Menu

What am I doing wrong here? When we switch as a family to a veggie based diet, we all feel like we're starving.

momee

Will our food needs/satisfaction quota change over time? Are we simply going through a withdrawl type syndrome and need to just stick with it longer?

Even the "hard-core" adults here (me and dh) end up giving in to dairy/meat because we're ... hungry.  That could be my fault that I don't cook often enough.  I can make a huge thing of Dal and brown rice and noses are up :)  They want steak, lol

I'm thinking of hiring a nutritionist because we have some with minor weight issues (regular SAD results mostly) and FIL has diabetes.  I have two teens and a slightly picky 6 yo.  I'm at the end of solutions and don't want to be the buzz kill at the dinner table every meal, kwim?

FIL subbing sugar for multiple packs of nutrasweet isn't my idea of healthy but there's no changing MIL and FIL on the powdered creamer and pink packs of "sugar" every day anyway.   Everything he gets that is "sugar free" has a list of chemicals half the container long.  I'm DEFINITELY sold on the no chemicals and try to stay away from GMOs so we do well there, I think.  

Back to the point, I know, we should add more avocados and fats - and I try to but most don't like just eggs or avocados.

When I signed us up for emeals and previously the Fresh 20 neither seemed enough of a meal to satisfy anyone.  I ended up doing the veggie AND Paleo plans through emeals and that was good but OH MY, so much meat :(  DH and I felt worse with all that meat actually!

Looking at the Fresh 20 I can't imagine giving my guys a bowl of soup and a salad and calling that dinner.

IMO (and many vegetarians will attest to and suggest this) if you're going to go vegetarian or vegan, you should supplement some B vitamins and possibly others. I believe the Hallelujah Acres people talk about (and sell) these necessary supplements. I don't personally think a vegetarian diet is a great diet for growing children--maybe with lots of eggs--but the reason they are hungry is mostly missing fats. So, avocados, nuts and seeds are your options, and any of the myriad of healthy oils.

I don't know why you're choosing vegetarian but if you're willing to reconsider, I would just greatly increase your families vegetable consumption (gently cooked and raw), add in healthy fats, good quality meats and some gluten free grains and small red potatoes and see where you get with that. I'm talking serving 4-5 vegetables at a meal (eg, sauerkraut, a veggies side dish cooked, a carrot or kale salad, and mixed veggies in a soup or soup-based mix with meats). Going on a strict diet plan which is arguably not very nutrient dense for growing children can be less than optimal. Kids need fats and proteins. Beans alone are not a complete protein (not saying that's what you're doing) and I personally think we underestimate the need for good quality fats for the human brain. But, I'm not a vegetarian in case you didn't get that yet. :)

Best of luck! It's so hard to cook healthfully for a family these days. :-/

I am a vegetarian :)
Dal is a fantastic protein source but a hard starting point for non-vegetarians.

We do a whole lot of black bean and sweet potato dishes here.

Eggs we sneak into casseroles (broccoli-rice is an easy one), lasagnas, and mmmmmm waffles.

Feta and spinach anything is also delicious.  Pasta, pizza, omelet....

Since the transition is difficult I'd maybe make sure to incorporate lots of comfort foods. Chili is very satisfying.  Potato soup or corn chowder. 

Why not eat meat/dairy with controlled portion sizes? We went Vegetarian for 3 months to try to help DH lose weight. He gained 8 lbs. He went on a high protein/very low carb diet & has lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I was a Vegetarian for many, many years and could never gain weight. I have discovered on DH's high protein diet, I gain weight VERY quickly. DD14 is the same as me & DS12 is more like his Dad. DD and I obviously need more plant based diet & DS/DH need protein based.

Your bodies are telling you what they need and everyone's nutritional needs are different.

Fats & proteins will help. They stick with you longer. 

I do find I need to eat more frequently if I am eating mostly veggies, especially if I am not getting enough fat and protein. So, perhaps incorporate more scheduled snacks in your routine? Nut bowls?

And, of course, expect to eat a much larger volume of food if it is mostly vegetables than if you were eating meat and dairy!

Dried beans/legumes are very hearty, too. Vegetarian chili is very hearty and filling. 

We are a vegetarian family, even DS (11) who has never eaten meat (except fish. Don't ask me how it's different). He is very athletic and energetic and I can assure you very healthy. :)

I made the switch almost 25 years ago, but don't recall a big change in hunger. I do agree that eating a light brothy soup and small salad won't fill anyone up, but even those two dishes alone can be very satisfying if they pack in enough protein and bulk. Of course that's far from your only choices but I'm sure you know that!

One thing I notice many people struggle with (vegetarians and non alike) is eating too many carbs, and that can definitely lead to feeling hungry. Even things you think are healthy (hello rice) can send blood sugars soaring--and then crashing, leaving you famished. Adding more proteins and fats can help remedy that, and of course avoiding too many simple carbs to begin with.

Do you eat fish? Incorporating seafood into your diets a couple times a week might help win over those family members who are jonesing for steak.

Not knowing your reasons for going vegetarian, I will say it's not the only way to eat healthier. Just as with diets that include meat it can be balanced and healthful, but simply cutting out meat isn't the magic bullet. And I firmly believe it's a personal choice; forcing those not on board isn't sending the right message IMO. (not judging)

Try gradually reducing instead of cold-turkey, and incorporate more vegetable sources of protein and fat into your diet while doing so. Legumes and rice wouldn't satisfy me either unless they were cooked with some fat, and I would end up eating more calories than if I'd just gone ahead and added some fat in the first place. I'd also really recommend increasing veggies instead of just going with beans and rice.

I have PCOS, and am therefore insulin resistant to a degree.  I spent almost a decade as a vegetarian in my teens and part of college. 

When I eat grains, beans, carbs in general, I feel hungrier afterward than if I hadn't eaten at all.  This is common with people who are on the more insulin resistant end of the spectrum.  I could eat a large bagel with cream cheese in college and be literally famished an hour later.  It took several more years until I was diagnosed, and only then did I realize in retrospect why I was so hungry when I ate a carbier meal.  Breakfast cereal, rice, pasta, bread, etc. always left me hungrier than if I hadn't eaten.

FWIW, I am not overweight and have never been overweight, and am still insulin resistant due to PCOS.  I do much better on a lower carb WOE (grassfed/pastured meats when possible, eggs, lots of green veggies, avocados, avocado oil. some nuts, lower carb squashes like spaghetti squash and delicatas, mashed cauliflower, etc.).  If I went back to eating higher carb foods I can guarantee I could pack on weight quickly. 

In particular, I would be really reluctant to put the diabetic FIL on a vegetarian diet unless I was very careful about making sure his nutritional needs were being met (e.g., many diabetics will do better with more energy coming from fat than from carbs as carbs necessitate insulin while fat does not).

At the very least, I would start counting the carb/protein/fat grams of what you are serving/what they are eating so that you can figure out what everyone needs more of (myfitnesspal.com) and realizing that different family members may need different proportions.

I find that:  

--I need a good protein source at every meal.  Legumes, nuts, eggs.

--I need to be careful about simple carbs.  Swapping in brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc. instead of their white equivalent makes a huge difference in how full I feel, and how long I can go before eating again.

--Even when carbs are whole grain, I need to limit them. I tend to base my meals around the veggies, accent with the protein, and include a small amount of carbs.  For example, if I have rice and veggies, there is at least as much veggies as there is rice, if  not significantly more.  

--I tend to use fruit as a snack in between meals.  A nice big, crisp apple can really fill me up.
--Speaking of which, I pay attention to fiber.  Something with lots of fiber (apples, blueberries, eggplant) will fill me up much better than something with not very much (lettuce). 
--I much prefer to eat hot, cooked veggies than a cold salad.  A salad just isn't as filling as a good, hearty bowl of rice and veggies and protein.
--I try to be aware of calories.  A bowl of soup or a salad can very WIDELY, calorie-wise.  This may be part of your problem.  Veggies are very low in calories, so you need a LOT more on your plate to have enough for a full meal's worth of calories.

All that said, yes, you DO have to cook!  It's much easier to eat a whole foods, plant-based diet if you aren't relying on prepackaged foods.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  Think about cooking in larger batches, so you have leftovers for lunch the next day.  A rice cooker can be your best friend - put on a batch of brown rice while you saute some veggies, add some legumes, and you've got a meal.  

For lunch, burritos/wraps made with whole wheat tortillas are a great option - everyone can fix their own the way they like it, then just have each person microwave their plate.  The fixings can be kept in the fridge; change it up as you finish various ingredients so you always have a variety.  You can either make pre-made filling mixes (beans, tomatoes, peppers, etc. - don't limit yourself to "Mexican" flavors), or have pre-sliced veggies to choose from.  

Have plenty of fresh fruit on hand for snacking.

I'm not familiar with the specific meal plans you're mentioning but I'm vegan. Dh & kids are too. I was vegetarian since my teens & transitioned to veganism several years ago.

I have several ideas:

1) It's ok to be a bit hungry sometimes. If your meal plans are calorie calibrated, it's possible that you're in a small calorie deficit. Even if your just set at maintenance, it's not unusual to feel a bit hungry between meals & before bed. This is just something to get used to, like a bit of muscle soreness after exercise. It's ok to be a bit hungry.

2) eat unlimited amounts of fresh veg. Careful with fruits as they add up in calories. Make sure there are carrot sticks, cucumber sticks or fresh salads available in the fridge all the time. Also consider adding green smoothies.

3 ) a small bit of nuts & seeds pack a whole lot of punch.

4) learn to cook with tofu & get comfortable with adding it to things. The right tofu can make sauces decadently creamy while adding protein with few calories & no cholesterol.

5) make sure any grains you have are whole grain carbs such as oatmeal or a really dense bread like squirrely brand

6) the book & website Forks Over Knives has tons of great ideas

7) SOUP. Soups are filling & round out a meal. So not just salad but soup & a salad & a slice of whole grain bread.

*****   8) My #1 tip for hard core omni's transitioning:

consider making meals that look like 'meat & potato & veg' when transitioning. My dh was an omni for a long time & grew up on British meat & veg cooking.  Lentil patties & lentil meatloaf,  'burgers' , vegetarian shepherd's pie, & serving it all with veg gravy & mashed or roast potatoes is something that he really enjoys. If you can afford it, Gardein brand (in the freezer section) makes faux meats which, esp if you add gravy, are really incredibly good. Field Roast (often beside the tofu, either in the dairy or the veg section) is another meaty but vegetarian product. They make roasts and sausages. I don't like them at all because they're way too meaty. Field Roast is soy free btw..

Some people can switch to really unprocessed plant based quickly. Others need time with transitioning (& others just stay here, that's ok) . It's OK to do it this way.

IMO, it's absolutely way better to eat slightly processed veg diets than to eat meat.  So I'd really be looking at regular recipes & trying to alter them to a veg. You can find veganized recipes of everything - mac & cheese, lasagna etc. 

Happy Herbivore (I've never done her meal plans, I just check her recipes & books)
Forks Over Knives

Here's the Thanksgiving menu & recipes from Mercy For Animals:   It's definitely not a 'salad for dinner'  :)  Parts of this could be a special weekend dinner for ex.
Choose Veg

Carbs are not evil. McDougall has gotten type-2 diabetics off insulin on a starch based diet so let's just get that out of the way. My kids are also healthy and growing as one would expect. There are lots of healthy veg*n growing kids out there who thrive as veg*ns. The point is what one can stick with (and it has nothing to do with blood type either). Adherence is key - there is no "one ideal diet to rule them all."

You don't need to supplement with "b vitamins." If you're vegan you need B12 which can be easily addressed with fortified non-dairy milk. If you eat dairy and eggs you don't to supplement with B12. You may need to add supplementary calcium and you'll likely need a vitamin d supplement, but again those can come from a glass or two a day of a fortified plant milk. Most veg*ns would have a very small list of supplements you might want to take - particularly if they don't sell supplements themselves.

So, if this is what you like best, tell me what you've been eating. I wasn't impressed with what eMeals thought was a good vegetarian meal so I wouldn't necessarily let that be your measure. What has a typical meal looked like for you? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

For me, fiber is king far more than protein or fat. It's far too easy for me to overeat protein (makes me more hungry in the long run) and fat (very little volume for a lot of calories). Fiber, on the other hand, is incredibly difficult to overeat. Whole grains, potatoes, beans, rice, quinoa, millet, oats, etc.

It might also be an issue of not eating enough. McDougall is ad libitum within his diet. If you're hungry, have more.

We do eat meat at most dinners, but in order that we aren't eating huge portions of meat in order to feel full, we eat a lot of veggies with fats added -- salads with bleu cheese, walnuts, and homemade vinaigrettes made with olive oil or Caesar salad with parmesan cheese and dressing made with olive oil; broccoli roasted with olive oil with parmesan cheese added; mashed cauliflower with butter and milk added; green veggies with plenty of butter added or used for cooking. . . Lots of natural fats.

Definitely add more protein and fats to your diet if you are feeling hungry. They tend to "stick to your ribs" longer than carbs. Not that carbs are bad, but try to make them complex carbohydrates.Try adding a little olive oil to your veggies (they are really yummy tossed with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, roasted in the oven!). Maybe add some flaxseed or walnut oil to smoothies. Nuts, seeds and legumes are always good (don't forget good, old fashioned peanut butter). Avocados are yummy with some lemon juice, salt and pepper, added to salads or sandwiches. For a sweet tooth, you can make a delicious chocolate mousse with silken tofu, melted dark chocolate (or semi-sweet chocolate chips), and Greek yogurt. 

My husband and I were vegetarians for several years, and even now we don't eat a lot of meat.  But, I don't think I could have done it without legumes.  They substitute as meat for us.  Black beans are our favorite, although we find that garbanzo beans are the best substitute for meat in things like stews and soups.  Legumes leave us feeling full and content, and we eat them a lot.  :)

My kids are are on various diets for health reasons.  One daughter tried paleo and didn't feel good with it.  (Even though my son swears by it.)  She tried vegetarian, and that was better but still not quite right.  She is now on a version of the Mediterranean diet, and that fits her the best.  She feels so much better now, and has lost weight too (even though that wasn't her main reason for doing it).  On that diet, she eats lean meats.  She is mostly gluten-free, but is not obsessive about it.  She does feel a LOT better without gluten.

I think part of the problem is it's not working because there aren't enough foods in the category of vegetarian that your family likes to eat.  I'm definitely in that category.  I love vegetables.  So it's not that.  But all the beans and rice and stuff like that...I can't stand most of it.  I don't like avocados or feta cheese or pretty much any assertive tasting foods.  I'd wither as a vegetarian. 

What about something like whole foods?  The only thing I find with some of the whole food websites though is some people like to eat a lot of baked goods.  I guess they figure if they make homemade muffins that is healthier than packaged muffins and so they are set.  That wouldn't work for me.  I don't do well with too many carbs.  But the basic concept is you avoid too many highly processed foods. 

I think J-rap kinda touched upon the fact different things work for different people.  What seems good in theory won't really work or last if people are miserable doing it.

It's okay to reduce your meat consumption before you eliminate it entirely. It is possible to have a healthy vegetarian diet from birth. There are people who have been doing that for centuries :) However, you're not one of those people. It might be better to have an easier goal - say, reducing from having meat as a main dish 2 meals a day to having meat as a smaller dish, or as flavoring in a bigger dish. Then to only having meat one meal a day, then only every other day, and so on. Baby steps.

You don't need to supplement with "b vitamins." If you're vegan you need B12 which can be easily addressed with fortified non-dairy milk. If you eat dairy and eggs you don't to supplement with B12. You may need to add supplementary calcium and you'll likely need a vitamin d supplement, but again those can come from a glass or two a day of a fortified plant milk.

Why are we afraid to write out the V-word? Also, doesn't consuming fortified anything just mean that the supplements you 'don't need' have been artificially added to the food?

Will our food needs/satisfaction quota change over time? Are we simply going through a withdrawl type syndrome and need to just stick with it longer?

Even the "hard-core" adults here (me and dh) end up giving in to dairy/meat because we're ... hungry.  That could be my fault that I don't cook often enough.  I can make a huge thing of Dal and brown rice and noses are up :)  They want steak, lol

I'm thinking of hiring a nutritionist because we have some with minor weight issues (regular SAD results mostly) and FIL has diabetes.  I have two teens and a slightly picky 6 yo.  I'm at the end of solutions and don't want to be the buzz kill at the dinner table every meal, kwim?

FIL subbing sugar for multiple packs of nutrasweet isn't my idea of healthy but there's no changing MIL and FIL on the powdered creamer and pink packs of "sugar" every day anyway.   Everything he gets that is "sugar free" has a list of chemicals half the container long.  I'm DEFINITELY sold on the no chemicals and try to stay away from GMOs so we do well there, I think.  

Back to the point, I know, we should add more avocados and fats - and I try to but most don't like just eggs or avocados.

When I signed us up for emeals and previously the Fresh 20 neither seemed enough of a meal to satisfy anyone.  I ended up doing the veggie AND Paleo plans through emeals and that was good but OH MY, so much meat :(  DH and I felt worse with all that meat actually!

Looking at the Fresh 20 I can't imagine giving my guys a bowl of soup and a salad and calling that dinner.

I applaud you all for knowing that you must do something and jumping in, but drastic changes are HARD especially when you're dragging along unwilling participants. In your situation, I might consider portion control. Make ONE respectable serving of meat, and ONE small whole grain roll per person, but an abundance of veggies. If anyone wants more food, they have to eat more salad, soup, celery sticks, whatever. A nutritionist is an excellent idea, but it might be tricky for the cook since you'll likely have very different needs in the group you're describing.

As far as vegetarian menus go, I think Indian dishes are THE BEST. I love Indian food and can see being vegetarian on that diet. Keep in mind that you can also be a SAD vegetarian if you've merely cut out meat and become a starch-and-cheesatarian instead.

Is this group moving any more than usual? Couch potatoeness often goes hand in hand with a SAD and is half the problem. Also, someone mentioned this before, but how terrified is everyone of feeling a little hungry. There is a HUGE difference between getting a little hungry when a mealtime is approaching and feeling true hunger, but some people freak out and treat them the same. Try to equate that slight discomfort with your body becoming leaner. Don't be afraid to know what it really feels like when your stomach is empty and ready for more food. If you feel the tiniest tickle of hunger at bedtime, don't panic. See if you can sleep anyway. When you do eat, try stopping when your hunger is gone and not continuing until you feel full. Eat SLOWER or you will be overfull before your body feels it. Feeling full all the time isn't a good thing. Food tastes better when your body is really ready to eat it.

It's one thing to control your own eating, but getting others to slow down is tricky. Try putting out a veggie platter or soup 30-60 minutes before the main course. Let them 'ruin' their dinner with veggies AND give their bodies time to register how those veggies feel on their stomachs. Courses might be the only way to slow down fast eaters. Make sure everyone is unplugged while they're eating too . . . no screens.

Try to evaluate whether or not vegetarian is the way to go in your situation. If a few ounces of grilled chicken on top of a chef's salad keeps everyone satisfied longer, it might be worth it. I've never understood the egg exception for non-ethical vegetarians anyway. Nutritionally and logically, eggs ARE meat. If you're eating eggs, you may as well indulge in a little chicken now and then. In your situation, a plant-based diet might work better than a meat-free one.

If you have any yard at all, consider gardening. I'm convinced that home-grown foods are more nutritionally dense. Commercial growers demand a lot of their soil, and often grow varieties because they ship well, but not necessarily for the best taste or nutrition. The home gardener has that luxury. Maybe join a CSA (they'll be signing up before you know it) and make it your goal to get all of those 'weird' veggies into your family.

These are all wonderful suggestions.  I kind of :) know what I need to do.  

I already had a veggie filled chilli simmering when I sat down to see if anyone responded.

I will read them all and also get back at trying to decrease sugar and carbs and increase protein/fats.  

Why are we afraid to write out the V-word?

Which v-word do you think they didn't write out? Because I sometimes see veg*n to encompass both vegetarians and vegans, but they didn't use that spelling.

Edit: I now see it, but not in your quote.

Vegetarian - somebody who doesn't eat meat. A very few people who call themselves vegetarian do eat fish, but nowadays that is generally called "pescetarian" instead, as fish are, of course, animals.

Vegan - somebody who doesn't eat meat, eggs, milk, and sometimes honey. SOME people who are vegan for ethical reasons will eat, say, eggs from their pet chickens, as they aren't slaughtering their pet chickens prior to the end of their natural lifespans. Some other vegans think this is stupid or dishonest.

Veg*n - a word to encompass all veggie groups, with the * functioning as a placeholder.

It's okay to reduce your meat consumption before you eliminate it entirely. It is possible to have a healthy vegetarian diet from birth. There are people who have been doing that for centuries :) However, you're not one of those people. It might be better to have an easier goal - say, reducing from having meat as a main dish 2 meals a day to having meat as a smaller dish, or as flavoring in a bigger dish. Then to only having meat one meal a day, then only every other day, and so on. Baby steps.

This is our approach. Pasta, stir fry, soup, beans w/ meats is our approach. I also serve lots of whole grain sides to fill kids up. Eggs, nuts and nut butters and limited cheeses are filling. I'm not sure all that works for your diabetic FIL though.

Why are we afraid to write out the V-word? Also, doesn't consuming fortified anything just mean that the supplements you 'don't need' have been artificially added to the food?

It's shorthand to encompass both vegetarian and vegan. I'd rather type veg*n than "vegetaraian and vegan" each time. It's a fairly standard abbreviation. The asterisk to censor words is pretty unique to here. :0)

Also, never said that B12, calcium, or vitaamin d wasn't needed. I said that a special supplement sold by a particular organization (often at a higher price) wasn't needed. The distinction between "natural" and "artificial" in this case is a bit silly. It isn't really any different than adding vitamin d to cow's milk.

It's shorthand to encompass both vegetarian and vegan. I'd rather type veg*n than "vegetaraian and vegan" each time. It's a fairly standard abbreviation. The asterisk to censor words is pretty unique to here. :0)

Also, never said that B12, calcium, or vitaamin d wasn't needed. I said that a special supplement sold by a particular organization (often at a higher price) wasn't needed. The distinction between "natural" and "artificial" in this case is a bit silly. It isn't really any different than adding vitamin d to cow's milk.

Ahhh, I did not know about that abbreviation. I thought there might be some sort of vegan-spam-cyberstalking types you didn't want to attract by using the actual word. Your explanation makes more sense even if it lacks intrigue. I also missed the part where you specified a particular organization. Not being a supplement buyer myself, I'm now wondering if it's more cost effective to buy the supplements yourself or to buy foods that include them? I can imagine the supplement sellers and the specialized food sellers being equally capable of going to extremes to maximize profits.

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and we eat vegan about half the days of the year.  With these exceptions:  We can *always* have shellfish; we have days that exclude wine and oil (and that has nothing to do with vegan, so I thought I would mention it).  Most of the protein and fat comes from shellfish, nuts and nut butters, avocados and probably a couple of  other things I am missing.  

Here's the deal for me, though:  I'm allergic to shellfish, and to nuts.  Not "I don't like them" but "This will kill me."

I start to feel the effects of the vegan diet after about 3 days, and really cannot deal with it.  I get disoriented.  The worst time was when I was driving my 12yo DS to school and found myself completely lost, in a town 20 miles away from his school.  That was the end of the prescribed fast for me.  I was instructed by my godmother and blessed by my priest to add chicken back into my diet every other day.  (Most people would be advised to eat eggs as a first effort, but I am deathly allergic to them, too.)  Since this time, I have actually had to change it to buffalo, because I need both the proteins and the fats that are lacking in chicken.  

Even on the days I eat vegan, I need to have a lot of "ballast" to keep me feeling fed.  The rice cooker is indispensable in our house.  (Brown rice and peas apparently make a complete protein.)

You might think about this in a couple of ways: 

1.  Go more gradually.  Do a vegetarian diet 3 days a week.  Then 4.  Then 5.  

2.  Find a way to provide ballast for your family.  Rice works for ours.  But I am the only one who likes brown rice, so I cook that and put it in the fridge so I can eat it gradually. 

3.  Give yourself some time (maybe by moving gradually) to develop some really good recipes.  Try a new one every week.  By the end of a year, you will have a whole new ability in creating tasty, filling meals for your family.

I am not inclined to become vegetarian, but I will say that my view of "meat" has shifted away from Main Course and towards Condiment.  I used to eat a big slab of steak no problem, but now a steak is dinner for the two of us, with leftovers for a steak sandwich the next day.  

Also, over time, you and yours will learn that "feeling stuffed" is not the same as "being fed" and that it is ok to feel a little bit hungry...or at least not stuffed.  

I do notice that on our fasting days, I am happier if I have more than The Three Meals...just a little snack from time to time makes all the difference. 

And I will also say that even though we are serious about fasting as Orthodox Christians, more than one priest has blessed the cooking of almost anything on earth that will feed a growing teenage boy.  LOL