Menu

The zoo in winter

Night Elf

I'd like to get my mom a gift card for an experience for Christmas. She told me a few weeks ago that she wanted to go to the zoo but when she found out how much money it was, she couldn't justify the expense. I am worried about if she'd use a gift card for the zoo if it's too cold outside. What are the animals like typically? I could get her a gift card for the aquarium which I think she might enjoy. She only mentioned the zoo though. Should I go for the aquarium or the zoo? I don't think she has an aversion to cold weather. I just want her to enjoy herself and I'm wondering if animals try to hide in the winter.

How cold does it get where you are? 

Way down here, the zoo is WAY more popular and the animals are more active in the winter. The summers are dead time, when they mostly just lay around trying not to overheat. 

Our zoo offers winter harbor for hot weather animals, so we have a lot of special guests, so to speak, mostly tropical birds and animals that can't manage a cold, northern winter. If you are too far north, some of your animals may not be there at all. 

Our winters get down into the 20s, so it's not exactly the tropics. Almost. Perhaps, if she can go before it gets too cold, or after it starts warming up, that would be doable. 

The aquarium and the zoo are not comparable to me - if she said she'd like to go to the zoo I would not sub in the aquarium.

I also like the idea of a membership but I know that may be too expensive.  Can you get her a gift card that will not expire for a year, so she can choose the season she visits? 

We went to the zoo in Dec a few years ago and dd was disappointed that some animals weren't out--I'm thinking particularly the lemurs, which she had been hoping to see. It was a pretty chilly day--IIRC low 50's. But of course there can be decent weather here in winter so I wouldn't completely rule out a winter visit. As to the aquarium, not sure if you or your mom have already been, but to me it's like spending the day in an arcade. The GA aquarium, I mean. We vastly prefer the TN aquarium because they have better viewing and the atmosphere is much more peaceful. And I would take the zoo on a cold day over the GA aquarium any day. :D

Okay, the zoo it is. I didn't think of an annual membership. It is expensive but I know she'd use it because she loves going to places where she can walk around. She would truly appreciate such a gift. Done!

And yes, we're near Atlanta. I've never been to the aquarium. We did thoroughly enjoy the TN one though.

If she likes to walk it will be a wonderful gift!   Some zoos are nicer than others, and I've never been to the ATL zoo, but some zoos I've been to are wonderful for a nice walk.   We usually have a membership to a walkable place, like an arboretum, and it is so nice to visit in different seasons.  It's also great not to have to try to cram everything into one visit. 

I love the zoo in winter!  We go to the zoo frequently and one of my most memorable trips was on a winter day. The zoo isn't crowded so you can stand right in front and watch the animals for as long as you like.  Also, many animals that are hard to see or inactive in the summer are very active or easier to see because of missing tree leaves.  Animals like wolves, snow leopards, reindeer, and polar bears are often outside playing in the snow and most warm climate animals have indoor habitats in the winter.  One of our local zoos provides heated transportation within the zoo and hot chocolate! 

Okay, the zoo it is. I didn't think of an annual membership. It is expensive but I know she'd use it because she loves going to places where she can walk around. She would truly appreciate such a gift. Done!

And yes, we're near Atlanta. I've never been to the aquarium. We did thoroughly enjoy the TN one though.

I love the zoo and aquarium equally, but the aquarium is definitely an indoor thing while the zoo is better for fresh air and sunshine. I'm not sure where you live, but in Baltimore a zoo membership gets you a separate entrance, discounts on things you buy there, a monthly magazine, and a discounted entrance to other zoos across the country. It used to also gain you a free museum admission during the winter months, so yours may also have some unexpected perks. Also, a membership for my family costs less than two trips.

If your mom is older, you might want to give her some sort of gift certificate to purchase her membership. It's possible that a senior membership costs less and she could get a better price than you could. I'm sure if you call they can help you puzzle out the best deal.

We went to the zoo in Dec a few years ago and dd was disappointed that some animals weren't out--I'm thinking particularly the lemurs, which she had been hoping to see. It was a pretty chilly day--IIRC low 50's. But of course there can be decent weather here in winter so I wouldn't completely rule out a winter visit. As to the aquarium, not sure if you or your mom have already been, but to me it's like spending the day in an arcade. The GA aquarium, I mean. We vastly prefer the TN aquarium because they have better viewing and the atmosphere is much more peaceful. And I would take the zoo on a cold day over the GA aquarium any day. :D

I can't imagine the aquarium feeling like an arcade?!?! I've only been to two aquariums, Baltimore and Monterey, but both were so tranquil. Only the American Indian museum was more soothing than those places.

You know what? Before you get a membership, check membership levels. If the zoo and aquarium belong to the same conservancy group, a slightly higher fee might give you equal access to both institutions with the same card. Reciprocal admission is an extremely common practice.

Edit: Googled, doesn't look like it. Darn.

In some cities you can get memberships to the Zoo, the Botanical garden, and the Science Museum for only like $20 more than an annual membership to the zoo. Something to do no matter the weather.  I don't know if that's true for Atlanta, but you might look into it.

We love the zoo in winter! It's always so empty. We head right for the Amazonia and sit in the steam and watch the monkeys. :)

The Atlanta Zoo doesn't, IIRC, have much indoor stuff. But seconding the membership. Some places let you get a "grandparent membership" which lets the grandparents go solo or with the grandkids.

SF Zoo is lovely at Christmas. My boys like the reindeer romp event and also being able to run around. While Monterey Aquarium is nice, there is less areas where running is permitted.

We have to bring quarters to feed the zoo animals "food dispenser" because my boys like to do that.

We go to the zoo once a year so we didn't get the membership.

I'm so excited! The best way to get my mom a zoo membership was a gift card, that way her membership will begin when she buys the membership. If I got the membership, it would start now. With the purchase of a gift card, I got a plush animal so I chose a tiger. I'm going to attach the gift card to the stuffed animal and wrap it. I think that will be cute. Thanks for the advice. I haven't been this excited about a gift in a very long time.

I'm so excited! The best way to get my mom a zoo membership was a gift card, that way her membership will begin when she buys the membership. If I got the membership, it would start now. With the purchase of a gift card, I got a plush animal so I chose a tiger. I'm going to attach the gift card to the stuffed animal and wrap it. I think that will be cute. Thanks for the advice. I haven't been this excited about a gift in a very long time.

What a great gift! My mom got our family a zoo membership a few years ago, and it was so much fun. It was truly one of those rare gifts that kept giving all year. We could go see the "march of the penguins" outside on a cold winter day, the sea lion show in the middle of the summer, and the "ottertoberfest" celebration in the fall. Plus, all the other times we went throughout the year, just for the fun of it. She'll love it!