Menu

Kiddie Beverage Ideas

Thanks for all the ideas.  The kids (and I) love real lemonade ... but it does take some time, effort, and forethought.  

I think the experimentation will be a great summer activity!

(and sorry for the capitalization ... after trying so hard to craft the title of the post, I guess I had a brain lapse!)  :)

For a few months my kids were fascinated by frozen raspberries in seltzer. Science and a snack :)

We do herbal teas mostly. Sometimes I make them a very weak coffee (80 percent milk, 20 percent coffee), but with discretion.

I give my kids tea . . .black tea with caffeine, sugar, and milk. I'm creating little fellow addicts. My daughter took a school trip to London and the running joke among her group was that she drank more tea than the British. My son and I have a morning AND evening cup of Irish breakfast tea each day. (My kids are teens. They didn't drink THIS much tea in elementary school.)

For alternatives, I'd offer juice, lemonade, sassafras tea, flavored water, iced herbal/tea blends, or even popsicles or Italian ices. We have a soda stream and make sparkling juices.

I brew up a large batch of mint tea in a gallon-size mason jar at night and let it cool. Then into to the fridge it goes to chill and is available to quench thirst all through the next day or two. I don't add any sweetener to it because we all drink it and not all of us like sweet tea. Those who do add honey as desired.