Menu

I finally did it! (depression update)

scrapbabe

I wrote a few months ago about my struggle with depression and needing to get help.  I finally had my husband call the doctor yesterday.  Then I spent the afternoon crying, humiliated, frightened, overwhelmed, scared, relieved, unsure. The nurse needed to consult the doctor (who is a good friend of ours).   The nurse called back within a few hours and the doctor had already called in a prescription.  He wants to see me in 4 weeks to see if the medication is working.  I am grateful, but scared.   Getting help and taking the road to recovery is every bit as overwhelming as the depression is.  I'm hoping in 4 weeks time I will have started to see some results.  Anyway, I just wanted to update.  Thanks for all of your advice and concern in the past.

You go!  This could be life-transforming.

And if it's not, that's ok too.  You've started the process, and there's always more than one way to find what you need.  A different med, therapy with someone you trust, regular sun and exercise are all possibilities.   

I'm learning to ask for help and so excited by what's changing for me.

Please update again, later!

Amy

That's great!  I'm glad you took that step, and I hope it works for you.  I would ask him to check your vitamin D levels, too.  You don't have to live up north and it be winter for them to be an issue.  I'm shocked at the number of people I know lately that have tested extremely low.  

I hope you feel better soon. I just wanted to say that the meds can make you feel 'odd' or have physical side effects in the first few weeks that don't last forever. Obviously discuss concerns with your doctor, but don't be too upset if you do have some side effects. I switched meds almost immediately due to bad stomach upsets, the second caused no physical problems but I was incredibly sleepy and 'floaty' for a few weeks. It was definitely worth it, I felt so much better once things settled down - it was good to be able to see life objectively again.

Just a quick question because I didn't read/see your previous thread. Have you had a really good physical lately to rule out any underlying illnesses that might be contributing to this? I'm just asking because it sounds like he just called them in without seeing you at all. ( But he may have seen you pretty recently.) I'm glad you are getting some help. Just wanted to make sure that any physical issues were addressed.

I'm not sure how to answer this. I had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed five years ago. I'm certain that plays a role, but since my thyroid levels are right where my endochronologist wants them, we can't alter that. They have to stay at a certain level to keep cancer from returning. My depression is most likely due to my health issues and too many stressful life changing events in my life all happening at the same time. I have checkups/physicals quite frequently. I will ask the doctor in four weeks about doing bloodwork, but although vitamin d deficiencies or something else might be a contributing factor I'm almost certain given the nature of my depression that they aren't the cause.

I hope you feel better soon. I just wanted to say that the meds can make you feel 'odd' or have physical side effects in the first few weeks that don't last forever. Obviously discuss concerns with your doctor, but don't be too upset if you do have some side effects. I switched meds almost immediately due to bad stomach upsets, the second caused no physical problems but I was incredibly sleepy and 'floaty' for a few weeks. It was definitely worth it, I felt so much better once things settled down - it was good to be able to see life objectively again.

. Thank you. Good to know. I have been feeling extremely floaty the past twelve hours. I feel like I took way too much cold medicine.