Menu

I like the open & go format of...

journey00

Logic of English

Math in Focus

English Lesson Through Literature

I think "open and go" sometimes depends on the way you use a program, though.

I see SOTW listed above and while I love it I don't feel like I can open the book and go. But that's because of the way I'm using it (making copies from the activity guide, finding supplemental books at the library, gathering supplies for projects, ect). I could just simply read the darn book, of course, but to ME that's not SOTW. Singapore Primary is also "open and go" for some families. But because Asian math is foreign to me it took a lot of prep.

Logic of English

Math in Focus

English Lesson Through Literature

I think "open and go" sometimes depends on the way you use a program, though.

I see SOTW listed above and while I love it I don't feel like I can open the book and go. But that's because of the way I'm using it (making copies from the activity guide, finding supplemental books at the library, gathering supplies for projects, ect). I could just simply read the darn book, of course, but to ME that's not SOTW. Singapore Primary is also "open and go" for some families. But because Asian math is foreign to me it took a lot of prep.

I listed SOTW, and yes, we used it differently. :)

We didn't do the projects because we're not a project/crafty family. I also rarely needed to make copies. My daughter read hundreds of extra history books during her SOTW years, but I don't really see that as connected to the program. I guess if I absolutely had to track down certain books to be read at a certain chapter it would feel less open and go.

Finding supplemental books is just a part of our homeschool that I do for many subjects regardless of the core. :)

For us Story of the World wasn't about projects - it was about hours upon hours snuggled together reading, then years of Lily sneaking off to read the books herself. It was about the moments in the sunshine and fresh air on the front porch as she took her first shaky steps into the world of academic writing as she did written narrations... It was night after night in the hushed quiet as we all fell asleep listening to Jim Weiss tell us the Story of the World...

I listed SOTW, and yes, we used it differently.  :)

We didn't do the projects because we're not a project/crafty family. I also rarely needed to make copies. My daughter read hundreds of extra history books during her SOTW years, but I don't really see that as connected to the program. I guess if I absolutely had to track down certain books to be read at a certain chapter it would feel less open and go.

Finding supplemental books is just a part of our homeschool that I do for many subjects regardless of the core. :)

For us Story of the World wasn't about projects - is was about hours upon hours snuggled together reading, then years of Lily sneaking off to read the books herself. It was about the moments in the sunshine and fresh air on the front porch as she took her first shaky steps into the world of academic writing as she did written narrations... It was night after night in the hushed quiet as we all fell asleep listening to Jim Weiss tell us the Story of the World...

I would love to know how to make SOTW more open-and-go for us.  Perhaps I get too worried about having the right books available for extra reading....  Would you mind telling me *very specifically* which reading you're referring to?  Just the actual Story of the World book, or any of the extra reading?  Also, I have a lot of little kids, so in order for us to all benefit, I try to have a picture book for littles, coloring pages, etc.  I will say that I took the time to print up coloring pages and maps (along with generic notebooking pages for narrations) and had them spiral bound ahead of time.  This has helped cut down prep time immensely!!

A curriculum that hasn't been mentioned is Reading Lessons Through Literature.  It is a very much open-and-go spelling for my girls and reading for son.  And now that I've gotten the hang of asian math, we LOVE singapore math.  Just love it.  :)

Elemental Science is fairly open and go.

Some of your more traditional curriculum is open and go such as A Beka, Horizons, Christian Liberty Press, Rod and Staff, etc.

For phonics, Sing, Spell, Read and Write is fairly open and go, but it does have several components, such as readers, games, etc.

Classical Academic Press has several open and go products, including Bible, foreign language and writing.

We have also been using Apologia/Summit' elementary Bible Who is God? that has been open and go for us too.

Right Start Math

All About Spelling

Mr. Q Science

All the Memoria Press materials we've tried

SOTW was not open & go the first time around because I did the projects in the AG and History Pockets with oldest DD. This time around DS is reading the textbook & doing the tests only. That is totally open & go. He's older that his sister was and frankly, once doing the crafts is plenty for me.

I would love to know how to make SOTW more open-and-go for us.  Perhaps I get too worried about having the right books available for extra reading....  Would you mind telling me *very specifically* which reading you're referring to?  Just the actual Story of the World book, or any of the extra reading?  Also, I have a lot of little kids, so in order for us to all benefit, I try to have a picture book for littles, coloring pages, etc.  I will say that I took the time to print up coloring pages and maps (along with generic notebooking pages for narrations) and had them spiral bound ahead of time.  This has helped cut down prep time immensely!!

A curriculum that hasn't been mentioned is Reading Lessons Through Literature.  It is a very much open-and-go spelling for my girls and reading for son.  And now that I've gotten the hang of asian math, we LOVE singapore math.  Just love it.   :)

In the post I was referring mainly to The Story of the World, which we read together. We read some of the extra books together and others she read on her own. In the beginning I tried to find as many of the suggested books as possible. When I realized our library didn't have most of them, I ordered several. I quickly realized I didn't always like the suggested books, but that's OK. After all, they are just suggestions. :)   I began to use them as a starting point to find books that would be a better fit for my daughter. I quit worrying so much about finding the right books and just focused on making sure she had a steady supply of good enough books. ;)   I eventually became much better at knowing which books would be good fits.

I don't have lots of littles, so it's a very different situation. Our focus was reading, writing, and mapwork; the book and activity guide were open and go for that.  Ordering extra books is something I am always doing anyway. :)

CLE (we used math, but pretty much all of it, I think)

FLL

Easy Grammar/Daily Grams

Getting Started with Latin

Galore Park, except the science experiments

Apples & Pears/Dancing Bears

Treasured Conversations

CAP Writing & Rhetoric

Key to... books

Phonetic Zoo (we don't use the audio files)

• 4 weeks later...

For Math, we've been using Math in Focus, which someone already mentioned above, but I wanted to add that we discovered you can access samples of the ENTIRE curriculum online on the houghton mifflin harcourt site and keep your access for a YEAR. I just bring up the workbooks on my laptop and put a plastic report cover over my screen and my boys can do all their math right there on the computer. 

Scott Foresman Reading Street is also somewhat open and go the way we use it. Again, you can access samples online on the Pearson website and see the whole curriculum.

For an all-inclusive grade specific curriculum, "Journeys" is very "open and go", or in our case, we access the samples online and it's very "scroll down and go"  ;)

Just wanted to add that Trail Guides to Learning, which is very open and go, covers every subject except math and can be used with multiple ages at the same time.  If you have kids with no learning challenges, prep is about 30 minutes on a weekend for the whole next week unless you need to buy a few items for a science experiment.  Information is built up incrementally and reviewed in a spiral format so nothing is forgotten.

ENGLISH

Classics for Young Readers (we use these for Guided Reading)

Christian Liberty Nature Readers (Guided Reading)

McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (Guided Reading)

Writing with Ease

CAP Fable

First Language Lessons (grammar only)

Oral Language Exercises (we open to the bookmark & do a few per week)

All About Spelling (some prep)

All About Homophones

Phonetic Zoo (it's open & go now that I've done the set up ;) )

English from the Roots Up (cards only)

What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know (we read & discuss the sections on Idioms & Sayings)

MATH

Horizons Math (tiny bit of prep)

Kumon workbooks

Math fact cards in a small box (per student)

LANGUAGES

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana I

Ecoutez, Parlez! (CDs & workbooks)

Memoria Press Greek Alphabet workbook (zero prep)

BIBLE, HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY & SCIENCE

Essential Bible 100 Challenge (we open our Bibles and read the assignment)

Junior Bible Quiz Fact-Pack (pull out the cards & memorize)

What the Bible Is All About Handbook for Kids (they read their weekly assignment)

Our own History Bookshelves (choose a topic, select resources, read, write a report)

Story of the World CDs & books (on the shelves, well-used but not assigned [yet])

Draw-Write-Now books for History Pictures (the girls draw pictures related to History & file these in their binders)

Evan-Moor Beginning Geography (really too easy, but the girls do this entirely on their own)

Memoria Press States & Capitals Review workbook

Our own Science Bookshelves & materials (same system as History)