• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

'Nother earthquake here. This one wasn't where the other one was, either. The one last week was where we have a lot of earthquakes, up in Mammoth. There's some dormant volcanoes up there. Lots of seismic activities. This one we had 5 minutes ago was in the south valley. Hmm. Maybe California is getting ready to break off into the Pacific.

• Like 7

:seeya:

Today was beautiful-sunny and in the forties.  Day 2 of removing ice and frozen poop from the paddocks.  (Despite diligent cleaning, the snow covers up a lot, i.e., when we get a big dump overnight. [ teehee.gif ]  Also, I fell behind during dog crisis.  Which was followed by impossible weather.  So it's catch up time.  Oof.)  I suspect that I shall sleep well tonight.

Nana-banana came out today to drop off Crab Mac-n-Cheese for the peeps who like crab (i.e., not me) and Noodles and Sauerkraut for the one brilliant person in the family who appreciates the magnificence of the well-aged cabbage (that'd be me.)

Nana rocks.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 8

:seeya:

Today was beautiful-sunny and in the forties. Day 2 of removing ice and frozen poop from the paddocks. (Despite diligent cleaning, the snow covers up a lot, i.e., when we get a big dump overnight. [teehee.gif] Also, I fell behind during dog crisis. Which was followed by impossible weather. So it's catch up time. Oof.) I suspect that I shall sleep well tonight.

Poopaerobics!

Nana-banana came out today to drop off Crab Mac-n-Cheese for the peeps who like crab (i.e., not me) and Noodles and Sauerkraut for the one brilliant person in the family who appreciates the magnificence of the well-aged cabbage (that'd be me.)

Nana rocks.

Lobster mac-n-cheese is my primary aspiration for our trip to Maine.

• Like 2

'Nother earthquake here. This one wasn't where the other one was, either. The one last week was where we have a lot of earthquakes, up in Mammoth. There's some dormant volcanoes up there. Lots of seismic activities. This one we had 5 minutes ago was in the south valley. Hmm. Maybe California is getting ready to break off into the Pacific.

That's down where we used to live. It's a very geologically complex area (as is all of California.)

Little known fact:  One of my favorite classes in college was the dreaded LAB SCIENCE (I went to a university with a pharmacy school, so the sciences were hard.)  I opted for "California Geology," mostly because I figured it would be easier than the other choices.  It.Was.FABULOUS.  And we went on field/camping trips.  So, so awesome.

• Like 5

Oh, and I am overcome by envy at the sight of your corn, Renai.  Corn is very hard to grow here; the growing season is usually too short.  And there's nothing better than corn smeared with butter roasted on the fire or in the oven.  :drool5:

Yes, we grilled quite a bit of corn that year. Last year, the corn wasn't so tall, but I think it was different seed corn. I'm looking to build up the soil again this year to hopefully get another good crop. We've also planted popcorn before. Those little stalks are so cute! 

Yes, I've been planning this year's garden, even though nothing can be planted outside until May. Well, cold weather stuff can go out. Hmmm...

• Like 5

"My name is Renai.  I am really, really, really cool.  I am also really, really, really smart.  And kind of really, really compact.  I have done many, many, many, really, really cool things in my really, really amazing life..."

Does this help at all, Renai?

Or do y'all think that I should outsource writing to Tex?

• Like 6

"My name is Renai. I am really, really, really cool. I am also really, really, really smart. And kind of really, really compact. I have done many, many, many, really, really cool things in my really, really amazing life..."

Prolly. ;)

I advise my students to avoid the overuse of adjectives.

• Like 2

That's down where we used to live. It's a very geologically complex area (as is all of California.)

Little known fact: One of my favorite classes in college was the dreaded LAB SCIENCE (I went to a university with a pharmacy school, so the sciences were hard.) I opted for "California Geology," mostly because I figured it would be easier than the other choices. It.Was.FABULOUS. And we went on field/camping trips. So, so awesome.

I bet it was interesting. I took a seminar at the H.S convention a couple years ago in CA geology. It was very interesting. I looked in the map and it looks like this quake was close to the San Andreas Fault.
  • Like 2

I bet it was interesting. I took a seminar at the H.S convention a couple years ago in CA geology. It was very interesting. I looked in the map and it looks like this quake was close to the San Andreas Fault.

Actually, that's a bit of a ways away. And the San Andreas in the southern part of the state tends to move pretty regularly.  There are SO MANY faults, though, it's hard to say.  And then, right at the southern part of the valley, is the Transverse Range, which is just a huge mish-mash of faults going every which way. Like I said, so many faults; it's hard to say.  But it's very intellectually stimulating.  Now that I don't live there anymore, of course!

• Like 2

How's your weather down there? Looks a bit treacherous! 

Just raining as far as I could tell driving home. The beeks took too long, again! This time the meeting went 45 min over and I think that a whole section of the meeting got missed due to technical difficulties. This was their first attempt at anything like this, however, so they will improve. A fun time was had by all despite the lateness of the meeting. I won nothing, but came within one number of winning a smoker. Which would have been cool. 

• Like 2

"My name is Renai.  I am really, really, really cool.  I am also really, really, really smart.  And kind of really, really compact.  I have done many, many, many, really, really cool things in my really, really amazing life..."

:smilielol5:

I needed that.  Thank you, JJM.  

• Like 3

So, my other dd this morning (who was on prevacid solutabs for a year) audibly refluxed this morning and complained of the fire in her throat. :(

I think we're going to put everybody through a gluten free trial.  We are already mostly dairy free.  I've been delaying doing this for forever, but this afternoon I am meal planning.....

What are your budget friendly staples? 

I don't really have any budget friendly staples (except Heartland Pasta - I (heart) Heartland Pasta), but I do have a massive  almost massive  large-ish collection of gluten-free boards on Pinterest.  Except for the first 4 boards, the top 3 and a half rows are all gluten-free. Hope it helps! 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 2

Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1:1 flour---good? I am thinking of making some sweet breads for the kids to go with their eggs and fresh fruit in the morning for breakfast.

If you can find Domata flour, it's a great 1:1 flour.

I don't always use it, but the GF Bisquick is good too. 

I like this site for recipes and such: http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

• Like 2

Someone posted an iPad mini new in case on Craigslist. They did not state whether it was a one or two. I know this because their phone number is one digit off mine and I have been dealing with inquiries all day.

That sounds beyond frustrating.  Especially during an election year.  Enough calls already!!

• Like 2

Did I mention this??? Today is a blur.  

But ds8 is so delighted with his crutches (for now) that he's forgiven me.  Tomorrow is his follow up with the ortho, and then possibly a hard cast if the break is confirmed.  

So we are icing, and elevating, and watching lots of curious george.  

• Like 7