Menu

This is what I've been doing for the last couple of weeks

jenn&charles

plums1.jpg

That pile took us about 7 hours or so to prep (the picture was taken after some were already processed).

After we finished the plums we had nectarines and some apricots to deal with.

My dehydrator is going and I've got bags of chopped up fruit in the freezer ready to be turned into jam, cobblers and fruit roll-ups!

Anyone want to come over and help me when the peaches are ready? LOL

plums1.jpg

That pile took us about 7 hours or so to prep (the picture was taken after some were already processed).

After we finished the plums we had nectarines and some apricots to deal with.

My dehydrator is going and I've got bags of chopped up fruit in the freezer ready to be turned into jam, cobblers and fruit roll-ups!

Anyone want to come over and help me when the peaches are ready? LOL

Me! Me! Me!

I think we are pretty far from each other, though, if those are fresh local fruits for you.

:-(

Are those Santa Rosas. We just picked our from our back yard branch (we have a fruit salad tree, so one branch is Santa Rosa plums, one is Fantasia nectarines and one branch is Elberta peach) and those look exactly like ours. Yumm! We're eating some for lunch right now!

My mom had a similar situation every summer but no dehydrator. She would use old clean screen doors, lay them on the ground, put the fruit on top, out another screen on top, and seal the edges. She dried lots of fruit at once in this way.

Are those Santa Rosas. We just picked our from our back yard branch (we have a fruit salad tree, so one branch is Santa Rosa plums, one is Fantasia nectarines and one branch is Elberta peach) and those look exactly like ours. Yumm! We're eating some for lunch right now!

Yes, they are Santa Rosas. They are so good! That's neat that you have a fruit salad tree. We tried a 3-in-one cherry tree but it died. :-(

Wow!  That looks like a lot.  Our peaches didn't do well this year, so we won't have any to can.  I'm a bit sad about it, but I won't miss not doing the work. 

Sorry about your peaches, but I know what you mean about the work. That's the only downside to having a bunch of fruit trees - that and maybe the mess of fallen fruit if too much falls to the ground.

The thing I really hate is that you have to process the fruit RIGHT THEN AND THERE or it goes bad. I didn't exactly feel like dealing with 7 hours of work from the plums, but just had to or it would have been a waste.

My mom had a similar situation every summer but no dehydrator. She would use old clean screen doors, lay them on the ground, put the fruit on top, out another screen on top, and seal the edges. She dried lots of fruit at once in this way.

That's funny!  My grandmother and great-grandmother did the same thing! The only difference was that my grandmother would would lay the screens on an old sheet on a bed in an upstairs bedroom. The house, needless to say, was not air conditioned at that time.