Menu

Who ranks posts with single stars???

Ginevra

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I go on record right now and say that I've NEVER intentionally visited anyone's profile page. EVERY trip to a profile page I have ever made has been a touch-screen accident where I instantly go back a page.

I think the number of purposeful profile page visits I've made is less than a baker's dozen.

I have noticed, to my horror, that there are about 6 or 7 posters who I routinely fat finger my way onto their profiles. I am pretty sure they think I'm stalking them......

Sorry!

Do you go to your own profile page?  Unless I'm changing my kid's names on my profile page I never ever go there.  I think you're safe.   ;) 

I think the number of purposeful profile page visits I've made is less than a baker's dozen.

I have noticed, to my horror, that there are about 6 or 7 posters who I routinely fat finger my way onto their profiles. I am pretty sure they think I'm stalking them......

Sorry!

Do you go to your own profile page? Unless I'm changing my kid's names on my profile page I never ever go there. I think you're safe. ;)

See, I do go to mine because I am able to navigate some things better from there.

I am assuming I am much less techno-savvy than most here though. So, you are probably right.

Thanks, I do feel better!

Sorry!

Oh, I rarely go to someone's profile page on purpose.  I also didn't know people could see who was visiting. 

I have gone to a profile and clicked on "find content" a few times when I was sure someone had posted something or when someone refers to a past thread but does not post the link.

But I don't want to be a stalker either so I guess I won't do that anymore.

Guest submarines

:smilielol5: So I went to check, and my personal rating, formerly at 5, is now at 4, which means at least a couple of 1 star ratings.

I never noticed we could star threads.  

You can also star posters on their profiles.  If you get in a disagreement with someone on here, your stars will probably go down.  Very, very petty.

I assumed I rate the thread / topic, not the person who posted it and not the first post. So it could be a controversial topic or something I don't personally agree with, but if it is discussed in a civil manner, and I'd be wow, great thread, 5 stars. Or if I learned something new. 5 stars.

Or if everyone is bickering, or posters gang up on the OP, I'd give it a 1 star. Tsk tsk tsk! Or I read through pages and pages and realize I wasted my time (my problem, I know) but the thread might get a 1 star--boring.

But I don't rate every thread I read. It gotta be either super exciting, or super bleh to make me scroll up and rate it.

So I admit, I've given a 1 star. And I've gotten 1 star. It never occurred to me  we are rating particular posters. I assumed we are rating a conversation. I've probably rated a thread down even if I agreed with the OP--if the thread went nuts, or something like that. I don't agree it is mean spirited to occasionally rate a topic down.

I'm sincerely sorry if I upset anyone. But I still maintain that "likes" are to show support to individual posters, and thread rating is just thread rating. It says "Rate Topic", not "Rate the OP."

If the OP saw that their thread was rated at one star, wouldn't they think it was because of their post?  

:smilielol5: So I went to check, and my personal rating, formerly at 5, is now at 4, which means at least a couple of 1 star ratings.

Did you know we have stars on our profiles as well?! I was messing around on my profile and noticed that. I am offended y'all don't think I am a five star kind of gal :p

eta: I really, REALLY, don't care if y'all like my cupcake and gnome fetishes anywho :p

I fived you both. And some random other that I clicked on also.

Seriously, who goes around down voting PEOPLE ?! 

You can also star posters on their profiles.  If you get in a disagreement with someone on here, your stars will probably go down.  Very, very petty.

Yep.  After ten active years here, I'm rarely around now but my "rating" reflects my mixed-bag reception of yesteryear.  It's amusing ~ more Seinfeldian than true to life.  Can't you hear Elaine, "They voted me down, Jerry!  Do you know what it feels like to have people take your stars away?!" :D

Join the club...I'm a formerly 5 as well...maybe we should think of it as a badge of honour...neither bland, not perfect, and with an ability to get under someone's skin :)

I like it.  The other day I told my football playing high schooler, "Your coach told me I'm the most unique person he's ever met."  I no sooner finished the sentence than my son lobbed back, "Did you take that as a compliment?"   Ah, yes I did, thankyouverymuch! ;)

We get stars on our profile?

If so, I'm a starless Sneech.

I don't star posts. If it's a good thread I'll read it, and if I've got an opinion or a suggestion, I may post. But how I feel about the topic really has no bearing on whether it might be helpful or fun for someone else. For instance, I might feel one-starrish about a cupcake thread, because I don't care for cupcakes, but not everybody DON'T like cupcakes... :D

I have occasionally brushed a profile and ended up there. It's sort of like accidentally knocking on a bathroom door in a public place when somebody is in there. I get all red and have to go do some laundry.

I didn't when I looked. Unless they are gray. I always thought those were for stars we could give out, you know, kind of like the LIKE limit. Or are gray stars real stars? Or just theoretical?

AHHHHHHHHH...get them off, get them off!!!!!Somebody randomly starred me! :lol:

Yep.  After ten active years here, I'm rarely around now but my "rating" reflects my mixed-bag reception of yesteryear.  It's amusing ~ more Seinfeldian than true to life.  Can't you hear Elaine, "They voted me down, Jerry!  Do you know what it feels like to have people take your stars away?!" :D

That just earned you five stars from me.  :P

I didn't when I looked. Unless they are gray. I always thought those were for stars we could give out, you know, kind of like the LIKE limit. Or are gray stars real stars? Or just theoretical?

AHHHHHHHHH...get them off, get them off!!!!!Somebody randomly starred me! :lol:

That's what I'll start doing when I fat finger my way onto a profile- give out stars!

I didn't realize you could do that until today.  If I were to take it personally based on the star rating my profile has, I'd never visit this website again.  People truly are petty and apparently I'm not very well liked on here.

I didn't realize you could do that until today. If I were to take it personally based on the star rating my profile has, I'd never visit this website again. People truly are petty and apparently I'm not very well liked on here.

I just gave you 5 stars .

I think it's horrible that someone would go to anyone's page just to give a low rating.

Apparently, I have had at least a few of them myself, but I probably deserved them. :)

You know, I don't see any reason why we have that feature. (Didn't actually pay much attention to it until I saw this thread.) I'm going to ask OtherJohn why we can't just get rid of it. Seems totally pointless to me.

SWB

Thanks! :)

I don't care either way, but I can definitely see how feelings could be hurt as a result of being consistently "one-starred."

I don't think it is mean spirited unless your reason for doing so has to do with your not liking the poster rather than the content. 

The poster has no way of knowing this though and when someone asks a question for help about something personal and someone makes a point to rate it low for whatever immature reason it is mean spirited, it is not helpful in anyway.

You know, I don't see any reason why we have that feature. (Didn't actually pay much attention to it until I saw this thread.) I'm going to ask OtherJohn why we can't just get rid of it. Seems totally pointless to me.

SWB

The feature that I love is the likes for a ton of reasons including practical ones (finding threads I lost but had an interest in, for one thing).  But I want more likes, please.  Pretty please?  I never seem to have enough for all the wonderful posts on this forum....

SWB

Wow, that would be awesome!

See, now that everyone has talked about the star ranking I've found myself looking at it more! *shakes fist at computer screen*

I also didn't notice them on the profiles before, either. Do people rate each other? Interesting... That's sort of... bizarre... :001_huh:

I did not know they existed on personal profiles. Now I must go check my profile.

All my curves and all my edges, all my perfect imperfections...

:D Why yes, I do song love songs to myself. I'm that special! :lol: