Menu

From the Frugal Thread...you can use less detergent?

I do it all the time and my clothes are clean. I have read that it is actually better to use less than the recommended amount because it's easier for all of the detergent to truly get rinsed off your clothes. Detergent residue isn't good for your skin and it also causes the fabric to wear out more quickly.

I also use less than the recommended amount of automatic dishwasher detergent.

You can play around with the amounts to find one that works well for you. I start off using half and then I add a little more if necessary.

I don't use the full amount of detergent recommended on my detergent bottle & my clothes seem clean. I really think they recommend more than is necessary. Kinda like shampoo bottles recommending that you wash your hair 2xs. I don't know if there is a scientific way to measure how clean your clothes are with varying amounts of detergent though. They just look & smell clean to me.

Funny story. When DH moved to HK without the family (job move) he phoned me to say that the washer wasn't rinsing the soap out properly. He read me the instructions on the powder box, which said to put one 'g' of powder in the dispenser. I reasoned it couldn't be one gramme, but must be a misprint for..... who knows what. Anyway, he decided to start using a heaped teaspoon of powder per wash.

The whole family began spending time at his flat and I carried on using the teaspoon. It took us almost a year to get through a big box of powder. When I opened another one, there was a dispenser cup in it, with dosing lines marked - much more than a teaspoon.

So I asked him whether there had been a cup in the first box - apparently not. Then I finally worked out the key question to ask: how did he know that the soap wasn't washing out properly? Well, the front loader had suds caught in the front seal. Bingo! The classic front loader problem, implying nothing about whether the clothes themselves were sudsy.

So, for a whole year, we had used probably a quarter of the powder we were meant to. And the clothes (washed on cold) had come clean. We did use a stain spray on anything obvious, but that was it....

So I'm continuing the experiment: stain spray when there's an obvious stain; low amounts of powder. So far, so good.

Best wishes

Laura

It will depend on your water. In MI I used less than 1/2 the amount recommended. We had very soft water. Down here in FL, even with a water softener, I have to use just over 1/2 the recommended. It's really hard down here. It took me awhile to realize that I needed to add more soap down here, I thought it was the appliances! I had to play around for awhile to see how much I needed of everything. I also find I have to replay around with it if I switch brands of soap.

HTH

Melissa

If you use HE, you are supposed to using much less, because it is so concentrated.

Plus, now you are forced to buy for the new front loaders.

Jet

No, you don't have to buy that special concentrated detergent for a front loader. We've had our front loader more than two years and the only time I used the special stuff was when we had free coupons for it given to us by the store where we bought our washer. I asked the salesperson if we *had* to use that, and he said no, just use less of the regular detergent. I've never had any problems.

My washer is a front loader with a glass front. I could not believe how much soap was still in the clothes even after a double rinse. I now use about half what is recommended for a front loader and I still triple rinse just because the idea of soap in there squicks me out. :001_huh:

Jen