• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Okay, Dr. ITT, diagnose this:

I'm 39 and have suddenly started having hot flashes. About 6-12 times a day (including waking me at night).

What is your blood sugar like? When mine is cycling rapidly up and down my body temperature swings wildly. Not saying that's it, but it's something to consider. (On my phone. Sorry if this is boogered up.)

Is this just symptoms of early menopause, or should I try to get my thyroid checked? I'm concerned I'll potentially waste a $20 copay plus my hubby's time off to watch the kids, only to have the doctor say, "Honey, you're OLD. Of course it's menopause. Go home."

Be brutally honest, dear friends.

{Never mind. Just lie and tell me of course it isn't menopause because after all I'm a hot babe barely out of my twenties and still have decades of child-bearing years ahead of me.}

I'm 39 and have suddenly started having hot flashes. About 6-12 times a day (including waking me at night).

What is your blood sugar like? When mine is cycling rapidly up and down my body temperature swings wildly. Not saying that's it, but it's something to consider. (On my phone. Sorry if this is boogered up.)

Is this just symptoms of early menopause, or should I try to get my thyroid checked? I'm concerned I'll potentially waste a $20 copay plus my hubby's time off to watch the kids, only to have the doctor say, "Honey, you're OLD. Of course it's menopause. Go home."

{Never mind. Just lie and tell me of course it isn't menopause because after all I'm a hot babe barely out of my twenties and still have decades of child-bearing years ahead of me.}

Fixed that for ya. JojosMom comment in red.

• Like 3

THAT I've never considered.  But I have always reacted to blood sugar variations (esp. when pregnant).  Usually just mild lightheadedness/weakness.  Hmmmmm.  Food for thought.   All of these hot flashes kind of coincided with my period finally returning a couple of months ago.  So that's a factor too.

I'm grasping, probably.  But I really dread 10 more years of perimenopause!  I'm like you, tex.  Not interested in hormone therapy unless I really have to. Maybe I'll try going no-sugar/low-sugar for a week, and see what comes of it.  

• Like 2

Peromenopause. Sorry.

Yeah.   Hmph.  

Somehow any other cause of it sounds better than that.  

(Which is ridiculous, I know.  But I confess I am a shallow person, folks.  Other stuff can be treated.  Old cannot. Not that I even mind old, per se.  But by golly it is dang HOT in this old skin.)

• Like 2

I have no sympathy for you. Only toy envy.

(though I will thank you yet again for the c-rods I get to play with now)

I got good stuffs. CC stuff, a cloth map that my little man picked out, RightStart games, the big yellow drawing book, building thinking skills k-1, and womans randomly asked for a montessori letter book so she got that.

Tomorrow I'm going to "raising thinking children in an electronic world", "how my parents kept my heart", and something about making the purpose of your homeschool to glorify God. I'm also skipping a session to chill with Wanda (SWR) cuz she's awesome sauce.

• Like 1

Yeah.   Hmph.  

(Which is ridiculous, I know.  But I confess I am a shallow person, folks.  Other stuff can be treated.  Old cannot. Not that I even mind old, per se.  But by golly it is dang HOT in this old skin.)

Perimenopause does not have to involve hot flashes.  I would look at things like Oil of primrose and other non-hormonal supplements.  

• Like 1

Old doesn't need to be treated. Old is a mindset. I'm a decade older than you and play tennis with "old" men and women 1 and 2 decades older than me several times a week. You would never believe that many of these people are the age they are simply by the way they look, act and move. 

I would go see your doctor about this sudden onset of so many hot flashes in a day/night. I've had the odd hot flash at night, but never as frequent as you're experiencing. Ground flax in my cereal has been wonderful in eliminating any hot flashes I've had. My other symptoms (sensitivity to caffeine, dramatic mood swings), are fairly infrequent, too. 

• Like 5

Old doesn't need to be treated. Old is a mindset. I'm a decade older than you and play tennis with "old" men and women 1 and 2 decades older than me several times a week. You would never believe that many of these people are the age they are simply by the way they look, act and move.

I would go see your doctor about this sudden onset of so many hot flashes in a day/night. I've had the odd hot flash at night, but never as frequent as you're experiencing. Ground flax in my cereal has been wonderful in eliminating any hot flashes I've had. My other symptoms (sensitivity to caffeine, dramatic mood swings), are fairly infrequent, too.

See, this is why she's allowed to hooya.

• Like 2

9571CA89-5C3D-4045-90E0-8810C90F88BB_zps

At least you got a cute new kitty. My kids picked up a stray, and while it is a pleasant and playful teenage kitty, it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It's white with a tabby striped tail, an odd shaped triangular head and blue eyes that are too close to each other. I'd take a picture, but it's too much trouble!

I am kind of hoping though that some one who knows cats will see it and say, "wow, that's a rare ---- type of cat. She's pretty special." Which might make up for her being so ugly. The kids love her though. Her name is Snowflake and I need to take her to the vet before she multiplies.

• Like 6

I am currently on strike regarding the children's education.  

It's summer holidays now. Planning and such can wait a month or two. I'm zoning out.

I also love the fact that we can kind of hide out here and chat without some of the feather ruffling that sometimes goes on in the chat threads. ;) Say no more...

• Like 6

At least you got a cute new kitty. My kids picked up a stray, and while it is a pleasant and playful teenage kitty, it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It's white with a tabby striped tail, an odd shaped triangular head and blue eyes that are too close to each other. I'd take a picture, but it's too much trouble!

I am kind of hoping though that some one who knows cats will see it and say, "wow, that's a rare ---- type of cat. She's pretty special." Which might make up for her being so ugly. The kids love her though. Her name is Snowflake and I need to take her to the vet before she multiplies.

Don't you just love how kids can love without reserve and without judging lookds? That just sounds awesome. Our cats may look pretty cute, but one of them doesn't act cute anymore and it's getting seriously troublesome.  I'd trade you unique-looks and well behaved for cute and damaging anyday.

• Like 2

I want a kitten. Every time I get to play with one (er...treat one) I want to take it home.

But my household already contains five cats, all are over ten, three with chronic medical conditions, and they would fall over dead at the sight of a spring-tailed kitten! So I will just have to content myself with Marley pictures and playing with every kitten I see.

• Like 6

Don't you just love how kids can love without reserve and without judging lookds? That just sounds awesome. Our cats may look pretty cute, but one of them doesn't act cute anymore and it's getting seriously troublesome. I'd trade you unique-looks and well behaved for cute and damaging anyday.

I know, they really do. Once we were over at my cousin's house and they had a litter of kittens and dd bonded with the smallest, ugliest one. I don't think it was intentional, either. That's just the one she liked!
  • Like 3

True confession:  I think kittens are cute, but I've not wanted one in a long time.  I prefer sedate adult cats.  But Marley is the grandbaby I never had (yet).  <sob>

Little dd and I are going to church kids' camp Wed-Sat of next week, and I am concerned that Marley will not get the princess-like care she deserves  (i.e. constant attention)

• Like 6

True confession:  I think kittens are cute, but I've not wanted one in a long time.  I prefer sedate adult cats.  But Marley is the grandbaby I never had (yet).  <sob>

Little dd and I are going to church kids' camp Wed-Sat of next week, and I am concerned that Marley will not get the princess-like care she deserves  (i.e. constant attention)

Send him over here.  I'll kitty sit your grandbaby.  

• Like 2

I want a kitten. Every time I get to play with one (er...treat one) I want to take it home.

But my household already contains five cats, all are over ten, three with chronic medical conditions, and they would fall over dead at the sight of a spring-tailed kitten! So I will just have to content myself with Marley pictures and playing with every kitten I see.

We want one too. It's time that we get one so that the older can train it to help her catch mice.

ET fix the wrong "too".

• Like 1

My last cat to actually catch a mouse passed on two years ago. It was her lone claim to fame. 

The others have never been into mousing for sport or food. :laugh: Even the chickens are not into mice. I end up relying on the rat snakes for rodent control.

• Like 3

Everyone here is pregnant, breastfeeding, or frumpy. I guess I must be frumpy then.

Are two of the above allowed?  I'm b and c.  And d. (grumpy.)

But I got all 6 yards of hemlock mulch out of the driveway, finally.     Go me!  Now to order about 6 yards of playground mulch.

(We have crazy enormous square footage of mulch landscaping, put in by the previous owners.  And church friends gave us their beautiful old swingset so we're mulching a play area for the kids, too.  A lot of shoveling, but worth it. Mulch is like frosting on a cake.  Covers over a multitude of sins weeds.)

• Like 2

My last cat to actually catch a mouse passed on two years ago. It was her lone claim to fame. 

The others have never been into mousing for sport or food. :laugh: Even the chickens are not into mice. I end up relying on the rat snakes for rodent control.

Our cat often catches mice (when available. It's not like we're infested, but we do live in county). But, she likes to play with them until they die, which is inhumane. I tell dh to put the things out of their misery. A couple of times, she's accidentally let it go - once in my room!  :glare:  I was not happy.

• Like 7

Our cat often catches mice (when available. It's not like we're infested, but we do live in county). But, she likes to play with them until they die, which is inhumane. I tell dh to put the things out of their misery. A couple of times, she's accidentally let it go - once in my room!  :glare:  I was not happy.

DH frantically chased one around the bedroom at 2 am once.  He broke so much stuff.  I have no idea where the mouse escaped to.  Her Majesty The Cat looked up from her nest in her blankey at the foot of the bed and said, "Could you keep it down?  Trying to sleep here."

The barn kitties terminate their toys, thankfully.

• Like 10

My beloved Agatha (may she rest in peace) was a great  hunter.  She was especially renowned as a moler.  She used to have a wild rabbit friend.  They would sit side by side on the front lawn every morning.  Until one morning we came out to see a rabbit carcass on the front step.  The neighbors thought we were ghoulish because we then had a biology lesson.  "Look kids, the spleen!"  

• Like 9

My beloved Agatha (may she rest in peace) was a great  hunter.  She was especially renowned as a moler.  She used to have a wild rabbit friend.  They would sit side by side on the front lawn ever morning.  Until one morning we came out to see a rabbit carcass on the front step.  The neighbors thought we were ghoulish because we then had a biology lesson.  "Look kids, the spleen!"  

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Our cat often catches mice (when available. It's not like we're infested, but we do live in county). But, she likes to play with them until they die, which is inhumane. I tell dh to put the things out of their misery. A couple of times, she's accidentally let it go - once in my room! :glare: I was not happy.

Occasionally our cat catches a mouse, but we have one cat who is known to have brought down a June bug in mid-air!
  • Like 4

Our air conditioner went out, and I have come here to complain.  We live in northern Florida.  Whine and fuss.  However, we rent, and they will fix it (Monday).  Also, we have a small window unit in the sunroom which is working hard to cool things down for the evening. 

Somebody get JojosMom a drink.

• Like 6

I think we got into the low to mid 90's today. After the tropical storm blew threw. So very, very unpleasant. Made worse by the most recent clouds of deer flies, horseflies and mosquitoes that follow us when we go out to walk dogs, tend to chickens or go to get the mail. They even chase the truck up the driveway looking for their next meal. :zombiechase: Like that. 

(I haven't had an opportunity to use the zombie-chase yet!)

ETA: You've got to be kidding me. Somebody, help! Is it Booyah with an "h"? 

This is the thread that never ends, and so forth...

ETA: Booya. Ehem.

• Like 8

Our air conditioner went out, and I have come here to complain.  We live in northern Florida.  Whine and fuss.  However, we rent, and they will fix it (Monday).  Also, we have a small window unit in the sunroom which is working hard to cool things down for the evening. 

Somebody get JojosMom a drink.

You are a fabulous, discerning person.

• Like 5

I think we got into the low to mid 90's today. After the tropical storm blew threw. So very, very unpleasant. Made worse by the most recent clouds of deer flies, horseflies and mosquitoes that follow us when we go out to walk dogs, tend to chickens or go to get the mail. They even chase the truck up the driveway looking for their next meal. :zombiechase: Like that. 

(I haven't had an opportunity to use the zombie-chase yet!)

ETA: You've got to be kidding me. Somebody, help! Is it Booyah with an "h"? 

This is the thread that never ends, and so forth...

It has been explained (for the-ahem- umpteenth time) that the Original Booya Babeâ„¢ has decreed the proper spelling to be "Booya."  Any exceptions must be obtained from the OBB herself.

You're welcome.

(Nice zombie btw.)

• Like 3