Menu

Snack Ideas for 170 campers

mom31257

We are going to be providing snack at a local camp for underprivileged children. The camp asks for individually wrapped snacks and said cookies, crackers, etc. are okay. Kroger has Keebler cookies on a really good sale ($.99 each), so we might purchase enough to give each child 2, but I'd love to put something healthy with it. We can package the stuff ourselves.

Any ideas?

When our church used to do VBS we always had popcorn plus something else. When I was in charge of snacks we did popcorn, a fruit, and something else. Fruit gets expensive but it was very appreciated. Blueberries were in season so we did that a couple of days (put them in small cups). Around here we could go pick our own blueberries at a blueberry farm--grocery store berries would probably be prohibitively expensive. Watermelon slices were popular too. We always did popcorn in cups but ziploc bags would work too.

Does individually wrapped mean fully encased? It's easy to put ranch dressing in the bottom of a drink cup, and fill the cup with baby carrots.

How filling are the meals at camp? I'd be looking for something to fill kids up so they won't go hungry....cheese and crackers or something heavier if the kids are over 8 years of age.

In terms of cute but practical, there's always variations of this idea: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/547539267167884233/

Prepping for 170 takes time, though, so perhaps stuff that is easy to pre-purchase would be best if time is scarcer than money.

I wouldn't do cookies.  I'd rather choose food that will nourish and fill.  
Can you do individual baggies of GORP?  A mix of nuts, raisins, maybe baby pretzels, and if you are ok with it a teeny smattering of m&m's?  That way the kids can eat the parts they like.

An apple?  A banana?  Already individually wrapped and healthy.

Discount produce stores often have smaller fruit - small apples, small oranges, etc - which would be perfect for this.  You might be able to arrange in advance to purchase in bulk.  Ask around if you have friends in food service; they will know where to find such things at the best prices.

I think grapes or apple slices alongside 2 cookies would be a great idea. It would be tough to get 170 bananas at the correct level of ripeness, lol, lots of kids don't like raisins, and I'd hesitate to do nuts with so many allergies out there. Baby carrots are good, too, but most kids I know eat them with a dip. 

I'd ask to speak to the produce manager at my grocery. If you let him know you will need a large quantity of fruit on such-and-such day, he might give you a good price! Especially if you are flexible and willing to take some apples, some grapes, whatever he has an abundance of. 

Cleaning, cutting, and packing into ziplocs can go pretty quickly if you set up an assembly line. If you slice apples yourself, remember to use Fruit Fresh or something. 

Another idea is breakfast cereal. Just about every kid I know loves to snack on dry cereal. 

99 cents for an individual pack of cookies sounds expensive to me.  I think it would be much cheaper at Costco or Sam's Club.

I would actually speak to the produce manager at Sam's or Kroger's and see if they'll give you a deal so you can provide fresh fruit as part of the snack.  Heck, being in GA, can you get peaches? :)

I would want to do something with more protein/staying power…so I like the ideas of GORP or something similar.  

This is a wonderful thing you're doing and I'm sure anything you do will be appreciated.  

Are they ok with items that need refrigeration? We've done camps and theater programs with that many kids and we're asked to bring things individually wrapped for ease of distribution AND because any leftovers can be saved for the next day. Sometimes a kid can't have something due to an allergy so we rummage through the bin of snacks from earlier in the week and find something the kid can have.  

The programs we work with don't want anything that needs refrigeration or that needs utensils, even if we provide the spoons. They just don't want to deal with it. But maybe your camp is much more open to a variety of snacks.  

That's nice of you to provide enough for all 170 kids! We're usually asked to bring enough for 60 or so, and have several people sign up each day to cover the number needed and to eliminate any worry of a parent forgetting the day's snack. 

We won't have to worry about things sitting for awhile because we are going to be taking the snacks to the camp at snack time and pass them out as a family. They want us to interact with the kids while we do it. 

That sounds like a great family service activity!