Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Unicorn

I saw a unicorn today.

I saw the white shimmer of its mane in the water of a far-off lake,

The wind whipped its mane into folds on the sides of the mountain.

I heard the thunder of hooves in the beat of a duck’s wings across a wind-torn lake.

I saw the fabulous horn reflected in the shadow of silver stone on a dark river inlet.

And it laughed, laughed like children beneath the clear, bright sun.

I captured a unicorn today,

And drove home under a harvest moon,

Happy.

Pantser. I make it up as it comes.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Oh, so, when I mentioned I threw up all over the place... that included the keyboard I was typing on, of course. IIRC I got some people on a mailing list pretty worried for a couple of days (I mentioned what drink number I was on, and I think I did manage to mention #10 before I started throwing up and blacked out). The keyboard did not live. It was a normal cheap keyboard though, iirc, though my parents, being Dutch, were not amused (the Dutch are known for being frugal). 

#notlookingforwardtotheteenageyears

I have never been able to stand even the smell of beer or wine, etc. I hate Black Forest Torte or any dessert with liqueur-soaked stuff. I don't like the smell of dh's red wine from across the dining table. Dh likes to tease me by begging me to try a sip of "this really good wine" and then watching my face go :ack2: . :D

I like wine sauces that have the alcohol cooked out. Also I can't taste whiskey when it is in tea. Is that weird?

• Like 1

Also I can't taste whiskey when it is in tea. Is that weird?

No idea. Whoever puts whiskey in tea?

(I don't like tea. Maybe whiskey would improve it) 

Oh, the joys of staring at a blank page. Why did I sign up? Why am I a millennial who gets tricked into things with badges?!  :001_rolleyes: So far the most brilliant idea I've come up with is to write a story about someone who's paralyzed by knowing too much. I.e. literally becomes more an more physically paralyzed the more the person learns. But I'm not interested in a writing a whole book about that. It sounds tedious. I'm sure someone could do a kickass job of it - I don't think it's a bad idea per se, but...

Anyhow, procrastinating on the ITT is something I am very good at. 

• Like 2

When I was (almost?) 10 I wrote and illustrated a 'book' about some girl going scuba diving and I don't recall what. It was a few dozen pages, iirc. I gave it to my best friend's mom. She died not long thereafter (breast cancer relapse - she was already in the relapse when I started writing it, iirc). 

• Like 1

Not sure how to square "write what you know" with not turning it into (partially fictionalized) memoir. Not that NaNoWriMo requires you to write what you know, or w/e. It's just common advice. Maybe I should write what I don't know.

Writing what you know can be writing about the paralysis of anxiety if you’ve experienced that. It wouldn’t include writing about being physically paralyzed unless you have experienced it or knew someone who experienced it or spent time researching it to the point where you really knew what it was like.

• Like 2

I finally finished filing all of the papers that I needed to, and I found the paperwork that I needed in the very last stack! I also shredded a huge stack of papers--enough that I filled a 16 gallon trash bag full of stuff.  I'm sweeping my school room floor now, and I just need to tidy my desk.  I'm packing everything up, and hopefully this weekend we'll start painting the school room!

• Like 6

Writing what you know can be writing about the paralysis of anxiety if you’ve experienced that. It wouldn’t include writing about being physically paralyzed unless you have experienced it or knew someone who experienced it or spent time researching it to the point where you really knew what it was like.

Right... I didn't mean that idea. I just meant in general. If I write about the paralysis of anxiety or w/e, it'd be too easy to slip into memoir, or at least partially memoir. Not that there's anything wrong with memoirs; I just don't want to write one at the moment.

I did remember something I'd wanted to do... not a story, but something I wanted to do with language, and I've got 345 words now, and a genre and a general idea of where I'm going (no clue about the ending yet, but, I think I've got the main premise or w/e). Grammar is hard (because I'm messing with language), but that should become easier soon when I get used to how I'm using words.

• Like 3

1,564 words written this morning, bringing my word total to 4,130.  Time for a shower before I get dressed.  I also need to cut DH's hair today and get some breakfast.  I'll catch up on ITT after all of that.  I have at least 31 new posts to go through (this will undoubtedly rise more before I get back).

GOOD MORNING!!!!

• Like 3

Good morning, all.  I got to sleep in to 6-yay.

I never drank until after I had DD.  I haven't stopped. (Actually, I pretty much have.  I only like wine, but I'm now old and it messes up my sleep.)

In my dreams, I am a planner.  In my reality, I am a pantser.  But not a poetic pantser like Critter.

Happy 7th Birthday, John!  :party:

• Like 7

Teenage years are fun.

So far (thankfully) our teen drama is a lot less exciting.  DD16 just got her electronic entertainment privileges back yesterday.  She then promptly lost them by sneaking her phone into her bed to watch stuff at 10 PM last night.

I confiscated it right away, but I need to tell her this morning it's not another week of electronic grounding, it's two weeks now.  And each time she does something like this the duration will double, like windmill points.  However, unlike windmill points, she won't lose her "score" when someone else "scores".

One iteration: one week

Two iterations: two weeks

Three iterations: four weeks

Four iterations: eight weeks

Five iterations:  sixteen weeks (that's almost four months!)

Six iterations:  thirty-two weeks (more than 7 months!)

Seven iterations:  sixty-four weeks

It will only take failing to learn the lesson 7 times to lose all electronics entertainments for more than a year.  Given that she doesn't get to text with her friends or her cousin during these groundings I hope she will learn her lesson a lot sooner.  She thinks of herself as important support for one friend who is dealing with anxiety.

• Like 3

I have never been able to stand even the smell of beer or wine, etc. I hate Black Forest Torte or any dessert with liqueur-soaked stuff. I don't like the smell of dh's red wine from across the dining table. Dh likes to tease me by begging me to try a sip of "this really good wine" and then watching my face go :ack2: . :D

I like wine sauces that have the alcohol cooked out. Also I can't taste whiskey when it is in tea. Is that weird?

Not weird at all.  The olfactory network can be quite sensitive.  Go with what works for you.

• Like 1

No idea. Whoever puts whiskey in tea?

(I don't like tea. Maybe whiskey would improve it) 

Oh, the joys of staring at a blank page. Why did I sign up? Why am I a millennial who gets tricked into things with badges?!  :001_rolleyes: So far the most brilliant idea I've come up with is to write a story about someone who's paralyzed by knowing too much. I.e. literally becomes more an more physically paralyzed the more the person learns. But I'm not interested in a writing a whole book about that. It sounds tedious. I'm sure someone could do a kickass job of it - I don't think it's a bad idea per se, but...

Anyhow, procrastinating on the ITT is something I am very good at. 

Write us your story, luuknam!  Just go and write, and see what comes of it.   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 3

Not sure how to square "write what you know" with not turning it into (partially fictionalized) memoir. Not that NaNoWriMo requires you to write what you know, or w/e. It's just common advice. Maybe I should write what I don't know. 

An example:  If you know something about Aikido go ahead and write a character that practices Aikido.  If you don't know a thing about Aikido, don't write such a character, or you will get Persnicketies like me ranting, "That's not Aikido!"  If you still want your character to practice Aikido you could always read up on the subject or talk to someone who does practice Aikido.

NaNoWriMo often has a bunch of writing prompts you can use, basically little assignments or questions that you just respond to in writing.  If the prompt says to have your character out walking in the rain, start describing the scene and the walk and what's going through his/her head, etc.  You have a lot of experience with rain, I imagine, so you could write that.

One of my favorite lines given to a character:  Agatha Christie's Madame Oliver was a popular mystery writer who was often quite creative and not at all ashamed about writing stuff she knew nothing about.  After she finally had the experience of discovering a dead body herself she said, "I'm going to have to write a lot less screaming."   :laugh:   You could always go the Madame Oliver route and just write whatever sounds good to you.

• Like 4

I finally finished filing all of the papers that I needed to, and I found the paperwork that I needed in the very last stack! I also shredded a huge stack of papers--enough that I filled a 16 gallon trash bag full of stuff.  I'm sweeping my school room floor now, and I just need to tidy my desk.  I'm packing everything up, and hopefully this weekend we'll start painting the school room!

Good point: paper shredder.  Maybe I should take the paper shredder when I head up to help my Dad, too.

I am also contemplating getting a small climate-controlled storage unit up here for a number of months.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by AMJ

By the way, GREAT JOB!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:

I'm going to bed now, I think... there's no way I'm going to get to the 1700+ words I'm supposed to get per day anyway.

Don't worry about the quotas.  Just write what you can, when you can, and call it good.  I never reached the goal the first several years I attempted this.  It's quite common.

• Like 2

Dh has been writing a children's story for the past 12 years. I am hoping he finishes it at some point - it's quite good!

Such stories grow and develop over time.  I have a friend working on a story she started when she was a teen, 3-4 decades ago.  It is worth the wait, from what I have been able to read.

• Like 3

Morning!

I wonder who started the advice to write what you know. Half of the books I love would never have been written if everone did that.

It's my understanding that it's advice for *beginning* writers. And, quite frankly, if you barely have a clue about your subject, then it's either a LOT more work to make it work, or, more likely, you'll end up writing a bunch of nonsense. Like, I considered writing a (very) short story for Bookie about Zheng He's giraffe unicorns, but, that would've required doing too much research for why I was doing it (fun and to cheer someone up), or risk completely butchering history. Now, some people are totally okay with the latter, but personally I wouldn't be able to stand it. Of course, if you write, say, sci-fi, then historical accuracy isn't an issue, but you'd still want your society and tech to make some sort of (internal) sense. And if you write (e.g. contemporary realistic fiction) about people from a different subculture without doing your research, then you risk offending people big time. Etc. 

• Like 2

Happy Birthday, John!

Yay, Angi, on finding lost things!

Any idea on how to get dry erase pen and fingernail polish marks off of a plastic folding table? I've been using a 6' folding table as my desk, and now that all of the papers are cleared off, it looks pretty dingy.

Ink-alcohol. Polish-polish remover.

If these don't work consider painting your table some funky and fun way that you like, then polyurethane over it to smooth the surface and protect it.   :laugh:

My body seems to have given up intermittent fasting. :( Obviously I don't *have* to eat, but it wants to. I think I did it too many days in a row. I've definitely lost weight. I think maybe I'll rotate between IF and weight training daily.

John's party is next Saturday at 11AM. Who's coming?

I don't want to do things.

• Like 2

An example:  If you know something about Aikido go ahead and write a character that practices Aikido.  If you don't know a thing about Aikido, don't write such a character, or you will get Persnicketies like me ranting, "That's not Aikido!"  If you still want your character to practice Aikido you could always read up on the subject or talk to someone who does practice Aikido.

NaNoWriMo often has a bunch of writing prompts you can use, basically little assignments or questions that you just respond to in writing.  If the prompt says to have your character out walking in the rain, start describing the scene and the walk and what's going through his/her head, etc.  You have a lot of experience with rain, I imagine, so you could write that.

One of my favorite lines given to a character:  Agatha Christie's Madame Oliver was a popular mystery writer who was often quite creative and not at all ashamed about writing stuff she knew nothing about.  After she finally had the experience of discovering a dead body herself she said, "I'm going to have to write a lot less screaming."   :laugh:   You could always go the Madame Oliver route and just write whatever sounds good to you.

The place where I lived from 6-18yo has on average 291 days with precipitation annually, according to weer.nl. Buffalo ranks really high in days of precipitation/year for the US, but nowhere near that high (168 or something).  :svengo: Also, Buffalo has a significantly higher percentage of snow days as part of those days with precipitation. 

(Where I lived in Thailand had 258 days with precipitation = rain days in 2016, but I didn't see an annual average)

Thanks for your thoughts! And odds are that some people do scream when they find a dead body. 

• Like 1

Happy Birthday John!   :party:

Happy Birthday, John!

Yay, Angi, on finding lost things!

Any idea on how to get dry erase pen and fingernail polish marks off of a plastic folding table? I've been using a 6' folding table as my desk, and now that all of the papers are cleared off, it looks pretty dingy.

Tablecloth!   :D

• Like 2