Menu

Best Gluten Free Bread??

1GirlTwinBoys

My dd likes the schar bread. She also,likes udi's. I have found both at some Walmarts. I prefer the schar because it is vacuum packed and does not need to be frozen until it is opened. The udi's comes frozen and has to be stored in the freezer. When I have purchased bread that we did not like the taste of I have avoided wasting it by drying it out in the oven and turning it into breadcrumbs in the blender.

Schar also has shelf stable pizza crusts that we like.

When we first went GF, none of the breads tasted good to be honest.  We were  using rice cakes, GF crackers, almond flour pancakes as crepes, etc.   

After about 9 months, we tried the Udi's at Costco again, and it tasted good. :)

Just bought some great GF "everything" crackers at Costco.  I am loving them with Laughing Cow cheese. :)

Have you considered giving up on sandwiches? Real foods that aren't bread taste better than the gf breads. We're not GF, but dd doesn't like a lot of bread. I keep portions of rice fried with chicken and teriyaki sauce in the freezer for her. She also does a lot of soups. She goes to high school, but homeschooled for too long to consider cafeteria food, so she has a really good thermos and does a lot of soups and leftovers. She likes leftovers, salads with protein, potatoes fried with meat (hash)' anything over rice, chicken soups, pad Thai with rice noodles, burrito bowls. When she's eating at home she usually throws an egg into her fried rice.

The only GF bread anyone in my house will eat is Udi's.

That being said, IMO the least painful way to go GF is to no try to replace gluten favorites. None of the packaged goods are as good as their gluten counterparts and they are crazy expensive. We have been GF for several years and I've found gf recipes for baked goods that my children enjoy on occasion, but we stay away from packaged goods.

I too agree to not try gluten free bread until it's been a few months.  It just does not compare.  Try rice crackers with tuna or cheese in place of the bread.  You can make pancakes with buckwheat (which is not really wheat) or look up recipes for quick breads using rice flours.  After a few months, the gluten free bread will taste OK only because he will have forgotten what the real stuff tasted like.

Beth

If you do get to the point where you are baking your own bread, look at Against All Grain blog. There is a yummy sandwich bread using almond flour. Pricey to make, but delicious for an occasional treat.

We try to avoid the white starchy GF breads whether they are prepackaged or homade and go for the high protein flours. They are more filling too.

Udi's multigrain was my favorite, I think Scharr's tastes like cardboard.

My new favorite is the multigrain gluten free loaves at Aldi's. Completely delicious, soft, and they don't leave you with the horrible after effects of the bean flour in Pamela's delicious bread mix (for bred machines).

Most of my family prefers the gluten free wraps at Aldi's  (they can eat real bread).

I buy Canyon Bakehouse's cinnamon raisin at Target.  It's a nice breakfast treat and makes good French toast.

I just saw that the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes folks have a new (to me) GF book.  http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes/dp/1250018315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414967491&sr=8-1&keywords=gluten+free+artisan+bread+in+five+minutes+a+day

Googled and found their basic recipe on their blog http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/01/05/gluten-free-crusty-boule

My favorite is the loaf I just made. :) i have a Cuisinart bread machine that has a GF setting. I just made a (slightly adapted) GF loaf with Dried Apricots and Pecans. (the recipe was Apple, cheddar and Walnuts.) this is good enough that I don't feel like it's merely an extremely inadequate replica of bread. It is tasty in its own right.

My favorite is the loaf I just made. :) i have a Cuisinart bread machine that has a GF setting. I just made a (slightly adapted) GF loaf with Dried Apricots and Pecans. (the recipe was Apple, cheddar and Walnuts.) this is good enough that I don't feel like it's merely an extremely inadequate replica of bread. It is tasty in its own right.

Would you be willing to share your recipe? It sounds yummy!

I like Glutino Genius multigrain a great deal more than Udi's. Three Bakers and Canyon Bakehouse are good, too.

Schar sub rolls are really good.

If you bake, Gluten Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread has really delicious bread recipes, and Nicole (the author) has lots of great recipes on her blog. My family's quite fond of her soft tapioca wraps for traveling lunches.