Menu

Teach uppercase or lowercase first?

nannyaunt

Not only is lowercase more often used, but text that is all lowercase is easier to read than text that is all caps. To prove it, I will type this message twice.

NOT ONLY IS LOWERCASE MORE OFTEN USED, BUT TEXT THAT IS ALL LOWERCASE IS EASIER TO READ THAN TEXT THAT IS ALL CAPS. TO PROVE IT, I WILL TYPE THIS MESSAGE TWICE.

Holy eyestrain, Batman! I remember when the girls did kindergarten, their teachers could be heard complaining that their students knew capitals but were hopeless with lowercase. They really wished they'd been able to teach the kids lowercase first, just because it's more useful and easier to read. (But children rarely go into kindergarten, at least in that school, without knowing their letters, so no such luck.)

Just wondering which one most people teach first.

Always teach lower case first, because if you teach upper case first, you will be remediating the use of random upper- and lower-case letters for the next five years.

So you teach lower case first, upper case as needed along with the usage rule, e.g., we use upper-case letters at the beginning of sentences and people's names.

I think lowercase is better. But I've done it both ways, and it didn't seem to throw my kids at all either way. 

I planned to teach the toddler his lowercase letters first, but the alphabet books he likes have just the uppercase letter, and he learned them before I realized what was happening. :/ So I'll have to find a lowercase-only alphabet book to introduce to the baby... ;)

Wow. This thread is enlightening. I taught both my olders uppercase first...my ds will occasionally put a random upper case letter in but it is very rare. Dd never did that. Now I am teaching my youngest upper case first ... With sounds. Teaching lower case first makes sense...we do use HWOT so there is that. . .

I've taught upper case first three times because they are easier.  No problems :)  My kindergartener still confuses them sometimes and puts caps where lowercase need to be, but then again, my 5th grader puts lowercase where caps need to be, like at the beginning of his sentences.  But in general, they have done fine.

B

Lower case letters should be learned first, if you must choose.

Why choose?

I introduce upper and lower case simultaneously from the start and with their sounds. I heavily focus on lower case letters.  We continually practice the upper case lightly, but when we write words we always use the lowercase letters.  I've had many issues with LD's, but mixing upper/lower case hasn't been one of them.

If a child can see Mommy cow and Baby cow, Mommy cat and Baby cat, they can understand and assimilate Upper Case and Lower Case. There is great benefit to teaching them at the same time.  

I teach upper case for letter recognition and writing, but lower case for reading.

So, sort of both at the same time.

But the kids in my preschool class (and those I've observed/taught for 11 years) naturally begin to make random letter forms and then letters as part of developmental writing before formal writing and reading lessons, simply through exposure to written language (charts, graphs, handwritten letters, books where they see the print, environmental print...).