Menu

Nothing New 2015 - Anyone wish to do a challenge with me?

Ginevra

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say, you may want to buy it :)

It is a computer program

http://www.youneedabudget.com/?gclid=CMjm94mv58ICFfIF7AodyFcAXQ

I tried mint which was free but seriously, it didn't help me as much as YNAB.  If you're interested, I could ask that they extend the black friday offer - they're customer service is outstanding!  

I LOVE YNAB! It's changed our lives, and I'm not exagerating!

their blog is great too!

I think what was key was having a plan for every dollar.  Zero based budgeting.  

That really changed the way I thought/think about money.  Before I would take whatever was left after paying bills, set aside some for groceries and be on my merry way.  Now I have a plan for new shoes, new car, whatever we need to buy that is new (here is where Quill's challenge comes in) that enabled us to buy new things because we budgeted for them.

Previous spending method was "See it, buy it, deal with it later".  I'm trying to move toward "Forsee the need for it, budget for it, save for it (if a big purchase) then buy it with no guilt"  :) knowing it was money well spent and planned for.

We cash flowed a trip to NYC because of YNAB.  We have NEVER paid for all of our vacation in cash before!  it was always part cash, part credit, and then a few months of paying it off.  It was so wonderful to not worry about it. And it makes it so easy to keep track of.  We tried mint, and another budget tool I can't remember.  They weren't worth the time it took to maintain them.

There is a free trial if anyone wants to try it!

ETA:  sorry to hijackt the thread!

We cash flowed a trip to NYC because of YNAB. We have NEVER paid for all of our vacation in cash before! it was always part cash, part credit, and then a few months of paying it off. It was so wonderful to not worry about it. And it makes it so easy to keep track of. We tried mint, and another budget tool I can't remember. They weren't worth the time it took to maintain them.

There is a free trial if anyone wants to try it!

ETA: sorry to hijackt the thread!

Okay, it might seem oxymoronic that I'm planning my first spend before the calendar even flips, but I am going to get YNAB! I can't download something like that at home (crappy internet), but I'm going to download it at my office tomorrow. I have used paper expense and income tracking for something like 12 years and the principle works, but it is definitely more tedious.

P.s. Yes, I can escape on the technicality that the year has not begun yet. ;)

It will pay you back in savings :) 

I've played around with it year before last and used it faithfully all of this year.  It is definitely worth the cost times two in my opinion.

Want me to email them and ask if they'll give a friend I've talked into buying the black Friday price?  I bet they would...

Okay, it might seem oxymoronic that I'm planning my first spend before the calendar even flips, but I am going to get YNAB! I can't download something like that at home (crappy internet), but I'm going to download it at my office tomorrow. I have used paper expense and income tracking for something like 12 years and the principle works, but it is definitely more tedious.

P.s. Yes, I can escape on the technicality that the year has not begun yet. ;)

It will pay for itself quickly. :)

I'm in - this challenge is just what I need!

Before I read this thread, I had already told my kids that for 2015 I would only buy new things for their birthday or Hanukkah. What I mean is, I will not buy a single thing for my kids (or myself or DH) unless it is absolutely necessary (a need not a want). We all have enough clothes, books, toys, etc. to last the entire year!

Prior to this, if my kids saw something they wanted, like a book, or an accessory to a hobby, or even an item of clothing, I would sometimes (oftentimes) buy it for them. I would frequently say no, and I wouldn't buy anything unless I approved of style/content/price/whatever... but still it's way too much.

Just today, we went to a local bookstore with gift cards from relatives, and ended up spending three times more than we should have (I paid the difference). Not a good life lesson for the kids!  :o

So...

I want to set up a better allowance/extra chore system for the kids and have them keep a list, and save for their own wants. No frivolous items allowed - books, hobby items, etc. are OK.

Only buy new items twice per year - once for birthday, once for Hannukah.

Budget better for groceries, and meal plan more efficiently. Buy fewer snacks.

Do not buy anything unless it's absolutely necessary!!  Say, if my coffee maker breaks, I will run speedy-quick to the nearest store and buy one ASAP.  :lol:

It will pay you back in savings :)

I've played around with it year before last and used it faithfully all of this year. It is definitely worth the cost times two in my opinion.

Want me to email them and ask if they'll give a friend I've talked into buying the black Friday price? I bet they would...

Sure!

I'm in - this challenge is just what I need!

Before I read this thread, I had already told my kids that for 2015 I would only buy new things for their birthday or Hanukkah. What I mean is, I will not buy a single thing for my kids (or myself or DH) unless it is absolutely necessary (a need not a want). We all have enough clothes, books, toys, etc. to last the entire year!

Prior to this, if my kids saw something they wanted, like a book, or an accessory to a hobby, or even an item of clothing, I would sometimes (oftentimes) buy it for them. I would frequently say no, and I wouldn't buy anything unless I approved of style/content/price/whatever... but still it's way too much.

Just today, we went to a local bookstore with gift cards from relatives, and ended up spending three times more than we should have (I paid the difference). Not a good life lesson for the kids! :o

So...

I want to set up a better allowance/extra chore system for the kids and have them keep a list, and save for their own wants. No frivolous items allowed - books, hobby items, etc. are OK.

Only buy new items twice per year - once for birthday, once for Hannukah.

Budget better for groceries, and meal plan more efficiently. Buy fewer snacks.

Do not buy anything unless it's absolutely necessary!! Say, if my coffee maker breaks, I will run speedy-quick to the nearest store and buy one ASAP. :lol:

Go for it.

You know, the foundations for this challenge did not grow mainly from an economical perspective (though it definitely addresses that); it grew mainly out of an ecological perspective. There was a poster here - I'm sorry I don't recall who, or the thread it was in - but the poster said something like, "We could probably all clothe everyone in the nation for ten years entirely by sharing the clothes we have stored in our closets, attics and basements." That post really stuck with me. There's a whole lot of truth in that. How many snow pants and soccer cleats and coats and pjs are stuck, unworn, in a bin? In the meantime, my neighbor might be rushing out to Walmart because snow is predicted and her son has outgrown last year's suit. How much better off we all could be if we just shared more?

This is how the idea of the challenge came about. Not just how much money I can save by seeking used or alternative sources, but how much better for all people and the earth if we are all passing things around more.

To get back to the topic that started it all, I'd like to link a Ted talk called Less stuff, more happiness (there are multiple Ted talks that are inspirational on this link)

https://www.ted.com/playlists/207/talks_to_watch_instead_of_shop

Was a great reminder to stop buying more stuff :)

The woman who does the talk on wearing nothing new - wow, what a great talk! Totally syncs with my way of thinking. Admittedly, I do not love the outfits she comes up with, however,

I have many clothes I have bought used that are beautiful and perfectly in sync with my style. Like literally no one would guess this shirt or that skirt came from Goodwill. It might be fun, actually, to pack no clothing the next time I take a trip. (Except undies. And socks. I must have fuzzy, warm socks because my feet are always cold!)

That piece isn't the interview piece I had hoped it would be. She was interviewed by one of the talk shows (can't remember which one now) where she talked more about what it felt like to live this way and how she and her husband actually SAVED $13,000 in the bank living this way in just that ONE year.

I will see if I can find it.

If I saved 13000 I would be living on about $150 a week after rent - $40 petrol, $25 insurance, $20 medical, $40 power. Guess it would work if I didn't eat.

Go for it.

You know, the foundations for this challenge did not grow mainly from an economical perspective (though it definitely addresses that); it grew mainly out of an ecological perspective. There was a poster here - I'm sorry I don't recall who, or the thread it was in - but the poster said something like, "We could probably all clothe everyone in the nation for ten years entirely by sharing the clothes we have stored in our closets, attics and basements." That post really stuck with me. There's a whole lot of truth in that. How many snow pants and soccer cleats and coats and pjs are stuck, unworn, in a bin? In the meantime, my neighbor might be rushing out to Walmart because snow is predicted and her son has outgrown last year's suit. How much better off we all could be if we just shared more?

This is how the idea of the challenge came about. Not just how much money I can save by seeking used or alternative sources, but how much better for all people and the earth if we are all passing things around more.

Yes, I totally get it.  :)  I just wanted to start somewhere manageable so I'd stick with it. Baby steps.

After we buy nothing new for a while, it'll be easier and more natural to reuse/recycle/buy used. I'm not trying to save money with this challenge, but rather bring to our attention how wasteful we are with our consumerism. Paying attention to spending and what we already own will get me and the kids thinking in the ecological direction, and hence acting upon it.

Thanks for bringing this up and helping me to further clarify it in my own head. 

Okay, so I've been reading the yoga pants thread and now I want some. So if I buy these before 2015, I'm still okay as far as this challenge goes, right?

P.S. I did start taking a yoga class at my local rec, so they are doubly justified if purchased before Jan. 1. ;)

All of my exercise pants, except one pair, came from St. Vincent de Paul or Goodwill, some were NWT. People donate all sorts of good stuff. Just last week I got two exercise skirts with compression shorts attached and neither had any signs of wear. Total cost: $7.70 with tax.

Quill - I know you said that you want to not buy things and not waste by purchasing excess, but to me when I read what you are thinking you ultimately would benefit from tackling things by approaching it from a delayed purchase perspective.  It sounds to me like you don't really mind having new things, or spending money, but it is the wasting that is happening in your life in this area that bothers you.  Waiting and always ALWAYS doing some comparison shopping before buying ANYTHING would help in this area significantly.

Also, having a goal for what all this money you are saving is going towards helps to give internal encouragement.  I know when we had the goal of paying off the mortgage in 5 years (or redoing the kitchen in two) it was a satisfying enough goal for me to be inspired to wait and skip buying unnecessary things.  When we haven't had something like that as an underlying goal the satisfaction of the purchase doesn't have a counterbalance and I buy more.

If the bins of unused clothes are bothering you, then you actually do want to be more minimalist.  Start putting your unused things on craigslist.  Or find a family from the neighborhood or church that has kids the right sizes.  Putting useful things to use in other peoples' lives (and out of being unuseful in your own life) is satisfying and addictive in its own rewarding way.

All of my exercise pants, except one pair, came from St. Vincent de Paul or Goodwill, some were NWT. People donate all sorts of good stuff. Just last week I got two exercise skirts with compression shorts attached and neither had any signs of wear. Total cost: $7.70 with tax.

I agree! I find some good clothing (and other) items at thrift stores. Most of my current workout clothes (shorts and sweats) were from the thrift store or my son's hand-me-downs (t-shirts). :) I haven't been able to find compression pants or yoga pants that were in good condition, though. I've been able to find good deals on running tights at Target, but it sounds like from the other thread that Target isn't a good place to buy yoga pants.

Quill - I know you said that you want to not buy things and not waste by purchasing excess, but to me when I read what you are thinking you ultimately would benefit from tackling things by approaching it from a delayed purchase perspective. It sounds to me like you don't really mind having new things, or spending money, but it is the wasting that is happening in your life in this area that bothers you. Waiting and always ALWAYS doing some comparison shopping before buying ANYTHING would help in this area significantly.

Also, having a goal for what all this money you are saving is going towards helps to give internal encouragement. I know when we had the goal of paying off the mortgage in 5 years (or redoing the kitchen in two) it was a satisfying enough goal for me to be inspired to wait and skip buying unnecessary things. When we haven't had something like that as an underlying goal the satisfaction of the purchase doesn't have a counterbalance and I buy more.

If the bins of unused clothes are bothering you, then you actually do want to be more minimalist. Start putting your unused things on craigslist. Or find a family from the neighborhood or church that has kids the right sizes. Putting useful things to use in other peoples' lives (and out of being unuseful in your own life) is satisfying and addictive in its own rewarding way.

This is one thing that has been undefined for several years, so yes, I think you are right about that. We are debt-free and have an emergency fund. We have decent savings and investments. All these things are good, but it does result in undefined goals. This is what I like about the YNAB plan.

There is an outlook in the lifestyle of Minimalism that I don't identify with. It starts to look like a competition for who can be the most extreme. "Oh, you sold your 4,000 sq. ft. home and bought one half the size? Pfff! Amateur! I built a 68 sq. ft. home out of the wood from my neighbor's goat barn." KWIM? I am not of the view that smaller/less is always better.

That makes me claustrophobic just thinking about it!

We are considering downsizing our house next year.  We are still in the talking stages.    Ideally, I would like to downsize but find a home with unfinished space that could be finished should we need it, like an attic or basement area.  

This is one thing that has been undefined for several years, so yes, I think you are right about that. We are debt-free and have an emergency fund. We have decent savings and investments. All these things are good, but it does result in undefined goals. This is what I like about the YNAB plan.

There is an outlook in the lifestyle of Minimalism that I don't identify with. It starts to look like a competition for who can be the most extreme. "Oh, you sold your 4,000 sq. ft. home and bought one half the size? Pfff! Amateur! I built a 68 sq. ft. home out of the wood from my neighbor's goat barn." KWIM? I am not of the view that smaller/less is always better.

I don't identify with that part either.  My family is buying a bigger house, so I would lose! :lol:  (Only going up to about 2500 sqf, but considerably bigger than what we have!)  I don't think our little discussion group is competitive, hopefully you aren't referring to us!  I get what you are saying though, and it's precisely why I don't like Dave Ramsey or Mr Money Mustache.  I hate absolutes in general.

Minimalism to me is living with less.  Trying to have only what I love and use.  It's not a competition at all.  I don't have time for that. :)

The blog Becoming Minimalist has been wonderful for my family.  Also, the art of simple.  They aren't minimalists for minimalist's sake.  They are minimalist because they love the freedom it gives.

Here's Becoming Minimalist.  I really think he jives with what you are going for here! http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

One thing we do is to not just buy stuff on the spot. We put stuff we want on a list. This forces us to think about it rather than impulse buy. Then once it's on the list we can think though all the ways to get it or rather get/solve whatever it is that prompted us to put it on the list. Many things just leave the list because the next morning or week I wonder why I ever thought I needed/wanted/could possibly ever use a cupcake holder thingymajigger. Delete.

I planned and started a buy nothing "unneeded" year (2006 or perhaps 2007 IIRC) but ultimately realized it was pointless. The stuff I was trying to solve, the thinking I was trying to shift was aided more by a very concrete goal in an area that was somewhat hard for me to address.

This is how I've approached the last year. I already shop used for a lot of things, but I prioritized what I'd spend money on and then shopped around. For some things the priority was to buy new as an investment. Like I'll need a new sofa this year, but I want one from IKEA and while I see some good deals at thrift stores, I'm trying to think more intentionally, part of that is I don't want a huge sofa and I'd like all my furniture to be able to be moved by two people max. 

My mom and I have a couple of thrift stores we frequent. The key for me is to know what I need,  look for that item(s) only and not pick up extras while I'm there. 

I might define my challenge like that. Everything new must go on the list and be held there for a period of time before purchase. 

I like the idea of not purchasing new but I honestly don't think I can do it. I've read the Levine book and that was interesting. I have the complete Tightwad Gazette and I think it's time for a reread of that one to help me get into a mindset of "less."

I will be following these threads. Hopefully they will help me solidify my thoughts on how to be more mindful about what we already have and what we spend money on.

Quill, I do understand you.  One of my goals was getting my son through college without debt.  Having achieved that, I have yet to re-prioritize our financial goals--something that needs to be done regularly anyway with the ebb and flow of life.

I approach purchases differently than some here because I am in a different financial position to do so.  For example, with regard to wardrobe, I determine those items that I need then buy good quality pieces that will last.  My goal is reduce my wardrobe to items that function well in my life--not necessarily based on the best deals.  I wear a weird shoe size and need arch support.  I don't waste my money on cheap shoes.

I subscribe to one minimalism board less for the one-up-man-ship (easy to ignore those threads) but for the financial savvy demonstrated by some posters. 

I have very different ideas on food than some minimalists, for example.  I don't go for cheapest.  Supporting the local economy is really important to me, so I buy from local farmers and fishmongers.  I probably go through more convolutions than some to avoid big boxes.

So here is the deal on minimal:  some focus on washing plastic zip bags (which I of course do as an environmentalist) while others focus on low expense ratios on mutual funds.  I think all of us need to glean what is necessary for the phases of our lives, our financial situations etc., i.e. be minimal in our use of minimalism advice.

Looking forward to hear how YNAB works for you!  I have not tried it.

I'm doing the no gifts unless it's a holiday or birthday for the girls (now to get grandma and nana in on this is not going to happen) and not buying unless it's needed or will meet our goals (like a . I'm just tired of all the stuff the girls accumulate especially dd1. In fact I did a major purge of thier room 3 weeks ago and need to do it again but I'm doing the 52 week declutter challenge so the house is clutter free when I start my core nursing classes.

I have downloaded YNAB and started setting it up. I can tell I am going to love this thing. It sets up pretty much exactly like I had on a paper system, but obviously, digitized is easier.

Cool excerpt! You know what my first thought was? "i want to download her book!" ;) But no...I'll see if I can reserve at the library...and that is exactly the point of why I want to do this.

That was my first thought too... Going to check my library system in a moment.

As 

for a no spend year, I can't commit to that but I am commit to a LOWER spend year.  In January for example I am finally buying myself a new mattress set.  I have not had a bed to sleep on for 2 years. I spent a year sleeping on the couch and when the couch broke I just moved the cushions onto the floor and that is where I have slept for another year.  I am getting a small grant from work (part of an initiative by  the gov't to get people who left this field to come back.  I had to put in a minimum # of hours per month for 12 months and then I get 1/2 of the grant, and after another 12 months I get the other half.) SO I am getting a bed finally.  ANd I am starting laser hair removal, which is not cheap but with the amount fo growth I have very important to my mental well being.  I am also renovating the kids bedrooms, as in new floors (though I am likely just going to do paperbag flooring), new closet systems and of course paint, and decor.  So have to spend for that but something needed, the kids rooms are in bad repair, and have not been painted or updated since the 70s.  So it's time.  And I am putting in a fence this summer.

Ultimately though those are well thought out planned purchases.  I am committed to no random purchases, impulse buys etc.  I have to save a big amount of money to pay for out sailing trip by the Nov 1 deadline (trip not until april 2016), and have to pay for my college classes, and have debts to pay down/off.  I need to stop my frivolous spending habits to make that possible, while I still have this income(will drop significantly in 2.5 years and would like to be as close to debt free with upgrades done on the house prior to that.)  

I am starting a notebook for 2015 that I will record every purchase in, tape in receipts etc even for that $1 pack of gum and track what I am spending on so that I can correct myself quickly when I see myself straying off course rather than being surprised that I am broke again kwim.

So I will be spending, but intelligent, reasonable purchases.  This also helps with my goal of becoming a minimalist and not having more stuff in the house.  If I am not buying it I won't have it here to clutter up the place.

So the more I think about this, the more I wonder how realistic this is when we will be buying our first home. 

Am I setting myself up for failure? 

Not at all.  In fact, it will help to be mindful during and after the move on maintaining the big picture. Yeah, you'll be buying stuff because the house will require it. I felt like we were going to the hardware/garden store every other day after we bought our first place.  Maybe resolve to make deliberate and not impulse purchases?

Runninmom, and anyone else on the fence because there are things you know you must buy: join in anyway. I fully expect there will be things I need to buy. It's even probable that there will be things I DON'T need to buy, but I will, because a) I am not a perfect person, and b) we are not in dire straits. It's a challenge, but it's not carved on a stone tablet and given on Mt. Sinai, Kwim?

My goal is to explore the outer edges of what is possible. So, while OTOH I have given myself the escape hatch that gifts are not part of the challenge, OTOH I have my nephew's wedding in the back of my mind, just sitting there waiting to see if The Universe surprises me with a great gift that does not cost a traditional amount of money. I know such things happen and I believe in serendipity. If it doesn't work out that way and I end up buying them a soup terrine in their china pattern, well, then, no harm done. But the challenge, for me, is about seeing alternatives and not just mindlessly buying my way around situations.

DH and the kids went ice skating today.  I almost started to explain to them how I'm on this forum with all these hs moms.  One of them got a great idea to post about a no-spend challenge and wouldn't they like to see our bank account grow instead of spending the afternoon ice skating with friends and eating pizza at an outdoor mall.

Then I realized...this is a personal challenge for me.  The rest of the family isn't on board.  I'm still trying to get them to make their beds every day, read the bible and help set the table.

(I bet I saved a bit today by not going to town to do my grocery shopping and making due with the local shop.  It has alot of stuff we don't normally buy so I was being especially picky and only spent $50 instead of $300 or so).  Now that being said I'm sure I'll be in another store or 2 this week but at least today we were well fed and saved.

I can't do a no buy year but I look forward to reading how everyone else does cutting down. I need to do some thinking about setting some realistic goals- dd is going to Japan to study for four months and I'll need to buy some things for her. Ds is going off to college and I have to buy a few things for him (but since it's a military school, he won't need much. They won't let him bring much at all!) 

A couple of years ago we as a family made an effort to cut back on book purchases, and this year I bought NO books other than a few as gifts for other people. I've used the library almost exclusively since we started this challenge but this was the first year I didn't buy ANY books for myself, nor did I let dh or the kids buy any for me.  That is a HUGE change for me, and it's so freeing. So I'm on a quest to find the next challenge that I can embrace like I have the book challenge. 

Do you travel? Because that's where we're spending money and though I have no intention of limiting my travel, I do want to be more mindful of what I spend when we do travel.  Dh and I do GREAT when it's just us but if we have kids or grandkids with us....hoo boy. Budget seems to break the moment we leave the driveway. 

Managermom - I've only read the first few entries but she is quite funny!  I actually laughed out oud :)

and

Quill - yay!  I was coming on to let you know YNAB isn't responding to emails right now due to the holidays but good for you on buying it.  I am sure you'll find it a worthy investment.  You know there are tons of videos on their site as well as getting started segments and a huge forum and blog?

Do you travel? Because that's where we're spending money and though I have no intention of limiting my travel, I do want to be more mindful of what I spend when we do travel.  Dh and I do GREAT when it's just us but if we have kids or grandkids with us....hoo boy. Budget seems to break the moment we leave the driveway. 

Annie, I am in your club!  I finally got an airline affiliate credit card but I am so cash/debit oriented that I forget to use the darn card.

When my son was young, I would often present him with options:  Do you want (fill in the blank) or would you rather save money for a flight to (wherever)?  Travel won every single time. 

Did any of you see "no impact man?" It's a documentary about a man who tried to diminish his carbon footprint over the course of a year. (So he made progress as the year went on) I watched it a few years ago and found it really inspiring.

I did.  (I actually think it's on Prime streaming right now.)  There's also a book by the same name which I really enjoyed.  No way am I ready to be that hardcore, but I admire people who are willing to really push the limits on something like that.  

Speaking of hardcore, I'm trying to remember where I read this:  The writer was talking about not buying things, and her example was hair elastics.  She couldn't understand why anyone would ever buy one when she saw them tossed away everywhere.  In the street, on the floor in stores, wherever.  So for a month she picked up every hair band she saw, and ended up with some crazy number.  Then, rather than buy new ones, she just used the ones she had found.  I don't know why, but this seemed totally incomprehensible to me!  Lol.  I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to use someone else's hair elastic that I found in the gutter.  Ewww.  Things like this are why I need to challenge myself.  Lol.  Anyway, does that story sound familiar to anyone?  I was thinking maybe it was in the Zero Waste Home book.

I don't think that was in Zero waste home; I read that book and don't recall that story. I don't think I could use a random hair elastic in order to not buy them. I even reject MY OWN hair elastics when they get too flaccid to hold my lion's mane of hair.

I can't do a no buy year but I look forward to reading how everyone else does cutting down. I need to do some thinking about setting some realistic goals- dd is going to Japan to study for four months and I'll need to buy some things for her. Ds is going off to college and I have to buy a few things for him (but since it's a military school, he won't need much. They won't let him bring much at all!)

A couple of years ago we as a family made an effort to cut back on book purchases, and this year I bought NO books other than a few as gifts for other people. I've used the library almost exclusively since we started this challenge but this was the first year I didn't buy ANY books for myself, nor did I let dh or the kids buy any for me. That is a HUGE change for me, and it's so freeing. So I'm on a quest to find the next challenge that I can embrace like I have the book challenge.

Do you travel? Because that's where we're spending money and though I have no intention of limiting my travel, I do want to be more mindful of what I spend when we do travel. Dh and I do GREAT when it's just us but if we have kids or grandkids with us....hoo boy. Budget seems to break the moment we leave the driveway.

OMG, not buying or DLing books will be HARD. It has already reared its ugly head and it's not even January yet! I read a great book from the library last week, Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the search for the American Dream.. Getting it from the library in the first place was a discipline. Then, having finished it and deemed it worthy, I want to buy my own copy. Why? I have no idea! i am certainly not going to re-read it soon, if at all. My kids aren't interested in reading it, though

I think they would benefit AND if they did want to, they can get it from the library just as readily. It's just really hard to not buy a book I like and/or find useful!

I don't travel a lot at present, but that is a category where i hope to expand spending in the next few years.

My library kind of hates me because I request the most books from interlibrary loan.  I find a book I want to read and request it- some library in this state is bound to have it and about $200 a year of our property taxes goes to the library. 

Not sure how digital books falls into your challenge- it's not bringing something physical into the house, so it's more like paying for an experience.  Since your goal isn't necessarily to save money, digital might be ok. 

How would you feel about theatre or concert tickets? Not something physical, but you sure can't buy used. As a quality of life thing, I am not giving up that sort of thing, though we are more thoughtful when we choose to spend money on tickets. 

My library kind of hates me because I request the most books from interlibrary loan. I find a book I want to read and request it- some library in this state is bound to have it and about $200 a year of our property taxes goes to the library.

Not sure how digital books falls into your challenge- it's not bringing something physical into the house, so it's more like paying for an experience. Since your goal isn't necessarily to save money, digital might be ok.

How would you feel about theatre or concert tickets? Not something physical, but you sure can't buy used. As a quality of life thing, I am not giving up that sort of thing, though we are more thoughtful when we choose to spend money on tickets.

For myself, I do not intend to DL digital books unless they are free or borrowable. It is true that it doesn't create physical clutter, but it is still obeying a "craving" that I want to discipline myself out of. I don't have a craving problem with theater or shows. My teens and I will see a Broadway show once a year - obviously not inexpensive, but not something I am quitting. I may see one other local show with DD in a year. We see movies in-theater about 3 times a year, so also not an expense that I consider excessive, or that we cannot afford. We don't really attend concerts at all, except free local types or school concerts.