• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I stayed home too.  I am spending the morning wrapped up in multiple layers since somehow the furnace didn't kick into day mode this morning.  (I have reset the furnace but it takes time.)  I am also spending time pinning chronic illness memes on Pinterest.  It makes me happy to see how other people feel as badly as I do. 

• Like 5

I am a mess this morning.  I dropped my pills three times this morning while trying to take them.  Then spent all this time trying to find these little bitty pills and great big honking pills on the vinyl kitchen floor where apparently they blend in like camouflage.  Then I tipped over a cup right on the library books but fortunately the water level was low enough that no water sloshed out before I caught it.  Then I was trying to look at stuff here and my big uncoordinated fingers logged me out but I didn't know it so I was panicking because there was no "like" or "reply" or "quote" buttons.  Maybe it's a good thing I didn't go to church. . .   :)

• Like 5

We are resorting to writing letters to the people in our neighborhood to let them know we're in the market for a house. Can't decide how to deliver them. Obviously opening mailboxes is illegal, and we don't mind stamping but addressing is time-consuming. It might not actually be that many that meet our criteria for square footage.

#don'tmindsoundingdesperate

#pleaseletusfindsomethingbeforeinterestratesgoup

• Like 3

I stayed home. I took a nap. Then I paid bills. We're $400 short because of Matt's check. Were do I get $400 for 2 weeks? I've never done this before. I heard those check casing places are gone. Is that true?

#imisshavingmoneyinsavings

Well, you can delay payment on some bills, particularly if you explain your situation.  You can go to the Salvation Army or another place fo help with utility bills.  This is a hard time of the year, and it will take some beating the bushes, but there is probably a church or charity out there that will help you.

• Like 7

I don't know if the check cashing places are gone. I would sooner sell nearly all my clothes than go there (and I've done that).

Are you avoiding overdraft fees, or looking for cash for food? If food, then free food time, go to the food bank. Also... are you on WIC? I'd go there immediately. How can you be $400 short and no mortgage and not qualify?

If it's bills, then call them and explain the situation and ask if you can make a reduced payment for two weeks and then they add to next months. Ask all of them. Then write a check for that amount. Beg. Cry.

In my experience this is much more cost-effective than getting cash in a  hurry which comes with interest. There might be a small fee on some bills, like a car payment, but if you can avoid a bounced check and then pay in full next time, that could help.

ETA: And yes by all means go to the church. Even if you don't go to church. If those were my kids and I was pregnant I'd go to the church and offer to work washing dishes. I know you're pregnant but at least offer to do anything they need so long as your kids can stay nearby. Doesn't matter. Any church worth their salt will at the very least find you envelopes to lick, nativity scene stuff to dust. And if they say "no" don't worry. Most likely they'll give you the money but if not, they might advance it for very light work.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 4

Unfortunately they approved Matt's check for a certain amount but then didn't pay it all, but since they approved it we already went grocery shopping. The bills are already late.  :leaving: The church would give us money but they're so poor we don't want to ask.

Edited by Slache

Go to a local church that is large, not your church.  Many times they have funds to help folks in the community.  

Call the people you owe money and cry and tell them you are pregnant, with two young kids and cannot pay because of your husband's employer's mishap.  Electric companies often have some help for folks.  And they won't turn off your power right away.  They will send you a notice first.

Call every local church and ask for help or who you should call for help.

• Like 5

Yeah, I'd go to the rich church. We all know you're only doing this for your kids. Also, call the utilities now and explain what happened and ask them to put a note on your record. Tell them you are hoping for the check tomorrow but if it doesn't you're applying everywhere for emergency funds. Calling when late at least should get you a tiny bit of forbearance before anything is turned off. Maybe it's just me, but calling and saying, "I am so sorry--I have made a mistake and this is what is happening, here is my plan, please help me out with patience for x days" and then calling on that day, has never had a worse consequence than just waiting.

• Like 3

I just sat for 15 minutes waiting for Excel to respond.  I'm on my work laptop.  Turns out the internet briefly disconnected, but couldn't automatically reconnect, because I just changed my password having received a notification that it was set to expire.  ^&^$%^$.  Wasted time. 

• Like 4

Dd16 says, "Sick!" and would like to know what they are doing so she can replicate it. I think.

They got a science experiment kit and instead of using the glow in the dark dye for the putty, they spread most of it on themselves. 

• Like 8

Pizza tonight. I've spent most of the day resting and keeping one eye on the kitten, who is feeling that she should be able to do more than she should do. Added 5,000 words to my NaNo novel, bringing my total to just over 68,000. If I can write another 2,000 I'll meet my goal of 70,000.

• Like 9

I stayed home. I took a nap. Then I paid bills. We're $400 short because of Matt's check. Were do I get $400 for 2 weeks? I've never done this before. I heard those check casing places are gone. Is that true?

#imisshavingmoneyinsavings

Slash, my parents were business owners and employers. I am about as pro-business and as conservative as a human being can get.  I am anti-regulation and vehemently anti-bureaucracy.  So with that background in mind:  I think you should report them.  If they shorted Matt, they needed to fix it IMMEDIATELY.  You shouldn't have to wait.  You shouldn't face not being able to pay for budgeted bills. You should be able to call someone who can cut you a check. Period.  Here's the link for the Oregon Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.  And, BTW, most of those bureaucracies frown nastily (and fine the sh*t out of) retaliators.

Or, in the alternative, we could load up the elephants and I could bring the bazooka.  But the bureaucrats are probably meaner.

• Like 5

Pizza tonight. I've spent most of the day resting and keeping one eye on the kitten, who is feeling that she should be able to do more than she should do. Added 5,000 words to my NaNo novel, bringing my total to just over 68,000. If I can write another 2,000 I'll meet my goal of 70,000.

DD is in her room typing furiously, desperate to make her (much lower) goal.  As I told her,

YOU GO, GIRL!!!!

• Like 6

Slash, my parents were business owners and employers. I am about as pro-business and as conservative as a human being can get.  I am anti-regulation and vehemently anti-bureaucracy.  So with that background in mind:  I think you should report them.  If they shorted Matt, they needed to fix it IMMEDIATELY.  You shouldn't have to wait.  You shouldn't face not being able to pay for budgeted bills. You should be able to call someone who can cut you a check. Period.  Here's the link for the Oregon Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.  And, BTW, most of those bureaucracies frown nastily (and fine the sh*t out of) retaliators.

Or, in the alternative, we could load up the elephants and I could bring the bazooka.  But the bureaucrats are probably meaner.

And report the discrimination stuff too. Even if Mr. Cambodian won't do it himself.

• Like 5

Bah humbug.

(and I'm in a slightly better mood than I was in this morning)

It is due to my texting.

I just told dd16 that in 3 weeks she is going to have a major historical paper due. Not sure what it would be about, yet, but what was she studying? Her answer, "The...war?...period..."

There is more than one.

Geometry project (tesselation) due tomorrow.  This one is not hard and is worth an entire test grade.  Jann will give feedback if you don't know that you are doing it correctly.

• Like 2

I got a grab bag of end of date produce from the grocery store.  In them was a ton of habanero peppers which I mistakenly thought were sweet peppers.  I cut them up and got the juice in some scrapes on my finger.  Then I licked it when it burned.  Because I hate myself. :huh:

I think my finger is burning off now.

• Like 2

I am all sugared out. During our family advent time this afternoon (lighting the Advent candle, etc.) I had chocolate covered caramel corn, a dark chocolate-filled crispy thingy, and hot chocolate with whipped cream.

Yet, I know there is still a piece of pumpkin pie in the fridge. I suspect it will be calling me when I get home from taking ds back to the university.

• Like 1

Me, too!  I sweeten mine with honey and vanilla.  That's the way I learned when I was a waitress.  How do you all make yours?

Vanilla and powdered sugar here.  Or vanilla and maple syrup (the real stuff-Grade B, because it's richer tasting.)  Oooo, but the honey idea!  We looooooooove us some local honey!  Hmm, I'm thinking we might need to try that tonight...

• Like 3