Menu

Better swimsuits?

solascriptura

First of all, don't wash them.  My girls swim competitively, and their suits might get thrown in the wash once or twice a year.  Rinse in cold water, and hang them up. 

Go to swim outlet dot com and get her some competition suits.  They cost a bit more, but they last.  Dolphin Uglies have held up well for practice too, and you can usually find some good deals on those.  

My daughter had a Lands End suit this year that held up worse than her one from Target. It faded and the material actually shredded away from the lining. So, I would also be interested to hear more recommendations. Although we swim nearly every day in the summer so I am not sure any suit can hold up to that!

My daughter had a Lands End suit this year that held up worse than her one from Target. It faded and the material actually shredded away from the lining. So, I would also be interested to hear more recommendations. Although we swim nearly every day in the summer so I am not sure any suit can hold up to that!

I agree! My other kids Old Navy suits have faded, but the stretch is still there.

Honestly, I don't know if there is much you can do unless you get a chlorine-resistant suit.  My daughters swam and dove competitively and their suits -- good quality ones -- would only last a year.  If you can get into the habit of rinsing them in cold water after swimming, they might last a little longer.  I have a chlorine resistant one myself, and it has lasted quite awhile but then I'm not in the pool very often.  I got it on Zappos.com.

I swim a lot and wear Speedo suits with their Endurance fabric (from swimoutlet.com).  It's some super-strong material that holds up like iron.  The lining disintegrates right on schedule, but the suits themselves just keep on going.  

The fabric feels a bit rough and the suits are much more expensive than standard suits. but they last so much longer, I think they're well worth it.  

They will refund you if you call them. They guarantee everything.

My daughter also wears polyester suits from Speedo or a couple of other companies. She wears them in the shower after swimming in them, and that seems to do the trick. She swims nine times a week for two or more hours at a time, rotating two or three suits, and they easily last a year. And when I say "two hours," that is two hours all in the water, not hopping in and out as you would swimming recreationally. We have not had 100% success with Dolfin--stay away from their reversible suits.

Our Lands End suits did, too!  I was just showing DH how the back was nearly sheer from stretching out.  We, however, have only went swimming about 20x this summer, so I was ticked when I realized that they were garbage.  Ours from Walmart lasted longer last year (lasted 2 summers before giving out like this.)

I'm definitely sending someone at LE an email.  By any chance, was your swimsuit a clearance item?  Ours were...and it makes me wonder...

My daughter's competition suit for swim team was a Speedo Mighty Python - it was made from "Xtra Life Lycra® Fiber" and the description says it "is engineered to have 5-10 times more durability than ordinary spandex fabrics. . . . provides resistance to suntan lotions and skin oils and chlorine better than conventional fabrics. . . . helps resist sagging and bagging, keeping swimwear fitting like new longer."  I can attest that it has held up beautifully - she wore it for both practices (3-4x/wk at 1-2 hours swimming per practice) and competitions; after several months of wear (when she outgrew it) it still looked like new.  The fabric is *much* thicker and less stretchy than other swimsuit materials.  

The good-quality competition suits can be expensive - this particular swimsuit is normally around $80 but it has been discontinued so remaining sizes can be found at deep discounts.  

So, I'd recommend that you go to a local swim shop and look at the suits used by swim teams (or there are several shops online - I linked to one).  If you can find a suit in the Speedo Xtra Life Lycra fabric, I would highly recommend it.  

Also, I only wash her swimsuit occasionally.  After every practice I rinse it in cold water and hang it to dry.  

My favorite are LL Bean suits, but I also like Speedo.  They always get rinsed right after swimming, but I do wash them frequently. I didn't realize they didn't need to be washed every time they were worn.  Good to know!     We don't swim competitively, but we do swim a lot in the summer.