Menu

Dad claims land to make daughter a princess

Elfknitter.#

It's crazy.

But, my immediate thought on reading people's comments was -- people will do the same thing with gender. . . Transgendering their children because of some whim on the child's part. And then they expect everyone to accept and act normal. :confused1:

Not even close to the same thing.

I would be shocked to see a scientific study (from the last decade) that shows that parents can make their children transgendered.

>self-edit<

Wouldn't have been smarter of him to 'claim' and purchase a small investment property.....15 year note so she could either have steady income off it for years after it is paid for or sell it to pay for student loans. Either way a much more solid idea than 'claiming' some foreign dirt.

Haven't read the article--first impression is that he's just a dad doing something extravagent for his daughter because he loves her so much.

He's misguided and didn't think it through--so many good arguments against what he did, in this thread.

But in the end, I think he's just a dad who loves his daughter and wanted to do something really big to show it.

Hopefully someone will tell him how boneheaded this is, but I have to confess, there are parts of me that want to be loved that way--not my every whim indulged, but maybe a grand gesture or two, sometimes. Don't you all want something over the top and grand and "I can't believe you did that for me," sometimes?

Wouldn't have been smarter of him to 'claim' and purchase a small investment property.....15 year note so she could either have steady income off it for years after it is paid for or sell it to pay for student loans. Either way a much more solid idea than 'claiming' some foreign dirt.

She could join the SCA, learn to fight and earn a crown for herself! (Girl power, yay.) 6 months later when she's deposed, she'd still get to be a duchess or viscountess or something. I think more people would recognise that than their current play. The SCA has members. This new kingdom has nobody.

Haven't read the article--first impression is that he's just a dad doing something extravagent for his daughter because he loves her so much.

He's misguided and didn't think it through--so many good arguments against what he did, in this thread.

But in the end, I think he's just a dad who loves his daughter and wanted to do something really big to show it.

Hopefully someone will tell him how boneheaded this is, but I have to confess, there are parts of me that want to be loved that way--not my every whim indulged, but maybe a grand gesture or two, sometimes. Don't you all want something over the top and grand and "I can't believe you did that for me," sometimes?

When I was in junior high our class had the opportunity to take a week long trip to an environmental program (it was the rage in the 70's) and I knew there was no way we could afford for me to go so I didn't even ask. Lo and behold, on the day of signups, Mom gave me a signed permission slip and a check for the trip. I was surprised but delighted.  We had a great time on that trip, and it meant a lot to me.   I later- much later, like when I was an adult- found out that my dad sold back the only week of vacation he had earned to have the money to send me on that trip.  My folks had been going through a rough spell for about 4 years and he'd finally found a job that lasted long enough to earn vacation. 

Dad never told me that he did this, and to this day it's one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me.  That was a grand gesture for sure, and it sure made an impact since I still remember it fondly 40 years later.   

I think what is niggling at me is that so many people do nice things but do them  publicly so others can see how nice they are.   I hope this dad just very much loves his daughter and wasn't motivated by any internet fame or anything.   

It might but it also might not.  So he asking people to call her princess.  She wants to be a princess.  Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see it any differently then another nickname being bestowed on someone. A true princess is not a spoiled, vapid airhead.  

I find some of the things being said on this thread about a little girl whom none of us know kind of mean spirited.

I don't think anyone has said anything mean-spirited about the little girl.

It's not her fault that her father is a complete and utter loon.

Honestly, if I had a dd and my dh said he wanted to do something like that for her, I'd be having him committed to a 30-day psychiatric hold to try to figure out when his sanity had leapt off the rails.

This isn't sweet. It's bizarre.

Either that, or it's the story of a man who is shopping around for a reality show for his little Princess. And lots of money for himself... :rolleyes:

That dad might be really sorry he did that. She has a castle built into her bedroom, he traveled far and wide to claim land so she can be a princess...and she's only 7.   How is he going to top that from here on out?    Man, I would love to see what he does for her Sweet Sixteen.

Maybe there will be land up for grabs on Mars by then.

There you go, talking sense and rationality. :D

It's crazy.

But, my immediate thought on reading people's comments was -- people will do the same thing with gender. . . Transgendering their children because of some whim on the child's part. And then they expect everyone to accept and act normal.  :confused1:

Please explain what you mean cause I don't follow.

Please explain what you mean cause I don't follow.

I think she means when parents accept and support their child when said child identifies more as a boy or a girl.  For example, a girl wearing "boy's clothes" and keeping her hair short, etc...

A dad making his daughter a princess vs. a child's gender identification is an apples to oranges comparison, IMO.