Menu

What do you do with others to keep your mind sharp?

Hoot

For the past year I have watched my grandmother's rapid decline into Alzheimer's induced dementia.  It is scary and sad.  It is clear that things like diet, exercise, and mental stimulation help to keep one sharp.  I like to read, take Coursera classes and other such independent and intellectual pursuits.  However, there is strong evidence that engaging in a variety of group activities is significantly beneficial as well.  That is where I'm stumped.  Being shy, quiet, and extremely introverted, I spend exactly zero hours a week purposely engaging with others outside of work and family life.  It sounds pathetic to most people, but I have no friends.  I've always been okay with that and really seen very little need for them.  

Seeing what my grandmother is experiencing; however, is making me realize that I need to break out of my comfort zone and engage with others in meaningful ways if for no other reason than the long-term health of my brain.  

So what kind of activities with others do you engage in?             

My mother never slipped into dementia though she had a family history of it.  She was also extremely introverted.

She credited her brain health to doing the daily crossword puzzle, listening to baseball games on the radio and keeping track of scores, etc., reading the newspaper, and eating lots of cabbage and oranges.   She may or may not have gotten all that right.  She died of congestive heart failure at 85 1/2.  She lived in an independent senior living center and ate at least one meal each day with people, but that was the extent of her socializing.   She probably did some type of calisthenics but didn't get a lot of exercise once the doctor suggested she quit bowling because of her heart. '

ETA: Not what you asked, I know.   I could see myself living the same way she did (assuming I outlive my husband).  I might join a book club, and continue my Latin studies even after my kids are done with it (thought I might not keep that up through my 80's!). 

I will get more involved in our family business as our kids gets older and more independent. As far as actual mental decline, I think a great diet including lots of coconut oil will help. It's not much in my genes though I do feel my brain is going, but I think that's the fatigue talking. :-/

Other than that, our minds are supposed to be sharp??? ;) Ugh.

Working on an ever-changing business, traveling, co-managing a non-profit, practicing TaeKwonDo.  And some of what I do at Sunday School is intellectual.

I have to admit that I don't do as much as I used to, partly because I have less tolerance for the stress.  I don't want to get fired up.  I don't want too many duties hanging over my head.  I wonder if this is related to my getting older.  Though it started around the time I became a mom, so I've been hoping it was just the temporary brain suck that is motherhood.  Or, now, it could be Mental Pause.

I hope to do more as my kids get older and I (hopefully) get better organized at work.  Time will tell.

Not exactly what you asked, but I also have done / do / hope to resume some solitary things to keep my mind sharp.  Studying a number of foreign languages, reading great books, studying world religions / philosophies, playing the piano, etc.

I'm an extreme introvert, so I don't know how much my social interactions are likely to increase.

how about volunteering somewhere that is related to your interests?

That was actually my first thought.  As a teen, I used to volunteer at a local hospital in the PCU and I loved it.  I'm considering the possibility of doing that again.

The biggest bang for the effort are physical tasks. Actually moving around is the biggest brain builder. That said to be honest I don't do anything much these days--I'm balancing a lot of work right now. I'd love to join a trail maintenance group because it combines my love for the outdoors, my desire for service, and also meeting people. I find a lot of really interesting people work on the trails.

Well, if you are interacting with others at work and at home with family members, I'd say you are doing okay. I'm guessing the declines happen when elderly people live alone or have limited interactions with others. I'd say to work on building strong relationships with your family and maybe a few friends now and then work to maintain them as time goes on.

If you really want to branch out to meet others, I'd start with a current interest or hobby and find a group you can join. Libraries often have book clubs, for instance, that you could join without knowing someone personally in advance. If you like to sing, find a community choir. If you are a church-goer, join a Bible study or Sunday school class. As an extreme introvert (I am on myself), you'll probably need to decide to stick with it even if relationships are slow to form. Give it some time.

I think it is great and pro-active that you are working now to decrease your chances of developing Alzheimer's. It runs in my family as well.

I'm a nerd so I attend a bi-weekly board gaming night at a local coffee house.  Always learning something new or thinking through strategy.  Love the mix of new and classic games as well as the variety of people.  I also have gotten into costuming and have been working with other people on that learning new skills and coordinating some local events.

My mother-in-law is 66 and she works, has a group she hikes with, is on the board of a local art museum, has dinner parties, and does pilates.  This is all in a small town that she moved to less than 2 years ago where she didn't know anyone.  

I sing in a choir. 

I'm a nerd so I attend a bi-weekly board gaming night at a local coffee house.  Always learning something new or thinking through strategy.  Love the mix of new and classic games as well as the variety of people.  I also have gotten into costuming and have been working with other people on that learning new skills and coordinating some local events.

My mother-in-law is 66 and she works, has a group she hikes with, is on the board of a local art museum, has dinner parties, and does pilates.  This is all in a small town that she moved to less than 2 years ago where she didn't know anyone.  

That sounds like so much fun!!

I'm 31, but as a future mathematician (I'm in grad school, so I wouldn't give myself the title yet), I hope to continue in the tradition of problem collaboration well into my dotage. 

I like the way you talk.  It sounds really smart.  I think we should hang out, and then my brain would be smart like yours!

(Also, you are really cute!) 

Plus, you are a future mathematician, and I am not and will never be so you sound like a useful person to have around.

I can say all of these things because I am old enough to be your mother.  ;)  (I would have been a teen mom but still...)

Slightly more on topic:  I have really enjoyed the camaraderie of volunteering at the animal shelter.  The people there are quirky, nice and fun.  We all have a common cause.  And who doesn't like petting cats and loving on puppies.  (I have done plenty of dirty work, too, but there is a lot of fun animal contact.)  ETA:  It is also a pretty physical task.

So OP, I think you should find an interest and volunteer.  It is good for the heart, soul, brain, and body.