Menu

People who intensely exercise: how quickly does missing exercise affect you negatively?

unsinkable

I don't feel badly if I miss a week, but it's usually because life is full of something else. For instance, if I go on vacation, I usually don't exercise in my normal way. However, walking is always part of my vacations because I love doing it. But I rarely work out intensely during that time and it doesn't bother me. I think a change of pace is good from time to time.

Someone who is exercising that intensely should have some kind of regular recovery period built into the system otherwise he/she will fizzle out.

In terms of your question, what do you mean "feel badly"?

I agree with this. Rest and recovery are one of the most important parts of fitness, imho.

Is it reasonable to assume that someone who is exercsing intensely 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, starts to feel badly after missing 3 or 4 days?

TIA for any input.

Very reasonable.

Exercise makes me feel physically better as well as mentally and when I miss my workouts I can tell.

Missing 3 or 4 days would definitely affect me.

Not to derail the thread, but what if I'm exercising intensely and not missing any workouts and am STILL irritable, crabby, and out of sorts?    :tongue_smilie:

Just think of how bad it would be if you DIDN'T work out!

Missing 3 or 4 days would definitely affect me.

Not to derail the thread, but what if I'm exercising intensely and not missing any workouts and am STILL irritable, crabby, and out of sorts?    :tongue_smilie:

Part of me says you probably aren't getting enough sleep.

Part of me says you are due for a girls' getaway (there are a lot of Y chromosomes in your house). Maybe one of those women's surfing programs in Baja California. Or a Yoga training at a mountain location. Or an open water training program in the Carribean. Chocolate and wine on the plane to and from the getaway.

Just think of how bad it would be if you DIDN'T work out!

Oh, sister...that is TOO scary to think of!   ;)

Part of me says you probably aren't getting enough sleep.

Part of me says you are due for a girls' getaway (there are a lot of Y chromosomes in your house). Maybe one of those women's surfing programs in Baja California. Or a Yoga training at a mountain location. Or an open water training program in the Carribean. Chocolate and wine on the plane to and from the getaway.

I think I'm good on sleep.

That getaway sounds like a great idea (maybe unsinkable would go with me!), but would I have to come back?   :biggrinjester:   

Is it reasonable to assume that someone who is exercsing intensely 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, starts to feel badly after missing 3 or 4 days?

TIA for any input.

My husband exercises hard for 2-4 hours per day, about 13 days out of every 14. He starts to get a little twitchy and snappish after even one day completely off, and is a total bear by 2-3 days out. We're not even going to talk about the depths to which we all sank when he was injured a few years ago.

I've been trying just to take a brisk walk daily, and I find that I'm a tiny bit edgy after missing 2-3 days as well.

I wonder how much of this feeling is due to not getting the 'me' time, or just not doing something you really enjoy rather than necessarily being due to not working out?  I mean, is it physical or is it also a mental thing to feel crummy when they go days without doing their workouts? 

My workouts are at LEAST as much of a getaway so I can think, be alone, and plan my day as they are an intense workout.   And when I workout with someone it's as much about being with someone else as it is about working out. 

I think other people are way more committed to their fitness than I am. g

Arg, on my phone.I agree with Kristie. Someone working out that intensely may have other things going on though.

Why would you suggest that someone who works out intensely may have other issues going on?

I could be mistaken, but I assumed that unsinkable was talking about a very fit person who was used to a lot of regular exercise, not someone who was obsessive about fitness in an unhealthy way.

Why would you suggest that someone who works out intensely may have other issues going on?

I could be mistaken, but I assumed that unsinkable was talking about a very fit person who was used to a lot of regular exercise, not someone who was obsessive about fitness in an unhealthy way.

I meant that someone exercising daily for 2 hours could ( COULD) be self medicating depression or a desire to be alone or maybe not. Just that if it's working for them and they can't get it they will be touchy. If I take more than a day off I get crabby. I know I'm using exercise as a med though.

I get crabby after about two days. I've even gotten to the point where I *will* workout while on vacation, if I don't feel like I'm getting enough physical activity otherwise. Some running clothes and an ipod are all I need.

And yes, I do workout to "self medicate". I get seriously crabby if I don't get my regular workout. It's my "me time".

I meant that someone exercising daily for 2 hours could ( COULD) be self medicating depression or a desire to be alone or maybe not. Just that if it's working for them and they can't get it they will be touchy. If I take more than a day off I get crabby. I know I'm using exercise as a med though.

Ok -- thanks! Now I understand what you meant. :)

I exercise moderately about 8 hours a week. I have a fairly active life outside of regular dance classes too. I actually feel fine if I miss class. I'd have to miss about a month before I felt sluggish. Starting back up after a long break is another, painful story.

Daily, intense workouts will never be a part of my life again. (I was in the Army for 4 years.) In fact, this thread just adds to my list of excuses NOT to exercise too intensely :-)