Menu

What kind of mattress do you have, and do you like it?

Xuzi

DH and I are in sore need of a new mattress. There's a bunch of sales this weekend, so we thought we'd take advantage of them and get a new one. We don't have a lot of $$ to spend on anything fancy, but we also don't need to go super cheap. So, what brands are good? Which ones give you good support without having to shell out a bunch of money? Have you bought a mattress you love, or one you hate? Why do you love/hate it?

TIA!

We cringed at spending the money but after spending $1000 on a mattress that totally failed within two years, we bit the bullet and doubled that, buying a Tempurpedic.  We absolutely love it.  We've had it six years so far and no problems with it.  Very comfortable...the only bed I've ever been able to sleep in on my back.  Some say they're warmer than other mattresses but we haven't experienced that. 

We cringed at spending the money but after spending $1000 on a mattress that totally failed within two years, we bit the bullet and doubled that, buying a Tempurpedic.  We absolutely love it.  We've had it six years so far and no problems with it.  Very comfortable...the only bed I've ever been able to sleep in on my back.  Some say they're warmer than other mattresses but we haven't experienced that. 

BIL & SIL got a Tempurpedic and like it so far. I'd love to upgrade, but it's not in the budget for now. Thanks for posting this.

DH and I are in sore need of a new mattress. There's a bunch of sales this weekend, so we thought we'd take advantage of them and get a new one. We don't have a lot of $$ to spend on anything fancy, but we also don't need to go super cheap. So, what brands are good? Which ones give you good support without having to shell out a bunch of money? Have you bought a mattress you love, or one you hate? Why do you love/hate it?

TIA!

We got a Bed-in-a-Box mattress and it's the MOST comfortable mattress I have EVER had. Before getting it, we did a lot of research. I would have liked a TempeurPedic, but they are way out of our price range. I'm glad we went with the Bed in a Box. We got the least expensive model - the PacBed original - with the extra 11" thickness.

Ever since we got it, I have been sleeping so much better. I used to wake up sore and stiff. That has been reduced by about 85%. I guess I can't get rid of that 100%. I'm getting older and that just seems to be the way life is now, lol - but wow, it really has made a HUGE difference.

There are no longer any pressure points that keep me tossing and turning either. My husband has also slept more deeply on it and oddly enough, he hasn't snored once on this mattress. I'm not sure if it's because he's sleeping in a different position or what, but it seems to ceased completely - or maybe I'm just sleeping deeper??

I also don't wake him up as much when I get up in the middle of the night to pee. ;-) When I get back in bed, there is no or very little mattress movement so it doesn't disturb him like it used to with our old spring mattress (which registered every little movement). 

The foam is so comfortable, but it supports. I never get a sore back from sleeping on it and my shoulder and neck feel so much more comfy and don't get sore like they used to with the other bed. Also, my arm never goes to sleep when I put it under my pillow anymore. I used to wake up with it half dead and tingling, but this mattress cradles everything just so.

It's just so comfortable and I'm sleeping so much better. I LOVE our mattress and will never go back to the other kind again.

I love our mattress.

We have a hand stitched, green cotton and wool mattress. No chemicals. No fire retardant other than the wool. No outgassing.

We ordered from white lotus. They personally delivered it, which shocked us given the distance.

They always have coupon codes.

The cost was similar to a department store mattress.

DS no longer has night wakings due to asthma, yay!

Latex. Looooooove it. The company we bought ours from has been bought by another company, and I haven't ordered from the new one. We've bought three latex mattresses from SleepEZ for the kids and are very happy with all of them. Call and tell them what you like and they'll make recommendations for you.

Another Tempurpedic lover! We have had ours 5 years and I would never sleep on anything else.  I am in misery whenever we have gone away and I have had to sleep on a different mattress. And so far two of our kids each have one.  My oldest because I wanted to get him a queen size because he is so tall and figured why waste the money on one we might not be pleased with. Then my 3yo always coslept until we had our new guy.  When he transitioned to his bed he slept absolutely terrible and tossed and turned.  We bought him a Tempurpedic and his sleep became perfect again.  He was just use to our mattress. I figure we spend a good portion of our life in bed sleeping we should invest in the best option we can, plus I am super cranky when I do not have a good nights sleep ;)

Tempur Pedic, the extra firm one, given to us by my in-laws. Very comfortable but the off gassing scares me. We have had it 8 years, so most of that is gone - now that we have inhaled it all :001_huh: ! I would definitely get a 100% latex one if money was no option.

We have had a Stearns and Foster for the past 11 years. It's been a great mattress, but I'm thinking it might be soon time to replace it. I've been waking up some mornings feeling a little stiff.

I'm not really interested in a tempurepedic (the off-gassing I've read about freaks me out, plus don't they make people hot?)

I'd love to find something that is high quality and as comfortable as ours has been this past 11 years, preferably for not much more than $2,000.

Tempurpedic. Love it!!!

Had it almost 10 years and don't regret the investment.

Same!!!! Ours might be 8 years old. We LOVE it and would definitely buy one again.

FWIW I slept on a friend's sleep number - it was awful. Made me think of an overpriced air mattress. Terrible.

jenn&charles, umsami, and AngelaNYC, how long have you had your mattresses?

We got a Bed-in-a-Box mattress and it's the MOST comfortable mattress I have EVER had. Before getting it, we did a lot of research. I would have liked a TempeurPedic, but they are way out of our price range. I'm glad we went with the Bed in a Box. We got the least expensive model - the PacBed original - with the extra 11" thickness.

Ever since we got it, I have been sleeping so much better. I used to wake up sore and stiff. That has been reduced by about 85%. I guess I can't get rid of that 100%. I'm getting older and that just seems to be the way life is now, lol - but wow, it really has made a HUGE difference.

There are no longer any pressure points that keep me tossing and turning either. My husband has also slept more deeply on it and oddly enough, he hasn't snored once on this mattress. I'm not sure if it's because he's sleeping in a different position or what, but it seems to ceased completely - or maybe I'm just sleeping deeper??

I also don't wake him up as much when I get up in the middle of the night to pee. ;-) When I get back in bed, there is no or very little mattress movement so it doesn't disturb him like it used to with our old spring mattress (which registered every little movement). 

The foam is so comfortable, but it supports. I never get a sore back from sleeping on it and my shoulder and neck feel so much more comfy and don't get sore like they used to with the other bed. Also, my arm never goes to sleep when I put it under my pillow anymore. I used to wake up with it half dead and tingling, but this mattress cradles everything just so.

It's just so comfortable and I'm sleeping so much better. I LOVE our mattress and will never go back to the other kind again.

We have a "Better than Latex" mattress we got at Sam's Club and I love it to death.  Couldn't afford a 100% latex, so went with this.  It's part latex, part memory foam.

Best mattress I've ever owned.

We have a Bob O Pedic Gel mattress.   Dh and I agree it's the best, most comfortable mattress we've ever had.  I finally get the best sleep, no back pain, and I don't get up during the night.  

jenn&charles, umsami, and AngelaNYC, how long have you had your mattresses?

We've had ours a year.  There is absolutely NO change from the first day we got it.  And the gel is supposed to keep it cooler.  Every other mattress I've had (both spring and foam) caused me to wake up with a pain in my back, numb arms & shoulders, and/or stiff hips after a few months.  Now I wake up feeling so good and actually wide awake - not tired like I always have.

We've had ours a year.  There is absolutely NO change from the first day we got it.  And the gel is supposed to keep it cooler.  Every other mattress I've had (both spring and foam) caused me to wake up with a pain in my back, numb arms & shoulders, and/or stiff hips after a few months.  Now I wake up feeling so good and actually wide awake - not tired like I always have.

Thank you. I don't know when we can get a new mattress, but we need one.

I appreciate all these responses. 

OK, now I'm certainly bugging you, but which firmness did you choose (and how firm is it, do you like your beds)? 

I see these options: dual, firm and plush.

I need to go read more about that bed...and all the beds mentioned here. 

OK, now I'm certainly bugging you, but which firmness did you choose (and how firm is it, do you like your beds)? 

I see these options: dual, firm and plush.

I need to go read more about that bed...and all the beds mentioned here. 

LOL, not bugging me at all.  We went with FIRM.  It is pretty firm.  See if you can visit a Bob's store and lay on both the firm and the plush and see which you like better.  Roll around a lot.