Menu

If you're allergic to cats and have one, what do you do???

1GirlTwinBoys

We are soooooo attached to this little kitten we found on our property that someone dumped.  I've never wanted a cat inside but this one is different.  Her personality is not like any other cat I've seen.  We do have an outdoor cat already but never one inside the house.  We've been keeping her in our basement for the past week.  Problem is when I go down there, I pay dearly with my eyes swelling, runny nose and just feeling terrible.  I started on Nasonex this morning to get some relief, as this is also my worst allergy season due to ragweed and pollen.

Here is my dilemma:

We have a good indoor home waiting for her starting Thursday if we want her to go.  My entire family is so attached to her an we want to keep her but I'm afraid of dealing with the allergy issues.  Will we eventually get used to the dander, or will it only get worse?

My DH has the worst allergies of all of us, but he takes Nasonex often and is not bothered by anything now.  He actually sleeps with the cat downstairs.  :huh:

I'm just so torn was what to do.  Is there any hope we can keep her?

Dh is severely allergic to cats.

We had cats for about 12 years together.

He has asthma and he could get by.

Then we went for a time without cats and then tried to get another cat. His reaction was so severe that I returned the cat and we won't have them in the future.

My experience is that he did get used to the dander, but we also just got used to him having decreased lung function and more asthma flare ups.

I do sympathize. We'd love to have a cat again, but seeing the difference without a cat, I prefer dh's health.

He'd be willing to try allergy shots to have a cat...so that may be the way to go if you do decide to keep the kitten.

And change air filters regularly and use heavy duty ones.

I'm some allergic, but not terrible - it might be that the cat stuff only bothers you during the season in which your other allergens are present. For me, I just don't pet the cat during cedar season and it's all fine. And I do wash my hands after petting if I start to feel itchy or snuffly any other time.

Not to cats, but I'm allergic to dogs (it seems) and we have two. I take Zyrtec daily, and I'm known to pop several benedryl at night when the Zyrtec has worn off, but it's too early to take another Zyrtec (one a day). It keeps it at bay. The worst I feel is the wee hours of the morning when both the benedryl and the zyrtec has worn off, and I have to wait for the next dose to kick in. It's doable like this - for me. I can't imagine not having a GSD in the house, allergic or not.

Color me confused. I would never take pills every day( multiple times, as someone said) of my life in order to have an indoor animal. There's no way I'd expect my children/spouse to do the same. If the animal can't be kept safely outdoors, then I would let it go to the other home that wants it.

My son is allergic to cats. Someone dumped a stray here during the winter. I've done everything possible to make her life a good one, but it will never be allowed indoors.

I take something daily for environmental allergies (that includes cats, dogs, chickens and cows, rabbits etc) along with weekly allergy shots. Adding a cat to the house isn't any worse for me than spending more time outside with the ragweed. 

If I ONLY had an allergy to cats and did not need to take anything for other allergies or already follow specific procedures I may feel differently. When you are already allergic to almost everything, what's one more thing.

When we got cats, I started taking a Zyrtec daily. I was taking it most of the year anyway for seasonal allergies. About a year later I realized I was no longer taking the Zyrtec daily. I was just forgetting to take it some days. I was doing fine. I seemed to have adjusted to the cat dander. I do wash pillowcases and sheets more often, though but not daily or anything.

That does seem to be rare though so I'd be cautious.

We are soooooo attached to this little kitten we found on our property that someone dumped.  I've never wanted a cat inside but this one is different.  Her personality is not like any other cat I've seen.  We do have an outdoor cat already but never one inside the house.  We've been keeping her in our basement for the past week.  Problem is when I go down there, I pay dearly with my eyes swelling, runny nose and just feeling terrible.  I started on Nasonex this morning to get some relief, as this is also my worst allergy season due to ragweed and pollen.

Here is my dilemma:

We have a good indoor home waiting for her starting Thursday if we want her to go.  My entire family is so attached to her an we want to keep her but I'm afraid of dealing with the allergy issues.  Will we eventually get used to the dander, or will it only get worse?

My DH has the worst allergies of all of us, but he takes Nasonex often and is not bothered by anything now.  He actually sleeps with the cat downstairs.  :huh:

NO.  Allergies tend to worsen, not get better with direct exposure like that, according to my doctor. 

Get rid of the cat.  Who on earth would want to mess with their immune system and take shots or pills just to voluntarily bring in a pet?  Not understanding that. 

I don't allow pets at all yet a tenant (who was quickly out the door) thought she had the right to bring in Grandma's cat, when Grandma died, despite the fact that the Lease prohibited it.  I had to do a repair one night, and I suffered overnight miserably for that one, with brief exposure.    I can't even imagine if I moved a cat into MY space where I am all the time. 

Don't do it.  I'm sure a lot of pet lovers will convince you otherwise, but breathing is not optional. 

When we got cats, I started taking a Zyrtec daily. I was taking it most of the year anyway for seasonal allergies. About a year later I realized I was no longer taking the Zyrtec daily. I was just forgetting to take it some days. I was doing fine. I seemed to have adjusted to the cat dander. I do wash pillowcases and sheets more often, though but not daily or anything.

That does seem to be rare though so I'd be cautious.

That IS rare.  That's great that it happened for you though! 

I've had an allergy get better over time, but I wasn't subject to the irritant 24/7. 

Not to cats, but I'm allergic to dogs (it seems) and we have two. I take Zyrtec daily, and I'm known to pop several benedryl at night when the Zyrtec has worn off, but it's too early to take another Zyrtec (one a day). It keeps it at bay. The worst I feel is the wee hours of the morning when both the benedryl and the zyrtec has worn off, and I have to wait for the next dose to kick in. It's doable like this - for me. I can't imagine not having a GSD in the house, allergic or not.

Honestly, I cannot comprehend this sort of thinking.  You are on multiple medications daily and it isn't really covering your symptoms (popping SEVERAL benedryl? Is that even safe?), but you still must have multiple dogs, despite full time suffering caused directly by a dog's presence?  Maybe I missed something.

I don't get it. 

Honestly, I cannot comprehend this sort of thinking.  You are on multiple medications daily and it isn't really covering your symptoms (popping SEVERAL benedryl? Is that even safe?), but you still must have multiple dogs, despite full time suffering caused directly by a dog's presence?  Maybe I missed something.

I don't get it. 

That's okay - you don't have to get it :)

I didn't develop the allergy until after my last pregnancy. I wasn't going to get rid of the dogs I had.

And popping a few benedryl a few days a week is safe, from what I understand, until something more long term can be worked out (shots, etc, but really - that's still medication). There are many, many people who suffer from year 'round allergies (environmental), and have to take medication for them daily; what would you suggest they do - not go outside at all?

First, I have no pet allergies. But I love cats (have had cats through my entire life). Even so, if having one made me feel miserable, I would not do it. I would not want to take allergy meds daily or get allergy shots. My SIL is allergic to cats, does take allergy shots, and owns two of them. To each their own.

But since you have a good home for her, I would let her go, as hard as it will be for you, since you have gotten attached.

If the cat has another good home waiting, give it away.

I have cat allergies.   I absolutely love cats, and hate living without them.   But, I have been much healthier since we went cat free. 

Cat allergies build up over time, and cause your immune system to be compromised while you live with a cat.   So your DH may be fine now, but won't be over time.  He will also be more prone to colds and illnesses.   It's just not worth it, and it's really something you see usually see progressing over time.

Everyone is different and has different opinions, but I really think that people with cat allergies should not live with cats.   JMHO, everyone else is entitled to their opinion and I judge no one else :) !!!

HTH!

Air purifier and no cats in bedroom.

That has helped the most. Dh is allergic to nearly every environmental allergen they tested for, not just cats and dogs (which we have 2 of each). He's taking medicine and such, but air purifier really works against the inside allergens like cats, dogs, dust mites, etc. He just started allergy shots, which we're hoping to help with the other allergies.

My sister is the one who gave us this tip. She's allergic to cats as well, but the air purifier in her room has allowed her to not only keep her cat, but the cat stays in her room most of the time, too.

Color me confused. I would never take pills every day( multiple times, as someone said) of my life in order to have an indoor animal. There's no way I'd expect my children/spouse to do the same. If the animal can't be kept safely outdoors, then I would let it go to the other home that wants it.

My son is allergic to cats. Someone dumped a stray here during the winter. I've done everything possible to make her life a good one, but it will never be allowed indoors.

I understand your reluctance. But, for those of us with multiple allergies (pollen, mold, etc) taking a pill every day is just a way of life. I would never go without my allergy medication anymore that I would skip my blood pressure medication.

If 'cat' is the only thing causing an allergic reaction, I can see your point. An indoor cat  would be a difficult thing for your son to cope with. But if 'cat' is the 'one more thing' that tips you over the edge, life might improve all around if allergy meds are part of the day.

ETA : Dh is allergic to cats. I'm allergic to 'air' (not really...just everything floating around in it) We have two cats. We keep them out of our bedroom and have an air filter.

Do the kids have allergies? Or just the adults?

Adults can make their own decisions about whatever measures they want to take. Kids can't. My DH is still upset with his parents because they chose to surround him with something he was allergic to his entire childhood.

That's okay - you don't have to get it :)

I didn't develop the allergy until after my last pregnancy. I wasn't going to get rid of the dogs I had.

And popping a few benedryl a few days a week is safe, from what I understand, until something more long term can be worked out (shots, etc, but really - that's still medication). There are many, many people who suffer from year 'round allergies (environmental), and have to take medication for them daily; what would you suggest they do - not go outside at all?

There are people who suffer from year round allergies, but they don't intentionally and voluntarily bring their irritants into the home to live inside with them in the same air space.  They probably do tend to spend less time outside than others, but you can do that, assuming you don't have an outside job. 

I don't get the voluntarily part. 

Do the kids have allergies? Or just the adults?

Adults can make their own decisions about whatever measures they want to take. Kids can't. My DH is still upset with his parents because they chose to surround him with something he was allergic to his entire childhood.

I totally understand where your husband is coming from here.  I would likely perceive that as if they didn't love me to make me suffer, when they had the power to avoid it. 

I hope he doesn't feel that way. 

There are people who suffer from year round allergies, but they don't intentionally and voluntarily bring their irritants into the home to live inside with them in the same air space.  They probably do tend to spend less time outside than others, but you can do that, assuming you don't have an outside job. 

I don't get the voluntarily part. 

Sure it's voluntary on their end. They could, hypothetically, get a job working from their home, order in groceries, never take their children out to play, etc.

Just as you do not understand the voluntarily thing, I do not understand getting rid of a beloved family pet, assuming one already exists in the house, when it could be as simple a fix as taking a pill every day. I'm certainly not going to tell our 11 year old Italian Greyhound that her years of devotion to us means nothing, because I suddenly developed an allergy (which I easily fix with one little pill) - so out she goes (or, rather, to the vet to be put down she would go, given her age and chicken nugget snitching tendencies).

I understand your reluctance. But, for those of us with multiple allergies (pollen, mold, etc) taking a pill every day is just a way of life. I would never go without my allergy medication anymore that I would skip my blood pressure medication.

If 'cat' is the only thing causing an allergic reaction, I can see your point. An indoor cat  would be a difficult thing for your son to cope with. But if 'cat' is the 'one more thing' that tips you over the edge, life might improve all around if allergy meds are part of the day.

ETA : Dh is allergic to cats. I'm allergic to 'air' (not really...just everything floating around in it) We have two cats. We keep them out of our bedroom and have an air filter.

I too have multiple allergies.  I started out on all kinds of meds, and eventually slowly went med free.      

I am not saying everyone can do this.   I am not saying everyone wants to do this.   I am saying that in many cases there are alternatives to meds, for blood pressure too.  Just because you have multiple allergies doesn't mean that you definitely have to take meds every single day.  

Sure it's voluntary on their end. They could, hypothetically, get a job working from their home, order in groceries, never take their children out to play, etc.

Just as you do not understand the voluntarily thing, I do not understand getting rid of a beloved family pet, assuming one already exists in the house, when it could be as simple a fix as taking a pill every day. I'm certainly not going to tell our 11 year old Italian Greyhound that her years of devotion to us means nothing, because I suddenly developed an allergy (which I easily fix with one little pill) - so out she goes (or, rather, to the vet to be put down she would go, given her age and chicken nugget snitching tendencies).

What if it is your child and not you who cannot tolerate the animal?

Would you force your child to take drugs to deal with your pet?  You can make that decision, if you want, but your kid cannot.  You make it for him/her. 

"Easy fix" is debatable.  Most drugs have other side effects. 

Here is my dilemma:

I'd probably try and keep her as an outdoor cat, at least for as long as she stays and gets along with the other cat. I don't think making an outdoor cat suddenly an indoor one is the best plan. It will probably get out eventually anyway, and living in a basement doesn't sound like a wonderful life, really, for the cat. This is completely separate from the allergy issue, more quality of life for the cat itself.

On the allergy side of things, it really sounds like an indoor cat is tipping your allergies in total to a new level. I'd really think twice about doing that to yourself. You really don't know how you'll be long-term, and adding in a new and powerful allergy trigger doesn't sound very smart. As adorable as this kitten is, it will soon become a large and potentially destructive animal in the basement. Who really knows? Will it be harder to get rid of then when the family is even more attached to it?

What if it is your child and not you who cannot tolerate the animal?

Would you force your child to take drugs to deal with your pet?  You can make that decision, if you want, but your kid cannot.  You make it for him/her. 

"Easy fix" is debatable.  Most drugs have other side effects. 

If a zyrtec fixed the allergy issues, yes I would. I make decisions for my children daily, that they may or may not like. My middle son didn't care for the disgusting pain meds and antibiotics after his lung surgery - I made him take them regardless.

And you're right - "easy fix" is debatable. I do not think we're going to agree here. We have no problem employing the help of modern medicine any time we feel it would make things better, or easier.

No way.

Technically, I'm allergic to cats and dogs.  I have 2 cats and 1 (was 2) dogs.  But my allergy is pretty mild.  I have to literally roll around with them on the floor/bed for extended periods of time and forget to wash my hands before my eyes and nose go crazy.

But if I couldn't live around pets without stuffing myself full of pills or shots? No, thank you. 

and living in a basement doesn't sound like a wonderful life, really, for the cat. This is completely separate from the allergy issue, more quality of life for the cat itself.

Really!?!  It's a very nice finished walkout basement with carpet, a fireplace, windows, big screen tv and fridge etc...  It's nice enough for my family to "live" in it, so I don't see why it wouldn't be good enough for a cat. :confused1:  She seems to love it down there.

If you want to keep her as an indoor cat, I would suggest that you invest in a good air purifier and put limits on where she can be. She doesn't need the run of the house unless your house is really very small. A few rooms, none of which is a bedroom, is quite sufficient. You should wash your hands after playing with the cat, and change your clothes (you might want to keep some special "cat smocks" for playtime, in fact, to facilitate this) if they have cat hair on them.

I would also recommend that you (and by "you" I mean "the least allergice person in the family") vacuum your house frequently (especially any area the cat goes in) using a vacuum with a HEPA filter,and comb the cat once or twice a day on the porch, washing the brush afterwards and, if possible, wiping kitty with a damp cloth. If the cat is amenable, you might even bathe her once a week - just water, no soap or a gentle soap only. And, of course, a higher-quality diet can reduce dander on your cat (or, to phrase it correctly, low quality diets *cause* dander to increase). It's the dander that makes you sick.

None of these will eliminate the need for medication in a severely allergic individual, but they will reduce it. You might also consider immune therapy - you'd have to talk to your doctor about that.

I love cats myself, so I don't think it is necessarily unreasonable to do everything you can to keep one. However, you should be aware that allergies sometimes worsen with exposure. If your symptoms get worse after having had the cat for a year or two, it will be that much harder to rehome her at that point.

I wouldn't bring a cat into a home with an allergic person when there was another good home for it. We finally rehomed our cat with my inlaws when it's companion cat died several years ago. It was hard, but she's happy with her new family. My son's allergies and asthma are better.

If you want to do it anyway, I'll give you the advice the allergist gave us with my son. We did follow this for him:

wash hands after petting the cat

do not allow the cat in the bedroom

take a shower and change into fresh, non cat exposed clothes just before bed; this would go for hubby/naps/any time someone is getting into the bed

have a good quality hepa unit in the bedroom

have someone else wipe down the cat with a wet cloth daily

My son still needed daily zyrtec and singulair, but he has other allergies as well.

If you're going to do it, I would consider a nasal steroid like Flonase. They do make a nasal antihistamine too. I bet you'll need more than that, though. You could try daily Zyrtec.

I wouldn't do it, even though I would very much want to!

My ds is allergic to most things outside as well as some foods, but we can keep him off meds if we keep him inside away from those foods, and we have an air purifier. Even allergy meds that are deemed safe like Benadryl can ause liver damage over time, and my ds is only 10, and he needs his liver to last a long time. Cats is one of his allergies, and we would never bring one into the house knowing he would need to take meds just to live in his own house. Kids over pets. His mold allergy leads to asthma attacks if we do not protect him from mold exposure, but he has not taken asthma meds in over a year, because we do work to protect him. Just my .02.