Menu

How much time do your little ones play outside?

I am homeschooling older kids (12+) as well as I have two toddlers.  I'm trying very hard to fill everyone's bucket...but, I'm feeling like a chicken with his head cut off. I'm always fretting about the little ones not getting much outside time to just play.  I know they need this and don't want to shortchange their childhood because I'm homeschooling the big kids.

How much time do you let your little ones play outside?  I usually try to squeeze in 30-45 minutes in the am and then have the big kids play with them outside again while I'm cooking dinner.  Do you think that is enough?

Also, if you are in a similar boat, do you have a playgroup or special time weekly for your little kids?  I'm wondering if I should set up a playgroup for them to just have weekly or even twice a month.  We are home so often and then most of our activities revolve around the big kids.

In better weather, my littles are outside all afternoon besides nap. They play happily in the back yard if I need to do work with my olders. Do you have an outside space where the toddlers can play on their own? During independent work, I take time with my younger kids too. Can you have the older kids taking turns with your younger kids outside?

At this point, it's really too cold for my younger two to enjoy being outside for any length of time unless there is fresh snow (which they love).

It is highly dependent on weather.  

My kids spend pretty much all day in our backyard in good weather (sunny, 65-85 degrees), at the very least 5 hours a day, and usually much more.  We eat out there, we do school out there, ect.  And we go to a lake, park, hike, or something along those lines 3x or so a week.  But this "good weather" is only 3 or so months out of the year.  So we are taking advantage of something rare.

In our usual mediocre weather (40-65 degrees, overcast and wet) we spend 1-2 hours daily in the yard and go to a lake, park, hike, or something 1 or sometimes 2x a week.  

In our 3 or so months of bad weather (20-40 degrees, icey and slushy) we try to go out on days when the snow is nice but generally stay in on the days it's yucky and half melted.  We will hike or sled occasionally, but it's only a couple times in a month.  

It's depends on the weather, but quite a bit on good/decent weather days.  I will bring schoolwork outside, but my two school age kiddos are in the early elementary grades so our school day is 2-3hrs.  Even though your schooling kiddos are older, they may benefit from running around outside for a break.

When the weather is nice my younger two get 30 min-1hour outside.  Homeschooling takes us all day, and we usually don't done until almost 5pm.  Before the time change we also went outside after dinner, but now it is getting dark early.

My 6 year old boy spends at least an hour outside. My 10 year old girl spent time outside last summer, but now is too busy. My 12 year old girl has never willingly gone outside and hasn't "played" in years. She's more of a cozy-up-with-a-book-and-cup-of-tea kid than a tree climber.

Right now, not nearly enough. We're currently living with my parents and they live on a busy road and there's no fence so they can't be outside without complete supervision. There is no sidewalk so we can't walk anywhere, either.  I take them to a playground when it's nice outside and fits in our schedule but that's only about once a week. To make up for it we found a gym with active childcare that we go to every day so they are at least physically exerting themselves but it's not the same as being in the fresh air every day.

But I am to get everyone outside for at least an hour every day, even in snow storms. Usually it is closer to two.

Sorry to begin a tangent, but this is something I often think about- what kind of weather is truly too bad to send them outside in. I USED to be an "only sunny days" type and it's been difficult to learn to let them play in rain (and that still only when its warm) ect. And I still wonder if I'm too soft in this regard. We had two weeks last winter, for example, of some below or just above 0 weather (unusual for us), and even though it was dry, I kept them inside.

When I think "snow storm" I'm imagining freezing temperatures, severe wind, and low visibility. But perhaps that is because I am from a place with fairly constant snow on the ground from late Nov- early April? So it has to be somewhat special to be designated a "storm". On the other hand, my California family members once called a gentle 1/2 inch dusting "quite the snowstorm".

Sorry to begin a tangent, but this is something I often think about- what kind of weather is truly too bad to send them outside in. I USED to be an "only sunny days" type and it's been difficult to learn to let them play in rain (and that still only when its warm) ect. And I still wonder if I'm too soft in this regard. We had two weeks last winter, for example, of some below or just above 0 weather (unusual for us), and even though it was dry, I kept them inside.

When I think "snow storm" I'm imagining freezing temperatures, severe wind, and low visibility. But perhaps that is because I am from a place with fairly constant snow on the ground from late Nov- early April? So it has to be somewhat special to be designated a "storm". On the other hand, my California family members once called a gentle 1/2 inch dusting "quite the snowstorm".

I've seen videos of Scandinavian schools (early education) where kids spend much of their day outside, regardless of the weather. They say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Daycares in Sweden actually keep babies outside to nap, bundled up, for long stretches of time in the winter because they think it's good for their health. I love their forest schools, where kids routinely spend whole days outside in the woods even when temps are well below zero, and I've taken that to heart. I try to get my DD out for at least 2 or more hours, regardless of whether it's raining or snowing. Now I wouldn't take her out in blizzards or high winds, just because it doesn't seem safe. And I'm a little bit of a wimp, so wouldn't take her out in temps below 10 degrees for all that long. But as long as she's bundled up, there's nothing wrong with below freezing temperatures, and definitely nothing wrong with rain. If you haven't danced in the rain as a child, you haven't lived. :)

I just find she's so much more peaceful indoors after we've had our long outdoor play, you can really see the change in her demeanor. It's so incredibly good for their psyches, their minds and their bodies. I don't want to sacrifice that just because I'm worried about her getting wet or cold.

ETA: Rain pants (Land's End sells good ones for under $20 including shipping) are GREAT for playground play, or really any play in the rain. They keep the pants underneath completely dry.

We don't have a yard so it's hit or miss. We go to the park and sometimes put out our plastic caution flag guy to play in our communal parking lot driveway. Just think about how many people in the world do not have the luxury of outdoor space. Your kids might like to be out playing, but they will not suffer to do that indoors if that's what works for now.

Weather wise, we live in Oregon and are not stopped by rain. We're completely spoiled by temps above 50 almost year round and surprise sunny days mid winter. Snow here is rare and then they REALLY want out. I grew up in Alaska, so my tolerances may be skewed, but I take them out in almost any weather. A sweatshirt and rain slicker do the trick. We keep a ratty towel in the car for slides at parks. We also used to walk or bike 2 miles to swimming 3x a week. I need to get back to that.

I force my kids out for at least 30-45 minutes, but usually longer than that. I am fortunate that we have a nice backyard that I don't feel the need to be out with them. I've been oetting them play in the front too, we hsve w nice big picture window that i can sit in front of, nurse the baby and watch them play. We live in a colder climate and when the weather last year was so bad for so long, I took some of my knee-length fuzzy socks and cut the toes/feet off. The kids wore them over their arms/legs. It added a lot of warmth, without having to take off their clothes to put long underwear on. I wish I had thought of it earlier. They used them under their costumes on Halloween this year so I didn't have to make them wear coats over their costumes.

I've seen videos of Scandinavian schools (early education) where kids spend much of their day outside, regardless of the weather. They say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Daycares in Sweden actually keep babies outside to nap, bundled up, for long stretches of time in the winter because they think it's good for their health. I love their forest schools, where kids routinely spend whole days outside in the woods even when temps are well below zero, and I've taken that to heart. I try to get my DD out for at least 2 or more hours, regardless of whether it's raining or snowing. Now I wouldn't take her out in blizzards or high winds, just because it doesn't seem safe. And I'm a little bit of a wimp, so wouldn't take her out in temps below 10 degrees for all that long. But as long as she's bundled up, there's nothing wrong with below freezing temperatures, and definitely nothing wrong with rain. If you haven't danced in the rain as a child, you haven't lived. :)

I just find she's so much more peaceful indoors after we've had our long outdoor play, you can really see the change in her demeanor. It's so incredibly good for their psyches, their minds and their bodies. I don't want to sacrifice that just because I'm worried about her getting wet or cold.

ETA: Rain pants (Land's End sells good ones for under $20 including shipping) are GREAT for playground play, or really any play in the rain. They keep the pants underneath completely dry.

You've officially inspired me.  Thanks for the tip on the rain pants! (How have I never heard of such things??)

Do you find Under Armor (or anything like it) to be helpful?  We are in New England and the cold is an issue for my kids.  I'd pay for it if I was fairly confident it would help.  :-)

I agree with the "no bad weather, only bad clothing" type philosophy for the most part.  At 5 and 6 they can tell you when they get cold, hot, wet, etc. and they are old enough to be moving around to stay warm as well.

A few years ago we were out horseback riding and I mentioned to a friend that it seemed a bit chilly..........when I got in the car they said it was 4 below zero........I guess that counts as chilly.

Get warm boots (bogs are very popular here--just make sure to get the WINTER ones, not the rain ones if you want them for winter), a good coat and snow pants or snowmobile suit, and layers and let them have fun.

Yes, we have snow boots, snow clothes ect. And they are happy to spend hours outside as long as it's over 20 or so degrees. But I have to admit, when we get into those single digits they just complain. And I can't blame them, I hate to be out in that too.

Maybe I need to look into better stuff.

My girls are almost 8, almost 8, and almost 10.

In the spring, summer, and early autumn, they might play outside all or half the day, unless we're doing school. Then they are usually out for an hour or two in "good weather," or more in the summer (longer evenings). I have a pretty broad definition of what good weather means, LOL, and have been known to send them out in weather that horrifies my California-boy husband. ;) Ack! It's 20 degrees, they're going to die! Well, no, this is New Jersey, dear, we are tougher here. :001_rolleyes:

In the winter, well... If we get nice snow, then they go sledding. If it's ice, forget about it. Then we do Science Pockets and make popcorn and watch Mr. Peabody and Sherman. ;)

We have a large back porch, though, and sometimes sit out there in the cold, watching the snow come down. We feed the birds and the girls try to catch snowflakes on their tongues.

I don't have the age range you have, so when I send them out, they go as a pack. When we do school work, they are (usually) all inside, working on it at the same time. Occasionally, I send the younger two outside (when Daddy is home to supervise), and stay in with the older girl (4th grader) to get stuff done.

It's been raining off and on here for two days, a cold kind of rain. They have not been outside to play since Tuesday or Wednesday. We all need to get out and walk for an hour. Maybe tomorrow?

Mine are 5 and 8.

Fall--1 hour at school, 1-2 hours at home if they choose. 5-10 hours on weekends.

Winter--Probably 1/2 hr less on school days. Same on weekends, 5 - 10 hours.

Spring--Same at school, 2-3 hrs or so after school, all the weekend.

Summer--Sunup to sunset, whenever they are not in camps. I'm thinking of hiring a sitter this summer so it will be purely outside play all the time.

The limit is daylight hours. It gets dark 1 hour after school is out right now!

We live in a temperate rainforest. If we let wet weather keep us inside, we'd have rickets by now. Rain boots, rain coats, snow boots, snow coats, scarves, mittens, snowshoes, skis, bikes... we've got it all. Oh, and yes, rain pants and snow pants. Of course.

When they were smaller, I had to be outside with them 100% of the time. So they spent less time outdoors on weekends, but weekdays were the same, maybe more (because school was shorter).

My kids need outside time and so do I.

We don't have a yard, and getting out and about is quite difficult for me, so DS doesn't get outside as much as I would like.

But, I do make a concerted effort to really make the most of our outside time, and I make it last by taking a picnic rug and a read aloud or game, so that even when he has had enough of nature walks or just general play, DS and I can extend our fresh air and sunshine time, without complaints. We also take a trapeze, climbing rope, and swings to the trees near our house, for lots of strength building play. Most weeks we spend an entire day at the park with friends, too. Many of the kids take scooters, and just generally run wild and free.

Also, I have set up our living space in such a way that DS can be quite active inside. He can run around, play with lightsabres, dance, jump on the mini-tramp, set up obstacle courses, etc. We keep the floor clear so that I can get about in my chair, so DS has plenty of space to fling himself about when the mood strikes him.

I've seen videos of Scandinavian schools (early education) where kids spend much of their day outside, regardless of the weather. They say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." *snip*

I'm gonna disagree with this one. It may be true in cold areas, but it's definitely not true in hot climates. I mean, you can always put on more clothes, but there's only so much you can take off. We lived in the deep South for several years, and I remember one summer where the temperature was topping out at 105 with super high humidity for a month straight. There was no way I was letting my fair-skinned, sun-sensitive kids go outside in that kind of heat. Even a trip to the pool needed to be limited to 2 hrs or less or we'd all burn to a crisp (even with multiple applications of sunscreen).

As for the original question, I don't really monitor my kids' outside play now that we're in a more temperate area (hot summers and snowy winters, but nothing extreme). They play outside when they want, and they come in when they want. They tend to play outside more in the spring and fall than in the winter or summer, maybe up to 4 hours per day when the weather is nice. It's rare to have a day where they don't ever play outside, unless we are having really bad thunderstorms. We go to the park several times per week, and we hike a lot in the spring and fall.

I do have one kid who is extremely fair-skinned and much more sensitive to the heat than my other kids (which is saying something). I keep a closer eye on him and send him inside immediately if he starts to seem tired or overheated.

Meh, I didn't think about it too much. We were in Southern California, and I could keep the back door open so the dc could go in and out as they pleased (*back* door, not front). But I didn't force it.

Same. Ds was outside for most of his daylight hours. These days dd, outside of school time, goes in and out as she pleases. Her lego is out on the covered verandah, so she spends quite a bit of time cozily in that corner. On pleasant evenings, especially if we've been out and about a lot, she'll sit on top of the clothesline and sing for two hours before dark.

Snow I'm okay with even a lot, it's the bitter cold temperatures especially with bitterly cold wind or cold and rainy that are "bad" weather for us.  I still have to help the two younger dress for the cold, and sometimes it takes more time to bundle everyone up than they actually want to stay out.  I really think of "bad" weather as something the kids (and myself) feel miserable in.  In the spring, summer, and early autumn, we can be outside for 4-5 hours (and sometimes longer) so I don't feel guilty if we don't play outside in the late fall and winter more than 2-3 hours a week.

Everyone's bad is a little different especially based on what the climate is like where they live.