Menu

Have we talked about Alecia Pennington?

Joanne

Guest submarines

Here is information on how to get a delayed birth certificate, which she was told she needed: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/secondary-evidence.html

I quote from the article: 

If she cannot get the birth attendant to sign or an affidavit from the parents, she is rather out of luck. 

Scrolling further down, in all cases people are told that they MUST have someone who has personal knowledge of their birth to sign. An older blood relative OR anyone else who has personal knowledge of the birth is required.

You'd think her grandparents would qualify?

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well she says she has no records, but on her facebook page she lists a number of items she has, including medical / orthodontist records, which seem to belie her statement (on the video) that she has "no medical records."

About school records ... would the family have needed to file something with the state government stating that she was being homeschooled?

She does have other records as well.  On the first review she was told that they are not enough, but then her next step was apparently to go to the federal politicians and raise a stink, which is about the very last thing I would have done in her situation.

Really? I can just file online and get a social security card without having to provide any proof of who I am? Like I could give a name and birthdate and just get a social security number?

It seems like it should be harder than that....

First, she gets the birth certificate. I already posted the link showing she needs nothing else for it but a small fee. She can go in in person or order online. I was shocked when I was picking up birth certificates for my children at how many people who can just get one even when they are not the child.  No ID needed to get the voter registration card...  http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/550-2/

Well she says she has no records, but on her facebook page she lists a number of items she has, including medical / orthodontist records, which seem to belie her statement (on the video) that she has "no medical records."

About school records ... would the family have needed to file something with the state government stating that she was being homeschooled?

She does have other records as well. On the first review she was told that they are not enough, but then her next step was apparently to go to the federal politicians and raise a stink, which is about the very last thing I would have done in her situation.

She probably wants to make the public aware that this is a thing so it doesn't happen to anyone else. I didn't know about it before reading all this. Wanting to raise public awareness about stuff doesn't mean someone has nefarious motives.

First, she gets the birth certificate. I already posted the link showing she needs nothing else for it but a small fee. She can go in in person or order online. I was shocked when I was picking up birth certificates for my children at how many people who can just get one even when they are not the child. No ID needed to get the voter registration card... http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/550-2/

She can't get the birth certificate because it doesn't exist!

First, she gets the birth certificate. I already posted the link showing she needs nothing else for it but a small fee. She can go in in person or order online. I was shocked when I was picking up birth certificates for my children at how many people who can just get one even when they are not the child. No ID needed to get the voter registration card... http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/550-2/

Do you think original birth certificates just shoot out the mom's vag with the baby or something?

First, she gets the birth certificate. I already posted the link showing she needs nothing else for it but a small fee. She can go in in person or order online. I was shocked when I was picking up birth certificates for my children at how many people who can just get one even when they are not the child.  No ID needed to get the voter registration card...  http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/550-2/

There is no record of her birth, though. There is no birth certificate for her to pick up. She has already requested it and been informed no such record for her exists.

You did not.

You showed that it was easy to get a copy if one was filed in the first place.

If one was never filed in the first place, it is not easy. 

She probably wants to make the public aware that this is a thing so it doesn't happen to anyone else. I didn't know about it before reading all this. Wanting to raise public awareness about stuff doesn't mean someone has nefarious motives.

It doesn't take too many brain cells to know that you need a SSN to get a job, and you need a birth certificate to get a SSN.  I don't think a PSA of this nature is necessary.

The social security card and birth certificate can both be obtained online with no ID.

IF she has a social security card, she does not need to file for American citizenship. 

I'm sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about.

You can order COPIES of birth certificates and social security cards, providing that the birth certificate exists to begin with and providing that the person already has been issued a SSN — neither of which are true in this case.

You cannot obtain an ORIGINAL birth certificate, or request a SSN, if you have no proof of your birth or citizenship. And you do indeed need to provide evidence of citizenship if you want your SSN issued as a citizen. My adopted daughter was first issued a SSN as a resident alien for tax purposes, and I had to provide proof of citizenship, in the form of a passport, in order to get that changed.

If it's true that her siblings have birth certificates, maybe it really was a simple oversight in her case.

I wonder why the midwife isn't cooperating.

Those two facts together make me want a DNA test to prove this kid really is the daughter of the mom.

It doesn't take too many brain cells to know that you need a SSN to get a job, and you need a birth certificate to get a SSN. I don't think a PSA of this nature is necessary.

Not everyone realizes that there are parents who don't file and withhold the means to do so as a way to control adult children, though.

I'm sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about.

You can order COPIES of birth certificates and social security cards, providing that the birth certificate exists to begin with and providing that the person already has been issue a SSN — neither of which are true in this case.

You cannot obtain an ORIGINAL birth certificate, or request a SSN, if you have no proof of your birth or citizenship. And you do indeed need to provide evidence of citizenship if you want your SSN issued as a citizen. My adopted daughter was first issued a SSN as a resident alien for tax purposes, and I had to provide proof of citizenship, in the form of a passport, in order to get that changed.

Her parents say it exists. The mere fact that the older kids are enrolled in college says theirs exists. The girl has not even clarified any proof that they do not exist. IF the girl tried to get a birth certificate and it did not exist, she would at least have a letter from the state saying it does not exist. Where is that letter? Everything from the girl is the girl's word. The parents have presented more proof than her.

Guest submarines

It doesn't take too many brain cells to know that you need a SSN to get a job, and you need a birth certificate to get a SSN.  I don't think a PSA of this nature is necessary.

I think you are misreading the nature of the PSA. Were you aware that young Christian women are held hostage by their parents? And the extent of the issue?

And that's why I think that it is a well orchestrated campaign, not just one young woman's plea for help.

One thing for sure--this is one masterfully done campaign, starting from the header of her FB page to a carefully edited video.

Yet she waited four months after moving out and her parents doing nothing to help her. I'm glad there are people helping her make it known. I had no idea this happened that often.

If it's true that her siblings have birth certificates, maybe it really was a simple oversight in her case.

I wonder why the midwife isn't cooperating.

Those two facts together make me want a DNA test to prove this kid really is the daughter of the mom.

I just think the girl's story has so many holes in it, that there needs to be more proof from the girl before I would buy this story. It all comes down to...was there an original birth certificate. 

Not everyone realizes that there are parents who don't file and withhold the means to do so as a way to control adult children, though.

Yeah, because that hardly ever happens.  And anyway, the people who'd have to act to change this would be those objectionable parents.

Again, no, I'm not buying the PSA argument.

IIRC from filling out the forms for the kids it did require someone whom had been there and it had to be notarized. It wasn't something we just did online, not in the least. Even obtaining the forms was hard, they don't even have them here at the local office, you have to call the state office and it has to be filled out perfectly, if you mess up anything you have to call and have them re-send forms, restarting the process. I cannot imagine what is involved if it is so after the fact as there is a lot of questions on the form that only a birth attendant or mom would know. Like I said it was a total PITB. 

Joules, on 12 Feb 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:Joules, on 12 Feb 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:Joules, on 12 Feb 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

One of the links in the article you posted may shed some light on the home environment (if it is true).  The mom posted about her daughter leaving. She deleted the post, but it was archived:

https://homeschoolersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/the-hardest-post-i-ever-wrote-the-pennington-point.pdf

It seems very odd how surprised and devastated she was that her 18yo grew up and moved out.  I mean I'll be sad when mine leaves the nest (OK, really sad), but I don't expect to be feeling betrayed.  Isn't growing up what they are supposed to do?

cue the violins.  gag.

she sounds like a mother with narcisstic personality disorder.  it's all. about. her.

eta: my daughters have left home.  one son has left home.  I am not sad, I'm enjoying watching them being ADULTS.  that was the entire point of raising them . . . . . .

Her parents say it exists. The mere fact that the older kids are enrolled in college says theirs exists. The girl has not even clarified any proof that they do not exist. IF the girl tried to get a birth certificate and it did not exist, she would at least have a letter from the state saying it does not exist. Where is that letter? Everything from the girl is the girl's word. The parents have presented more proof than her.

Actually the parents have said they only think one exists but admit they've never seen it.

ETA: In the same video the mom states they've been going through boxes to find something to help her but have came up with nothing. How is it even possible to have nothing in your home to help your daughter prove who she is? I call BS.

Elisabet1, on 12 Feb 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:Elisabet1, on 12 Feb 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

I just think the girl's story has so many holes in it, that there needs to be more proof from the girl before I would buy this story. It all comes down to...was there an original birth certificate. 

IF there was a birth certificate actually filed with the state (it goes to the state, not the county) - she would be able to get it from the state WITHOUT any help from her parents.  all she'd need is her name, her parents names, date of birth etc.  she has not been able to do so - which bolsters the case her parents NEVER FILED ONE.

http://news.yahoo.com/alecia-pennington-cant-prove-shes-american-even-exists-150312826.html

Father hasn't filed taxes since before the girl was born. Mother says midwives told them they had to file a birth certificate, but she does not say she filed one. She seems to shift it back to blame the midwives? Or the magical vag elves Mergath mentioned fell down on their jobs, lol.

If we knew what county the girl was born in, we could look it up ourselves. That tax link I included to show the parents house and tax payments, the house is not as old as the girl, so they could not have lived there when she was born.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept she doesn't have a birth certificate on file?  You have to be trolling at this point.

I also think her name changes are strange, especially given her situation.  It might be part of the reason she's having trouble getting a bc now.

My kids have been through a couple of name changes and have 3 different birth certificates in 2 different countries.  I was very careful to do things in a certain order so the process at each level would be as smooth as possible.  Naturally it is confusing if a person named Alecia Pennington is trying to get her first documents when her birth name was Faith Somethingelse.

Actually the parents have said they only think one exists but admit they've never seen it.

When you send in for a birth certificate part of that is where you want a copy sent. I'm calling shenanigans. If there was one she should be able to get a copy and calling the state office to ask about it wouldn't result in any paper proof. They either know it exists or not and just because they may have obtained one for the older ones doesn't mean they got one for her, for whatever reason. Parents treatment of their children isn't always equal, for various reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/alecia-pennington-cant-prove-shes-american-even-exists-150312826.html

Father hasn't filed taxes since before the girl was born. Mother says midwives told them they had to file a birth certificate, but she does not say she filed one. She seems to shift it back to blame the midwives? Or the magical vag elves Mergath mentioned fell down on their jobs, lol.

WTH! That article also says they have nine children undocumented.

I also think they need a mediator, and that the daughter AND the parents AND the grandparents should've gone that route instead of going the "public" route--not because it shouldn't be part of our awareness as a society, but because it's a hell of a lot more productive, and gets rid of that smarmy-looking apparent need for revenge on parents who you now believe raised you in a way that was wrong.

So I guess I'm saying I don't know who to believe or what the true motivations are on either side, and that's what's so hard about judging in these cases.

Yes to the above.  Once you've been through a young adult  child turning his/her back on you, it is very difficult to parse out or judge these kinds of things.   It isn't always a case of abuse or crazy parenting.  (although, sometimes it is!)

Also.  In all of this I keep thinking that the parents are making a huge mistake putting out youtube videos and blogging etc.   I think the daughter made a mistake going public as well, but she's 19 and maybe doesn't have very good foresight.  If there are older siblings who have managed to get drivers licenses, college educations, etc..   then I'm wondering why this daughter is being treated differently (if she is).

zoobie, on 12 Feb 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'm shocked!  SHOCKED! he hasn't filed taxes . . . .

saw that one coming . . . . . .

Yes to the above. Once you've been through a young adult child turning his/her back on you, it is very difficult to parse out or judge these kinds of things. It isn't always a case of abuse or crazy parenting. (although, sometimes it is!)

Also. In all of this I keep thinking that the parents are making a huge mistake putting out youtube videos and blogging etc. I think the daughter made a mistake going public as well, but she's 19 and maybe doesn't have very good foresight. If there are older siblings who have managed to get drivers licenses, college educations, etc.. then I'm wondering why this daughter is being treated differently (if she is).

BPD/NPD parents treat siblings VERY differently on purpose. It's all part of control and manipulation.

Not only have her parents NOT said that the birth certificate exists, her father explicitly said in his video that he thought it would be easier for Alecia to try to get a passport rather than to get a delayed birth certificate. He said that he helped her two siblings get drivers licenses, not birth certificates, and that he was aware of the procedures necessary for that. The mother has vaguely said that she thought maybe perhaps the midwife might have filed a birth certificate, but that she (the mother) doesn't have any records of it, and the midwife told Alecia she doesn't have any records either. The state of Texas confirmed that no birth record exists.

Guest submarines

The girl did a legal name change in November. How did she do that with no ID? How can you even do a legal name change if there was no legal name to begin with?

Interesting. A legal name change requires a lot of documentation. DH and I attempted this once, so that we could have the same last name, and we were refused on a technicality.

The Penningtons are not off the grid..right here..they have been paying property tax... http://propaccess.kerrcad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?prop_id=13614

And a person trying to be truly "off the grid" would not have a hugely public blog & homeschool speaking "ministry."  That's what doesn't add up in this story to me.  They clearly are NOT trying to avoid the government or hide their children.  Their children are on their blog for everyone to see.  It just doesn't add up.

Elisabet1, on 12 Feb 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Why has the girl had 2 different last names..as well as her parents? Now that is something to question.

Her parents and she used to go by Sublett. Now they go by Pennington.

reports are the father hasn't filed taxes.  changing names - even if not legally, would enable them to hide longer from the IRS.