Menu

Help me use 2 lbs "ready to use" butternut squash

momee

Well, I have a good recipe for roasted squash pasta. It also calls for about a head of roasted garlic.  Let me know if you want the recipe. My kids, even my PIA eater liked it. But, he recently discovered that sweet potato is, well, sweet, so he eats them. I sort of make it sound like winter squash is the exact same thing and got him to try the butternut and it actually worked. It never has before though.

I also have one for a winter squash risotto, but it calls for a pressure cooker.

• Like 1

If it is pureed, add some ginger and maple syrup (or whatever flavors speak to your crowd)

Here's my favorite recipe:

2lbs cubed butternut

¼ c. Butter

1t minded fresh rosemary (I always sub. dried)

Steam squash until just tender.

Melt butter in large skillet, continue to cook until brown and aromatic, about 2 min.

Add squash and rosemary, and toss until heated through, about 3 min.

Season with salt and pepper.

Yum!

Enchiladas

Muffins (puréed)

Stir fry

Curry

Risotto

Roasted

Chili

Burritoes

Tacos (puréed or cubed)

Slow cook with cinnamon

Mashed

On top of salads

We eat tons of squash, pumpkin and sweet potatoes. They are pretty interchangeable. About the only way we don't eat them is on top of breakfast cereal. ;)

DS eats pumpkin purée right out of the can.

I roast it with salt and pepper then puree in the food processor or blender. Put it in a sauce pan then add chicken stock, cream or 1/2 & 1/2 until soup consistancy. I use a little nutmeg, ground ginger and more salt and pepper to taste.  Depending on mood I will change the spices. I have used curry powder or rosemary and sage etc. 

Budget Bytes has a sweet potato and chorizo enchilada recipe. We found--for us--it was too much chorizo. But we did like the combination of flavors. The second time I made it I used only 1/3 of the chorizo and subbed chicken for the rest.

ETA: meaning you could sub your squash for the sweet potato

ETA2: if you're not sick of soup (or maybe for another day) I make a soup with chicken stock, squash, diced red pepper, corn, black beans. Season with salt, pepper, thyme.

My kids like squash soup, so not sure why yours wouldn't.  Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches on the side.

Or make pumpkin chili, but substitute the squash in place of the pumpkin:

Pumpkin Chili

Ingredients:

1-2 lb ground beef

1 large onion diced

1 pepper diced

2-4 cloves garlic minced

1 can each black, kidney, and pinto beans

1 can tomato sauce

1 can diced tomatoes with juice

16 oz pumpkin diced

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Tbsp cumin

1 Tbsp cinnamon

1 ½  Tbsp chili powder

1 tsp salt

½ tsp cayenne pepper

½ tsp black pepper

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cloves

Directions:

1. Saute vegetables. 
  2. Brown beef. 
  3. Add pumpkin, tomatoes, and spices. 

Simmer for 1-2 hours

Well, I have a good recipe for roasted squash pasta. It also calls for about a head of roasted garlic.  Let me know if you want the recipe. My kids, even my PIA eater liked it. But, he recently discovered that sweet potato is, well, sweet, so he eats them. I sort of make it sound like winter squash is the exact same thing and got him to try the butternut and it actually worked. It never has before though.

I also have one for a winter squash risotto, but it calls for a pressure cooker.

I'm interested!