Menu

Ignore this thread!

I think I may go visit my foster mom in the morning around 11ish before we go to the big city. My foster dad is being cremated, and the memorial service will be at a later date. I would like to take a card with some money in it. Is that appropriate? How much? I was thinking $25 or so. Or is that all kinds of bad manners?

Is the funeral a financial burden?  If so, I would explain that although it is not much, you had hoped to contribute to any needs the family has.  I think that would be a nice gesture.  If the funeral is not a financial burden, I would just write a card.  You can also offer to bring food or help in some way with a memorial service.  We did something similar with my mom, and the service was held about three weeks after her passing.  She donated her body to science so we didn't get ashes back for a long time.

• Like 7

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Is the funeral a financial burden? If so, I would explain that although it is not much, you had hoped to contribute to any needs the family has. I think that would be a nice gesture. If the funeral is not a financial burden, I would just write a card. You can also offer to bring food or help in some way with a memorial service. We did something similar with my mom, and the service was held about three weeks after her passing. She donated her body to science so we didn't get ashes back for a long time.

No. I don't think the cost would be a burden. Maybe I should wait until the memorial service and get flowers. I was going to ask her church if there would be a dinner after and see if I could help.

• Like 2

I think I may go visit my foster mom in the morning around 11ish before we go to the big city. My foster dad is being cremated, and the memorial service will be at a later date. I would like to take a card with some money in it. Is that appropriate? How much? I was thinking $25 or so. Or is that all kinds of bad manners?

:grouphug: 

You would send a handwritten card--not a printed "sympathy" card from the HI There Greeting Card Co., but a blank card on which you have written something--and your contribution.

• Like 3

Memorial services are not the custom here so I'm very unfamiliar. I go to very few funerals for that matter or weddings. I don't know. Organized rituals are not my thing.

Offering to help set up, bring food, serve and clean up would be a great help and a loving gesture. I really appreciated the people who did this at my mom's memorial. It really touched me.
  • Like 4

Kind of a rough day, today. I'm hurting all over from the weather change that's coming in. And I'm sad. So I've taken some medications and am going to put on my best fluffy socks before I go to bed and see if that soothes me. It's just tough being me some days. :sad:

ETA: Thank goodness it's only tough some of the time. Most of the time it isn't that bad of a deal being me.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I have seen it all. Bill has crashed our thread. :hat:

I'm totally taking credit for luring him in here!

I just edited a friend's paper for her first graduate school class. It was every bit as rough as any of my 9th graders' papers. :huh: She kind of dropped a hint about me writing it for her, which I let fly right by...for so many reasons. I will help folks edit, but I will not create.

Whoa. Some people have cojones...

• Like 7

Guys, guys, guys ... Keith's (hairless rat, for this who missed my posts about it earlier) ear has a discharge! I think this is good news as it's way more likely this IS an ear infection and not neuro or tumours! Hurray for stinky exudate!

He is being such a good boy. He takes his meds like a baby drinking from a bottle, with his little hands hanging on to the syringe.

• Like 11

Good Morning Friends!

:seeya: Hi Bill!  Come on in; the water's fine.  Nice to see you!

I got a blessed 9 hours of sleep last night. That makes up a bit for the 3 I was barely living on yesterday.

Full day here - meeting a friend for breakfast; 14yo ds has a TKD belt test around lunch; going to dinner for my Mom's 70 birthday tonight.  Here's hoping I don't gain 5 pounds today. 

• Like 7

Been wondering how the heck one gets to 52,000 posts :D

Bill

By just being awesome :) 

By talking about everything and nothing. 

And being awesome at it

Showed by boy the first episode of Seinfeld recently, now I think he's on season 8.

Bill

My husband doesn't like Seinfeld. I don't know how we ever got married.  :huh:

• Like 8

Good Morning, ITT! It's quiet and i's the first Saturday I have nothing to do. Well, I have plenty to do, but no meetings, no visiting people in the hospital, no benefit auctions.... just staying at home.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Lynn's mom! Hope she has a great day!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Hey Bill. Good to see you! A heads up: you get extra points around here if you quote yourself or can work "Bob's your uncle" into your post.

Forgot to tell you that I came across "Bob's your uncle" at the end of book 7 of the Flavia deLuce series! And thanks to ITT I knew it meant. 😀

• Like 6

Happy Saturday.

My migraine came back with a vengeance on Wednesday, was a bit better for a few days, and now I have an aura.  It looks kind of  like a pink and gray kaleidoscope.  I don't remember ever having an aura with a migraine before...

I'm wearing an eye patch on one eye, because the light sensitivity is so bad.

The pain isn't really bad right now -- probably a 2 -- and I'm trying to distract myself.

Dh is home to take care of me, and I'm keeping him aware of my symptoms.

I feel like I'm rambling nonsense.

• Like 5

Happy Saturday.

My migraine came back with a vengeance on Wednesday, was a bit better for a few days, and now I have an aura.  It looks kind of  like a pink and gray kaleidoscope.  I don't remember ever having an aura with a migraine before...

I'm wearing an eye patch on one eye, because the light sensitivity is so bad.

The pain isn't really bad right now -- probably a 2 -- and I'm trying to distract myself.

Dh is home to take care of me, and I'm keeping him aware of my symptoms.

I feel like I'm rambling nonsense.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Bless your heart. Migraines are evil.

• Like 4

Junie, sorry you aren't feeling well. I've never had a migraine, but I have sympathy for you!

Tex, I'll take a Twix, please! And maybe some m&m's.

Breakfast is done. We usually have breakfast burritos on Saturday. And my mom's orange tree is absolutely out of control (it is huge), so we had tall glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice this morning. Now, on to other things!

• Like 6

Oh Junie, hugs.  Sounds awful.

Happy Birthday, Lynn's mom!  

I'm still waiting for that world's finest chocolate bar to arrive, Tex.   :toetap05:   

Dh is hanging drywall on the third and final victim of Boston Winter 2015 while I am slowly making progress on finishing the other two walls.  Thankfully we just heard from our babysitter, so secret escape plans have been made!   :auto:

• Like 8

I was a Pioneer Club leader for awhile (and it is Pioneer Clubs, not Pioneer Girls, even if only girls are in it. FYI.) . Younger dd was a member at another church, and went to Camp Cherith in Santa Cruz, CA. :-) I thought it was a pretty good program.

Eeek!  I did not know this!  <hiding head in shame>.  My current church calls it Girls.  It looks like Pioneer Ministries changed names in 1981 when Pioneer Boys began, so that's my excuse:  Our church's club began pre-1981, as did the church I grew up in.  Also it looks like the Boys/Girls/Clubs distinctions are all still used as divisions under the name Pioneer Ministries?? So....hmpf.   I'm not sure what the difference is between Girls vs. Clubs today.   If any.  Too much fluff in this brain of mine to sort it all out.  

Nice board of directors and advisors, though!

ETA:  Oooh!  I found it.  "Depending on your church’s specific needs or preferences the Pioneer program can be run as a co-ed ministry OR as gender-specific clubs."

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 2

Forgot to tell you that I came across "Bob's your uncle" at the end of book 7 of the Flavia deLuce series! And thanks to ITT I knew it meant. 😀

I joined ITT too late. I have no idea what it means. :( 

Stuck in candy selling hell in front of a small town grocery store with the fam.

Good times!

After I spent an hour editing my friend's paper, she said she sent me the wrong one. ????? I like her, but she is seriously pushing it!

DH has been selling popcorn at work for dd's preschool to get a key fob entry system. 

He's sold a lot.

How?

Well, he goes up to people and says "I'm the world's worst salesman. Do you want to buy overpriced popcorn?" 

AND THEY BUY IT! At $14 a bag! Some have even bought 4 bags. I don't get it! 

• Like 5

I've got more than that. I started my taxes a couple of weeks ago. I'm just stuck on one place and then I think it will be smooth sailing from there.

but I'm not really here. You didn't see me. No sirree.

I'm not here either. I am trapped in the internet recipe vortex and can't find my way out...help....need more coffee....

• Like 4