Menu

Weird Teeth in DS

Ipsey

My son's x-rays year ago showed he's missing his adult lateral incisors--the ones next to the very front teeth (on top). Bummer, but not that big a deal. His other teeth would grow to fill those in and, if we ever had the money, we could get implants to make his smile more "normal" but. . . it would mostly be cosmetic, and probably not gonna happen.

So, his cuspid on his left came in and took the place where the incisor should have been. It looks fine. A little sharp, but the dentist says they could grind the tip off of it a little bit to make it look less odd.  On his left side, however. The tip of the canine came through just over a year ago, and there's about half a centimeter showing. It's been that way forEVER it seems.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Weird teeth. Grrrr.

Yes.  DH had that actually.  It took time and the tooth never did come down completely but no one really notices.

And I had to had my incisors removed.  Smile is fine.  Canines were ground down just a tiny bit and it all worked out just fine.  Thankfully no one made a big deal out of it before I had the grinding or I might have been self-conscious.

I don't think either of those issues are unusual.  Oldest DS had a couple of adult teeth retained in his palate.  As part of his orthodontic work he had to have a small surgery where the endodontist attached chains so the orthodontist could pull those teeth down.  And youngest DS is missing a tooth, although the orthodontist believes he can make the other teeth fill in the space so DS won't need an implant.  Which is great because from what I've heard implants cost around $5,000.  That would be in addition to the $6,000 we're already paying for braces.

I am missing four bottom molars and my wisdom teeth.  My oldest ds is missing some teeth and his laterals are "peg teeth", in addition to other weird problems.  My dad and his sister are both missing permanent teeth, and all of my dad's teeth were pointy like canines.  The dental genetics in my family are unfun.

My youngest son and I are both missing the same two teeth on the bottom.  The molars just behind the bottom canine, I think.  I still have the baby tooth that was never pushed out and the other baby tooth was pulled due to decay and I've had a bridge where that was and now I'm getting an implant.  I also had braces at 23 and the dentist never mentioned pulling them and moving my teeth to close the hole.

My youngest still has his baby teeth and has had braces and his baby teeth were left intact.  The ortho and dentist believe he will probably just keep the baby teeth for many years (like me, I'm 47) and then if he has problems and loses them, he can get implants.

I'm missing my laterals and have prosthetics in place. Interestingly, I just had my son at the orthodontist this past week to start orthodontic work because he's missing his laterals too. The plan for him is the opposite as it was for me. For me, we pulled the teeth apart and put in prosthetics; for him we are going to squeeze them together and file down the canines to look like laterals. I don't know what to tell you about the undescended canine though. Sorry.

Ds1 is missing a tooth and these are the options the ortho told us. Ds chose to have the gap closed. It was a long process since they have to shift the molars; those teeth don't like to be moved. But it all worked out well.

Prior to this the dentist said not to worry about the missing adult tooth, that nothing needed to be done unless the baby tooth fell out. It did. So we chose to pursue ortho treatment.

Dd13 had one undescended canine. She got braces to deal with some other spacing issues and one of the last things the ortho did as part of her treatment was to chain up the undescended tooth and "drag it down". Took about a month, but it ended up right where it was supposed to go. She just got her braces off and her smile looks lovely now.

I've seen some interesting teeth situations.  My brother had one growing once from the roof of his mouth!  My daughter had one growing straight out from her top gum (out, instead of down).  She also had all four incisors removed at one point.  Her mouth is so petite, there was just no room for all her teeth.  Her smile looks perfectly normal now.  Dentists are able to shape teeth, which helps.

Dd13 had one undescended canine. She got braces to deal with some other spacing issues and one of the last things the ortho did as part of her treatment was to chain up the undescended tooth and "drag it down". Took about a month, but it ended up right where it was supposed to go. She just got her braces off and her smile looks lovely now.

My niece had the same procedure.

warning...icky details ahead:

She said the worst part was that the dentist burned off part of her gum to expose more tooth. She didnt feel it...but she smelled it and it smelled awful, burning flesh awful.

My son's x-rays year ago showed he's missing his adult lateral incisors--the ones next to the very front teeth (on top). Bummer, but not that big a deal. His other teeth would grow to fill those in and, if we ever had the money, we could get implants to make his smile more "normal" but. . . it would mostly be cosmetic, and probably not gonna happen.

So, his cuspid on his left came in and took the place where the incisor should have been. It looks fine. A little sharp, but the dentist says they could grind the tip off of it a little bit to make it look less odd.  On his left side, however. The tip of the canine came through just over a year ago, and there's about half a centimeter showing. It's been that way forEVER it seems.

Weird teeth. Grrrr.

This is me...except I'm missing 7 other teeth in addition.  Let me say...this is NOT just a cosmetic problem.  No fewer than 3 orthos, 2 oral surgeons. and 3 dentists -- two which are highly trained, not just your basic drill & fill dentist, believe my lack of lateral incisors (and the fact my canines moved out off position to close the space, leaving my baby canines in place) directly contributed to my TMJ.  My eye teeth are not in proper position to help keep my jaw from slipping.   I did keep my baby teeth until my 30's, when 2 teeth began to abscess.  At that point we figured we'd just go ahead and get the implants and have the work done.  Unfortunately, it wasn't done correctly...needless to say $50,000, and 15 years later (and still $10,000 to go) until this reconstruction is finally done.  

I would seek out other opinions in the matter.   Implants aren't an option for children, so it's not something that you need to worry about now -- however maintaining the space is a different matter that should be addressed if implants are to be accomplished later.  Implants are a much better option than a bridge, or developing TMJ as a young adult.  Because even though there is a surgery to "fix" it -- it usually comes back.  The headaches are not fun, and the pain with chewing even worse.

Weird teeth. Grrrr.

Yes, my older dd had the same thing. We did braces (the dentist ground the adult incisors which came in all pointy), and I'm so glad we did. Her smile was worth every penny we paid.

Imagine this smile with gaps and weirdly shaped teeth.

No, your son's other teeth would not fill the gap. There would always be a gap.

My mother was missing the laterals and canines. Her front teeth were pulled and she was given dentures at thirteen. She still doesn't like to smile with her mouth open.

I never got my laterals but my top teeth look fine. My brother never got his canines and had an extra front tooth in the roof of his mouth. That was pulled and his teeth are fine. My other brother got only one weirdly shaped lateral which was pulled. My daughter got the extra incisor in the roof of her mouth but all my other kids have had normal teeth.

It's in the genes. :D

I'm missing my lower lateral incisors but I have 2 Maryland bridges to replace the missing teeth. Having a bridge to replace the lateral incisors or closing spaces and filing off the cuspids/canines to resemble laterals will depend on the cepholemetric X-ray and his profile. Some people can still have a nice, full smile without the laterals.

HTH.

My child has Ectodermal Dysplasia, so yes...weird teeth are our norm. We expect to pay up to 100K on his mouth by his 21st birthday, most of which will not be covered by insurance. We have peg (or conical) teeth, missing teeth, baby teeth that will be there till adulthood, you name it. He has only seven permanent teeth. It's a rare disorder, but actually many people have it to some degree and don't know it. More info is available at www.nfed.org

Yes, my older dd had the same thing. We did braces (the dentist ground the adult incisors which came in all pointy), and I'm so glad we did. Her smile was worth every penny we paid.

Imagine this smile with gaps and weirdly shaped teeth.

No, your son's other teeth would not fill the gap. There would always be a gap.

Yes, actually, they already did on his left side. The dentist said this would likely happen, and it has on that side. 

If we had the money for braces, it would be lovely.

It is really just cosmetic in his case. If it were a health issue, we'd find a way to make it work. But that undescended tooth . . .  grrr!

This is me...except I'm missing 7 other teeth in addition.  Let me say...this is NOT just a cosmetic problem.  No fewer than 3 orthos, 2 oral surgeons. and 3 dentists -- two which are highly trained, not just your basic drill & fill dentist, believe my lack of lateral incisors (and the fact my canines moved out off position to close the space, leaving my baby canines in place) directly contributed to my TMJ.  My eye teeth are not in proper position to help keep my jaw from slipping.   I did keep my baby teeth until my 30's, when 2 teeth began to abscess.  At that point we figured we'd just go ahead and get the implants and have the work done.  Unfortunately, it wasn't done correctly...needless to say $50,000, and 15 years later (and still $10,000 to go) until this reconstruction is finally done.  

I would seek out other opinions in the matter.   Implants aren't an option for children, so it's not something that you need to worry about now -- however maintaining the space is a different matter that should be addressed if implants are to be accomplished later.  Implants are a much better option than a bridge, or developing TMJ as a young adult.  Because even though there is a surgery to "fix" it -- it usually comes back.  The headaches are not fun, and the pain with chewing even worse.

Oh! No, indeed. I don't think missing 9 teeth would merely be a cosmetic problem.

The dentist who identified my DS missing teeth told me he had, the previous year, seen a child come in who was missing 29 of his adult teeth.

I said, "Oh, my goodness! What are you going to do."

Dentist said, "Mercifully, that wasn't my decision to make. His family moved a few months after the diagnosis."

Yikes, this sounds so hard for you. I'm sorry for it. :(