• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Well, he currently works in commercial printing.  So when I mentioned it was toxic, it was a dual meaning.  Toxic people, but also toxic chemicals.  Toxic fumes, toxic air, toxic mold in the break rooms and restrooms - you name it - toxic.  His work clothes stink like chemicals.  Sometimes I can smell it on him even after he showers and scrubs down.  Gross.

I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of income to have him out of that environment.

DS also would not have to go to daycare anymore, and DH could oversee more of his schooling.  He'd rather just stay home as a SAHD, but we can't go down to just my income just yet.

• Like 6

It might be the day for crime and punishment. I have one child lined up for baseboard cleaning this afternoon due to excessive whining. :glare:

Oh man. I don't miss those days. 

I royally ticked my mom off one time. I was watching trashy talk shows and my mom told me not to watch repeatedly. Then she caught me sneaking them. That wasn't pretty. I had to detail her car, scrub the baseboards, and wash all the large dishes in the house. 

I didn't it again. :/ 

• Like 4

Typically, I have a three strikes and you do baseboards rule. I happily endure complaints (three per child) that have no basis in reality. After that, they pay me to listen. :D

ETA: It used to be four, but they are old enough to self-regulate a little bit better now.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

Checking in to say that my morning doctor's appointment is turning into all day in the big city. Doctor wanted more blood despite me just doing labs on Thursday. That turned into an ordeal with four pokes and two different phlebotomists. They had an opening this afternoon for a mammogram so I took it to just get it over with. Dd and I are eating lunch downtown while we wait for my appointment time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just had a long phone call from another team mom.  Kid with hurt feelings' mom has gone to that mom to complain about yet other people hurting her feelings.  Lots of triangulation here.  I advised her that other people's feelings are not hers to solve, that no one is being unkind to a teen, and that grown folks need to let go or address things for themselves.  Trying to diffuse before we go on a week long trip with all of these people because it will be easier for all of us that way.  Still not the mediator for the world, though.   :D

Just thought y'all needed to  hear the latest installment in "As the Basketball World Turns".

If it continues while you're up here, just escape to Hurt's Donuts and drown your drama in their maple bacon long john....or their plain glazed...or their red velvet with cheesecake icing....or....well, any of their donuts. Maybe buy whiny mom a donut too - can't complain if your mouth is full of deliciousness. 

Food solves many problems (in my head, anyway). 

ETA: 

in all seriousness, this child is learning his behavior from his mother and she is being ridiculous. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

If it continues while you're up here, just escape to Hurt's Donuts and drown your drama in their maple bacon long john....or their plain glazed...or their red velvet with cheesecake icing....or....well, any of their donuts. Maybe buy whiny mom a donut too - can't complain if your mouth is full of deliciousness. 

Food solves many problems (in my head, anyway). 

ETA: 

in all seriousness, this child is learning his behavior from his mother and she is being ridiculous. 

Your ETA is my thought exactly.

Do they have gluten free donuts?  Cuz Maple bacon sounds good, and I don't even eat pork.   :hat:

• Like 1

Just had a long phone call from another team mom. Kid with hurt feelings' mom has gone to that mom to complain about yet other people hurting her feelings. Lots of triangulation here. I advised her that other people's feelings are not hers to solve, that no one is being unkind to a teen, and that grown folks need to let go or address things for themselves. Trying to diffuse before we go on a week long trip with all of these people because it will be easier for all of us that way. Still not the mediator for the world, though. :D

Just thought y'all needed to hear the latest installment in "As the Basketball World Turns".

Well, thanks so much for sharing, Tex. But what about MY feelings? Why are you not asking how I feel?

😢

• Like 4

I'm hurt that nobody *cough - Tex * is

trying to solve all my problems and pave my way with flower petals.

Oh Jean!  (bowing low)  What can I do to solve your problems?  I am the world's problem-solver so I know I can help if I do the right dance while saying the right words and all of the planets are in alignment.  Had I known you were a special snowflake, I would have tried ever so much harder from the beginning.

• Like 7

Checking in to say that my morning doctor's appointment is turning into all day in the big city. Doctor wanted more blood despite me just doing labs on Thursday. That turned into an ordeal with four pokes and two different phlebotomists. They had an opening this afternoon for a mammogram so I took it to just get it over with. Dd and I are eating lunch downtown while we wait for my appointment time.

OTOH my court papers took under 1 minute! All these chipper young clerks running around efficiently, hardly any lines.

Other than the traffic/parking situation I really love Seattle.

We should have met for lunch.

• Like 7

OTOH my court papers took under 1 minute! All these chipper young clerks running around efficiently, hardly any lines.

Four hours and 50 minutes later we are finally home!  It's been years since I've been downtown there so we chose a much more expensive place than I would have chosen otherwise.  Ironically on the way back to the doctor's office I saw all these reasonable places that I hadn't seen going to lunch. 

• Like 8

Four hours and 50 minutes later we are finally home! It's been years since I've been downtown there so we chose a much more expensive place than I would have chosen otherwise. Ironically on the way back to the doctor's office I saw all these reasonable places that I hadn't seen going to lunch.

You deserve a treat.

• Like 8

We had so much fun in Seattle when we were there, oh, must have been almost 11 years ago. We went up the space needle and down to the pier and watched fish throwers and bought cartons of fresh cherries...mmmmm. So delicious! Oh, and we went on a ferry. And up Mt. Rainier, and stayed in a cabin/campground that was overrun with rabbits!

• Like 5

Oh Jean! (bowing low) What can I do to solve your problems? I am the world's problem-solver so I know I can help if I do the right dance while saying the right words and all of the planets are in alignment. Had I known you were a special snowflake, I would have tried ever so much harder from the beginning.

No fair! Everyone KNOWS that all Jean REALLY needs is essential oils...

• Like 7

A friend is coming over night for late night Netflix and ice-cream so she can escape her crazy life (and come visit mine?!!). Any suggestions of what we should watch?

Serenity (because Firefly)

Firefly

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

An Idiot Abroad (language! irreverence! But in a British accent, so...)

• Like 3

It might be the day for crime and punishment. I have one child lined up for baseboard cleaning this afternoon due to excessive whining. :glare:

As I was going back through posts I read this and realized that I can't use this punishment.  Dd8 likes to clean baseboards.  

• Like 3

No suggestions for movies, I'm afraid. I keep trying to track down Radioland Murders at the library for movie night, but haven't found it yet.

I ordered some books. I have French and Key to Decimals coming, and today I ordered two collections of short stories for middle school students and a collection of essays called Breakfast On Mars that I'm really excited about. 

• Like 4

As I was going back through posts I read this and realized that I can't use this punishment.  Dd8 likes to clean baseboards.  

So do my boys. They don't like the idea of extra housekeeping, but the actual work is very rewarding. I hate baseboards because my back gets too sore. So it isn't so much a punishment as just the fact that they have to pay me to put up with more than the granted three complaints a day. I'll happily put up with as much complaining as they want to throw at me as long as I get paid. :laugh:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I used to put beads in a cup and let those stand for how many snipes and gripes per day each boy got free. Every time that they used one up, I'd take it from the jar. Anything over the limit equated to 15 min of baseboard cleaning for Mom as payment to listen to the whine. The beads kept it visual and helped everyone keep up with their attitudes. You'd think I'd have cleaner baseboards, but most of the time they figured out how to shut her down before they lost their last bead. Which frankly, was the plan... :001_smile:

• Like 5

So do my boys. They don't like the idea of extra housekeeping, but the actual work is very rewarding. I hate baseboards because my back gets too sore. So it isn't so much a punishment as just the fact that they have to pay me to put up with more than the granted three complaints a day. I'll happily put up with as much complaining as they want to throw at me as long as I get paid. :laugh:

If you give my 2 littlest girls a Swiffer duster thing, everything in the house (about 48 inches and down) will meet it.  Some of those things will be cleaned and some will not.   :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

• Like 7

So glad that your paperwork went well!

• Like 3

Thank you!!! All papers are now in hand. :D

It is wet. Water is life. I love it. We have fish and boats and mountains and bears. Also really weird idiosyncratic artists and 10% of the population just got here and I believe feels deeply misled about the extent of civilization promised them. This ain't Houston folks. It isn't even Detroit.

• Like 8

I loved being a janitor! (At 15...)

My first job was cleaning for my dad's janitorial company. I loved it. I could go at my own pace and I didn't have to deal with people. :)

When I worked at the high-security juvenile prison during graveyard shift, I would volunteer to do the laundry when they needed someone. Something about going through hidden walls (ninja-style) was probably intriguing. That, and not dealing with people.

• Like 6

Jean. That is hilarious. Do you suppose they read the power point guidelines of "about 30 -45 seconds per slide" and applied that rule of thumb to this? Sorry if you made it. So many pictures of the space needle.

We also have a nice library.

• Like 3

Jean. That is hilarious. Do you suppose they read the power point guidelines of "about 30 -45 seconds per slide" and applied that rule of thumb to this? Sorry if you made it. So many pictures of the space needle.

We also have a nice library.

Oh, yeah.  I had heard of the Space Needle before tonight.  And my dh reminded me of Starbucks.   :001_rolleyes:

• Like 4

Your ETA is my thought exactly.

Do they have gluten free donuts?  Cuz Maple bacon sounds good, and I don't even eat pork.   :hat:

Shoot. I forgot that you are gf. 

I don't think they do. :(  

I only had 2 bites of dh's maple bacon. But, I will remember it with fondness. 

• Like 5

What I love most about Washington is the diverse landscape. It has everything. Plus, if you are driving across the state you can make a pit stop at Bob's Tires, Automotive, and Espresso. :D

Do you know Bob?