Menu

Homemade vanilla...

1. About how much does it cost per unit?

2. Cheap vodka's ok, right?

3. How many vanilla beans per bottle? 2-3, right???

4. Where do you get your pretty jars?

5. How long to steep? 6mos??

6. Where do you get your vanilla beans?

7. Anything else? I've been thinking about this since the thread came up last yr or the yr before.

8. Oh, yeah. And do you think vodka counts as alcohol, if you're using it for vanilla? The seminary has rules about alcohol in campus housing, & I'm thinking a bunch of bottles of vodka showing up in the trash all at the same time might look...funny. LOL

We love homemade vanilla extract. I bought my organic bourbon vanilla beans and bottles on Ebay and put about a dozen into a quart jar of rum. I guess it's double strength? I found a seller with good feedback that had a reasonable price on "seconds" that weren't as perfect but still good quality so the price wasn't too bad. I split them first or even give them a whirl with my stick blender and put it away to steep for a few months. I tried vodka, but I like the rum flavor best. It makes fantastic cocoa on a cold winter evening and folks seem to enjoy getting some as a gift.. That reminds me it about time to start a fresh batch for this winter...

Making vanilla is easy, repeat after me...Get big bottle of vodka, drop in 3-7 beans, put the lid on. Store in a dark cabinet and check and turn upside down every few weeks. Or just forget about it until Christmas.:001_smile: I make mine in the big cheap vodka bottle and re-bottle it in cute ones in November.

1. About how much does it cost per unit? not much

2. Cheap vodka's ok, right? yes

3. How many vanilla beans per bottle? 2-3, right??? I do the big bottle with 6-7

4. Where do you get your pretty jars? eBay or small seltzer bottles look pretty with a ribbon.

5. How long to steep? 6mos?? at least 3..six or more is extra good.

6. Where do you get your vanilla beans? eBay

7. Anything else? I've been thinking about this since the thread came up last yr or the yr before. Don't over think this, it's just too easy.

8. Oh, yeah. And do you think vodka counts as alcohol, if you're using it for vanilla? The seminary has rules about alcohol in campus housing, & I'm thinking a bunch of bottles of vodka showing up in the trash all at the same time might look...funny. LOL Print your pretty label out now and paste it on the big bottle. :D

I made my DH go buy the vodka... I told him to get the cheap stuff and he got one slightly better.

I poured about 4oz of vodka into one of my pretty glass bottles (I added 2 beans to that one) and then I put 6-8 beans (Split and squished a bit) into the 1.75L bottles. I shook the bottles (I had 2) every few days for the first 3 months--and then whenever I remembered. I started this batch last September--and while I did give some away for Christmas presents--they really were not ready yet--now that I know what ready is!.. I used the contents of one bottle for presents--I did add 1/2 a bean to each. I also put the remaining beans in my last bottle... it is now DARK and smells wonderful--the flavor is GREAT too!

I do feel funny having a vodka bottle in my pantry--but that is what vanilla extract is--even if you purchase it in the store. In Mexico it is often found in the liquor isle. If it makes you feel better just use a different glass container/jar to 'proof' yours in.

Hints: I used a combination of Madagascar and Tahitian vanilla beans. MORE beans is always better than not enough... I'll use 8-12 beans in a 1.75L next time

Allow at least 6 months if you want the good stuff.

I've ordered bottles here before. I used the 8oz syrup flask (I tied a card to the 'handle'). I'd probably go with a smaller bottle next time 4-6 oz. You can google 'decorative bottles' or just bottles and find suppliers.

I ordered my beans off of e-bay. There are lots of suppliers--and it does not take long to find the ones with good reps. BTW 99% of vanilla beans are naturally organic--the growers can't afford pesticides!

I am really lazy about making vanilla. I've made it with brandy before, but it always tasted slightly like brandy and not enough like vanilla.

For vodka, I use potato vodka because I don't want to use corn. ;)

For a bottle, I have an empty rum bottle. I re-use it over and over. The process is simple - slice the vanilla beans in half and put in rum bottle. Fill with vodka. Let sit in pantry or dark space. I use about 2 - 3 vanilla beans. Within about 8 weeks, you can start using it. The longer the beans sit in the vodka, the stronger the vanilla will be. I never take my beans out.

I bought a 5th of vodka - in Fort Worth at 6+ months pregnant. That was kind of interesting. I haven't had to throw any bottles away.

I am really lazy about making vanilla. I've made it with brandy before, but it always tasted slightly like brandy and not enough like vanilla.

For vodka, I use potato vodka because I don't want to use corn. ;)

For a bottle, I have an empty rum bottle. I re-use it over and over. The process is simple - slice the vanilla beans in half and put in rum bottle. Fill with vodka. Let sit in pantry or dark space. I use about 2 - 3 vanilla beans. Within about 8 weeks, you can start using it. The longer the beans sit in the vodka, the stronger the vanilla will be. I never take my beans out.

I bought a 5th of vodka - in Fort Worth at 6+ months pregnant. That was kind of interesting. I haven't had to throw any bottles away.

I just realized I didn't say it in the OP, but I meant the pretty bottles that I could use for gifts.

Basically, I"m trying to price homemade vanilla for Christmas gifts. For dh's side of the family, an empty rum bottle might work. For my side, the ingdredients would have to be secret, lol.

And the point about the seminary was more of a joke than an actual concern. I'm not enough of a rule-follower for that. Unfortunately. :001_huh: :lol:

I just realized I didn't say it in the OP, but I meant the pretty bottles that I could use for gifts.

Basically, I"m trying to price homemade vanilla for Christmas gifts.

Have you checked the dollar store? That would be my first place to check. Cuz I'm cheap, too.

And the point about the seminary was more of a joke than an actual concern. I'm not enough of a rule-follower for that. Unfortunately. :001_huh: :lol:

I hear ya. That whole rule thing has always been hard for me.

I'm pretty sure my cost was around $5 for each 8oz bottle gift.

My bottles were around $1.25 or less with shipping. I ordered them online and had them the next day...I could not find any 'pretty' bottles that were cheap enough in any local store...but I really liked the syrup bottles I used.

I forgot to add earlier that I also made vanilla sugar. I put 2 beans in a 2 pound bag of 'organic pressed cane sugar' (I just liked the off-white color of the sugar!). I closed the bag and let it set for 2-3 weeks. The flavor is AMAZING! I found some cute white ceramic pots at Michael's and they were well received--most of the gift recipients have asked how to make their own vanilla sugar. My dd's favorite use of vanilla sugar is to LIGHTLY sprinkle it on fresh berries (think salt). I've also used it for great cinnamon toast. My sister likes it in her coffee/tea...

• 1 month later...
I forgot to add earlier that I also made vanilla sugar. I put 2 beans in a 2 pound bag of 'organic pressed cane sugar' (I just liked the off-white color of the sugar!). I closed the bag and let it set for 2-3 weeks. The flavor is AMAZING! I found some cute white ceramic pots at Michael's and they were well received--most of the gift recipients have asked how to make their own vanilla sugar. My dd's favorite use of vanilla sugar is to LIGHTLY sprinkle it on fresh berries (think salt). I've also used it for great cinnamon toast. My sister likes it in her coffee/tea...

You know what? I think I'm going to do this instead. It should work out cheaper, the bottles I got are really too small for the vanilla anyway, & ... well, it follows the rules, works faster, & may come across more original. Or something.

I got stuck trying to decide between rum & vodka & looking for cheaper beans & then wondering if I was ultimately being *too* cheap, kwim? So now I'm feeling the pressure for the vanilla. For the vanilla sugar, I'm still on my game, right? :lol:

So if I need app. 2 beans/ 2 lb sugar, would it be better to then pour the sugar into my gift bottles w/out a bean, or do you still think the bean would look nice in it? They're a little small (height-wise) for a vanilla bean, but I think I could squeeze it.

Also, if I"m going to put a bean in ea jar anyway, would it be better to let the sugar sit in the jar to soak the vanilla flavor? You said 2-3 weeks--would longer be better? Is there a limit?

TY!

For pretty bottles, I bought some inexpensive wine coolers, drank the coolers, soaked off the labels, and decanted the vanilla into the bottles. I hand-wrote some pretty stick-on labels and tied a white ribbon around the neck of the bottles. They looked very nice.

I think I'll try rum next time around, though the cheap vodka was good. I want to try it skai's way.

The vanilla sugar's a good idea too. :001_smile:

For looks I used an 'organic pressed cane' sugar--I liked the off-white color. It works with regular white sugar too.

For 2 pounds I sliced open 2-3 pods (depending on their size). My sugar came in a zip-lock type bag--so I just inserted the pods and sealed it. I shook/stirred it every 3-4 days. It was ready in less than 3 weeks--but longer is better. I took the pods out before I put the sugar into little ceramic jars (just a bit less than one cup each). My dd used some vanilla sugar in her cereal this morning--it tasted just as fresh as it did this time last year when I made it.

We also love to sprinkle it on fresh strawberries.

I got my last bunch of vanilla beans (pods) off of e-bay last year. Just make sure that the ones you get are fresh (should be moist inside).

I was able to re use the same pods in a second batch of vanilla sugar. I made 2 bags the first time--and then I put ALL of the used beans in a third bag later--that sugar was the best!

I have about a quart of homemade vanilla in my pantry from last year. It is WONDERFUL now---it was OK last Christmas. I wish I would have waited longer before giving it out (I did leave one pod in each gift bottle).

I gave my family homemade vanilla and vanilla sugar. I've already received more requests for the vanilla sugar.

For looks I used an 'organic pressed cane' sugar--I liked the off-white color. It works with regular white sugar too.

For 2 pounds I sliced open 2-3 pods (depending on their size). My sugar came in a zip-lock type bag--so I just inserted the pods and sealed it. I shook/stirred it every 3-4 days. It was ready in less than 3 weeks--but longer is better. I took the pods out before I put the sugar into little ceramic jars (just a bit less than one cup each). My dd used some vanilla sugar in her cereal this morning--it tasted just as fresh as it did this time last year when I made it.

We also love to sprinkle it on fresh strawberries.

I got my last bunch of vanilla beans (pods) off of e-bay last year. Just make sure that the ones you get are fresh (should be moist inside).

I was able to re use the same pods in a second batch of vanilla sugar. I made 2 bags the first time--and then I put ALL of the used beans in a third bag later--that sugar was the best!

I have about a quart of homemade vanilla in my pantry from last year. It is WONDERFUL now---it was OK last Christmas. I wish I would have waited longer before giving it out (I did leave one pod in each gift bottle).

I gave my family homemade vanilla and vanilla sugar. I've already received more requests for the vanilla sugar.

Yippee!!! This sounds much more doable for now. Maybe I'll try the extract next yr. Thank you!!!

I didn't realize that the home inspector during the sale of our home was going to empty out the pantry --- all my bottles of homemade vanilla, in their original bottles, were on the top shelf stuck in between/hidden behind some the more used stuff on the top shelf. Of course they weren't labeled "homemade vanilla."

:lol:

They must have thought I was an alcoholic!

I only realized that they'd found them because none of my stuff was on the correct shelf. It was all in baskets and the baskets weren't in the spot

Embarassing. But thankfully I never had to meet them.

I didn't realize that the home inspector during the sale of our home was going to empty out the pantry --- all my bottles of homemade vanilla, in their original bottles, were on the top shelf stuck in between/hidden behind some the more used stuff on the top shelf. Of course they weren't labeled "homemade vanilla."

:lol: Yes, that could be embarrasing! LOL!!!

I just used the cheapest Vodka that I could find.

I remembered i'd thrown a Winn-Dixie Alcohol ad away a few hours ago, so i pulled it out to see what the going rate for vodka was. :tongue_smilie:

Looks like Gordon's is the cheapest in there at $13.99 for 1.75 liter. Is htat a cheap deal? LOL!!

Mmmm, I have my vanilla still going from 3 years ago. I just add more vodka to the bottle as I use it.

I remember the day I bought the vodka. I was at Costco with the usual piled-high cart and my 4 kids all around. We got some looks and smiles as we walked by with a huge bottle of vodka sitting right on top of it all. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still looking for vanilla beans, Costco has packages of 10 for $11.88!

The packages contain two glass vials of 5 vanilla beans each. I bought several packages along with two 10 pound bags of organic sugar to make vanilla sugar for Christmas gifts.

But, I'm having trouble finding pretty containers to put them in. I struck out at JoAnns and Michaels. Any suggestions?

I found these really cool looking bottles/flasks at crate and barrel...they are a bit expensive if you're making a lot of them but would make a great presentation of vanilla! I'm still trying to find some sugar containers...I think this year I am going to make some vanilla sugar and I might use these bottles for some homemade raspberry vinegar.... If I get started on it soon enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking in my local health food store this week. They had organic vanilla bean pods. They cost $15.00 Cdn for 2 pods! From what I've read on here I need at least two pods per bottle. Is that correct?

And how long can I use the bean pods? Meaning do I leave the pods in the bottle as I use the vanilla and then can I add more alcohol and make a new batch with the same pods?

Holy smokes - that is IT??????

I can make this myself???????

I'm going to try it!!!

And Crissy - that label is awesome!!!!!

WOW!

I never knew about doing this but after reading the post I'm ready to go.

:auto:

Only thing...

I need to know how to get there??

what type of vodka do you use?

I need a bit more direction :)

I know where a liquor store is, but I've only been there to get boxes.

I was actually in there last week as I needed some strong boxes to pack a few things away.

When I'm there I glance at all the decorative bottles but i have to admit I don't know the first thing about vodka and the wide range in prices.

do you all use the cheapest? do look for a lower alchol content? is there organic?

how do you measure, 2 cups of vodka to 3 beans??

thanks

Having made a few batches I've found the more beans the better. fwiw, 7-9 beans per big bottle of vodka (not a gallon) produces a very aromatic and delicious vanilla.

Here is a website that has some interesting info including the legal definition of vanilla extract. According to their calculations, 1 cup of vodka would need about 6 beans in order to meet the legal definition of single strength vanilla.

Having made a few batches I've found the more beans the better. fwiw, 7-9 beans per big bottle of vodka (not a gallon) produces a very aromatic and delicious vanilla.

By 7-9 beans you mean 7-9 whole bean pods don't you and not 7-9 beans from inside the pod? I'm sorry to need extra clarification but I don't want to a) spend money unnecessarily or b) put in way too few vanilla beans or pods and not make anything worthwhile.

Thanks!

Whole beans and you scrape or kind of split them end to end. You can reuse the beans so nothing goes to waste. The vanilla gets darker and doesnt' take as long to make. And we turned the bottle every week or so.

By 7-9 beans you mean 7-9 whole bean pods don't you and not 7-9 beans from inside the pod? I'm sorry to need extra clarification but I don't want to a) spend money unnecessarily or b) put in way too few vanilla beans or pods and not make anything worthwhile.

Thanks!

Edited by Tammyla

ok

I have a question...

This is the gist of what I got after reading replies:

You can either put vodka in little bottles with 1-2 bean in it or you can use a big bottle of vodka (not a gallon like somebody said so what is the measurement for that)with 6-7 beans i n it.

1) the measurement for the big bottle of vodka

2) If you do the big bottle of vodka version then after it cures you can transfer it into small pretty bottles for gift giving?

Thanks!

Holly

ok

I have a question...

This is the gist of what I got after reading replies:

You can either put vodka in little bottles with 1-2 bean in it or you can use a big bottle of vodka (not a gallon like somebody said so what is the measurement for that)with 6-7 beans i n it.

1) the measurement for the big bottle of vodka The original vodka label has been switched, but the bottle says 750ml. It's the regular wine bottle size. A gallon just would take more beans of course;).

2) If you do the big bottle of vodka version then after it cures you can transfer it into small pretty bottles for gift giving? Yes and you'll need a funnel:001_smile:. The left over beans can be popped into the little bottles or reused.

Thanks!

Holly

Now I want something with vanilla in it. :D