Menu

Ignore this thread!

How does that work with a kid who won’t talk to strangers? She’ll barely talk to the ballet teacher she’s had over a year now...

That would fit into what has gone down here as well with one of mine.

Essentially, what I thought anxiety looked like in kids is not the reality of anxiety playing out in my kids.

We haven't medicated or anything, but we gave them some tools for talking about their feelings and worked on developing some coping mechanisms.

FWIW, pediatricians are notoriously bad people for dealing with this stuff.  My current ped is awesome, but only because his own kids have needed interventions.  Our previous pediatricians did not have sufficient training to really talk about the matter (oh, x seems fine)... 

• Like 2

Spudz- this sounds like anxiety. I would try a couple of different things. One is to model self talk- (the content of that might vary). An example from our house was for Ds who tantrummed every single time he made a mistake. The self talk that I modeled for over a year was “oh well. I made a mistake but better luck next time.†Or. “I made a mistake but let’s try again. “. Every single flipping time multiple times a day. Then one miraculous day he started to tantrum and he stopped and said “oh well. I made a mistake. Better luck next time. “. The point is to try to build up some inner resources for dealing with anxiety causing moments.

An immediate suggestion is to see if perhaps the bathroom might be less scary if a favorite stuffy goes with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Baby post:

He smiled at me today. I know he meant it because he was wide awake, looking right at me, and I was talking to him. I think I'll keep him.  :001_wub: I don't care if the internets say he is too little.

Then he spit up for I swear a whole minute like a volcano- shooting it over a foot away! Poor baby. I didn't know he could even have that much fluid in his stomach. Erm...I guess the spitting up shows he couldn't?

And, I found where they put my stitches today. I knew I had them, but since she numbed me when she was fixing everything, I didn't know where or how many. Let's just say it's unfortunate and explains why I haven't been feeling quite as peppy as I usually do at 3-4 weeks out. Super fast labor=/ 100% the best!

My MIL comes tomorrow. Normally I'd be cleaning like a maniac, but I can't muster up any caring. I'm going to ignore this mess and take a nap! And not even feel bad about it. And eat more candy. 

• Like 9

Spudz- this sounds like anxiety. I would try a couple of different things. One is to model self talk- (the content of that might vary). An example from our house was for Ds who tantrummed every single time he made a mistake. The self talk that I modeled for over a year was “oh well. I made a mistake but better luck next time.†Or. “I made a mistake but let’s try again. “. Every single flipping time multiple times a day. Then one miraculous day he started to tantrum and he stopped and said “oh well. I made a mistake. Better luck next time. “. The point is to try to build up some inner resources for dealing with anxiety causing moments.

An immediate suggestion is to see if perhaps the bathroom might be less scary if a favorite stuffy goes with her.

I did this with ds22 when he was little - "oh well, sometimes that happens...". The most dramatic change for him came after being on the Feingold diet very strictly for a couple months and putting epsom salts in his bath (for magnesium). He could suddenly handle the little stresses without breaking down.

• Like 1

I think your plan is a good one, although I might keep the Latin and proceed at a slower pace. I bought the MP schedule for Latin once, took one look and threw it out the window. Latin isn't a good subject to rush, anymore than Math is a good subject to rush, or writing for that matter. You need time to think.

I'm pretty sure the MP schedule is slower than what they've been doing.   :svengo:  :w00t:

• Like 1

Baby post:

He smiled at me today. I know he meant it because he was wide awake, looking right at me, and I was talking to him. I think I'll keep him. :001_wub: I don't care if the internets say he is too little.

Then he spit up for I swear a whole minute like a volcano- shooting it over a foot away! Poor baby. I didn't know he could even have that much fluid in his stomach. Erm...I guess the spitting up shows he couldn't?

And, I found where they put my stitches today. I knew I had them, but since she numbed me when she was fixing everything, I didn't know where or how many. Let's just say it's unfortunate and explains why I haven't been feeling quite as peppy as I usually do at 3-4 weeks out. Super fast labor=/ 100% the best!

My MIL comes tomorrow. Normally I'd be cleaning like a maniac, but I can't muster up any caring. I'm going to ignore this mess and take a nap! And not even feel bad about it. And eat more candy.

:wub:

:ack2:

Ouch!

No cleaning!! ðŸ‘

I hate when the calibration is off on the machine and you get a whole bag of cheese sticks that can't be opened because the peel here tabs are all glued shut and so you have to find a pair of scissors before you can eat your cheese and then by the end you don't even want the damn cheese because it was too much work to open and you're annoyed.

#firstworldproblems

• Like 6

I hate when the calibration is off on the machine and you get a whole bag of cheese sticks that can't be opened because the peel here tabs are all glued shut and so you have to find a pair of scissors before you can eat your cheese and then by the end you don't even want the damn cheese because it was too much work to open and you're annoyed.

#firstworldproblems

Back in my day we had to walk a mile in snow for our cheese, uphill both ways! 

• Like 8

Book one on my hundred books list. The Hum and the Shiver. I'm looking for comps for submitting to agents and it's on my short list.

Darn it!  My library system only has it as audio.  I want to read the words.

#firstworldproblems

This is not my day.

• Like 2

Krissi- have you ever looked at the Smart but Scattered books? (There’s a normal one and one for teens).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I got through about half of the one for teens. I think anxiet and executive function are huge issues, but he refuses to cooperate with us, so helping him never works.

I'm back from my meeting. It was really good. We've got some things we're going to pursue and she's going to work on, I have a little more insight and it was very helpful and productive.

• Like 6

So far we have only used it on grade level and that has worked well (ds12almost13 is in 7th grade and is doing level 2; dd14almost15 used level 2 last year in 8th grade.)

Did either of them use level one?  Or did they go straight into level 2?

I am so late.

As in you're preggo?

Yes, I got through about half of the one for teens. I think anxiet and executive function are huge issues, but he refuses to cooperate with us, so helping him never works.

I'm back from my meeting. It was really good. We've got some things we're going to pursue and she's going to work on, I have a little more insight and it was very helpful and productive.

:grouphug:  and  :hurray:

As in you're preggo?

:svengo:  :ohmy:  :smash:   :closedeyes:   :hat:

No.

• Like 3

For the purposes of ITT, my kids are hereby:

Reader (dd7)

Runner (ds6)

SuperDude (ds4)

Squishy (ds1)

If you want us to remember that, you should put it in your signature. 

What we need are invisibility cloaked ITT only signatures.   :D

Done. My signature now contains invisibility cloaked ITT data. 

• Like 5

Did either of them use level one? Or did they go straight into level 2?

:

Had to look back. Two years ago dd used level 1 in 7th grade and ds used "beginning" in 5th grade. Dd11 is using "beginning" this year in 5th, so it seems we've started that pattern of

5th/6th/7th --> Beginning/level 1/level 2.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Story time with our special needs Slashie. The first time I read a word it just gets ingrained in my memory and if I dyslexiced it to death it is forever incorrect. Since I'm a visual person and don't listen to things I never notice the correct version so every time I see the word polyglot, even if I see it 100 times, I read it as polygot. That problem is now embarrassingly fixed. Thanks luuknam.

• Like 1

Eep.  Lots of people have had early snows this year. 

We haven't had snow yet afaik, and our average first flake date is Oct 24. We have had soft hail (like, hail balls that looked more like little snow balls). We also haven't had freezing temps yet, and we're well past the average first date for that now. 

• Like 2

You know what’s funny? I got a book of bodyweight exercises out of the library. It groups them by type and has lists from easiest to hardest. I can only do the easiest pushing exercise (wall push-ups) but I can do the hardest bending exercise (one legged warriors holding a weighted object overheard). The latter means, according to the author, that I have “the posterior development of a goddess and the stability of an oak.â€

So, weak as a kitten on top, dryad on the bottom. Kittryad? Drytten? Spudkittryad?

Sexy potato.

Try coffee table pushups.

• Like 1

Had to look back. Two years ago dd used level 1 in 7th grade and ds used "beginning" in 5th grade. Dd11 is using "beginning" this year in 5th, so it seems we've started that pattern of

5th/6th/7th --> Beginning/level 1/level 2.

Thanks for looking it up!  (Sorry for the bother!)

It's an "I'm a pain" booyah!   :laugh:

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2