Menu

Question about contractions in cursive

Piper

When writing contractions in cursive, do you make a break where the apostrophe goes, or do you complete the entire word without breaks and then go back and add the apostrophe?

For example, if you were writing the word  don't,  would you write  don  then put in the apostrophe then add the final  t  as a separated letter?  Or would you write  dont  then go back and put in the apostrophe?

LOL, I should have made this a poll! :laugh:  The variation in answers is really interesting, but it looks like so far the majority are going with a break.  Nice to know!  (I was never taught proper cursive, and I'd like to get it right for my dc.)

No break. It feels odd to me to stop and then continue. Isn't the entire point of cursive to have a constant handwriting flow with minimal stops?

Not necessarily. Cursive is how you write English; people have only recently used the constant-handwriting-flow-with-minimal-stops feature as a reason for teaching cursive. :-)

It never occurred to me to break, and I can't say that I've ever seen anyone else break either.  However, I haven't been looking for it, and it's not like I see many write in cursive anymore.  It makes sense, but I also don't see myself slowing down to put in breaks.  I do break for hyphens, but they take more space than apostrophes so I don't know how one could not break for them.  I learn something new every day!

This is so interesting.  I was taught a terrible mish-mash of methods for my cursive, with the result that I lift my pen at various random places throughout a word - but I find that I never lift or break for an apostrophe!  I think what I tend to do is make the join a little longer, to make space for the apostrophe, which is probably wildly incorrect!  As I said before, at least I'll get the chance to teach my dc properly. :)

I only recently realized that there was supposed to be a break.  I never do.  But I wasn't really taught cursive very well.  My handwriting is nice, and legible, but it's not really cursive...or print...  I'm teaching my girls to break.  DD resists...grrr

I do not break and add the apostrophe after like when dotting i's and crossing t's.  Even when I am printing, the space for my apostrophe is smaller than the space for my letters, although I do add the apostrophe before writing the next letter.  Interesting enough, I almost never join the capital letters to the lower case letter and my capitals look very similar in cursive and printing.  Many a teacher tried to correct me, but it's just my handwriting despite not being taught to do it this way.  This type of thing is probably one of those nuances that distinguish one's handwriting from another .