Menu

Help me with my nasty kitchen grout.

Katy

We moved into a new house about 3 months ago and I've been ignoring the deplorable state of the grout in the kitchen and just mopping occasionally.  I can't ignore it any more.  It's black in the middle of the room and white off on the edges.

The best grout cleanser I've ever used was boiling water and oxy clean, but it's a pain in the rear not only due to dangerous hot water, but also because you have to basically leave it on overnight to get perfect results  (people in this family staying out of the kitchen for 8 hours?  hah!).

Please share your best grout cleansing tips.  Thanks!

We're ripping ours up in the next year in favor of... anything else. It's terrible. Unless I want to spend two hours hunched over with a steam cleaner or a toothbrush, it only gets WORSE when I mop (because the mop water runs into the grout).

I use those Clorox pens for stain removal on clothes. I leave it on the grout about 30 minutes. I then take a toothbrush and give it a scrub. Then I leave it on again for another 30 minutes. The next day I seal it with a regular grout sealer. It usually lasts about 3 or 4 years doing it that way.

The trick is using only soap and water to clean the floors. Those other shiny products leave an ever so slight sticky residue which adheres to the grout which then retains dust.

Hope that works for you as well as it does me.

I had tried many different products but Finazzle was the only cleaner that worked on our bathroom grout. Worked great but it's very important to follow the directions. IIRC, it's a type of acid so you'd have to wear gloves, work in a ventilated area and keep people and animals out of there until you clean it off.

Well at 15 minutes it wasn't any whiter, but DH wanted to watch The Finder on Netflix instead of listen to me gripe about it, so when he asked me to just leave it for one episode I did, and then got tired and went to bed.  When I got up this morning it had significantly lightened.  It's not white, but it's lighter everywhere and there are splotches of pure white, ironically in the places I didn't try and scrub it at all.  And this is in the blackest area of the floor (between the sink, cook top, fridge, and silverware drawer).

So I'm thinking tonight before I go to bed I'll block off an area, spray it heavily, and leave it alone overnight.  If a few coats with no scrubbing takes care of it, I'll count the woolite carpet spray as a victory.  It definitely smells much better than bleach, and is easier than oxyclean and scrubbing, so I'll take it.

The carpet spray does instruct to spray carpet thoroughly, leave it at least overnight until it's completely dry, and then vacuum it up, and supposively the stains will come up with the dust.

BTW, I found the woolite at Dollar General Store for $3.25 a can.

I was going to suggest a Shark Steamer with Oxyclean.  That worked wonders for me in our last house, but it was hard work (think 3 hours of hot, sweaty steam).  I vowed never to have white grout again, and I don't have any in our current house.

But, now that I see how well the Woolite carpet cleaner is working for you, I'm gonna get some -- not for my tile, but for my carpeted stairs.  If it works that well for grout, maybe it will work for my grungy stair carpet.  :o)  

Hey Folks,

Everyone should go back and reread post #9!  :party:

Earlier today I clicked on the link to a blog graciously linked by MeAndTheBoys and the "recipe" worked like magic!  This miracle cleaner is composed of nothing but heated vinegar and cream of tartar.  I am utterly dumbfounded by how well it worked.  Essentially all I did was scrub it on with a toothbrush and then watched the grime (serious grout grime) evaporate before my eyes.  Let the grout completely dry and you will be amazed.

Go try it and post your results.   :hurray:

I'm glad that worked for you!  I haven't even tried it; she's just a sweet, clever friend and neighbor and i remembered reading it on her blog.  I will have to try it too!!! (and I"m going to tell her I posted it and ya'll tried it out!)

Read her blog while you're at it--she's a sweet lady.

http://prairiegirltosouthernbelle.blogspot.com/2013/02/clean-it-diy-grout-cleaner.html

Betsy

Hey Folks,

Everyone should go back and reread post #9!  :party:

Earlier today I clicked on the link to a blog graciously linked by MeAndTheBoys and the "recipe" worked like magic!  This miracle cleaner is composed of nothing but heated vinegar and cream of tartar.  I am utterly dumbfounded by how well it worked.  Essentially all I did was scrub it on with a toothbrush and then watched the grime (serious grout grime) evaporate before my eyes.  Let the grout completely dry and you will be amazed.

Go try it and post your results.   :hurray:

Okay, verdict on the cream of tartar - I don't know if my grout is just too far gone, but it doesn't work for me.  In places where the paste was thick it sort of dries as a film on top of the black grout, but as soon I wipe the film off it's not any cleaner.

I refuse to scrub with oxyclean and boiling water or soak with bleach for hours while it's too hot to open the windows, so I'm going to hand scrub the film off and try painting the grout.  I don't want to drive two hours to the city to the closest place where Grout Renew is in stock, so I'm going to experiment with homemade chalk paint first.  I figure if it flakes off the worst thing that happens is I scrub it off and coat it with grout renew after I go into the city next week.  Going to use a recipe of one part baking soda to three parts cheap acrylic craft paint and see how it works.

We moved into a 1988-built house a few years ago and the grout was beyond repair (it was practically black).  We had Stanley Steamer over trying to steam clean it and nothing helped.  We ended up having them paint the grout.  It wasn't cheap but it was certainly cheaper than re-tiling close to 3000 SF...

Two years later and the grout still looks great.  Unfortunately.  I was hoping to get all new tile :lol:

I've tried grout brushes, it's just too stained. 

The homemade chalk paint is amazing.  It took a little experimenting to figure out it was best to wait until it was dry to wipe it off the tiles (I'd read that might be difficult, but apparently not for glossy sealed tiles).  After it's dry it sticks to the grout and wipes off the tiles easily.  I've read a few people had good luck with just cheap acrylic craft paint, but chalk paint needs less prep.

I did about 20 tiles today as a test.  Now that I know I like it I'm going to spend some time tomorrow doing the rest.

Earlier this year, we put our house on the market.  I knew I needed to do something about our ceramic tile.  After 11 years, it looked nasty.  I'd spent way too many man hours over the years trying to hand scrub the grout with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, toothbrushes, etc. 

I found a company on Angie's List who did tile cleaning and color sealing of the grout.  Basically, they deep cleaned the ceramic tiles and then put some kind of pre-sealed grout on top of the existing grout.  They also did some minor tile and grout repair work.  The tile looked literally brand new.  After that, I couldn't stain my grout if I tried; everything just wiped up effortlessly.

In retrospect, I wish I'd had this done YEARS ago.  It would have saved me so much time, energy, and frustration.  And although it was somewhat expensive, it was still WAY cheaper than replacing the tile.