Menu

WWYD re: birthday party

Tranquility7

For DS's 8th birthday we would like to have a water war party.  Super Soakers, water balloons/sponges, etc.  The only problem is we don't have ANY water guns.  I don't mind spending some money on water guns, but I want to get good ones, not the seriously cheapo ones that hardly hold any water and hardly shoot any distance.  I'm looking at water guns that cost about $10 each.

We are inviting kids from four families, for a total of 9 boys and 7 girls.  They are all in the age range where they will probably want to participate in the water fight.  Thing is, though, I really don't want to buy 16 water guns!!  :P  How many water guns do you think I need to provide?  Do you think it is tacky for me to ask people to bring guns if they have them?  (I already asked that of two of the moms I know well, but unfortunately they don't have any.)  These are really nice kiddos so I'm wondering if I can just provide maybe 8 guns and expect them to share (the ones without guns can use water balloons or play on the slip-n-slide or whatever?).  Or would that disappoint them too much?

A friend of ours has done an Airsoft "Capture the Flag" game at their house for their son's birthday for two years now. She invited everyone to come and asked them to bring Airsoft guns if they had one, but emphasized that if they didn't, there would be a couple to borrow (extras in their family and asked others to bring any they were willing to share), and also other things to do during the game (e.g., being a spy/scout). So in comparison, Airsoft guns are on a more expensive level, but the game/activity worked with her asking and attendees sharing. I say ask, buy what you can (maybe check a thrift store for the better water guns??), and just have fun. Water balloons might be a fun and cheap extra. The kids filling them would also take a certain amount of time. 

Erica in OR

The dollar store near me has these huge water cannons for $1 each.  They look like long foam tubes that you pump and they shoot huge streams of water. Even though they might not last, at a dollar a piece you can have a few extra just in case and still be providing for everyone.  I think it's an odd thing for guests to bring and if someone forgets theirs it would be awkward.

A friend of ours has done an Airsoft "Capture the Flag" game at their house for their son's birthday for two years now. She invited everyone to come and asked them to bring Airsoft guns if they had one, but emphasized that if they didn't, there would be a couple to borrow (extras in their family and asked others to bring any they were willing to share), and also other things to do during the game (e.g., being a spy/scout). So in comparison, Airsoft guns are on a more expensive level, but the game/activity worked with her asking and attendees sharing. I say ask, buy what you can (maybe check a thrift store for the better water guns??), and just have fun. Water balloons might be a fun and cheap extra. The kids filling them would also take a certain amount of time. 

Erica in OR

Water balloons are a good idea too - You can fill them up ahead of time and keep them in buckets.  I've also seen water balloon Sling-shots I think at target or Walmart.

We always used those water ball things from the dollar store. They can be thrown or used to just "throw" the water, if that makes sense.

We put out buckets full of water for "reloading".

Family Fun magazine usually has fun water play ideas.

Eta: the water cannons/plunger things sound cool!

We've had a couple of water-gun fight birthday parties and a few nerf gun fight parties. We said that's what it was on the invitation and put to bring a gun if they one. Most people did. Many people brought a new water/nerf gun (depending on the party) for the birthday child as the present, which then gave us several to use as extras for the party (birthday boy and sibs used the new ones, friends borrowed our old ones). We also had told ds that we'd get him a new water/nerf gun as part of his birthday present and give it to him before the party to make sure we'd have some extra. 

We've also found that some of the smaller less expensive Nerf squirt guns work just as well or better, the kids don't like them as much because they aren't as fancy but they are simpler and work well. Once I bought a couple of packs of those to be the favors (I think they were like $10 for a pack of 3)  and then if kids didn't have their own for the fight they had that as a option. 

We did this at cub camp - and we used 5 gallon buckets all over the place and the pool type suck-in-water plunger guns ($4-$5/ea). SO MUCH BETTER than super soarers. The kids reload faster, everyone got soaked, there was no gun ($$) supremecy. It was a blast - and no lost / broken / missing guns or have / have not issues. Have fun!!!!

Our friends have a water fight birthday for their ds every year. They tell everyone to bring their own water squirting devices, and they provide a few extra. They get cheap ones from the dollar store.

If you provide water guns for everyone, the squirters could do double duty and be party favors to go home with the guests.

Cat

5 gallon pails full of water balloons with a station to make more, the foam pump ones everyone has been talking about, pool toys that are a foam ball that soaks up water, maybe the athlete jersy's to make teams, slip and slid (or tarp to make the same, giant water blob, sprinkler,...

It doesn't just have to be squirt guns.

If you use the ones that will be played with as favors, be sure to have a few extras in case one turns out to be a dud or gets broken during play.

YES!

My son got a water gun at a birthday party that DIDN"T work :( He was so sad and left out. Because they were handed out at the beginning and that's what the kids were playing with, of course.