject in every class. The teachers are not professors of Latin or Greek, but of grammar or clear expression, the humanities or beautiful expression, rhetoric or forceful expression.â€

It makes sense that this method was originally developed for seminarians. I think ElizaG described it somewhere as being about becoming a communicator.

Or a douche!   :laugh:

I just choked on my coffee.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ (Without peppermint mocha creamer because I gained 2.5lbs. Last week, so I’m sending the PMC to Susan, direct, rush mail on ice.)

Monday!!!😩😩😩

Rain!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘☔ï¸â˜”ï¸â˜”ï¸

• Like 4

This might call for a family meeting, so everyone can listen to you tell your can of carpet adhesive that it's okay, it will be found again in its new home.  The entire family can then reassure poor CA that they won't forget it exists, and they can all accompany it to its new home to tell it what a nice home it is and they would all be happy to visit it there.

I think your CA is simply worried that it will be lost and no longer found, so it wandered back.

I don't even know why we have carpet adhesive.  I'm afraid to throw it out, though, because if it reappears after again...  :willy_nilly:

• Like 3

So, now I have boys long sleeve shirts in my lands end cart for 50%off.  But I need to figure out if he's a large, X large, or a men's small.  I have a men's small for him to try on later, but I told him it MUST BE TODAY.  CYBER MONDAY.  

Then I saw an email for cyber Monday specials from fitbit and I thought that would solve 1 or 2 problems on my Christmas gift list, so I got sucked into that.

I should not read ANY more cyber Monday emails.   :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

• Like 4

Monday.

DD13 could very well agree.

In going over school subjects it became clear that before Thanksgiving she was telling me what she thought I wanted to hear about her progress on certain topics that were largely studies by reading. 

I declared that she will finish her Cartoon Physics book by Christmas break, and we will choose the next science book after we return to school in January.  There, decision postponed and pressure off of that (for me), and she has a clear deadline for finishing that book.

Her history, though -- We had already switched out the reading material because the first stuff selected was very slow and tedious.  She had said this next book was better, but now I find that instead of being at the end of chapter 4 she is still in chapter 1.  She melted into quiet tears of frustration admitting that, so I took her to the video shelves to peruse our selection of Great Courses.  I found Linwood Thompson's Early American History.  She and her sister enjoyed his World History course, so his Early American History lecture series is now her curriculum for her history.  Two lectures a week will have her done by early May, if not earlier.

She had said that part of her problem was GETTING TO the reading (especially history), not the readings themselves.  Maybe the video lectures will be easier to fit in, since she can watch and absorb instead of picking a time when her brain and eyes are fresh.

Just another manic Monday

Wish it were a school break

No one here can think

Just another manic school day.

• Like 3

I don't even know why we have carpet adhesive.  I'm afraid to throw it out, though, because if it reappears after again...  :willy_nilly:

Try leaving it on a neighbor's doorstep, like a puppy being re-homed!

I am exhausted to the point I don't think caffeine is doing anything. And my joints hurt. My friends left this morning at the same time we left for work. I had too much caffeine yesterday and couldn't sleep last night.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

DD13 says the lecture DVDs play nicely on her laptop.  She has also set up an easel with her tablet's drawing app up so she can sketch while she listens to the lectures.  She says it helps her not zone out, so I'm good with that.

Hooray for less stress history!

• Like 2

I am exhausted to the point I don't think caffeine is doing anything. And my joints hurt. My friends left this morning at the same time we left for work. I had too much caffeine yesterday and couldn't sleep last night.

I’m so sorry, Angi. Hope you can get a power nap in there sometime today.
  • Like 1

I have coffee. After a week of eating poorly and therefore not being able to fast in the mornings I have to retrain myself. :glare:

I think Monday might be my favorite day. It's the day the kids are best behaved.

By the way, I should have saved my Lands End Order for today - now everything's 50% off.

Can we cancel?

Nobody is happy about it being a school day today.

I am.
  • Like 1