Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - Happy New Year

Robin M

Two or three years back We did a read along of Moby Dick and don't remember who mentioned it (please wave your hand), suggested first reading Why Read Moby Dick by Nathaniel Philbright. Did so and it presented some insight into the story and actually made it more bearable to read. So if anyone wants to tackle this year, check out WRMD, then pick a starting month or day and go for it. reading Moby Dick lead me to Ahab's Wife By Sena Jeter Naslund which was quite enjoyable albeit sad at points, but is a great addition to MD read. And now I read at least one Naslund book a year. This year is the Fountain at St James Court.

I read Ahab's Wife many years ago for my book club. I remember thinking it was ok, not exactly my style book, but it was fine. That's part of the reason I'm a little hesitant about Moby Dick. Thanks for the reminder about Why Read Moby Dick. I remember that being mentioned way back when, but had totally forgotten about it. Hope my library has it as I'm trying to cut back on spending in general for awhile. (Seems my cat's diabetes has returned after being in remission for awhile, so I'll probably be spending more of my pennies on his supplies & meds & less on books.)

Now, I'm much more likely to read this than MD. The sample I read indicates some wonderfully, visceral writing. Onto the tbr list it goes. But it doesn't mean I'm going to go ahead and read the original, or anything like that ;)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll do a Vonnegut read-along. I read most of his novels when I was in college, and I've been afraid to re-read them, fearing that they will meet the same fate as Catcher in the Rye--I loved it as a teen, but find it annoying as an adult. I immediately realize that I need to take that back--I re-read The Sirens of Titan, and still love it. I'm not sure I could read Breakfast of Champions again, though. :)

I think I'll dip my toe in and see how the water is. :)  Think of me as a baby deer when it comes to literature or literary analysis of any kind - any sudden discussion of metaphor or grand analysis of poetic device and I'm likely to spook and bolt. :D

Currently on my night stand:

East of Eden - Steinbeck

I'm just over half way through.  Well...  Actually, I've been just over half way through for about 6 months now.  It lost momentum for me.  If I wait much longer, I'll probably have to start it again.

The Language of God - Francis S. Collins

Misquoting Jesus - Bart D. Ehrman

Misquoting Truth - Timothy Paul Jones

I wanted to read these two together.  I've started Misquoting Jesus but not Misquoting Truth.  (OK - I just reread that sentence.  I should probably put the titles in italic.  I didn't mean to make a theological statement about how I communicate..)

Jesus, Interrupted - Ehrman

The Traitor's Wife - Susan Higginbotham

Katherine - Anya Seton

This is my "going to sleep book". :)  If I read something interesting or thought-provoking right before I turn out the light, I can't switch my brain off and go to sleep.  I find Seton's books soothing and lovely and since I've read them so many times, I don't need to pay attention.  I just keep rotating them through my "going to sleep book" roster.

On the coffee table:

The History of the Book in 100 Books - Roderick Cave & Sara Ayad

A Christmas present from my nephew.  I've flipped through it and it looks interesting.

On the kitchen table next to my laptop:

General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry: Structures of Life, Third Edition - Karen Timberlake

Chemistry: A Molecular Approach - Nivaldo Tro

For work. :)  All the courses I'm teaching for the upcoming winter semester are chem courses.  That makes me happy.  Intro Psych was something different and fun to teach last semester but it takes a lot more prep work on my part.  Teaching chem is like slipping into an old, worn, totally familiar pair of slippers.  Particularly organic chem. :)

i'll do a Vonnegut read-along. I read most of his novels when I was in college, and I've been afraid to re-read them, fearing that they will meet the same fate as Catcher in the Rye--I loved it as a teen, but find it annoying as an adult. I immediately realize that I need to take that back--I re-read The Sirens of Titan, and still love it. I'm not sure I could read Breakfast of Champions again, though. :)

And, see, out of the various Vonnegut books I've read, I think I disliked The Sirens of Titan and Galapagos the most. Lol. I've enjoyed/loved Timequake, Deadeye Dick, Slaughterhouse-Five, Hocus Pocus. I've read a couple of others, but they were so long ago, I don't really remember much about them one way or the other. I would like to read Breakfast of Champions because that's such a famous one of his, yet I've never read it.

I think I'll dip my toe in and see how the water is. :)  Think of me as a baby deer when it comes to literature or literary analysis of any kind - any sudden discussion of metaphor or grand analysis of poetic device and I'm likely to spook and bolt. :D

Eh, we'll go easy on you. No literary essays required until week 3. Then you'll need to turn in your literary thesis at that point.

;) :lol:

East of Eden - Steinbeck

I'm just over half way through.  Well...  Actually, I've been just over half way through for about 6 months now.  It lost momentum for me.  If I wait much longer, I'll probably have to start it again.

I read that years ago for my irl book club. I remember it being ok. Some parts were interesting but overall it just seemed too long to me.

Misquoting Jesus - Bart D. Ehrman

I have this one sitting here too. It's one I bought years ago but haven't gotten around to reading. I still need/plan to read it....

Teaching chem is like slipping into an old, worn, totally familiar pair of slippers.  Particularly organic chem. :)

Now, see, if you start waxing poetic about stuff like organic chemistry, I'm likely to be like a baby deer, spook, & bolt! :gnorsi:  :laugh:

Now I'm much more likely to read this than MD. The sample I read indicates some wonderfully, visceral writing. Onto the tbr list it goes. But it doesn't mean I'm going to go ahead and read the original, or anything like that ;)

Yes, actually I can see you really enjoying this book, shukriyya. (And you still must read Galore, per Kathy's & my command!!!) Lol.

Welcome to all the newcomers!!  It is lovely to have you here.

I'd never heard of The Case of Comrade Tulayev before - thank you!  Since Jane inspired me year before last to venture into Eastern European literature, I've been wanting to also look at more from Russia in the Soviet era.  [Jane, this looks like something you might be interested in too.  ]

Indeed it does although my library does not have the book in its collection.  Perhaps I can use this as an incentive of a book to purchase after reading x number of dusties. 

Thank you to Rose for the recommendation and to Eliana for the implicit nudge to make note of the title in my reading notebook.

ETA:  I keep running out of likes.  Do we have fewer or does the lack of the multiquote feature have me using more of them?

They can be a bit intimidating at times too, though I don't think any of them mean to be. I've quietly done several read-alongs with them without participating in the discussion. Just being able to read the discussion has helped with my understanding of some difficult books though.

Who knows ....... I may have a ton of questions and decide to jump right in.  However, I suspect I'm going to have a hard enough time following Joyce to manage anything else.  I've read a few pages, however, and am not feeling too overwhelmed.  Fortunately, I think Virginia Woolf has paved the path to this read ---- I'm now used to zig-zagging mental digressions and bizarre flash thoughts. ;-)

BTW, congrats on reading Moby Dick!  It's on my list but not for this year.  I loved Les Miserables!  Valjean is one of my favourite all-time characters.

I read the first page of Moby Dick last night. I am not altogether sure that I will read any further :)

:lol:

(Ok, people, you're not giving me much hope here. But, the pictures. I want to read it only because I want to see what the pictures are about. Lol.)

I'll probably jump on the Vonnegut wagon. I remember reading Galapogos in college eons ago but I don't remember any others. I know dh was a big fan.

:hurray:

Eh, we'll go easy on you. No literary essays required until week 3. Then you'll need to turn in your literary thesis at that point.

;) :lol:

Ummm...  Can't.  My dog ate it.  :leaving:  ;)

Now, see, if you start waxing poetic about stuff like organic chemistry, I'm likely to be like a baby deer, spook, & bolt!  :gnorsi:   :laugh:

Sigh...  OK.  I'll try to control myself.

If it makes you feel better, I hate Shakespeare and said last year that Truman Capote's work is only worth using as toilet paper. I'm still allowed to play here among the Shakespeare lovers. :) No one claims to really enjoy Truman Capote though...

However, I suspect I'm going to have a hard enough time following Joyce to manage anything else.  I've read a few pages, however, and am not feeling too overwhelmed.  Fortunately, I think Virginia Woolf has paved the path to this read ---- I'm now used to zig-zagging mental digressions and bizarre flash thoughts. ;-)

That is a very soothing observation.  I don't find Woolf the kind of hard I've been worried about with Ulysses  - her fiction is writing I need to give my full attention to, and to read in longer chunks...her letters and diaries are soothing to dip in and out of (I've only done abridged collections before, but this year I'm doing her complete letters and diaries... well, I'm starting them this year... not sure when I will finish.

...but, perhaps Ulysses will be more manageable than I've feared?  From the difficulty ratings Thomas gave the various chapters, I think chapter 3 will be the real test for me.

:lol:

(Ok, people, you're not giving me much hope here. But, the pictures. I want to read it only because I want to see what the pictures are about. Lol.)

:hurray:

The pictures seem to tie in with the Zentangles that some of our gentle readers are discussing.  Which only goes to show that all literary  discussions will eventually lead us back to Moby Dick.  :cool:

If it makes you feel better, I hate Shakespeare and said last year that Truman Capote's work is only worth using as toilet paper. I'm still allowed to play here among the Shakespeare lovers. :) No one claims to really enjoy Truman Capote though...

:toetap05:

<clears throat>... except ME. I love Truman Capote's work.

(But it does give me a giggle thinking of Rosie piecing together a TP roll using pages of books she doesn't like.... Wherefore art thou, toilet paper? At Tiffany's?)

I'm going to join in - I have no problem hitting 52 books a year but I realized lately that I've gotten into a rut with what I read.  Not only has fiction has moved to the back shelf, but all my fiction is 'light reading' or re-reads - a far cry from my young self who would read just about anything.   I need a 'challenge' or two to keep me on track for more classics which is one of my new year's resolutions.  I posted another thread asking for 'starter' rec's but the author of the month thing might be just what I need to get going  - plus just reading this thread I'm already considering some books I wouldn't have.  Thanks!

:toetap05:

<clears throat>... except ME. I love Truman Capote's work.

(But it does give me a giggle thinking of Rosie piecing together a TP roll using pages of books she doesn't like.... Wherefore art thou, toilet paper? At Tiffany's?)

I didn't hear any vigorous defences from you last year! 

Lay it on, Sister.

And I really, really disliked Ahab's Wife.  Hated it.  Could not finish it.  It started well with lovely writing, but the story took a left turn at some point that annoyed me to no end.  I like a strong and capable female protagonist, but something about her or what the author did with her just rubbed me the wrong way.  

Ulysses is a book I've wanted to tackle since college, but this is not the season of my life for any serious reading.  It may be the season instead to visit Flufferton Abbey and finally try some Georgette Heyer!

Now, see, if you start waxing poetic about stuff like organic chemistry, I'm likely to be like a baby deer, spook, & bolt! :gnorsi:  :laugh:

OChem is *amazing*!  Until Microbiology last quarter, it is the most satisfying class I have ever had.  ...but I promise not to wax poetic about it...

Cool about Vonnegut, Robin! I sure hope some BaWers love him. I adore his work but so far mostly know people who don't read his stuff or don't really like his stuff. I'm crossing my fingers here!!!! Lol.

The only Vonnegut I've loved is Player Piano, but I think I will appreciate some of the works I couldn't connect with when I was 18-20...

This is the third time I've posted in the first week of this thread with the intention of reading 52 books.  Hopefully this is the first year I actually succeed. 

You'll have a cheering squad here and oodles of encouragement...but  know that not reaching 52 isn't any kind of failure... the number doesn't really matter, it's the striving, the reaching for goals that speak to you...and then making them positive tools rather than oppressive tyrants... their *your* goals... and if you decide partway through the year to modify them, that's fabulous too...whatever enhances your reading journey!

Hi, I am going to attempt to join you this year. I don't have any grand plans of what to read yet, but they will come as I read more responses here, I'm sure. 

Right now I'm reading Behind the Beautiful Forevers for book club in February and I have Quiet on my shelf TBR. I will join in with the History of the Medieval World challenge. Once upon a time I was a world history teacher and just love the time period. 

Just wanted to introduce myself a little and thanks!

Welcome, Felicity!  ...and I look forward to your thoughts (and books suggestions!) as we read through HotMW!

I read the first page of Moby Dick last night. I am not altogether sure that I will read any further :)

Moby is one of those books that grow on you and one to read chunks at a time. Give it a 30 to 50 page chance and see what happens, Of course it is also one of those books that just when it is getting interesting, takes a left turn and one is back to slogging through the dross to get to the meat. But totally understandable if you are ready after one page to stop if there isn't any incentive to continue reading. There have been many a "good" book that hasn't passed my first page test.

Likes...for those of us who have run out I think the problem is we are allowed 50 likes in 24 hours. My post will be the 170 th in slightly more than 24 hours. Definitely a problem for me!

ETA. See there is our problem because I was eating popcorn this ended up at 174.

I think I'll dip my toe in and see how the water is. :)  Think of me as a baby deer when it comes to literature or literary analysis of any kind - any sudden discussion of metaphor or grand analysis of poetic device and I'm likely to spook and bolt.

East of Eden - Steinbeck

Katherine - Anya Seton

This is my "going to sleep book". :)  If I read something interesting or thought-provoking right before I turn out the light, I can't switch my brain off and go to sleep.  I find Seton's books soothing and lovely and since I've read them so many times, I don't need to pay attention.  I just keep rotating them through my "going to sleep book" roster.

On the kitchen table next to my laptop:

General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry: Structures of Life, Third Edition - Karen Timberlake

Chemistry: A Molecular Approach - Nivaldo Tro

For work. :)  All the courses I'm teaching for the upcoming winter semester are chem courses.  That makes me happy.  Intro Psych was something different and fun to teach last semester but it takes a lot more prep work on my part.  Teaching chem is like slipping into an old, worn, totally familiar pair of slippers.  Particularly organic chem. :)

We don't really do analysis... though there's no reason we couldn't someday, but these discussions usually have enough strands to them that you can stick with the ones that work for you.

It is very discouraging when I leave a book waiting for long enough that I have to go back to the beginning.  *sigh*  ...but better than turning my reading into a chore...

I need a soothing, happy book for right before I sleep too... I've read most of my usual suspects a few times too often, and really need some more old favorites to rotate through.

Happy to find a fellow OChem fan (though I've never done enough to be qualified to teach it!) 

-one or two more of George Eliot's books (I thought Adam Bede would be one of the choices but after Eliana's comment I'm not sure)

Also, I might give Henry James another try during that challenge. Hey, I have 12 months to work up the motivation. At least it isn't Hemingway.   :lol:

I love your plans!

Adam Bede is, imho, amazing. ...painful in places, but amazing... not one of my 'best book ever' books (Middlemarch is), but very well worth reading. The only Eliot I don't like is Mill on the Floss (and that could be just who I was when I read it).  Many people find Romola drags, but I zipped through it with enthusiasm (that also could be who I was when I read it... I think I was in my early teens.  I know it was my first Eliot)

I tried Hemingway again after I read The Paris Wife a few (?) years ago, and was still very much not a fan... maybe I'll be up to trying again in 5-10 years...

...but James I am fond of.  Violet Crown made a fabulous point a while back that often school assign works (or best of lists recommend works) that aren't necessarily the best entry points for a given writer.

You'll have a cheering squad here and oodles of encouragement...but know that not reaching 52 isn't any kind of failure... the number doesn't really matter, it's the striving, the reaching for goals that speak to you...and then making them positive tools rather than oppressive tyrants... their *your* goals... and if you decide partway through the year to modify them, that's fabulous too...whatever enhances your reading!

Yes, this. Brava Eliana!

That is a very soothing observation.  I don't find Woolf the kind of hard I've been worried about with Ulysses  - her fiction is writing I need to give my full attention to, and to read in longer chunks...her letters and diaries are soothing to dip in and out of (I've only done abridged collections before, but this year I'm doing her complete letters and diaries... well, I'm starting them this year... not sure when I will finish.

...but, perhaps Ulysses will be more manageable than I've feared?  From the difficulty ratings Thomas gave the various chapters, I think chapter 3 will be the real test for me.

It was more just the style that reminded me of Woolf ..... too soon to tell about anything else.  But at least there will be one thing with which I'm familiar!  Whew!

I like how your describe Woolf's work as soothing.  I just loved reading her To The Lighthouse, although I think I was the only one who did in the Goodreads group who read it.

Like you, I don't want to read references and commentaries that will pull me away from the actual book but I am going to use this blog for some reference.  He has a number of posts that compare chapters/sections of Ulysses with the Odyssey.  They're condensed enough that they won't take too long to read and hopefully will give me a better understanding.  

Gah, can't keep up with this thread. My Zentangles pens arrived today, just waiting on the tiles and then I shall begin.

'Ahab's Wife' had been requested from the library. Such strong reactions to a book intrigue me. Eliana's reaction to 'The Steerswoman' intrigued me in a similar way and it's also on my tbr list. We'll see if my reactions match up.

'Deerskin' is proving to be an entertaining read thus far. The writing is peculiar though in that I feel as if there's a veil between the author and me. Perhaps it's because she's writing in the style of a fairy tale which often has that kind spacious distance about it. I've yet to really resonate with it.

And I really, really disliked Ahab's Wife.  Hated it.  Could not finish it.  It started well with lovely writing, but the story took a left turn at some point that annoyed me to no end.  I like a strong and capable female protagonist, but something about her or what the author did with her just rubbed me the wrong way.  

Ulysses is a book I've wanted to tackle since college, but this is not the season of my life for any serious reading.  It may be the season instead to visit Flufferton Abbey and finally try some Georgette Heyer!

Georgette Heyer is one of my all time favorites!  I started reading them with my mom as a young pre-teen or teenager.  I think I've read everything she's written.  I attribute my high intelligence and extraordinary vocabulary to growing up reading Georgette Heyer!  ;)  :D

If you haven't read her before, I'd start with The Grand Sophy.  It was the first one I ever read, and still the best!

Whew!  I've never cared for Shakespeare, either.  I've got your back, Rosie. :)

I think I read In Cold Blood a number of years ago.  I liked it but, then, I have a bit of a morbid streak.

Gah, can't keep up with this thread. My Zentangles pens arrived today, just waiting on the tiles and then I shall begin.

'Ahab's Wife' had been requested from the library. Such strong reactions to a book intrigue me. Eliana's reaction to 'The Steerswoman' intrigued me in a similar way and it's also on my tbr list. We'll see if my reactions match up.

if I hadn't of just packed it into the garage and now don't know where to find it, I would send you my copy. it is a visceral read and the story will capture you. At least it did me and I'm very picky about historical fiction.

2014 was rough around here, too; and the Imitation is my always go-to reading for life's rockiness. It doesn't show up on my list often because I seldom read from beginning to end. Anyway a ringing endorsement for Kempis.

VC, I have been reading Imitation for the past two years and I agree that this is a book to go to when life is rocky.  It has been soothing read for me.

I love your plans!

Adam Bede is, imho, amazing. ...painful in places, but amazing... not one of my 'best book ever' books (Middlemarch is), but very well worth reading. The only Eliot I don't like is Mill on the Floss (and that could be just who I was when I read it).  Many people find Romola drags, but I zipped through it with enthusiasm (that also could be who I was when I read it... I think I was in my early teens.  I know it was my first Eliot)

I tried Hemingway again after I read The Paris Wife a few (?) years ago, and was still very much not a fan... maybe I'll be up to trying again in 5-10 years...

...but James I am fond of.  Violet Crown made a fabulous point a while back that often school assign works (or best of lists recommend works) that aren't necessarily the best entry points for a given writer.

I must have mis-remembered when I was posting. I thought it was Adam Bede you said you didn't like; now that you posted again, I realized it was Mill on the Floss. I was thinking I'd try Adam Bede and/or Silas Marner

I did the same thing with Hemingway. I read The Paris Wife and enjoyed it. It made him seem more human. I still didn't care for the kind of human that he was, but it did make him seem less like a macho caricature. I thought it would make me better able to enjoy some of his work, but I tried again and just couldn't finish.

You reminded me that I copied and pasted Violet's Henry James post into a document, way back when she first posted it. I'll need to look over it again before diving into his work (if I even decide to do the challenge). 

Moby Dick: It took me about 20 years to "like" Moby Dick. Proof to me that many books are just not meant for us at certain times in our lives. Oh, and I can barely remember what happens when they leave port, so I wonder if I really "like" MD at all. The beginning is really beautiful in places. "...when it is a bleak November in my soul.." and all that. 

Ahab's Wife: Disliked it. Could not even finish it. Gave it away. 

I usually follow along with this challenge from Robin's blog, linking my reviews, but I'm going try to post here too this year.  I see a number of excellent plans going on.  I can't wait to get started!

ETA:

As for my challenges, I'm going to do:

52 Books in 52 Weeks

Jane Austen Project

Reading England 2015

Back To The Classics 2015

Pre-Printing Press Challenge 2015

TBR Pile Challenge 2015

The Canterbury/Brubury Tales read

Books in Translation Challenge 2015

Deal Me In Challenge 2015

And continued from last year:

C.S. Lewis Project

Don't gasp.  I participated in 15 challenges last year, so I am slowly cutting back! ;-)

Ooh! How fun!  I'll try to take a look at some of those when I get a chance... challenges can be so much fun!

I want to do another world lit challenge.  I think aiming again for books written by authors from 52 countries/regions would be good.  ...though I want to spend more time in Africa this year.

I'm trying to pull together a list for a Shakespeare's Contemporaries challenge - I did his apocrypha last year and his plays the year before...

I think I'll do A to Z again... well, I preferred doing it Z to A.  ....I need to sit down and make a list of the intentions that have been burbling about these past few weeks.  I should look at your translation and pre-printing press challenges (does it mean pre-printing press in Europe or in the country the book comes from?)

Cleo, btw, I am so glad you are joining in here!  Every now an again I've stopped by Robyn's blog, but I usually forget and just stop here... and I always love having you as part of a discussion.  :grouphug:

Any other Canadians here? Maybe we could do a Canadian author month?

Our around the world armchair travels will take us back to North America in the later part of the year so we'll get there more later than sooner. But don't let that stop you from delving into Canadian authors at any point. I promise others will jump in and join you as there are many rabbit trails going here, there, and everywhere. We did a Canadian author read a couple years back so lots of Life of Pi and Beatrice and Virgil discussions. I don't know if you remember when Yann Martel challenged Stephen Harper to read and sent him a book a month during his Term as Prime Minister. I had fun following that list for a while and reading the books from the list. On my iPad so can't link properly, but here is the link. I'll fix it when get back to regular computer.

http://guides.lib.montana.edu/content.php?pid=440687&sid=3942944

Moby is one of those books that grow on you and one to read chunks at a time. Give it a 30 to 50 page chance and see what happens, Of course it is also one of those books that just when it is getting interesting, takes a left turn and one is back to slogging through the dross to get to the meat. But totally understandable if you are ready after one page to stop if there isn't any incentive to continue reading. There have been many a "good" book that hasn't passed my first page test.

Oooh, that is good to know, love.  I don't think I've ever made it that far... though I caught bits and pieces when some of my kids were listening to the audio book ~8-10 years ago...

I am concerned that Ulysses actually seems doable with the Joyce Project web site and the Goodreads group.

I don't have time for this...the exact timeframe for the book overlaps with packing for a move, moving, and unpacking at the other end!

Yet it seems appealing and I'm afraid I won't get to it for a long time otherwise.

I'm sorry to have foisted the temptation upon you!  ...and good luck with your move.  I hope everything goes as smoothly and easily as possible.

Yes, I love Shakespeare... not just the way I love other works of literature, but in a deep, visceral way... Shakespeare isn't just some plays, his works are part of who I am

...and I love Rosie too and welcome her reactions to even my most beloved works.  ...because it's part of her reading journey and process.   ...and because I think we are a richer group for having such a diversity of opinions.

I think the only 'wrong' opinion someone could post here would be 'you guys shouldn't read so much' (though saying I myself should read less would be perfectly fair, or supporting someone else's plan to do more knitting and less reading...

I read Breakfast at Tiffany's too long ago and don't have a strong enough memory to have an opinion.  It is shelves in my mind with some of Collette's stories as well written, but more cynical than idealistic little me enjoyed at the time.   ...but since I've been appreciating Collette more, maybe I'd like it now?

Heyer is high on my comfort read lists (but only some of them!)  Cotillion is one of my favorites, and, I think, a nice starting place... but there are many lovely options

I'm going to join in - I have no problem hitting 52 books a year but I realized lately that I've gotten into a rut with what I read.  Not only has fiction has moved to the back shelf, but all my fiction is 'light reading' or re-reads - a far cry from my young self who would read just about anything.   I need a 'challenge' or two to keep me on track for more classics which is one of my new year's resolutions.  I posted another thread asking for 'starter' rec's but the author of the month thing might be just what I need to get going  - plus just reading this thread I'm already considering some books I wouldn't have.  Thanks!

Yes, being here has been very stretching, in the best possible way, and helped me not revert to more comfort reading than I really enjoy.  Welcome, honey!

...yikes!  it is almost Shabbos... I've been... not sick ,but not well today, so this afternoon has been a time of resting...and squeezing in time with you all before the quarter starts next week (and getting a bit of a head start on some of the coursework!)

[side note: I want to get a petition for more likes!  Running out is always so sad.    Likes to everyone! ]

...yikes! it is almost Shabbos... I've been... not sick ,but not well today, so this afternoon has been a time of resting...and squeezing in time with you all before the quarter starts next week (and getting a bit of a head start on some of the coursework!)

[side note: I want to get a petition for more likes! Running out is always so sad. Likes to everyone! ]

Hope you feel better, rest well. Hugs!

But you said you read 56 books?  26 and 16 equals 42 ....

Regards,

Kareni

I am bad at math  :laugh:

But I read some authors more than once, like Georgette Heyer, Alan Bradley, Suzanne Collins, and Joan Smith just to name a few.  I only counted them a single time in my final count.

Those of you that are new to Murakami & are trying out 1Q84, just be aware that it is a major chunkster of a book! I love it but it is well over 800 pages if I'm remembering correctly.

I think I've decided to shelve the idea of Murakami's Underground for now. I think I would find it a depressing way to start the year. Otoh, I've requested (from the library) what is probably his shortest work (only 96 pages), lol. I figure that's doable for me right now as I try to tackle some of my own stacks in the meantime.

The Strange Library

Btw, welcome everyone! It's always fun to meet new faces on the BaW thread!

I wasn't planning on joining the Murakami challenge, but I might be able to handle a 96 page one.  I just ordered it from the library.

Multi-quote just isn't working for me tonight  :glare:

I am bad at math  :laugh:

But I read some authors more than once, like Georgette Heyer, Alan Bradley, Suzanne Collins, and Joan Smith just to name a few.  I only counted them a single time in my final count.

Ah, that makes sense!

Happy New Year of reading books!

Regards,

Kareni

:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

I lost my open tab and had to come back to the thread through the Chat Board.  Oh! My!  I clicked on another thread. :eek:  I will NOT do that again!  Mantra to self:  I will only look at the Book a Week thread.  I will only look at the book a week thread ...!

Back to books and safety

I just finished the western historical romance Wild Burn by Edie Harris.

"Shoot first. Ask her name later.

Wild State, Book 1

Infamy weighs heavy on Delaney Crawford’s broad shoulders, first as a supposed Confederate turncoat, then as a relentless hunter of Cheyenne dog soldiers. Summoned to the small mining community of Red Creek, the exhausted, embittered Del is doing what he does best—ridding the town of its savage scourge—when one of his bullets misses the mark.

Ex-nun Moira Tully has been working with John White Horse for months to integrate a band of peaceful Cheyenne with the local townsfolk. Now he’s hurt, and she’s been caught in the crossfire. There’s only one man to blame for her simmering anger and the inexplicable attraction that tilts her heart on its axis. Del.

When Del is forced to acknowledge the truth that the Cheyenne are no threat, his task just gets more complicated: fighting a wild attraction that catches flame at the most inconvenient times, and figuring out the treacherous motives behind his hiring.

But the most heart-wrenching challenge could be overcoming sordid pasts that won’t stay in the past—pasts that threaten to bury all hope of happily ever after."

I believe this is the first book I've read by this author, and I enjoyed it.  It does have adult content.  Also, trigger warning: Be aware that the heroine had been raped prior to the beginning of the story.

Regards,

Kareni

Our around the world armchair travels will take us back to North America in the later part of the year so we'll get there more later than sooner. But don't let that stop you from delving into Canadian authors at any point. I promise others will jump in and join you as there are many rabbit trails going here, there, and everywhere. We did a Canadian author read a couple years back so lots of Life of Pi and Beatrice and Virgil discussions. I don't know if you remember when Yann Martel challenged Stephen Harper to read and sent him a book a month during his Term as Prime Minister. I had fun following that list for a while and reading the books from the list. On my iPad so can't link properly, but here is the link. I'll fix it when get back to regular computer.

http://guides.lib.montana.edu/content.php?pid=440687&sid=3942944

Thanks for the link!  I do vaguely remember that. :)

I'm always interested to follow Canada Reads each year.  Here's the link to this year's list of books:

http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads2015/

Both of those are on my TBR list. We love The Princess Bride movie in this house (none of us have read the book).

Dh read Unbroken. He finished before Christmas and is still talking about it. He really liked it. People who have read the book seem somewhat disappointed in the movie. 

I received As You Wish for Christmas and have already started it!  I'm enjoying it!  Any fan of The Princess Bride will, I think!

Yes, Robin, thanks for squeezing in Marco Polo among the monthly author flavors!

Yes, Eliana, I would love to do a Vonnegut read together this year! (I know Angel will be chomping at the bit to join us too! :laugh: )

:laugh: Oh! Yeah!  Totally! Can't wait!