Menu

So I cleaned my tub with oven cleaner . . .

KungFuPanda

It's a life changer. I used the cold oven cleaner, then came back in twenty minutes and wiped it down with a green scribble and some rinse water. There was no real scrubbing involved. The soap scum was just dissolved. It was like cleaning wet toothpaste out of a sink . . . you know, rinsing alone won't do it, but you need very little muscle.

I thought I share in case you let your tub go a little too long and you dread facing it. My tub is all shiny and perfect again.

My tub is a Kohler, plasticky (acrylic?) deep Greek Tub. I haven't used it yet, but I stuck my hand in it just for you and it's not slippery at all. It was pretty easy to get the cleaner rinsed and down the drain. I haven't attempted it on the tile yet, but if I do I'll report back. I probably wouldn't do this too often, but I'd gotten behind and needed a fresh start. I figure the layer of soP scum protected the tub from any corrosive effects. Of course, daily wipe-downs are the best, but I got lazy. I also tossed my shower curtain liner in the wash. I wouldn't hesitate to let my MIL take a bath in there now :-)

The kids' shower had been similarly neglected and was easy to clean without heroic measures. I just wiped it down with diluted Mr. Clean (I like the Lemon Fresh Scent.) I think my husband's beloved Irish Spring is the culprit. I may attempt switching him to liquid soap and see if that solves the soap scum problem. He won't like it, but he hasn't cleaned a tub in at least a decade.

It's a life changer. I used the cold oven cleaner, then came back in twenty minutes and wiped it down with a green scribble and some rinse water. There was no real scrubbing involved. The soap scum was just dissolved. It was like cleaning wet toothpaste out of a sink . . . you know, rinsing alone won't do it, but you need very little muscle.

I thought I share in case you let your tub go a little too long and you dread facing it. My tub is all shiny and perfect again.

this is great!  Thanks.

Could I Spray, then rinse, then give it a scrub, and rinse some more? I also don't want to worry about fumes.

I dunno. Try it on a spot and see what happens. The soaking in phase seems important to me, but I haven't tried another way. The fumes really don't seem that noxious to me. The smell is much milder than ammonia, vinegar, or any bathroom cleaners I've tried.

You couldn't have posted this yesterday?!?  I have scrubbing bubbles all over my tub right now waiting for me to come wipe it down. Sheesh.

I 'meant' to try it last week, but, you know . . .

To be clear, I don't recommend inhaling easy off or scrubbing bubbles. I'm sure they're both horrible. I just REALLY wanted a clean, shiny tub with very little effort on my part. Now I will attempt to be a good girl and wipe it down daily. I wipe down the rest of the bathroom almost daily, but I've been pretending the showers don't exist :-/

I think my husband's beloved Irish Spring is the culprit. I may attempt switching him to liquid soap and see if that solves the soap scum problem. 

I had exactly the same problem with bars of Irish Spring leaving really bad soap scum. I tossed out all the soap bars and he moved on to liquid soap. It's a LOT better. 

What about rusty/mineraly water deposits?

My shower doesn't get all that soap scummy or "dirty", but man, the RUST!

There's a Works for rust or use CLR bathroom cleaner. Both worked in a home with water so rusty it came out yellow (it was a rental and there was no space for a water softener). Dd1 refused to take a bath because she thought someone was peeing out of the faucet, we bought a filter for the shower and filled the tub that way.

If you actually DO a daily wipe down, it doesn't really matter what you use. I'll bet water and a washcloth could keep up if you're consistent. I tend to go with very diluted Mr Clean for daily* wipe downs on sinks, toilets, and showers (yeah, when I do it.).

*daily = 3 or 4 times a week

What about rusty/mineraly water deposits?

My shower doesn't get all that soap scummy or "dirty", but man, the RUST!

I learned from another poster on here that Bar Keeper's Friend will remove rust from almost anything. I love it! You can find it at Walmart or the grocery store. It comes in a round can like comet.