Menu

Do I tell my MD that I. . .

Jean in Newcastle

1.  have been gluten free for a couple of months and have had some positive benefits from that.  I'm fairly sure he will scoff.  (He's a good doctor for allopathic things.)

2.  was in a car accident, was hurt more by my chiropractor but am now doing much better.  I do have some back stuff that is still from that time.  He will scoff that I went to a chiropractor in the first place.  (See note about him being really good at allopathic things and he really listens and responds to me on allopathic things.  We do fight some about naturopathic things but he's willing to listen to me esp. if tests bear out what I'm saying.)

I'm mainly asking to see if it is worth it for him to know about these things - if it will help him as an allopathic doctor in his treatment of ongoing stuff.  

I would mention it. He can scoff all he wants; this does not affect how you feel. If you know something is working for you, then continue. In the unlikely event that he would say: "I want you to go back on gluten," I would say: "No, I am not going to do that since I feel so much better without it. Do you have any other suggestions?"

Because there is usually more than one way to accomplish something and all our bodies - while fundamentally functioning in a similar way - are unique.

Since you like your Dr I'm assuming you have a good rapport, so I'd tell him.  One doesn't always have to have the exact same thoughts or beliefs when there's a good rapport involved - and who knows - if GF works for you, he might suggest it to someone else in a similar situation.

If you thought he wouldn't care due to his style, then I wouldn't bother.

Just an aside, what about trying physical therapy for your issues from the car accident?  I am in PT for a torn meniscus and am very pleased with the progress after only 2 sessions.

He might do that.  He had me doing PT for just my general issues for 5 months straight.  The problem is that I'm almost finished with all allowable PT time for the year according to my insurance.  But I could finish out this year's allotment and then do more in the new year.  

I'd mention both to my doc, especially if I found them to be useful for ongoing conditions. For instance, I have asthma, and my doc has treated me for some nasty flare ups the last several summers, so yes, if I found that a particular diet or something helped with it, especially if it meant that I didn't need the usual allopathic treatment, I'd tell my doc. Also, sure, why shouldn't the doctor have that in his toolbox to share with someone else? I remember recommending a book to one of my former pediatricians, and she wrote down the title for other parents who might be interested. Doctors can learn alternative tricks too!

Since you like your Dr I'm assuming you have a good rapport, so I'd tell him.  One doesn't always have to have the exact same thoughts or beliefs when there's a good rapport involved - and who knows - if GF works for you, he might suggest it to someone else in a similar situation.

If you thought he wouldn't care due to his style, then I wouldn't bother.

The first time I went to him, he asked me what it was I wanted in a doctor.  I told him that I wanted a "bulldog that won't give up".  And that is what I got.  He doesn't understand or agree with the natural med. side of things but I don't go to him for that side of things.  But I don't really want to hide that side of things from him either because I know that supplements and meds can interact at the very least.  

I'd probably leave off telling him about the GF diet.  I would tell him about the accident and chiropractor if it was pertinent to what I was there for.

FTR, I haven't told my dr. about being GF.

This brings up a point.  I don't go to this doctor just for acute problems.  He sees me every three months no matter what because I have so many ongoing chronic things that we need to stay on top of them.  That and he's been so busy trying to work on acute things that only now are we able to start looking at the chronic things.  So in a way, everything going on healthwise is pertinent to why I'm there.  

The first time I went to him, he asked me what it was I wanted in a doctor.  I told him that I wanted a "bulldog that won't give up".  And that is what I got.  He doesn't understand or agree with the natural med. side of things but I don't go to him for that side of things.  But I don't really want to hide that side of things from him either because I know that supplements and meds can interact at the very least.  

I'm almost a little jealous of those of you who have doctors you like.

I'm pretty sure I'm retreating back to the way things were before for me - keeping track of stuff myself and letting the body/brain figure out its own solutions.  It'll be trickier than it was when I was younger since they won't let us get new bodies when we reach middle age.   :glare:

He might do that.  He had me doing PT for just my general issues for 5 months straight.  The problem is that I'm almost finished with all allowable PT time for the year according to my insurance.  But I could finish out this year's allotment and then do more in the new year.  

Not sure what state you are in but here in Michigan the car insurance would cover your medical bills, including physical therapy, for things related to the accident.

Not sure what state you are in but here in Michigan the car insurance would cover your medical bills, including physical therapy, for things related to the accident.

They did pay for medical bills plus an additional settlement.  But the reason I took the settlement was this - the bad treatment I got muddied the waters so that I could not in good conscience blame everything on the car accident.  

My allopathic doctor TOLD me to go to a chiropractor because double-blind tests show that chiropracty has better results for lower back and nerve-related pain than allopathic does.  He told me also that he was very glad that I go to nutritionists and the like because he flat out can't keep up with everything in the world, and so he has chosen his path--and he is a master of allopathic medicine.  He is a wonderful diagnostician.  He also is humble and doesn't have to feel like he is the only one with the answers to all the health problems in the world.  He also told me that he thinks I am doing the right thing to take charge of my own health care, and to do what works for me.  

I very much appreciate this about him.  He's been my doctor for 26 years.  

Because this is my experience, I just don't GET why any doctor of any kind has to think they (have to) know it all.  There's no way, not these days.  

However, I also have a friend who is an MD and he scoffs at anything not allopathic.  So I don't bring up that I go to the chiropractor or the nutritionist.  Because I have better things to talk about.  That said, this is not my doctor.  

I would say something about both issues, but keep your deflector shields up. 

If you want to educate your doctor then tell him about GF.  It works whether he scoffs or not.  Otherwise, just tell him about the supplements that may interact with any of the allopathic meds and forget about the GF.

But, YES, I think you should tell him all about the car accident and the failed chiro.  It could have a bearing on your care. (The fact that I prefer an Osteopath to a chiropractor doesn't color my advice at all - really). And I really like the idea that he'll get you PT.

I hope you feel better soon!

I would tell him about all of it.

I think it's becoming more widely known that gluten can trigger inflammation, which can then lead to lots of physical ailments.  It's not like it is without any scientific basis.

You'd think he'd want to know about it.

He might do that. He had me doing PT for just my general issues for 5 months straight. The problem is that I'm almost finished with all allowable PT time for the year according to my insurance. But I could finish out this year's allotment and then do more in the new year.

PT for a car accident would go under car insurance, not health insurance (in my state anyway), so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Edited: never mind didn't finish reading! Ignore me!

I don't think chiropractic care is all that out there now, is it? I'd tell him about the accident and any subsequent problems.

I would tell him about it all, too. Especially the GF. So what if he scoffs? You will still have a good relationship for other things, and you never know... He might listen. My allopathic doc scoffed at lots of natural stuff. 10 years of evolving and she's more of an integrative meds doc now. You never know. :)

You can mention that your Dad died of heart problems but when someone asked me if I had a certain history in my family and mentioned my grandmother who lived to 80, the doc was not that concerned.

I am not at all surprised that he does not understand the naturopathic potential since they are not trained in that area. As long as he does not hold 5 hour lectures as to why it could possibly not work, I'd tell him.

I also feel that since the Naturopathic field is not necessarily as regulated, many people as well as doctors think of them as quacks. Some may be just that but when I speak of the naturopath I am seeing, I am referring to a woman who has completed medical school and then went to another College for Naturopathic Medicine where she got her ND - Naturopathic Doctor. I am not seeing a ninety year old herbalist who lives in a shack and brews up concoctions...:) even though she too, may know what she is doing.

All things are relevant to your physician irrespective of how he feels about them.

After working with hundreds of doctors over the past twenty years, I offer some advice: All doctors know about the same amount of stuff, give or take a little, within about 5 or so years post residency. So one does not really have to worry about getting a smart doctor. But, one has to be able to tell his doctor things he cannot even tell his own mother. If someone does not have that level of comfort with his doctor, then one needs to find another doctor. It is not a doctor's brilliance that cures a patient, it is the patient's ability to communicate that cures himself.