Menu

Purging, I am so bad at it!

DawnM

Haven't used it for 5 years?  But, I might need it!  I just might.

ARGH!

Today I made myself purge.  My sewing/craft area has so much stuff that I had wanted/intended to do.....or sell, or whatever....it is JUNK!  Seriously!

I just filled our large trash cans outside and had to stop because the trash cans are full and we have several other trash bags just sitting here ready to be tossed.

Please tell me it will be ok.  

You're doing a great job!  Give yourself some credit.  What's the worst that can happen?  Maybe 7 years from now that craft item could've been used, but so what?  So you'll go buy it again and actually do it.  You got 7 years of not having it clutter up your life and that's a good thing.  You deserve good things. What's the most likely scenario?  Those things you got rid of you didn't need and when you do want to do a craft in the future, it will be something else entirely.  If you stop buying and keeping things that "might be useful in a future craft" and only buy the things you specifically need for a craft at the stage of life you actually have time to do it, you'll save more money in the long run.  You're on a roll. 

It will be okay. Just remember we live in such a prosperous part of the world. Is it very likely that you will pass something up and it will be a terrible crisis later if you do need/want it later?

What I like better than the "have I used it in --- years" measure is the feeling measure recommended by the Marie Kondo lady. Hold the item. Does it spark joy? This is actually a much better decision measure than how useful it is or has been, because it is impossible to know if it WILL be useful eventually. Do you love this DooHickey? Keep it. Do you feel neutral, or, god forbid, resentful of the object? Err on the side of purging. Remember, you're giving another person a chance to use and enjoy something that is not useful or enjoyable to you.

It'll be okay. Really!

Not that I can take my own advice, lol. At this point in my life, I have more storage space than money, so getting rid of perfectly good stuff that we have needed in the past and might need again in the future, even if we haven't used it in several years, makes me scratch my head.

But, really, good for you!

This little mindgame works well for me: I give myself permission to rebuy in the off chance I will need or want it back.  And you know, I think that has happened 1-2x maybe (?) in 10 yrs.  Just knowing it is an option if I regret it helps me purge.

I like the Marie Kondo method mentioned upthread. I haven't done a total purge, but we've been steadily getting rid of a bunch of stuff, and we're not super hoard-y to begin with.  The KonMari method just brings a simple perspective to things.  The book isn't earth shattering, but a nice, easy, short read that leaves me wanting to streamline.

Good luck!

It'll be okay. Really!

Not that I can take my own advice, lol. At this point in my life, I have more storage space than money, so getting rid of perfectly good stuff that we have needed in the past and might need again in the future, even if we haven't used it in several years, makes me scratch my head.

But, really, good for you!

I guess technically I have the space, but I would like to have less stuff AND we are looking at moving, so out it needs to go!

I guess technically I have the space, but I would like to have less stuff AND we are looking at moving, so out it needs to go!

I was just thinking if we needed to move - wow, there would be a lot of stuff heading out. I'm not even on the hoard-y side, but it's a roomy house and stuff expands.

I was just thinking if we needed to move - wow, there would be a lot of stuff heading out. I'm not even on the hoard-y side, but it's a roomy house and stuff expands.

Yup, this is us too.  We moved from a small house in SoCal to a large house in NC and I swear we filled this thing up very quickly!

My purging went really bad this week, again.

I picked up everything that looked toss-able off the floor. I took the trash bags out. Then..I found it...the wrapping/envelope to an Eva Pirrazi Viola string. I had bought new ones for daughter when she left for college! They were on the floor, out of the wrapping for some reason, brand new, and in the trash now. I had seen what I thought were wires from a science kit and tossed them. Just grabbed them up and tossed them!! That was close to $40 per string!

What I like better than the "have I used it in --- years" measure is the feeling measure recommended by the Marie Kondo lady. Hold the item. Does it spark joy? This is actually a much better decision measure than how useful it is or has been, because it is impossible to know if it WILL be useful eventually. Do you love this DooHickey? Keep it. Do you feel neutral, or, god forbid, resentful of the object? Err on the side of purging. Remember, you're giving another person a chance to use and enjoy something that is not useful or enjoyable to you.

THIS!!! I picked up Marie's book on a lark on Wednesday. It was a bit silly, I thought, when I read it (I finished it Thursday). But oh my stars!  Yesterday I purged my kids' room (with their permission and assistance) and today I started the rest of the house. If it doesn't give someone joy, it's GONE. So far today, two van-loads of stuff has gone to Goodwill. You can do this! 

THIS!!! I picked up Marie's book on a lark on Wednesday. It was a bit silly, I thought, when I read it (I finished it Thursday). But oh my stars!  Yesterday I purged my kids' room (with their permission and assistance) and today I started the rest of the house. If it doesn't give someone joy, it's GONE. So far today, two van-loads of stuff has gone to Goodwill. You can do this! 

Really glad to hear that!  I just got the book from the library.  I have the worst time letting go of anything sentimental, and I always feel super guilty when I finally manage to part with something.  Hoping to have some time tonight to start reading it.

THIS!!! I picked up Marie's book on a lark on Wednesday. It was a bit silly, I thought, when I read it (I finished it Thursday). But oh my stars! Yesterday I purged my kids' room (with their permission and assistance) and today I started the rest of the house. If it doesn't give someone joy, it's GONE. So far today, two van-loads of stuff has gone to Goodwill. You can do this!

Yeah, there are a few strange aspects in that book, and a few ideas which I don't agree with (take ALL the books off the shelf to decide?), but I like her book. I'm pretty interested in Feng Shui concepts and I do think there is something important in how you treat belongings. Although I think I draw the line on unpacking my purse every day so my purse does not "go to bed on a full stomach." :D

I like this method. I was recently overjoyed to find that I actually didn't give away my cuisenart fondue pot. Did I forget I owned it? Well, yeah. But then my friend asked me if I had one and I thought, "Do I? I used to. Oh no! I think I decluttered it!" When I located it, it was like Past Me sent me a gift. So now we're planning to add monthly fondue to our weekly Wine Wednesday.

It's nice to give myself permission to keep things I love but don't use often. I have a particular weakness for specialty kitchen gadgets. I own an ice cream maker and a waffle cone maker. A Mickey Mouse waffle iron and a Belgian waffle iron and a panini press. I own an electric coffee roaster. A stand mixer and a hand mixer. I own stainless kitchen spoons that are odd sizes, like 1/2 tbsp, 2 tsp, and 1/3 tsp, as well as two sets of stainless regular spoons. I have no fewer than three Zesters and three vegetable peelers. I have six spatula and 8 sizes of whisks.

Typing this out I realize I may have a problem, lol. But I love and use them all and refuse to part with any of it!

Also I find I'm worse at decluttering than I used to be. I used to just pack up stuff all the time without a care in the world. Then my grandma died and I realized I no longer had the dresses she hand sewed for my oldest. We lost our basement when we moved west and we got rid of tons of old games and toys we no longer had room for, now they don't sell them, or they aren't as well made, or they've completely changed the game to update it and just made it dumber. We had two more kids since then and I'm really wishing I'd saved some of the stuff. Used to be that if you replaced something it was at least as good as the thing you were replacing, but anymore the way they cut corners it's rare to buy something well made at any price.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I think the best help for this is to watch a couple of episodes of Hoarders before you start to purge.  It can be a great motivator . seriously. 

Hugs to you...I know it's hard...especially with stuff you really would like to use someday, but just haven't had the time to get around to it.

Actually it has the opposite effect!  I look and say, "Wow!  My house is positively empty!  AND CLEAN!!!!!"

HAHAHAHA!!!!!  

Yeah, there are a few strange aspects in that book, and a few ideas which I don't agree with (take ALL the books off the shelf to decide?), but I like her book. I'm pretty interested in Feng Shui concepts and I do think there is something important in how you treat belongings. Although I think I draw the line on unpacking my purse every day so my purse does not "go to bed on a full stomach." :D

My purse is definitely going to continue to sleep on a full tummy. It's a happy, chubby purse!

That being said, I did find the pulling all the books off the shelf to be helpful, just because the books were spread all over the house. Also, since they were already off the shelf, they were a little more likely to go to Goodwill. (I love books, so there were a lot of them!) 

A few things that surprised me: I was surprised that me telling my DH about his musical instruments being happier if they are played was persuasive to him (we got rid of four children's guitars that the boys never use). Also, I was surprised that telling the items we were donating "thank you" really made me feel better about donating them. (Yeah, little woo-woo, but...)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still have to do the school room, storage room, and the garage. I think we're going to be stocking the Goodwill for at least a week before we're done. 

My purse is definitely going to continue to sleep on a full tummy. It's a happy, chubby purse!

That being said, I did find the pulling all the books off the shelf to be helpful, just because the books were spread all over the house. Also, since they were already off the shelf, they were a little more likely to go to Goodwill. (I love books, so there were a lot of them!)

A few things that surprised me: I was surprised that me telling my DH about his musical instruments being happier if they are played was persuasive to him (we got rid of four children's guitars that the boys never use). Also, I was surprised that telling the items we were donating "thank you" really made me feel better about donating them. (Yeah, little woo-woo, but...)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still have to do the school room, storage room, and the garage. I think we're going to be stocking the Goodwill for at least a week before we're done.

The book motivated me to take a huge jar of coins in to the bank for cashing out. I actually do think money should not stagnate by being hoarded in a jar. Reading her book reminded me that I did used to think that. Plus, it was rather fun "waking up" that pile of change, stacking it so nicely, noticing the very old or unusual coins (found a 1941 penny!). Ds worked on counting it with me and that was a good educational activity.

I also think it is a good practice to recognize that things you bought, then regretted serve a purpose, too. The purpose was to show you what you don't like or need. By recognizing that purpose, it makes it easier to let go of mistakes, rather than keep them around reminding you that you made a mistake in buying that.

I also like her folding method and putting clothes on their edge in the drawers. I thought this was a silly idea when I read it, but not once I tried it. I now see all the shirts and sweaters in my drawer. They also use less space and don't wrinkle. Plus the neat little rectangles of clothing strongly appeals to my craving for order and precision. My drawers are a work of art.

DawnM, have you started putting stuff in boxes yet? For me, the first 15 or so were fun to pack. By about 50, it was tedious. I began giving away and selling things (chairs, bookcases, and other big things). I began taking van loads of stuff to Goodwill at least once a week--often twice--18 months ago. You still really can't tell that I've packed anything--except for my bookcases. Realizing that I still have 3600 sq ft to pack has helped me get even more serious about purging...especially once I started pricing out movers.

THIS!!! I picked up Marie's book on a lark on Wednesday. It was a bit silly, I thought, when I read it (I finished it Thursday). But oh my stars! Yesterday I purged my kids' room (with their permission and assistance) and today I started the rest of the house. If it doesn't give someone joy, it's GONE. So far today, two van-loads of stuff has gone to Goodwill. You can do this!

I put the book in my Amazon cart. It landed right next to a pie bird that I don't really need. :-(

ETA. My public library system has dozens of copies, every single one is taken out.