Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have taken the uncivilized supermodel dog to get her nails trimmed and received advice on the matting on her hindquarters.  It's like taking the kids to the dentist.  Everything is my fault and I'm always failing someone.

So we got home and I dutifully tried to brush her hindquarters while she stuck her big head and in the way and bit at me and the brush.  (Not really biting but trying to discourage my actions.)  She does not want people all up in her hind end.  So I got some fur off and gave up.  Hornblower would not have been proud. :leaving:

Now I will make myself brush the vents in the ceiling and vacuum up the dust balls that fall down.  A rockin' life I have, I tell you.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 9

I'm interested to see how motherhood changes her.

Yes. We have an entire closet of baby clothes, a swing, jumper, stroller and backpack simply because I refuse to repurchase them. We also have a closet of toilet paper, paper towels, condiments, canned good and such because it's cheaper to buy in bulk and we have 4.3 people to feed.

I did carry the spark joy concept to all of the kids stuff and they have very little compared to most children.

• Like 5

Marie Kondo wants me to go bankrupt and go to debtor's prison.

Ds20 is currently kon maring our basement. I am not sure why, except that is has become increasingly difficult to get into his bedroom with all the stuff we are storing down there. Every once in a while he will come up and ask what he should do with the old rice cooker (throw it!) or empty under bed storage bins (put them under your sister's bed), or bin of shoes (attic).

• Like 4

So, when I was little, we sometimes watched "The Dick Van Dyke Show." I didn't remember how good it was and so have been pleasantly surprised now that I'm watching it on NetFlix. :-)

There was a show that had a catchy song about Alan Brady, the character in the show for whom Dick and Sally and Whatshisname worked. I have remembered that song forever. So, yesterday when I came home from church, I sat down in front of the TV to veg while waiting for Mr. Ellie to be finished with his church, and when I turned on the TV it was already on CoziTV, which shows only old TV shows and movies. Guess what was on? Yes.

Yesterday was Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday!   :party:

• Like 7

Junie, when you've got six school-aged kids, you've won the exhausted lottery in homeschooling.   :)  That should come with naps, right???!!!

We have quiet time at our house for two hours every afternoon.  The dc asked some time ago why we still have quiet time, since no one takes naps any more.  Umm, I do!!   :)

• Like 9

I have taken the uncivilized supermodel dog to get her nails trimmed and received advice on the matting on her hindquarters.  It's like taking the kids to the dentist.  Everything is my fault and I'm always failing someone.

So we got home and I dutifully tried to brush her hindquarters while she stuck her big head and in the way and bit at me and the brush.  (Not really biting but trying to discourage my actions.)  She does not want people all up in her hind end.  So I got some fur off and gave up.  Hornblower would not have been proud. :leaving:

Now I will make myself brush the vents in the ceiling and vaccum up the dust balls that fall down.  A rockin' life I have, I tell you.

LOL,  I'm always proud when people don't torment dogs & respect their space & feelings. So there! 

I have a sort of solution for you. Bear - sweet silly old dearly departed Bear - had a wrecked coat on his hindquarters.  (Partly it was what is called 'yak coat' in newfie circles & partly he had huge scarring on his skin from road rash - suspect being hit by car at some point in his life, & his fur grew weird there) & sweet as he was, he really was quite sensitive about certain parts of his body. 

The tools that help you get a matted/coarse & just plain annoying butt on a dog cleaned up are: 

Coat King combs (the original from Germany). Probably a 10 blade like this (steel yourself, they're expensive) 

& The Stuff. Yes, it's called The Stuff.  (or some other silicone based spray. They're often called things like show shine, diamond shine etc. Silicone will make the hair nice & slippery & will stop matts from forming & will help loose fur fall out. Purists will tell you they're not good for coat long term yada yada yada but it's really ok...) 

You don't need to use them at the same time. I'd spray the butt well just before a walk for ex (or better yet, do it outside. It has silicone in it & can make floors wicked slippery) & just rub in with your hands, feed cookies & go out. 

The Coat King combs work like a breeze. They are sharp on the inside of the curve, like little sickles. They will cut matts and knots & therefore do not pull as much. A couple strokes at a time, hold the skin with your other hand so you're not pulling too hard, big cookie and call it done. Next day, do it again.  Lots of quick little repetitions w/ lots of rewards spaced out over days & weeks, not a big job once a week or every couple weeks, kwim? It's like spelling LOL 

Oh that reminds me - I once got carried away with the Coat King & gave Bear a bit of an almost bald spot on his flank. Ooooppps. 

• Like 6

And Good Monday Morning!

The beginning of break for some, perhaps winding down for others.....

We're signed up to go on a field trip tomorrow. What was I thinking? Worse than a trip to the dentist, but at least I don't have to do both. Speaking of dentist.... where's Dawn? And how are you?

I'm still here. I go to the dentist Thursday for extraction so I am trying to get things squared away before then. I imagine after Thursday, I won't feel like doing much of anything, but hanging out here. :)

I have been thinking of you all, and missing ITT terribly. I am almost looking forward to the dentist so I can hang out here. :D

• Like 9

Is there a name for moms who are like stage moms but instead it's about college? & they kind of find themselves being a bit TOO tense & worried about adult kids writing exams & wondering when marks are coming out & *almost* logging into the school student records (because yes, they have the passwords) to see if any results are posted yet? 

/just curious..... you know how people muse out loud....

• Like 6

I have spent most of the day binge-watching NetFlix. My reasons are (1) I'm recovering from peopling this weekend, and (2) my ankles have been swollen for a couple of weeks for no apparent reason, and so I elevate them whenever possible, hence Netflix.

That is all.

• Like 9

That is good to hear. I am traumatized with you. The ITT'ers will trade off coming to live with you while he is gone.

I second this motion.

:grouphug: Lynn

I do the mapping of ITT peeps, too. When I ask y'all for prayers and good thoughts, I imagine where y'all live (the best I can), and I feel all warm and cozy inside. :wub:

• Like 7

Everytime I do a stupid/frivolous post someone sneaks in a serious post about Lynn's hubby.

I'm sorry Lynn. I'm sorry he's leaving, I'm sorry there's a need for him to leave, and I'm sorry your babies will have to miss him. Thanks for everything. I would love to come see you. Hugs.

• Like 9

Is it too much to ask that we have dark chocolate, strawberries, and mozzarella on hand at all times? Come on people, I'm a frigging princess for crying out loud!

::drinking ensure with irritation::

See, while Queen Ellie is Spaldinging your children,  you should come to my house and Konmari. We have all the good snacks here.

• Like 8

If it's liquid I inject it into a banana. If it's a pill I shove it down their throat, quickly give them a banana and then apologize profusely for 3 days.

he's too wise. This is may palliative boy. He's been on bay & doxy for months & now has clavamox & metacam. 

Torani raspberry syrup on an all grain bread cube worked for ages.  Then soy based 'cheddar cheeze'. Then banana. Then oatmeal.  I'm cycling through all my tricks. 

He's very respiratorily compromised & possibly has chf too so I can't force things too much or we'll just give him a coronary... :( Of course if he doesn't take his meds he'll die too.... 

Silly old boy. 

LOL,  I'm always proud when people don't torment dogs & respect their space & feelings. So there! 

I have a sort of solution for you. Bear - sweet silly old dearly departed Bear - had a wrecked coat on his hindquarters.  (Partly it was what is called 'yak coat' in newfie circles & partly he had huge scarring on his skin from road rash - suspect being hit by car at some point in his life, & his fur grew weird there) & sweet as he was, he really was quite sensitive about certain parts of his body. 

The tools that help you get a matted/coarse & just plain annoying butt on a dog cleaned up are: 

Coat King combs (the original from Germany). Probably a 10 blade like this (steel yourself, they're expensive) 

& The Stuff. Yes, it's called The Stuff.  (or some other silicone based spray. They're often called things like show shine, diamond shine etc. Silicone will make the hair nice & slippery & will stop matts from forming & will help loose fur fall out. Purists will tell you they're not good for coat long term yada yada yada but it's really ok...) 

You don't need to use them at the same time. I'd spray the butt well just before a walk for ex (or better yet, do it outside. It has silicone in it & can make floors wicked slippery) & just rub in with your hands, feed cookies & go out. 

The Coat King combs work like a breeze. They are sharp on the inside of the curve, like little sickles. They will cut matts and knots & therefore do not pull as much. A couple strokes at a time, hold the skin with your other hand so you're not pulling too hard, big cookie and call it done. Next day, do it again.  Lots of quick little repetitions w/ lots of rewards spaced out over days & weeks, not a big job once a week or every couple weeks, kwim? It's like spelling LOL 

Oh that reminds me - I once got carried away with the Coat King & gave Bear a bit of an almost bald spot on his flank. Ooooppps. 

I have a Shedmonster that looks suspiciously like the expensive thing you linked.  I also have Ion spray for people, which contains silicone so I could use some of that.  It does work well.  I just need another person to help me.  She doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but she is so big that she is hard to manage if she doesn't want to cooperate.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Is there a name for moms who are like stage moms but instead it's about college? & they kind of find themselves being a bit TOO tense & worried about adult kids writing exams & wondering when marks are coming out & *almost* logging into the school student records (because yes, they have the passwords) to see if any results are posted yet? 

/just curious..... you know how people muse out loud....

:lol:

I have spent most of the day binge-watching NetFlix. My reasons are (1) I'm recovering from peopling this weekend, and (2) my ankles have been swollen for a couple of weeks for no apparent reason, and so I elevate them whenever possible, hence Netflix.

That is all.

If I squint just right, my ankles are swollen so I need to elevate and rest with you.

See, while Queen Ellie is Spaldinging your children,  you should come to my house and Konmari. We have all the good snacks here.

I'm coming, too.  Alone.

• Like 7

If it's liquid I inject it into a banana. If it's a pill I shove it down their throat, quickly give them a banana and then apologize profusely for 3 days.

I clipped Rusty Bunny's nails the other day and he very purposefully shunned me for two days.  As in I would go near him and he would turn his back to me!  He now loves his Grambunny again. 

• Like 7

I never understood the kilt thing. I'm not into kilts. There was a man in a kilt at the Oregon homeschool conference the last two years. Obviously a hive husband. Whenever someone noticed and laughed or something he waved. I'm sure 95% of the people there were oblivious.

• Like 3

I clipped Rusty Bunny's nails the other day and he very purposefully shunned me for two days.  As in I would go near him and he would turn his back to me!  He now loves his Grambunny again. 

When I subjected the cats to ear mite treatments, I was shunned, as well. :unsure:

I posted my terrible wound on FB, and folks were horrified and thought I needed medical care.  But I am my own medical care.  I keep applying prescription antibiotic ointment, and I think it gets a little better every day.  It's just red around the edges.

• Like 2

When I subjected the cats to ear mite treatments, I was shunned, as well. :unsure:

I posted my terrible wound on FB, and folks were horrified and thought I needed medical care.  But I am my own medical care.  I keep applying prescription antibiotic ointment, and I think it gets a little better every day.  It's just red around the edges.

Which just might be what I told you to do.  Well, Neosporin anyway. . .

I never understood the kilt thing. I'm not into kilts. There was a man in a kilt at the Oregon homeschool conference the last two years. Obviously a hive husband. Whenever someone noticed and laughed or something he waved. I'm sure 95% of the people there were oblivious.

Me either. You have to be super big and brawny (muscular brawn...) to pull that look off.

Which just might be what I told you to do.  Well, Neosporin anyway. . .

I one-upped you with the prescription stuff.  It doesn't really feel terrible, is not swollen, has no red streaks, is not oozing bad stuff, etc.  I don't know why it is so red, but I don't think it's infected.  Irritated, yes.  Infected, no.  I have gone back to the bandage that makes me look like I have attempted suicide so it is well-covered.

ETA:  What a stupid booya(h) post!

Oh holy booya(h), the stars are brightly shining, etc.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8