Menu

Ignore this thread!

I woke up with ideas for camp.  I've pinned them on Pinterest so I won't forget and now I'm going back to bed.  I had to go out in the frigid air twice - once to take ds to work and then again to take him his work keys which he forgot at home.  Since this is the first time in a year of working there that he's forgotten them, I'm not peeved. But I'm cold and I'm going to get reacquainted with my fleece blankets now.  See ya later, gators!

• Like 6

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I think Wintermom is in Canada.

Afm, 18 degrees with a high of 39. Which is really good, compared to what it's going to be for the next two days.

Off to work!

Ciao!

That's right, Renai is somewhere more north than here.  I keep picturing East Coast big city.

Thanks for the note on Wintermom!  I'll put her in the western provinces until I know more.

Just today, tomorrow, Thursday, and half day Friday...I can make it until the Christmas break. I'm beyond done with this class this year. I definitely need a break if I'm going to teach them until May. 

The more I teach, the more I look forward to homeschooling. 
I know I have rose-colored glasses on right now, but gosh darn it....I am so ready to not have 24 kids who don't listen. I'd rather have just 1...or however many kids I end up with. 

**Also, it makes it REALLY hard to go to work when your daughter says, "Can't you just stay home with me today? I just want you today." 
BREAK.MY.HEART. 

• Like 10

Wow, that's pretty good! The only person I imagine where she lives is Tex. because that's in her name. I think everyone's name ought to have a reference to where they live. That would be helpful. I would change my name to KrisCal!

It took me a while to figure out that Jean wasn't in Newcastle, Delaware.

Thank you both!  I know where NOT to put Jean, and I know where to put Krissi (long, skinny state), and I'll put her in the north of it because that's where my brother was.  This way I can imagine driving over that pass where they won't let you through in the winter if you don't have good enough chains (went through there in the winter with a 2-wheel drive pick-up towing an old VW bug for my brother).

I'm in SE TX, so Tex is mentally to my northwest, in the central TX plains on my map.  Ellie is on a throne somewhere vaguely in Tex's direction holding luaus and traveling frequently to the parts of Hawaii I have visited, and Slashie is in Oregon, in Portland because I've been there and can imagine it (though most of what I remember is a hotel).  Renai is in an anonymous/generic big city somewhere (I keep putting her in an apartment for some reason), Susan is in Tennessee (imagined to be near where my sister used to be there, in Knoxville), somebody is in Seattle but I can't remember who.  I suspect Jean is nowhere near Tex, but I keep imagining them driving each other's kids places, so mentally she's over by Tex on my map.

I would like to imagine Canada, but have a hard time doing so without a clue as to whether whoever is there is in territories or provinces, east or west.  I'm also feeling brain-dead at the moment because I can't remember who we have in Canada.   :confused1:

For some reason I also thought we had someone in the TX hill country, but I can't remember who there, either.

Do we have anyone from outside North America & Hawaii?  I'd love to add in other continents to my mental ITT map!

I am in the midwest, next to Tex. It is not a big city, but a sprawling county. And I do live in a triplex. I'll take my 659 sq ft because I have lots of yard. I just need to Konmari so I can enjoy my 659 sq ft more.

Funny, I also imagined Tex near Jean because of the convos of picking up each other's kids!

ETA: I had you unlanded as well. I had no idea you were in Tx.

Edited by Renai

Oh, I forgot the geography contest.

We don't actually live in the tundra.  And we are in the good ole U. S. of A.! :patriot:   We have winter, but it's not like Professormom's brutal cold-just four seasons (although we have spells of serious cold. [in fact, our winter has been-overall-too darn warm!  We get snow then rain.  Which means ICE. Bleh. yucky.gif])  Jean is in Newcastle, which is over by Seattle.  We are to her right (quite a ways!) and up, in the Great Inland Northwest.

Although I'm a bit sad to give up the possibility of changing my name to Nanuk of the North.  coverlaugh.gif

• Like 5

And my timer went off and it's time to get ready to take DD11 to the doctor (checking on her range of motion after PT -- her arm stiffened during the weeks in the cast).  I thought we were going to the dentist and was amused by the timing of reading your post, but the dentist appointment is on Thursday, so I'm a little ahead of myself there.

Must dash.  Back later.

Quick note:  DD11's arm is officially all better.  It doesn't hyper-extend as much as the other one, but it straightens and bends fully without pain and discomfort.

Must go move laundry and start the next lesson.

• Like 7

I'm in SE TX, so Tex is mentally to my northwest, in the central TX plains on my map.  Ellie is on a throne somewhere vaguely in Tex's direction holding luaus and traveling frequently to the parts of Hawaii I have visited, and Slashie is in Oregon, in Portland because I've been there and can imagine it (though most of what I remember is a hotel).  Renai is in an anonymous/generic big city somewhere (I keep putting her in an apartment for some reason), Susan is in Tennessee (imagined to be near where my sister used to be there, in Knoxville), somebody is in Seattle but I can't remember who.  I suspect Jean is nowhere near Tex, but I keep imagining them driving each other's kids places, so mentally she's over by Tex on my map.

I would like to imagine Canada, but have a hard time doing so without a clue as to whether whoever is there is in territories or provinces, east or west.  I'm also feeling brain-dead at the moment because I can't remember who we have in Canada.   :confused1:

For some reason I also thought we had someone in the TX hill country, but I can't remember who there, either.

Do we have anyone from outside North America & Hawaii?  I'd love to add in other continents to my mental ITT map!

I thought that was Ellie.  ?

• Like 2

Just today, tomorrow, Thursday, and half day Friday...I can make it until the Christmas break. I'm beyond done with this class this year. I definitely need a break if I'm going to teach them until May. 

The more I teach, the more I look forward to homeschooling. 

I know I have rose-colored glasses on right now, but gosh darn it....I am so ready to not have 24 kids who don't listen. I'd rather have just 1...or however many kids I end up with. 

**Also, it makes it REALLY hard to go to work when your daughter says, "Can't you just stay home with me today? I just want you today." 

BREAK.MY.HEART. 

I am SO THERE. 

• Like 5

Do you teach outside of the home? 

Yes. I had taken a year break last year (I was also finishing up my graduate degree), but came back this year. It was a long hard process of thinking and rethinking that was hashed out a couple of hundred pages ago on this thread. But, I'm tired of it already. It's enough to make me wish I played the lottery.

• Like 4

Dear ITT folks, I am pretty sure I have forum stalkers, so this is a message for them. Just so y'all know I'm on to you. And it's OK with me. I get your purpose, but it IS a little pathetic. ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Whose butt do I need to kick?

#saidbutt

Did I ever mention that my last big paper for my class that Tex proofread for me didn't have a single grammar, spelling, or other English usage error? Thanks, Tex. The woman deserves some chocolate.

BOOM!  We are awesome together.  We should jointly run for president and forget all the clowns currently on the ticket.  It will be Tex/Renai as the joint president.  We have all the things.  (You sent my chocolate already.  :D)

I woke up this morning and thought that my grandmother was still alive.  She died over a decade ago.  Dreams are strange...

:grouphug:

The kids loved this. And yes, now they want an itty, bitty pony:-)

I want a pony.  Where's my pony?  All I want is what I have coming to me.  All I want is my fair share.  (TV reference)

Matt let someone use our Amazon prime to buy an engagement ring. He texted me so I don't freak out about the email. Isn't he supposed to be working?

A diamond booya!

Who even does this?  

Ellie.  And Jann in TX, who is not on this thread but since she teaches ds15 Geometry she is crucial to my life.

My parents are close to some of you in TX.

ETA: Which is where I lived for 10 years, before accidentally moving where I am now.

Who accidentally leaves TX?  Who even does this?

• Like 6

Whose butt do I need to kick?

#saidbutt

BOOM! We are awesome together. We should jointly run for president and forget all the clowns currently on the ticket. It will be Tex/Renai as the joint president. We have all the things. (You sent my chocolate already. :D)

:grouphug:

I want a pony. Where's my pony? All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share. (TV reference)

Who even does this?

Ellie. And Jann in TX, who is not on this thread but since she teaches ds15 Geometry she is crucial to my life.

Who accidentally leaves TX? Who even does this?

He wanted the free shipping because they charge a fortune to send diamonds, and it's coming to our house so she doesn't see it.

• Like 1

Sounds like a National Lampoon type story. ;) 

Whoops! This doesn't look like St. Louis. RENO?! WHAT?

I wish. It, unfortunately, is not a funny or happy story. I decided to travel; I dropped out of university. I was probably also depressed as a close friend that I considered a brother died. I did have a destination(s) though, and was going to visit another friend in another state. Met a friend of a friend at the starting point. He needed a ride and it was along my route. He raped me, I got pregnant, did not want to travel pregnant, and stayed here - between where I came from and where I was going. That's pretty much it. I love my daughter though. Even though she's a teenager.  :lol:

• Like 5

Yes. I had taken a year break last year (I was also finishing up my graduate degree), but came back this year. It was a long hard process of thinking and rethinking that was hashed out a couple of hundred pages ago on this thread. But, I'm tired of it already. It's enough to make me wish I played the lottery.

I'm going to start practicing with royal icing. I have seen so many SAHM's who decorate cookies year round. They sell gorgeous cookies (6-12 cookies) for $26-$45!!! 

I'm thinking, I need to learn to decorate and sell those bad boys. I figure I have a better chance at that business than the lottery. (Though one of our lunch ladies won $1,000 yesterday with a scratch off ticket.)

ETA: A girl I follow on Instagram sold 10 sets of 6 Christmas Mickey Mouse cookies. SUPER cute. 

6 cookies for $40!! 

She made $400 on 60 cookies. 

I'm baffled that 1) she made that much and 2) that people pay that much! But, looking on Etsy, people pay a lot for specialty cookies. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

I wish. It, unfortunately, is not a funny or happy story. I decided to travel; I dropped out of university. I was probably also depressed as a close friend that I considered a brother died. I did have a destination(s) though, and was going to visit another friend in another state. Met a friend of a friend at the starting point. He needed a ride and it was along my route. He raped me, I got pregnant, did not want to travel pregnant, and stayed here - between where I came from and where I was going. That's pretty much it. I love my daughter though. Even though she's a teenager.  :lol:

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. 

I almost put a disclaimer that I had no idea as to the story, so I was hoping I wasn't making light of a serious situation. I wish I had now. 

Please note that during my vacation from school/co-op, I assign myself a list of unpleasant tasks daily.  Don't feel too sorry for me, as it is designed to keep me from sitting on my butt all day.  (#saidbuttagain)

Today's list includes:  Read essay (co-op kid), which I have already done.  Also on the list is deal with the stuff piled into the basket by the kitchen (papers that need to be organized for tax purposes).  Thirdly, I will attempt to fix the coffee table, which is old and rickety because children are worse than tornadoes on furniture.  It is always collapsing and letting my homeschool materials fall down.  When I pass it, I frequently have to give it a soccer kick to knock it back in place.  I have informed a kid that he will be helping me.  If we cannot fix it with my determination and a proper glue, we will have to buy another stinking coffee table.  I do not want to spend money on furniture while the wild animals   children are still in the house falling about everything and destroying it all.  Seriously, one kid pushed another yesterday, who fell into my rickety coffee table and sat down hard on it, not improving the coffee table's stability.

For Hornblower - I brushed at the dog's mats some this morning while she anxiously bit at me and the brush and circled around on the couch, trying to get me to knock it off.  In the middle of this, the floor dude arrived to do some stuff to the house, and she greeted him like he had brought her a huge steak.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Also, I am not peeking in dh's Amazon account. He's ordered almost all my gifts from there and I REALLY want to peek, but I'm not...I'm not...I'm not...I promise. 

I already know one thing he got me. I accidentally saw the bank statement. lol So, I guess I should keep the rest a surprise, huh?

I don't know if I'm going to have any surprises on Christmas, as I bought my own gifts on Black Friday.  Because sale.  (And because I always end up returning half of what dh picks for me. :leaving: )

• Like 3

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. 

I almost put a disclaimer that I had no idea as to the story, so I was hoping I wasn't making light of a serious situation. I wish I had now. 

No worries. It's been 17 years. 

And, believe it or not, although I understood the NL reference, I have actually never seen the whole thing from beginning to end.  :leaving:

• Like 5

I don't know if I'm going to have any surprises on Christmas, as I bought my own gifts on Black Friday.  Because sale.  (And because I always end up returning half of what dh picks for me. :leaving: )

This is why you put all your wants into a wish list on Amazon. No returns, no excessive amounts of Bath and Body Works because dh gets overwhelmed and buys whatever the sales associate gives him (not that I have experienced that at all...), no gifts you keep because you feel bad for the poor guy. 

Just lots and lots of what you want, but won't buy for yourself. :D It's worked wonderfully for the last 4 years. 

• Like 3

Dh asks me what I want for Christmas repeatedly, but I never want anything.  I am not into stuff really.  I am also cheap and one year I asked him to buy me some silver hoop earrings because mine broke.  I pictured him going to Kohl's and spending $15.  He went to James Avery and spent $50 on a very thin, flimsy pair with an odd clasp. 

I think I actually want cowboy boots.  (Do not make fun.)  I have some from college when I taught horseback riding as a good Texan should, but after I had babies, my feet grew and they no longer fit.  Oddly, dh was with me when I bought that pair, as well.

• Like 4

I'm going to start practicing with royal icing. I have seen so many SAHM's who decorate cookies year round. They sell gorgeous cookies (6-12 cookies) for $26-$45!!! 

I'm thinking, I need to learn to decorate and sell those bad boys. I figure I have a better chance at that business than the lottery. (Though one of our lunch ladies won $1,000 yesterday with a scratch off ticket.)

ETA: A girl I follow on Instagram sold 10 sets of 6 Christmas Mickey Mouse cookies. SUPER cute. 

6 cookies for $40!! 

She made $400 on 60 cookies. 

I'm baffled that 1) she made that much and 2) that people pay that much! But, looking on Etsy, people pay a lot for specialty cookies. 

I need to figure out something. I love tutoring, but it is time consuming outside the home to get a good income. Last year, I worked from home writing a portion of curriculum for a national company. I liked doing that too. I have not figured out cookies at high altitude, although I can make breads.

I considered crocheting stuff, but there are people a lot better than me, and I don't know if the time input is worth it. I've made this http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=Search&store=%2Fstores%2Feyarn&resultPageTemplate=ResultPage.html&resultItemTemplate=ResultItem.txt&noResultPageTemplate=NoResultPage.html&case=no&primaryServer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lionbrand.com&minPrice=0&noBoolean=1&searchText=clown+carriage+toy&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&sT=1and this http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90155AD.html?noImages= and got good reviews of my work.

I don't know. I do know I have student loans to pay. And we'll probably be in this triplex until we die.

I have a hard time deciding what I want. Poor DH has had about 8 revised lists this year. I see something on Pinterest that would be fun and add to it. But, when he firsts asks, I can't think of a blessed thing. 
This year, I was adding on things like a new chef knife and some tennis shoes. Things he would NOT want to give me for Christmas. It gets harder and harder as I get older. 

• Like 2

OK so I know I've been a poor participant in ITT lately and I'm sorry.  The library Chewie appearance was so awesome!! And then everything else is crazy stressful. AUGH!!!

I'm still not getting responses to any of my emails from my boss, and when I called yesterday she acted like it was an emergency to get off the phone.

Chris (wife) is worried about Izzy's (6 yo daughter's) homeschooling, which is stalled out because we had vacation followed my medical drama followed by holiday followed by medical drama and now.. another holiday. She's not really behind or even close to behind, but there's stress that she's "stalled".

I told Chris she's already WAY past baseline anyway and once the holidays are over I'm going to combine a lot of self motivated learning (because she's super inquisitive) with some traditional rote stuff for math and reading. She's... still worried and keeps talking about just registering her at another school. I told her all the schools are poor compromises over what we could do ourselves with some effort and anyway Izzy was getting beat up and mocked basically every day by everyone else's troglodyte kids. I'm not into it, man.

Then there's the question of how much longer I'm going to have a job. I really, honestly don't care anymore. It's like: pull the bandaid off already. I'm worried about the consequences but I can't take this [censored for the sensitive] anymore with the constant politics of nonsense and the careful avoidance of standing out by accomplishing.... [bleep] anything at all.

I feel like if I can make a [bleep] Chewbacca suit that looks exactly like [bleep] Chewbacca with my [bleep] HANDS, then I should be able to do something creative for a living. And I know it's not as simple as that but [bleep] if I want to drop dead of a brain tumor or whatever the [bleep] is going on with my brain/heart while still working for this corporate nightmare and using like 4% of my [bleep] brain (and getting cut down whack-a-mole style whenever I'm proactive). I'm so [bleep] done.

I just have no plan. I have vague ideas of art I'd like to create and some specific projects in mind, but no clue of how to make them pay the bills. I just don't think that way, and that's why I've been an employee for decades even though it makes me [bleep] crazy.

Apologies if I've missed any bleeps. I'll go back and edit. :-P
  • Like 4

This is why you put all your wants into a wish list on Amazon. No returns, no excessive amounts of Bath and Body Works because dh gets overwhelmed and buys whatever the sales associate gives him (not that I have experienced that at all...), no gifts you keep because you feel bad for the poor guy. 

Just lots and lots of what you want, but won't buy for yourself. :D It's worked wonderfully for the last 4 years. 

I have a list, but it's all curriculum.  I actually would be thrilled to get those items for Christmas, but it would seem kind of weird for me to open up gifts on Christmas morning and have the dc see all the ways I plan to torture them next semester.   :laugh:

• Like 3

I need to figure out something. I love tutoring, but it is time consuming outside the home to get a good income. Last year, I worked from home writing a portion of curriculum for a national company. I liked doing that too. I have not figured out cookies at high altitude, although I can make breads.

I considered crocheting stuff, but there are people a lot better than me, and I don't know if the time input is worth it. I've made this http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=Search&store=%2Fstores%2Feyarn&resultPageTemplate=ResultPage.html&resultItemTemplate=ResultItem.txt&noResultPageTemplate=NoResultPage.html&case=no&primaryServer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lionbrand.com&minPrice=0&noBoolean=1&searchText=clown+carriage+toy&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&sT=1and this http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90155AD.html?noImages= and got good reviews of my work.

I don't know. I do know I have student loans to pay. And we'll probably be in this triplex until we die.

My last principal destroyed all educational creativity in me, I think, otherwise I'd be all over Teachers Pay Teachers. One teachers has funded 2 international adoptions from her TpT funds. Others have literally made 1 million from their sales. It's insane. 

Have you looked into creating items for TpT? 

• Like 1

Renai, how did you meet your husband?

When I got here, I had nowhere to stay. For a while (about 2 months), I stayed with the rapist's dad. Interestingly, prior to this experience, I volunteered at both a crisis pregnancy center and a domestic violence shelter. (Since graveyard phone answers are hard to get, and I worked graveyard shift and was used to it, on my days off I did the phones.) Thus, I looked up those resources when I found out I was pregnant. I was referred to a homeless shelter. That's where I met dh. He had been in the country about 3 months at the time.

• Like 1

Those are REALLY cute boots Slache!

Thanks. I got a discontinued color for I think $60. I wanted something cute I could actually do things in. I stopped by my girlfriends after church and she suggested that Matt leave me there and we'd go on a hike. I hiked 5 miles in those things without a hitch. It wasn't exactly rock climbing, but it was hilly and 5 miles isn't something one can do in dress shoes without a problem.

• Like 1

My last principal destroyed all educational creativity in me, I think, otherwise I'd be all over Teachers Pay Teachers. One teachers has funded 2 international adoptions from her TpT funds. Others have literally made 1 million from their sales. It's insane. 

I have considered it. In fact, I have an account. I just don't know what to create...

• Like 1

When I got here, I had nowhere to stay. For a while (about 2 months), I stayed with the rapist's dad. Interestingly, prior to this experience, I volunteered at both a crisis pregnancy center and a domestic violence shelter. (Since graveyard phone answers are hard to get, and I worked graveyard shift and was used to it, on my days off I did the phones.) Thus, I looked up those resources when I found out I was pregnant. I was referred to a homeless shelter. That's where I met dh. He had been in the country about 3 months at the time.

How romantic. ;)

I'm sorry for your hardships.

• Like 3

So, can you tell me about this?  I've been creating some of my own classes for dc, because I hate most of the literature curriculum that I've come across.

I've thought about doing something like this after dd5 gets into high school (so, a long time from now), but I'm interested in how it works.

ETA:  A Booyah on an educational post!!  

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

Tex, are you going to have attachment issues with your pooch?  Poor puppy.

Ds and I have been watching videos on step wells in India and Roman aqueducts.  Historical water management is actually really interesting.

No, she absolutely adores me and looks at me with liquid brown eyes (with eyeliner because Pyr).  

You should read Archimedes and the Door of Science.  It is a hoot. :lol:   Archimedes is a trip, and that is such an interesting book.  But it ends all Shakespearian-esque.  I read it to my boys and just finished up with little dd, who begged for more Archimedes.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

I just have no plan. I have vague ideas of art I'd like to create and some specific projects in mind, but no clue of how to make them pay the bills. I just don't think that way, and that's why I've been an employee for decades even though it makes me [bleep] crazy.

I'd say just go ahead and start creating. It's better than thinking about it. 

• Like 2