Menu

Exercise Thread ~ January 25th-31st

Negin

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<<Negin>>> I'm sorry you had a challenging day. You've been so encouraging to me. I hope things are better soon.

I snuck in another gym day yesterday. So last week I met my goal of three days at the gym and one fitness based family outing. I'm feeling much stronger already, which is motivation to keep going. I'm starting to pack more and more into my hour at the gym. :)

Negin, so sorry you are having difficult times. (((Hugs)))

I slept very poorly at the hotel Friday night. This weekend is turning into a wash. The basketball tourney became all time consuming. I did walk inside the museum. We got home very late last night and I have to man the nursery at church this morning so no skipping to work out. The 16 yo needs a ride to and from work and to GS and I've already baked two kinds of muffins for 19 yo who made a surprise trip home ( for groceries so it would seem). Working out just isn't in the picture unless I throw in some yoga tonight. Ah well, such is life. Have a lovely Sunday all.

Negin, I'm sorry you are having a difficult time.  I hope things are better for you soon.  

Today is a rest day, but yesterday I walked and did the Saturday workout on my DVD.  Then I stood around at the birthday party for one of DD's friends for two hours since she wanted me to stay instead of dropping her off.  Since apparently we are allowed to talk about food issues, I was proud of myself that I was able to politely decline the pizza and cake at the party.  We did have ice cream for lunch today.  Yes, for lunch.  We had coupons that expired today for the really good local ice cream shop, and both kids have had special activities in the last week that we would have liked to go out for a treat afterwards, but it was way past their bedtime both nights.  It seemed like a better way to use the calories if we just skipped lunch and went right for the ice cream.  We had a big platter of vegetables and hummus for our late afternoon snack, so I don't think the kids were too damaged.  

I'm rearranging my workouts for the week a bit because of scheduling conflicts, so tomorrow I will do the run that should be Tuesday, and skipping karate to go out to dinner for a library fundraiser.  I just need to be responsible and go to bed at a reasonable time tonight.  I had a few rough nights last week, and discovered that I cannot have real hot cocoa before bed if I want to sleep, so this week needs to be better.

Can I ask an exercise question, here?

I have been trying to be more deliberately active. I really like going for power walks/slow jogs (working my way up to running), but I usually have to go alone, which I don't like. It would be much more enjoyable with music, but I haven't found a convenient way to carry my iphone for music. If I hold it, I swing my arms too much and end up pulling out the headphones, and it bounces too much in my pockets, plus weighs my pants down. 

So, how do I carry my music, and is there such a thing as longer headphones/earbuds?

I have been trying to be more deliberately active. I really like going for power walks/slow jogs (working my way up to running), but I usually have to go alone, which I don't like. It would be much more enjoyable with music, but I haven't found a convenient way to carry my iphone for music. If I hold it, I swing my arms too much and end up pulling out the headphones, and it bounces too much in my pockets, plus weighs my pants down. 

So, how do I carry my music, and is there such a thing as longer headphones/earbuds?

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Armband-iPhone5-Touch-Black/dp/B00EEFXTIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422237401&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+arm+band

this is just one example. There are many of them.  Many.  I doubt you will need longer headphones if your phone is strapped to your arm. I've had no problem.

I don't listen to music when I'm running outside, but you can get arm band carriers for your iphone.  The friend that I meet up with for our annual half marathon wears one to keep her hands free and her music close.  I'm not sure of the brand, but larger sporting goods and running stores would carry them.

Love my arm band.  I run my earbuds  into my sleeve, down my side, and then back up the center of my sports bra.  Works great :)

Sunday is my rest day. 

I began something recently that really ramped up my lifting sessions and I love it.  Most of my rests between sets are now active rests. Rather than taking a 45 second rest, I am jumping rope, doing jump squats, etc between my sets.  Talk about an increase in sweat and heartrate...oh yea, that's what I'm talking about ;)

I used to love these before my husband lost them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZW273S-Waterproof-Swimming/dp/B00I05EG9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422244340&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+sports+mp3+player&pebp=1422244350127&peasin=B00I05EG9S

I just got a treadmill over the weekend.  I asked for one for Christmas, along with 1-2 small and more fun gifts.  Dh gave me GCs to pick what I wanted out, so I finally purchased, and we lugged the beast into the house and DH built it for me. I normally do not love working out on a treadmill, but as a HSer with young kids, it is nice to have the option to squeeze in a workout.  Going for a run only happens on the weekend most of the time, and i've been battling epicondylistis in my right elbow for a while, which has limited some of my lifting and cross training/circuit training options.  Gripping is pretty painful right now.

I did 35 mins of intervals walking and running the last two days after taking 5-6 weeks off in the last month.  In addition to workouts, I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a few 5-15 min bursts in during the day here and there just to up my activity level during the day.

Sunday- Rolling, weight lifting- I really pushed myself. One goal is 10 TGU's with 35 lbs kettle bells but yesterday I could only manage 3 before I had to drop down to 30 lbs, 30 minutes elliptical.  Later in the day a 2 mile walk with dh.

Monday- rolling, double MMA class if weather doesn't interfere.  

Here's a site with a lot of articles on strength work that I'm finding interesting.  Our kettle bell coach is a StrongFirst guy...

ok, so here is my weight rant. 

I am so, so beyond cutting out snacks or not bringing junk food into the house.  I have always struggled with my weight and about 10 years ago it got right up there. I am only 5', maybe 5'1" and my weight got up to 180...the same as when I was at my absolute most pregnant...only the 'baby' was 4.  And I only gained 20lb for my entire pregnancy so I was heavy before I got pregnant.

So, I was about to hit 180. I was miserable. I knew something had to change but I didn't know what. My mom is an exercise nut and is always ALWAYS harping on exercise so that is what I did. I started working out as best I could. I have always been active, but being home all day with 2 small kids made it difficult.  But I started walking, my mom gave me her old Nordic Track (a nice one) and I found Exercise TV (anyone remember that?). I don't have a TV but I would stream exercise TV videos on my old desktop computer and workout after the kids went to bed.  I worked hard but saw almost no weight loss. I was also trying to make better dietary choices but not in an organized fashion. After three months I saw maybe 3lbs of weight loss. I only had a 10% weight loss goal, nothing major.

So, I actually considered trying that pill you can buy OTC, can't remember the name. I knew it didn't do much but I thought maybe it would kickstart things.  I am also cheap, lol. I saw that people who take it can't eat more than 9 grams of fat at any one meal.  I figured it might be just as good as taking the medication. What if I just started counting calories and keeping track of what I ate?  That made a huge big change. I finally started to see the scale move. I was (I am) dedicated. I only ate salad when I went out to a restaurant (still do). Very limited sweets, limited alcohol.

My diet was the same almost every day:

egg whites and veggies for breakfasy

big bowl of steamed greens and beans or lentils or poached chicken or fish for lunch

dinner: pretty much the same thing.

My weight dropped to 135. Well, not dropped. More like ambled downwards at its own pace. But there was a consistent downwards drift.

I kept that weight for a couple years. I wanted it to get lower, I still was not considered to have a 'normal' BMI, but I was close.  I kept that weight for a couple years. I worked out more, I took up jogging, I refined my diet.  My weight didn't budge. People started to tell me to eat more because that might help. So, I loosened up my diet and BAM my weight went up 10lbs. It was fast, like I gained it in a month. All I did was eat a little bit more. Just a little bit.

So then I was at 142-147 for a while. I kept eating as cleanly as possible. I am not perfect but I am pretty darn good. I kept working out 4-6 days a week.

Now I've had another upward drift. It started hanging around 147-149...then 150.  Over the holidays it jumped to 155 and right now is hanging at 157. At that weight I am officially obese again.

And I am trying So Hard.  Yes, I have had my thyroid checked. Twice. I don't eat junk, I have alcohol socially and can go for weeks without any. I don't keep snack food in the house. I weight myself regularly. I weigh and measure my food almost obsessively. I have a food log. I have protein bars in case I have to leave the house and will miss a meal. All my meals are planned and accounted for. I am not an emotional eater. I don't overeat as a rule. I try very hard to eat to satiety and no more. If there is a food that I pick at or can't keep away from, it gets banned and doesn't come in the house. I am about to say goodbye to Crasins, lol.

I now have myself on approx 1,000 calories a day.  Before anyone says it's not enough, I am very short, small boned and almost 50.  I went to WebMD to calculate my calories and it put me at needing to have 1100 a day to lose 1lb a week.

I have tried the 'fast diet' for 3 months and didn't lose a pound. For a few months I tried higher fat (coconut oil in my coffee for breakfast etc) and didn't lose anything, in fact it went up.

I had a check up this month and mentioned it to the PA and I get the "Oh, what do you expect/you aren't eating enough/you prob eat more than you think/try harder". She checked my thyroid again and it is fine. My blood chemistry is fantastic, btw.

I am NOT lying about what I eat. It can't all be my age because I have friends who are older than my who need to lose a few pounds so they join weight watchers and it comes off. Heck, my MOM loses weight and she is 70. Why can she and I can't?

My weight just goes up. It never goes down.  Well, this summer it was lower in general, around 149 and I managed to get it to 146, but then it went right back up.  And now I am 10lbs heavier than that.

It is just so frustrating. I feel like I am doing everything right. It's not like I have to find a way to give up my secret chocolate addiction or if I just gave up soda. I eat none of that on a regular basis or even in a month. 

My clothes are getting too tight. I don't fit in my bathing suit anymore, there is no getting around that one. One pair of jeans that used to look so cute is now packed away because I can't button them.

What it going on? I feel like a failure. I am doing everything 'right' but nothing works. Why not?

What it going on? I feel like a failure. I am doing everything 'right' but nothing works. Why not?

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:

I wish I knew what to tell you. I wish I knew what to say. 

Not to take away from your situation, I suffer from easy weight gain also, except that my weight is much, much higher than yours and we're about the same height. I'm not nearly as disciplined as you are. I used to be. I want to be disciplined.  My problem is emotional eating and all the stress that I'm constantly surrounded by. I'm sad and frustrated since I know that this will be problem with me forever.

How is your waist measurement? Is it an ideal range? You know what the right weight is for you. I'd be happy to be anywhere under 150, because at that weight, I know that my waist would be good also. Many might disagree with the ideal healthy weight for women. I'd be happy to lose anything at this point. 

I wish that I could wave a magic wand and both of us (and anyone else here) could have this problem disappear. I'm sorry that I'm of no help. Hopefully others can chime in. When I was at my ideal a few years ago and I have been off and on through the years, I really didn't eat much at all and exercised almost daily. This has had to happen every single time. Especially now that I'm in my late 40s. The older I get, it seems the less I must eat. It's hard for me. I often joke that by the time I'm in my 60s, I may need to eat 3 small jars of baby food a day and that's it. 

I have tried the 'fast diet' for 3 months and didn't lose a pound. For a few months I tried higher fat (coconut oil in my coffee for breakfast etc) and didn't lose anything, in fact it went up.

I'm not sure what the fast diet is. Is it the 5:2 diet? That's just frustrating and I feel bad for you. I haven't been trying and have every right to gain. You've been trying and this just stinks. :(

Redsquirrel, I feel for you. DH's story is very much like yours. When he got serious about losing weight (after a heart attack that caused him to be the proud owner of 8 stents!), he changed his diet and started working out at cardiac rehab. Yes, he dropped some weight, and then after a while he stagnated. For months. He cut his calories further, and played with a couple different diets.  Nothing seemed to jumpstart his metabolism. His body was just very determined to hold on to that weight. 

His cardiologist, nutritionist, and trainer all agreed that when he hit that plateau and didn't budge for a long while that it meant he had to shake it up. In his case, he had to work harder at the gym. That worked, and jump started his metabolism. When he again plateaued, he played with his diet some - he went on Atkins- and that got him losing again.  I'm talking big changes- like going from a treadmill routine to a HIIT program, and doing weights...etc. 

I guess what I'm saying is that for him, he had to keep doing new things because it was like his body had figured out what he was doing and it adapted. I know others have had different experiences, but this man worked like a madman and  his body just kept adapting.  As it stands today, he works out 1.5 hours a day- that is a LOT of time. But he started at 30 minutes and every time he's hit a plateau, he's had to bump up his workouts to keep losing.  

I never had to work hard to maintain my weight- when I gained a few pounds I could shed them within a week or two. Then when I turned 50 things changed.  I am truly eating much less now than I was at age 40 but I have to work hard to keep my weight down. And it's getting more difficult every year.  Some people are just the opposite and find it easier to lose weight as they get older. 

So...you've tried adjusting your diet and you are comfortable that you are accurately calculating your intake. Have you played around with your workouts to see if high intensity workouts jumpstart your weight loss again?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

So sorry for your struggle. 

You are older now and you are a small person.  You could legitimately only need 1100-1200 calories a day.  I can't remember if you said you are consistently tracking right now?  I say stick to 1200 a day and track everything for 2 months and see if you gain or lose.  If you aren't losing then I wouldn't drop below 1200, instead I would add more exercise.  Strength training can replace fat with muscle which will in turn cause an increase in metabolism. 

My dd is small and she is still young.  She faithfully tracks and keeps her cals at around 1200-1400 a day.  If she goes over that she gains.  She is just a slow burner with a little body.

You are absolutely 100% NOT a failure. I promise. The girl who used to weigh 272 pounds PROMISES!! You rock!

Specific replies to things you've said:

• It's Alli
  • I'm not convinced you don't have a thyroid problem, I don't care what your results were, people get good results all the time that shouldn't. Wrong time of day, wrong diet that day, wrong time of month, anything. If you don't think you have a thyroid problem that's fine, but don't base your conclusion on your test results.
  • 1,000 calories a day is not ok. I can share my thoughts if you like, but I don't think you care right now. Let me know and I'll go on.

My thoughts:

• I've become an serious fan of extreme fitness. I've been on so many plans, diets, lifestyles and witch hunts, but nothing takes the cake out of your booty like P90X or Insanity. Good stuffs.
  • See an endocrinologist, not just about your thyroid, but the rest of your hormones.
  • Eat at least 1700 calories a day to speed up your metabolic rate. I'm totally serious. This is a big deal.

Things I've seen work in extreme cases like yours:

• Medifast
  • Alli
  • Hydroxicut

I'm really sorry.

(((Redsquirrel))). Please, please don't think of yourself as a failure. This is just one small part of the total you! You wouldn't talk that way about your kids,dh or friends. Be kind to yourself. I know (from experience) how this becomes huge in your mind and how frustrating it is when you are working so hard. I only know what will work for me. I would continue what has worked before and just play with it a little. For ex. Keep your calories the same but increase protein- something like the 40/40/30 thing. Switch up your exercise. Intensity and type. And keep chugging along knowing that in the end you've done your best and weight is only your relationship to gravity. If you are healthy, happy, loving, kind, a good mom and wife what pants you're wearing doesn't really matter when all is said and done.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am not one to feel defeated or upset about such things. I am a fairly resilient person. But this is just grinding me down and I don't like the feeling one bit.

DH has suggested I see a nutritionist. There are a couple in the area. I could make an appt with my actual doctor, not the PA. I love the PA, but she just gave me the party line about getting older and eating less and didn't really seem to understand that this is really making me nuts. And I didn't feel like I had the space to explain just how hard I am working. Plus, as you all know, people tend to not believe you when you tell them you log your food, weight and measure etc. In fact, because I found that even nutritionists tend to underlog their food by 20% I have my calorie tracker set to 800 calories. I figure that gives me some leeway for that bit of milk in my tea or if I eat a couple mouthfulls of beans and rice while making dinner. My family doctor is personally obsessed with his own weight (I happen to know, and I don't use 'obsessed' in a good way) and he is a hardcore runner/vegan type guy. At the least he would take me seriously.

Negin, I am sorry you are under so much stress. I wish there was a way to help you out. I do know that anything you do to relive that stress is a good thing. My friend when through a couple unbelievably stressful years (job loss due to recession, lost their house due to losing the job, had to move cross country and then back again etc, etc) and she said that the stress caused her to gain quite a bit of weight. Cortisol is a powerful thing and can cause weight gain specifically in the abdominal region.

I don't always make the best choice when it comes to food. I had a very small cookie today. But I also take the calories into account, kwim? I had one slice of homemade pizza for dinner instead of a bowl of broccoli and chicken breast, but it was just one slice and that was dinner. I just feel that that sort of thing really shouldn't be a huge big guilt inducing disaster. A person should be allowed to have a piece of pizza for dinner every now and then.

Slache, I own P90X and Insanity. I have done both, but never done the whole rotation in an official way. More like I might do Insanity for my cardio for a couple months and do some other stuff on other days. Or maybe we do the same with P90X plyo or core workouts.  I have done the weight workouts with P90x as well. Then the summer comes and we can go jogging outside. Right now I have the Tonique Premire DVD and it feels a lot like Insanity only...saner, lol. It is 40 mins of non-stop squats and lunges. It is a fantastic cardio challenge and the lunges make me work on balance, which is good for me. It def feels comparable to an Insanity or a good solid run. I have been doing Tonique 2 times a week, with getting on the Nordic Track two or three times a week with some ballet body/Tracy anderson stuff thrown in.

Today I did 45 mins on the Nordic track. I went about 4.5 miles. Then I did a 30 min kettlebell workout. DH wanted to try kettlebells so I bought some at Target yesterday and we did the fitness blender beginner kettlebell workout. I might try to work that in a couple times a week. I liked it and I am feeling it now, for sure. I haven't done official HIIT workouts but I do try to change things up, try new things like kettlebells. And I love hard workouts. That's one of the things I like about barre workouts. I love stuff that leaves my legs quivering and makes me all sweaty!

I can't imagine eating 1700 calories a day on a regular basis. Like the very idea makes my stomach clench with fear. That just seems like so much food. And every time people have convinced me to eat more my weight shoots right up and then I can't get it down. I am sure I could eat that much on a special occasion or a fun night out, it's not an extreme amount, but I can't imagine doing it on a regular baisis.

I would try Alli, I was ready to years ago, but it's not like it has fantastic numbers, kwim? It's like users lost 8lbs and non users lost 6lbs with diet alone.  But maybe I could revisit it again. It just interferes with the digestion and absorption of fat. I am pretty sure you could overeat on Alli but just on carbs. I am just not all that into taking a pill when so many times things like that turn out to be dangerous.

and yes, the 'Fast diet" is the 2/5 thing. For two days I ate 500 calories and 5 days I ate 800.  In theory I should have eaten 200/800 but even I couldn't go all day on 200 calories. It didn't make a bit of difference. And I was super hungry on the 800 calorie days and would overeat. I didn't feel too hungry on 400 calories, but the next day I wanted to eat everything.

Negin, I am sorry you are under so much stress. I wish there was a way to help you out. I do know that anything you do to relive that stress is a good thing. 

Thank you so much and honestly I don't want to hijack any part of this thread. Just saying that I hear your frustration.  :grouphug:

His body was just very determined to hold on to that weight. 

I guess what I'm saying is that for him, he had to keep doing new things because it was like his body had figured out what he was doing and it adapted.

Annie, this seems to be the case for me also. I've lost lots of weight in the past ten years and regained even more. The only way that I seem to be able to maintain is to eat less and less every year. Exercise (even rigorous exercise - running, Tae Bo, Jillian Michaels-type stuff) have seldom made a major dent for me when it comes to weight loss. They did when I was in my teens and until my early 30s. After that, when it comes to weight loss, diet is about 90% of the ratio for me. Unfortunately. Since I really hate dieting and I absolutely love food. If I want to lose and then maintain, I figure that with each passing decade, I'll need to eat less and less. Again, by the time I'm in my 60s or even earlier, I may need to eat three jars of baby food a day and that's it. I once read that that's what Jennifer Aniston does when she needs to lose. 

I honestly believe that weight loss and maintaining the loss is a completely different story once you reach your 40s and older than when you're in your 20s and 30s. It's just not the same anymore. At least that's the case for me. It was so much easier back then. I would eat slightly less and workout a bit and it was that simple. 

Some here have mentioned high intensity-type workouts, or at least I think they did, and I was possibly not fully awake yet. Again, high-intensity used to work wonders for me. Not anymore. Tiredness and soreness make me hungry. Tough workouts irritate me, and I no longer consider them a good option for weight loss. Maybe it's an age thing. I don't know. Injuries also come into play. I already have one bad knee and need to be super careful. I know there are people for whom hard, intense workouts work. However, I am not one of them anymore. The only impact I can do is on the rebounder. I also do Leslie walks. 

I wish there was a magic cure to stop me from feeling hungry and to curb my emotional eating. :(

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am not one to feel defeated or upset about such things. I am a fairly resilient person. But this is just grinding me down and I don't like the feeling one bit.

I am sorry for your struggles.  Sincerely frustrating :grouphug:

How long have you been eating/logging 800 calories?  Have you logged every single day during that time?  800 seems awfully low.  I ask because I tried years ago to eat 1,000 calories.  That is very low for me.  I really wanted to lose a few pounds and it seemed like the quick way to get there.  Instead it went like this....I would eat 1,000 calories a day for a week and then I would binge for a few days and then I would eat 1,000 calories for a week...rinse, repeat.  I had far more success when I increased my calories to something that didn't cause me to binge.  I am not saying that you are doing this....I just want to share my experience just in case.

Have you ever been to Scooby's calculator and calculated your calorie needs? 

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You are small so your maintenance calories are probably much lower that others. 

I have heard very successful stories of women in your situation who increase cals and count accurately for a month or two.  They are told to accept up to a 3-5 pound weight gain at first (water gain).  Then they stop gaining as long as they are tracking and not binge eating.  Then from there they decrease by 20% in order to lose. 

For example, a lady is eating 1,000 calories a day and her maintenance is 1,900.  She increases to 1,700 for two months and tracks everything (no cheating).  She gains 3 pounds in the first 2-3 weeks but then she stops gaining because her body adjusts.  Then, she drops down to 1360 calories per day and bam....she is losing.  She is losing even though she didn't lose on 1,000 a day previously.  It is sort of a metabolism reset deal.  I am no expert but I have heard stories of ladies in your situation where it worked nicely.

Maybe it is worth a try for you?

Negin, maybe you should go on vacation.

Also, let it be known that I will never ever run in weather in which my eyelashes freeze. Ever. I'm freezing in my low 60s temp.

Sunday was rest day. Cleaned around the house. Yesterday was lower body strength and today upper body. Today's workout had many interruptions due to 3 kids waking up sick. 

Squirrel, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I agree that you should see an endo. There are more comprehensive thyroid tests that can be run. Also, you can have your blood sugar metabolism checked among other things. 

Now, here's where I might get scolded but oh well. I am 5'1" and I consistently eat less than 1200 calories a day. My average is about 1000 to 1100 a day. Sometimes it's below and sometimes over. It's usually weekends I consume more because I eat junk treats like hard cider, wine, chips, and so forth. Even then I almost never go above 1500/1600.

According to MFP I should eat 1500 a day to maintain my weight. I can NOT eat/drink that much in a day. I just can't. I will feel over full and I'll be pissy. It's hard for me to get 1100 a day and not feel stuffed. I guess I have a really slow metabolism. If I drink even close to the amount of water we are told to drink in a day, I will eat even fewer calories.

I've actually stopped tracking my food because I hated MFP telling me I wasn't eating enough when I feel FINE and energetic. However, I am not trying to lose weight. So I am okay with eating according to hunger signals. 

I am healthy, fit, and have plenty of energy without eating over 1200 calories a day. I workout 5-6 days a week with 3-4 days being high intensity. I am a small person who just doesn't need as many calories as all the calculators say I do. If I feel great, have energy, and do not fall underweight then I figure I am doing fine listening to my body. 

So while I am not sharing with you what I do to lose weight (cause I maintain my weight) I just wanted to tell you that there are people your height who eat 1000-1100 cal a day and are healthy and not undernourished. 

My only thought for you, other than seeing an endo, is to work on building muscle mass. 

redsquirrel, have you been tested for insulin resistance?  2 or 3 hour GTT with insulin levels?  Any history of diseases asrisociated with metabolic syndrome in your family tree?

I'm not overweight and I don't think my BMI has ever exceeded 21-22 when not pregnant or a year post partum.  I have PCOS though, and as a result am more insulin resistant than many.  Fasting numbers won't give enough info in most cases to diagnose insulin resistance.  I do have family history on both sides that matches up with issues common with metabolic syndrome (hypertension, high triglycerides in my dad, elevated cholesterol in my mom, etc.), and  metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance are commonly associated.  When I do gain, I gain weight in my stomach area (typical for those with insulin resistance but not diagnostic, obviously)  As a result of my insulin resistance, I choose to eat a lower carb diet, and have been for most of the last 11 years or so.  I can pack on pounds quickly if I am off plan, even if my calories aren't very high.  Just tossing that out there, as many people assume insulin resistance means that you are diabetic and will think it doesn't apply to them, or that if they aren't overweight they can't have insulin resistance.  Insulin issues can make it difficult to lose weight.  I would also consider discussing with your doctor more extensive thyroid testing.  I would bring food logs, etc. and explain to your physician you've been tracking what you eat and exercising consistently without much improvement. 

If you are menopausal, I think it just can be considerably more difficult for many women to lose. 

yes, you can get headphone extensions & headphones come with different length cords

try threading your cord up under your bra - then if the earbuds fall out, or you choose to pop one out (I do this in busy areas so I can hear traffic or people around me) then  they do not go flying everywhere & you're not digging them out from between your legs (btdt lol)   Also, if they're anchored under your bra, then even if you're holding your device the arm movements are less likely to pull out your buds.

i prefer to run with my old tiny sansa clip rather than the ipod. we only have ipod touches & I can't tuck them in nicely anywhere & I don't like holding it in my hand. I get all sweaty & I'm paranoid l'll just drop it

Our old sansa clips are starting to fail & I think I'll pick up one of these Sony "lipstick" MP3's next.

they're small, cheap, I don't care if they get wet or sweaty & again small enough to shove the whole thing down my bra. I think they're being discontinued ... shame because I think these small, simple devices have a real use.

otoh, ds is saying it's better to just take a phone & then in an emerg you can also call. I just don't want to run with my phone, esp since the darned things are getting bigger each year... but I kind of see his point....

Well, I have tried adding calories to 'reset' and that has always resulted in weight gain without the loss when I cut back. I now weight more and am eating less than before.  But, I didn't do it in a particularly organized fashion. This was a while ago. It was more like, "hey, the holidays are here. Why don't you experiment with eating a bit more, don't be so strict, and see what happens when you cut back after the holidays are over"  Now, I am not exactly on the party circuit, lol. So eating a bit more didn't feel like a big change. And I was eating 1,200 calorie in those days. I didn't remember what my goal was (I did it on paper back then). I might have just stopped counting for 6 weeks or so and just tried to be more relaxed about the whole thing. My weight did jump up, but I was never able to get it to come back down. I kept going UP on 1,200 when I went back to it. So I cut back to 1,000 and I stabilized for a while...but then it started to creep up. So about 18 months ago I cut it to 800. I figured that when I was tracking at 1,000 I was prob still eating in the 1,200 calorie range overall, with bites of dinner while cooking or needing that cup of tea with 2tbsp of milk etc. So I started counting at 800 to ensure I stayed at 1,000 if that makes sense.  I am trying to make this work in my real life.

And I have been doing 800 (with a buffer, to be clear) for a long time. No, I don't log every single day, but I log most days. I eat the same thing most days, or within the same range most days, so if I don't log a day it is unlikely that anything exciting happened, lol.  I actually seem to be just fine on about 1000 calories. It doesn't bother me, I think because I am petite. It just means I don't have wine or dessert if I go out and I order my salad without cheese. And sometimes I do go over. I went out this past weekend with some friends to a wine bar. I had two glasses of wine (and I say those glasses were small!) and I got some spiced nuts to snack on. I bet those cashews were caloric, but I tend to do better with that then higher carbs. That was the only time I went out all month, and those nuts and wine were my dinner meal. If I overeat I try to make it on the protein/fat side of the equation. I will undereat the day before and the day after a special meal to try to balance it out. If dh and I go to the french restaurant in town I am going to enjoy my meal! But even then I get a soup and a salad...a fancy french one though, lol. But dh and I will split an order of fancy french fries, kwim? But we did that in November, not every week.

I can absolutely tighten up my logging and my recording. I have been feeling very 'what is the point' lately, hence the impending crasin banishment lol.

I did check out that Scooby calculator and it gives me 1253 calories to lose weight. That would be an increase at this point. But I have absolutely gained on a 1200 allotment. It was a slow but steady gain and it confused the heck out of me.

And my weight has now held steady at 156.8. So I guess it is trying to be the 'new normal' :confused1: .  Does this mean in a year 166 will be the new normal?

Oh, and Negin you asked about my waist measurement. My doctor measures that instead of BMI and even when I was at 135 it was riiiight over the line of a 'healthy' measurement. Just like my BMI was just over the line of overweight. So I know it isn't any better now.

A typical day for me these days foodwise is:

Morning:

coffee with a dash of milk (I did go caffeine free recently and only added back the coffee this week)

Smoothie: I have a big smoothie for breakfast. This is sort of a typical one, a bit more caloric than usual with the cacao and the date, but I was in the mood for chocolate. And it will last me a long time

1 cup water

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Frozen sliced peaches 50g

fresh spinach 50g

1 medjool date

2 tbsp collegen hydrolsyate (a type of gelatin)

1tbsp ground flax

1 scoop whey powder

1 Tbsp Cacao powder

1/4 avocado (1.2 oz)

Kale 25g

Calories according to MFP: 355 (I try to keep it under 300 usually but oh well)

Lunch will prob be

100g kale steamed

3-4 oz chicken breast

some sort of topping for flavour, I don't know

Dinner will be:

soup made from veggie broth and a roasted butternut squash that I heat and puree in the vitamix.  Low on protein so maybe a couple egg whites on the side? Or I might just have egg whites with some frozen spinach tossed in and topped with a spoonful of salsa. depends on how busy I get with ballet etc.

Snack around 4 or 5 might be some coconut water with 1tbsp chia seeds and maybe more of the collagen stirred in. If I am really hungry and can afford the calories I might have a rice cake with .5 TB of almond butter instead.

My danger times:

4-5 pm while making dinner.  I sometimes make a decaf coffee and whey protein drink for an extra boost

after dinner.  This is traditionally my munchie time.  I am trying So Hard not to eat in the late evening. I am getting better, really I am.  I used to save calories to make room for a later snack, but I am not having to do that any longer. I sometimes do, because life happens and I miss a meal, but it isn't a requirement

Does anyone want to try to convince me to try increasing my calories? I am very, very cautious because I just don't trust my weight will come down again. I have seen that for me it prob is all about the diet and my exercise is for fitness and health and maintaining a weight loss. I  am  not sure that even if I switched up my calories and then cut them along side a HIIT program that the HIIT would be the thing to tip the balance.